PDA

View Full Version : RT Shocks on GS/RS

WaltH
03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Like Firefly, I too have installed RT shock absorbers on my 2009 GS. My delivered cost for two shocks was $204 and I had to buy a spring compressor because the shocks do not come assembled. You must order the five part numbers separately. I got the spring compressor from Northern Tool at a cost of $30.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396119_200396119

With the aid of the spring compressor, this is not a difficult job.

There is a noticeable difference in how the Spyder feels, but I don’t know how much of this is because the RT shocks are “stiffer” and how much is just due to the fact that my OEM shocks had a lot of miles (42,500 miles). Both old and new shocks are set at maximum preload. I only have about 300 miles on the new shocks so I don’t know yet what I think of them. Cornering is good, but the ride may be a little “hard”. If so, I may want to back down the adjustment one notch. We shall see. So far, my miles have been mostly on the highway. I need some country roads to let the new shocks show me what they can do. I will post on this when I get some better information.

The handling and cornering of my Spyder is also improved by a performance sway bar and the use of car tires on the front (along with maximum preload). My Spyder handles and corners much, much better than it did when I first got it. The car tires account for a lot of this. I would urge every Spyder owner to consider this alternative.

It was Lamont’s idea to retrofit the RT shocks to the GS/RS. When Lamont thinks, the earth shifts on its axis. Now I wish he would think about the rear shock absorber.:2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Sounds good to me. I hope they perform better than you expect once you start hitting the twisties. :thumbup:

bone crusher
03-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Like Firefly, I too have installed RT shock absorbers on my 2009 GS. My delivered cost for two shocks was $204 and I had to buy a spring compressor because the shocks do not come assembled. You must order the five part numbers separately. I got the spring compressor from Northern Tool at a cost of $30.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396119_200396119

With the aid of the spring compressor, this is not a difficult job.

There is a noticeable difference in how the Spyder feels, but I don’t know how much of this is because the RT shocks are “stiffer” and how much is just due to the fact that my OEM shocks had a lot of miles (42,500 miles). Both old and new shocks are set at maximum preload. I only have about 300 miles on the new shocks so I don’t know yet what I think of them. Cornering is good, but the ride may be a little “hard”. If so, I may want to back down the adjustment one notch. We shall see. So far, my miles have been mostly on the highway. I need some country roads to let the new shocks show me what they can do. I will post on this when I get some better information.

The handling and cornering of my Spyder is also improved by a performance sway bar and the use of car tires on the front (along with maximum preload). My Spyder handles and corners much, much better than it did when I first got it. The car tires account for a lot of this. I would urge every Spyder owner to consider this alternative.

It was Lamont’s idea to retrofit the RT shocks to the GS/RS. When Lamont thinks, the earth shifts on its axis. Now I wish he would think about the rear shock absorber.:2thumbs:

Not fair...you have too many other issues affecting shock stiffness to get an accurate assessment...42.5k miles and a sway bar make a huge difference...I think that someone without too many miles and a sway bar would have to chime in on this one...I've head the sway bar is a great mod...there are just too many mods right now...argh!!!!

Lamonster
03-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Not fair...you have too many other issues affecting shock stiffness to get an accurate assessment...42.5k miles and a sway bar make a huge difference...I think that someone without too many miles and a sway bar would have to chime in on this one...I've head the sway bar is a great mod...there are just too many mods right now...argh!!!!
I went from new Elka's to new RT's, is that fair? :dontknow:

bone crusher
03-17-2010, 10:16 PM
I went from new Elka's to new RT's, is that fair? :dontknow:

haha...you have all the good mods! No, you don't count either...you were already 'juiced' before you made the change...

I don't even have the sway bar yet....yet! I'll get there sooner or later! :D

WaltH
04-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I now have 3,400 miles on my RT shocks and I am very pleased. The ride was a little harsh on some secondary roads, so I reduced the pre-load one notch to #4 on the adjuster ring. The cornering is great.

Firefly
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I now have 3,400 miles on my RT shocks and I am very pleased. The ride was a little harsh on some secondary roads, so I reduced the pre-load one notch to #4 on the adjuster ring. The cornering is great.

Glad to hear it! :thumbup:

I'm running my preload on #3 and life is good! Nowhere near the amount of 'roll' I had with the other ones set on #4. Not as much bounce either.

Did quite a bit of ryding with Someguy on Friday..... ask him how well I took the curves....;) And I was taking it a bit easy....:thumbup:

ThreeWheels
04-05-2010, 09:21 PM
What the heck are you people talking about?
My RT is too SOFT. I wish I could find stiffer shocks/springs for it.
How is it then, that RT shocks are stiffening your ride ?

Firefly
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Spyder RS/GS weighs considerably less.

SpyderWolf
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM

The GS/RS weighs about 200 pounds less than the RT and is no where near as top heavy. :thumbup:

WaltH
04-06-2010, 07:31 AM

The RT shocks are "stiffer" than the OEM shocks for the GS/RS, so this represents an upgrade for us. The RT shocks alone would not be adequate for me, even on a GS/RS. I also have the performance sway bar and car tires all around running at 35 psi. The car tires reduce tire roll and body roll. The first thing I would do with a new RT is to max-out the pre-load and then get some car tires while I waited for the sway bar to become available. If that isn't enough, I would get some after-market shocks.

docdoru
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
The GS/RS weighs about 200 pounds less than the RT and is no where near as top heavy. :thumbup:
With some exceptions...:D

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg?t=1270557689

SpyderWolf
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
With some exceptions...:D

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00567-1.jpg?t=1270557689

You sir are always an exception. :2thumbs: