PDA

View Full Version : ESI up and out install / review

Firefly
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, I installed the new Up and out mirror extensions today. Pretty simple to do. I cut the wires and used the included Posi-taps because I was lazy and in a hurry to finish these so I could ride in the heatwave we had in Michigan today (63!)

Anyhow... it went well... other than when I first mated the parts up and they didn't come close to fitting.....:yikes:. In my haste I had not yet removed the Kewlmetal extensions....:roflblack: Duh!

So I removed those and then everything lined up just fine.:thumbup:

I was a bit confused as to where to install the enclosed washer(s) --- but I had to install them as without there was still 'play' between the mirror and the ESI extension. I enclosed a photo of where I installed the washer--- hope that was the right place--- it tightened things up just fine and there is no 'play' now.

The fit and finish is GREAT.:thumbup: They really look like they belong on the bike.

I've also enclosed a photo of the ESI and Kewlmetal units side by side. Notice the notches on the ESI unit.... very important part of this assembly.

My Kewlmetal ones were moving all over no matter how tight I had them. Now I know why. I didn't even notice there were notches on the stock units when I removed them. You can see the finish rubbed off them from the movement. This is probably where Matt says you can add a 'star washer' to keep it from moving. The washer would have to be on the bottom of the plastic bushing in order to 'grab' the detents that the notched piece should mate up to.

Went for a 60 mile ride today--- these units STAY in place. Vibration wasn't too bad at the higher speeds either. :thumbup:

Over all--- very happy with these. :thumbup:

Magic Man
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Well, I installed the new Up and out mirror extensions today. Pretty simple to do. I cut the wires and used the included Posi-taps because I was lazy and in a hurry to finish these so I could ride in the heatwave we had in Michigan today (63!)

Anyhow... it went well... other than when I first mated the parts up and they didn't come close to fitting.....:yikes:. In my haste I had not yet removed the Kewlmetal extensions....:roflblack: Duh!

So I removed those and then everything lined up just fine.:thumbup:

I was a bit confused as to where to install the enclosed washer(s) --- but I had to install them as without there was still 'play' between the mirror and the ESI extension. I enclosed a photo of where I installed the washer--- hope that was the right place--- it tightened things up just fine and there is no 'play' now.

The fit and finish is GREAT.:thumbup: They really look like they belong on the bike.

I've also enclosed a photo of the ESI and Kewlmetal units side by side. Notice the notches on the ESI unit.... very important part of this assembly.

My Kewlmetal ones were moving all over no matter how tight I had them. Now I know why. I didn't even notice there were notches on the stock units when I removed them. You can see the finish rubbed off them from the movement. This is probably where Matt says you can add a 'star washer' to keep it from moving. The washer would have to be on the bottom of the plastic bushing in order to 'grab' the detents that the notched piece should mate up to.

Went for a 60 mile ride today--- these units STAY in place. Vibration wasn't too bad at the higher speeds either. :thumbup:

Over all--- very happy with these. :thumbup:

You did perfect with the washer. :clap:

Glad you like them.:thumbup:

MM