PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake adjustment help...

bone crusher
03-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I went under my hindle, took out my handy 12mm wrench, and moved the threads to the left on the cable...and guess what, the darn thing still sticks. Moved them all the way over to the right...same deal...argh!

Being I'm not due to go to the dealership for another month or two, I really cannot use my parking brake until then for fear that it will not release. I know I can leave the bike in 1st and lock the wheel, but I like to have the functionality of the parking brake...

With that being said, I know there is a secondary adjustment that can be done, but I have no idea how to do it.

I've seen the video about the parking brake, but the person doesn't show how the more major correction is done...sure, loosen this nut, remove the spring, and do what??

Anyway, I don't want to proceed if this has any risk of messing with the anti-lock brakes...I don't think it does, but they're all in the same area, so who knows...don't want any whoopsies...

The parking brake looks completely mechanical, and if so, should be easy to adjust either through the cable (which was simple but didn't work), or through the entire mechanism...problem is that I don't know what to do with the mechanism to really get the darn brake to work.

Anyone out there with pics/video of how to fix this thing by using I think it was the 16mm wrench to loosen the nut and go from there?

Thanks...

pop49
03-15-2010, 04:39 AM
I take it that you are having trouble disengaging the Park brake.
99% of the time it is not the cable adjustment but some dirt or crap which is stopping the hairspring tripping back the cam on the rachet.
When this happens just put your finger under the cam on the park brake side while you have a bit of pressure on the park brake.
When you get home get some WD40, Rostoff or the like and give it a spray, you will find it works a treat.
IF you have more than say 4 clicks on the park brake you need to increase the lenght of the outer cable ( coz the cable inner has streched).
this means more thread on the forward part of the adjuster.
The bit you are not sure about is removing the lever on the rear brake and moving the lever ONE spline at a time.:2thumbs:

groundeffect
03-15-2010, 06:04 AM
I found this a while back, and it may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mrlki5_l-8

Cheers.

boborgera
03-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Cheers.

:agree:
Iv'e been adjusting my snowmobile / atv brakes that way for years.
A little bit of snowmobile knowledge helps with the Spyder, Some things are similar in design.

Donk45
03-15-2010, 07:47 AM
I fixed mine by adjusting the piece with the spindle. I took it off and rotated it until it was perfect. I can't explain it, but if you're in the Rockville area I could show you what I did/help if need be.

bone crusher
03-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I fixed mine by adjusting the piece with the spindle. I took it off and rotated it until it was perfect. I can't explain it, but if you're in the Rockville area I could show you what I did/help if need be.

You're on...let's get together some time...my folks live in Potomac so it's a common area for me. I got the gloryders too...I know the laws in MD are a bit sketchy on this, but I think night visibility is worth the risk...would like to see the new color of your bike too...will certainly be unique!

bone crusher
03-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Cheers.

GE,

I saw that but it's not detailed enough for the more involved fix and I don't want to take a chance if I can ruin something...

The initial fix with the 12mm wrench didn't do it for me.

I know Scotty mentioned some time ago cleaning the underside, but I don't see any appreciable dirt/grime there...perhaps I'm looking at the wrong spot??

PCBeachBum
03-17-2010, 03:56 AM
I went under my hindle, took out my handy 12mm wrench, and moved the threads to the left on the cable...and guess what, the darn thing still sticks. Moved them all the way over to the right...same deal...argh!

Being I'm not due to go to the dealership for another month or two, I really cannot use my parking brake until then for fear that it will not release. I know I can leave the bike in 1st and lock the wheel, but I like to have the functionality of the parking brake...

With that being said, I know there is a secondary adjustment that can be done, but I have no idea how to do it.

I've seen the video about the parking brake, but the person doesn't show how the more major correction is done...sure, loosen this nut, remove the spring, and do what??

Anyway, I don't want to proceed if this has any risk of messing with the anti-lock brakes...I don't think it does, but they're all in the same area, so who knows...don't want any whoopsies...

The parking brake looks completely mechanical, and if so, should be easy to adjust either through the cable (which was simple but didn't work), or through the entire mechanism...problem is that I don't know what to do with the mechanism to really get the darn brake to work.

Anyone out there with pics/video of how to fix this thing by using I think it was the 16mm wrench to loosen the nut and go from there?

Thanks...

This past Sunday I had the same problem, my parking brake wasn't releasing and it felt like I dragging something or had a flat. I thought it was the linkage and it needed an adjustment. I called my dealership on Monday and they told me to bring it in on Tuesday.

To get it to release, I played with the parking brake peddle pushing all the way down and releasing it serveral times. It finally released and the scrolling and light went out.

Tuesday morning a few miles from the dealership, I started getting the scroll, Release Parking Brake and the light came on. I pulled over and in neutral was able to push and roll it, so continued on to the dealership. The scrolling stopped and the light went out.

After checking out the linkage they looked at the cable and it wasn't releasing the calipers at the wheel. The tech showed me how to pull back on the link at the rear wheel and said the cable was the problem. Before I left, they ordered a new parking brake cable.

So check the cable before messing with the linkage. If your behind the Spyder, grab the the link to the calipers and pull back towards you. Mine has about 1 1/2" of wire showing and if yours doesn't, pull back on it.

You could have the same problem I have with the cable, going to the parking brake pedal.

groundeffect
03-17-2010, 07:17 AM
After checking out the linkage they looked at the cable and it wasn't releasing the calipers at the wheel. The tech showed me how to pull back on the link at the rear wheel and said the cable was the problem. Before I left, they ordered a new parking brake cable.
So check the cable before messing with the linkage. If your behind the Spyder, grab the the link to the calipers and pull back towards you. Mine has about 1 1/2" of wire showing and if yours doesn't, pull back on it.
You could have the same problem I have with the cable, going to the parking brake pedal.

This is good info, thanks for sharing!!

A question though, if you don't mind:
1) Just Curiuos - what is wrong with the cable? Was it sticking, thus not releasing (not slidding back through the cable covering (needed some lubrication perhaps), or was it that the cable was broken or snapped?

Thanks!
Cheers.

PCBeachBum
03-17-2010, 03:53 PM
This is good info, thanks for sharing!!

A question though, if you don't mind:
1) Just Curiuos - what is wrong with the cable? Was it sticking, thus not releasing (not slidding back through the cable covering (needed some lubrication perhaps), or was it that the cable was broken or snapped?

Thanks!
Cheers.

Your Welcome!

From what they can see the cable is sticking and won't release the parking brake fully. If the parking brake is stuck on even that first notch, it will give you the scroll and light. It may even cause you to feel a drag as mine did and only about an inch of wire was showing at the connection at the rear wheel.

They couldn't tell if it was just sticking or perhaps had a kink in it. The Spyder tech said out of all the Spyder's he has worked on, the linkage on mine has been the best he's seen and felt.

Lou the service manager took a look at the linkage where the cable connects to it and could see it wasn't fully releasing cause the parking brake to not fully disengage. He than noticed the cap at the end of the cable was off and moisture could have gotten inside the cable. It's a long cable and you could take it off and try putting a lubricant in but, instead of playing with it, they decided to order a new one and do it right the first time. They told me it was under warranty and will be no cost to me.

Once they get it off, they will inspect it further and send off the report to BRP. Lou told me BRP wants to know every little detail about the Spyder, when one comes in with a problem, big or small. Small problems can cause larger problems and both my dealer and BRP wants to know them all.

My next service is at 7,700 miles and if I notice a problem, I call right away. My dealership here in Panama City, FL wants everyone to be safe on the bikes they sell and with the Spyder being a new concept, they want to know everything, so they can serve all there Spyder customers.

Having a sound machine is there top priority and since buying this 2008 SM5 last March, I've had serveral problems including a steering lockup. Everything I have had a problem with has been addressed in a professional and timely manner. The original DPS was replaced in 9 days and who knows if this was the fix. Only time will tell and they told me, if I feel anything that is not to my liking, do Not hestitate to bring it in.

I can only speak for my dealerships service dept. since they are a BRP dealership and sell BRP boats and Sea-Doo's, along with Honda, Yamaha and Susuki's but, they told me on day one. The more we know about the Spyders our customers own, the better we can serve them and pass the info on, to BRP.

I really do hope this helps other's if this problem comes up with the parking brake, to check the cable first before trying to adjust the linkage.:thumbup:

Arguss
12-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Hello how are my Spyder lovers doing today? :ani29: I'm looking to get a alarm for the Spyder and was woundering if anyone new of a good one that was out? Also thinking about puting on ground all around lights for better protection. Has anyone done this yet, if so how did it turn out?
Tony :spyder: