PDA

View Full Version : Getting a second ride

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Okay, so I look at the Spyder as a stepping stone...now I want a motorcycle. I'm going to keep my Spyder but I've decided I'd like a motorcycle as well, so I have more options and when the spyder is having maintenence or whatever I'll still have a ride besides my car.

Since I'm petite I've narrowed it down to three bikes that will be suitable given my size: Honda Rebel, Lowered 250 Ninja, or a Buell Blast. What are the pros and cons of these bikes? I looked and read that all are good for a first time rider, but I don't know if they are known for certain issues.

ataDude
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Okay, so I look at the Spyder as a stepping stone...now I want a motorcycle. I'm going to keep my Spyder but I've decided I'd like a motorcycle as well, so I have more options and when the spyder is having maintenence or whatever I'll still have a ride besides my car.

Since I'm petite I've narrowed it down to three bikes that will be suitable given my size: Honda Rebel, Lowered 250 Ninja, or a Buell Blast. What are the pros and cons of these bikes? I looked and read that all are good for a first time rider, but I don't know if they are known for certain issues.

You should be able to get a heck of a deal on a Buell... as Harley has shuttered them. Service work/warranty repairs are still done at Harley dealerships.

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
You should be able to get a heck of a deal on a Buell... as Harley has shuttered them. Service work/warranty repairs are still done at Harley dealerships.

I've noticed the Buells are rather cheap. They are stopping production? Is that what you mean by shuttered?

ataDude
03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I've noticed the Buells are rather cheap. They are stopping production? Is that what you mean by shuttered?

They stopped production a couple of months ago. Buell (a Harley subsidiary) is now gone from the manufacturing business... a shame.

One of my riding buds bought a Buell XB-12 (I think) a couple of months ago for about $7k... list was about $11k.

boborgera
03-15-2010, 04:55 PM

They're out completely Harley had to cut costs some how.
They just couldn't sell enough bikes.

Sarge707
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Have you seen UTubes of the Piaggio MP3 250 or 500??
Great turner and safer like the Spyder!

xpeschon
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
First of all I understand you being petite however,,You will be throwing your money away if you purchase a 250cc... I would recommend the Honda Aero 750, big enough to do about what ever you want.. The bike frame is crafted just perfect.. Seat is 21 inches off the ground, handle bars are perfect and it gives a nice ride.. Price nicely as well but I believe most members will tell you to stay away from the 250..

Folks is just my 2 cents worth,, Don't feel very good about the whole Buell thing going on..

Joe (X)

PS: Good luck you won't regret it for sure..

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 05:45 PM
First of all I understand you being petite however,,You will be throwing your money away if you purchase a 250cc... I would recommend the Honda Aero 750, big enough to do about what ever you want.. The bike frame is crafted just perfect.. Seat is 21 inches off the ground, handle bars are perfect and it gives a nice ride.. Price nicely as well but I believe most members will tell you to stay away from the 250..

Folks is just my 2 cents worth,, Don't feel very good about the whole Buell thing going on..

Joe (X)

PS: Good luck you won't regret it for sure..

The problem with that is the weight. I've sat on those and when I went to hold it up I found it is just too much weight on my lower back. I have to go for something lighter, so from the best I can tell those are my options.

xpeschon
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
OK I understand however, once you mastered the smaller bike ( and it won't take long) you will want to get into something bigger.. Again the best of luck and this is only my 2 cents worth..

Joe

Bersquack
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I bought myself a HD Iron 883 last August. The purist will say it's a half-harley, but I really like it.

I thought it was a great choice for a first two-wheeler.

BRPjunkie
03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Having tasted the power of the Spyder, a 250 will feel anemic. That said, I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and the Honda Rebel is a hoot. It is only 300 lbs, has very manageble power (or lack therof), easy clutch, low seat (25") and confidence inspiring handling. They are about $3,300 new and can be found at reasonable prices used. Air cooled parallel twin with the only maintenance, chain lube. It is a great around town ride and there are some who have ridden the little Rebel cross country. Yes you can move up to bigger bikes, but you quickly reach 500 - 600 lbs. The Rebel is simplicity defined and bulletproof. If you do outgrow it, it is an easy sell as there are always people looking for one. Even with depreciation, you can't lose much. I guess you always have fond memories of early girlfriends and early bikes.

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Having tasted the power of the Spyder, a 250 will feel anemic. That said, I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and the Honda Rebel is a hoot. It is only 300 lbs, has very manageble power (or lack therof), easy clutch, low seat (25") and confidence inspiring handling. They are about $3,300 new and can be found at reasonable prices used. Air cooled parallel twin with the only maintenance, chain lube. It is a great around town ride and there are some who have ridden the little Rebel cross country. Yes you can move up to bigger bikes, but you quickly reach 500 - 600 lbs. The Rebel is simplicity defined and bulletproof. If you do outgrow it, it is an easy sell as there are always people looking for one. Even with depreciation, you can't lose much. I guess you always have fond memories of early girlfriends and early bikes.

I am just looking for a run around the town bike. I really doubt I'll ever move up as my back can't handle it. I know it won't go as fast as the spyder, but that is okay I'm not a speed junkie anyway.

ataDude
03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
One more thought on the Blast. The larger Buells have either a modified Sportster 1200cc or Rotax 1125cc engine in them.

The Blast's single cylinder 500cc engine appears to be a one-off, Buell-only engine... at least the upper... or maybe it's a half of a Sportster... not sure.

At some point in the future, certain parts unique to the Blast may become rather rare.

The Honda has been around for a while and probably will continue for a while.

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
OK I understand however, once you mastered the smaller bike ( and it won't take long) you will want to get into something bigger.. Again the best of luck and this is only my 2 cents worth..

Joe

I may want to get into something bigger, but my back can't hack it so it will be a no go!

BRPjunkie
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
One more thought on the Blast. The larger Buells have either a modified Sportster 1200cc or Rotax 1125cc engine in them.

The Blast's single cylinder 500cc engine appears to be a one-off, Buell-only engine... at least the upper... or maybe it's a half of a Sportster... not sure.

At some point in the future, certain parts unique to the Blast may become rather rare.

HD will service Buell for awhile, but eventually parts and service will disappear. Rebel hasn't changed in 20 years and parts and service are easy. Oil change a breeze even for a novice. Only used plugs, bulbs and chains. Never had a single engine repair on the two that we owned. Even though there are passenger pegs, forget about it. MC Enterprises has an assortment of accessories like sissy bar, saddlebag supports, saddlebags, windshield, luggage rack, engine bars, highway pegs if you want to repeat your Spyder accessory spree, albeit at a much cheaper price.

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks, that is good information to have!

retread
03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
The Buell Blast is half a Sporty engine in a Buell designed frame, nice bike; the cylinder and piston should be available as Sportster parts.
Check out a Suzuki S40, small, light, belt drive, fairly cheap. They've been making them for years and years, used to call it the Savage.

john

Amanda B
03-15-2010, 08:38 PM
HD will service Buell for awhile, but eventually parts and service will disappear. Rebel hasn't changed in 20 years and parts and service are easy. Oil change a breeze even for a novice. Only used plugs, bulbs and chains. Never had a single engine repair on the two that we owned. Even though there are passenger pegs, forget about it. MC Enterprises has an assortment of accessories like sissy bar, saddlebag supports, saddlebags, windshield, luggage rack, engine bars, highway pegs if you want to repeat your Spyder accessory spree, albeit at a much cheaper price.

No more sprees....lol!!

BRPjunkie
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
The Buell Blast is half a Sporty engine in a Buell designed frame, nice bike; the cylinder and piston should be available as Sportster parts.
Check out a Suzuki S40, small, light, belt drive, fairly cheap. They've been making them for years and years, used to call it the Savage.

john

The S40 is about 50 lbs heavier and $1,500 more than the Rebel. Seat height is 1" higher. It is a big single with low end torque, but suffers from some backfiring when decelrating. Few accesories and is not as popular as a used bike. Very solid mechanically and belt drive is a plus. Both have 2.8 gallon tanks, but Rebel gets 20 mpg better fuel economy.

jimclarkf1
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
another bike you might look at, is the HONDA REBEL, 450. They only made them a couple of years, more power than the 250. everyonce in a while you see one on ebay, they are very much in demand, and collectable, you wont have trouble selling it if you want to after a while. and lots of parts too . GOOD LUCK, what ever you pick,
THANKS, :2thumbs:

IndyBill
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Amanda,

They have areally nice used 250 Rebel at the Triumph, Victory shop in Indy. He has a price of $2000 on it but said he would take $1600. I do not remember what year but it is red with about 7k miles I think. Thought about buying it for my granddaughter but her mom wanted to shoot me. Dealer phone number is 317-803-2432. Ask for Gene.

bill

Amanda B
03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I realize a 250 is weak and it won't keep up with lots of other bikes. I also realize for MOST that would not do for long and they would be moving to a larger bike. I am not a speed demon, so how fast it goes is not an issue for me as long as it will go 65mph or so I'm good. I have lower back issues, so moving up will NEVER be an option for me.

Besides the three I've listed and now maybe looking at the Rebel 450 nothing else will be feasible given my size and my back issues no matter what I might want in the future or wish that I could do. I have to have a shorter seat and a light weight bike, those are the criteria I am going by, that and hopefully something reliable. Besides, for speed I'll still have the Spyder...the second ride is to just kick around from time to time for fun not for long hauls or anything.

My friend listened to everyone regarding what bike he should get...he was getting the smallest Honda Shadow, but everyone kept telling him he would move up quickly so save money and buy bigger right away. It was his first bike, he listened to them and got a Kawasaki Vulcan 900....it has been sitting in his garage over a year....soon after he bought that bike, he bought a smaller one. He then sold the smaller bike and bought another smaller one, and the Vulcan still sits.... I don't want that to be me, I know what I can and can't handle given the cards I've been dealt. And I realize some will think I'm just wasting my money on a junk bike, but if all I can handle is a small bike then that is all that I can handle. I've sat on the Honda Shadow, lifted it, and it hurt my back.

So, as far as the Honda 250, Honda 450, Buell Blast, and the Ninja 250....which is most reliable. I've gotten some information and that is very helpful. Anything people can tell me about those is very helpful, or any other bikes that are light and have a short seat height...anything else posted means you aren't hearing what I'm saying!

Huh....whoever posted about the larger bikes removed it...LOL!

8LEGS
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM
The Honda Rebel was my first bike. I never had any problems with it and found it to be very reliable. The short seat height is confidence inspiring for those of us who are vertically challenged. It has MANY aftermarket accessories you can get & it is a HONDA. Many dealers and shops can work on it for you. I say go for the Rebel 250, if after a while you decide it isn't for you, the resale is very good. Good Luck on your purchase!! I'll see if I can dig up a photo of my old Rebel.

Amanda B
03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I have started looking at the Qlink also. I don't know too much about it other than it is light and the seat isn't that tall. Did you like the Rebel better than the Qlink? What worries me about the Qlink is that it is Chinese, but that is a bias I have.

dltang
03-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I have started looking at the Qlink also. I don't know too much about it other than it is light and the seat isn't that tall. Did you like the Rebel better than the Qlink? What worries me about the Qlink is that it is Chinese, but that is a bias I have.

I had a Qlink 150cc scooter prior to having the spyder. It did what I needed it to do and it got me back and forth to work. I could never get over 55 mph and that was pushing it. I think for the sake of safety, resale value, ability to get repairs and overall dependability you should look at the Rebel. I know around here you can get used 250 Honda Rebels for under $2000.00. I know because I have been thinking about getting a two wheeler myself in addition to my spyder. Only if I get my new job though. For two reasons, with the new job, I'll be able to afford it and will want a better mileage vehicle as it is 60 miles each way back and forth to work. I will probably end up going with something bigger than the rebel when the time comes but for every reason and problem you listed, I think that may be your best bet overall. By the way, I never had any major issues with my Qlink but if I had, I don't think it would have been real easy to get a good quality repair.