PDA

View Full Version : Mods to The BatCycle

ThreeWheels
03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I finished the intercom and amplirider install this weekend on my RT S.
All told, it took about 12 hours spaced over Saturday and Sunday.
Before I sold my Honda ST 1100, I stripped these items off the the bike for re-use on the Spyder.

Here is a link to the Intercom System:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC-MIT-100U

Here is a link to the AmpliRider:
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

I use these devices, but the setup is similar to Baehr, Starcom or Autocom.

I wired everything up to a Blue Sea fuse block and relay, exactly like ataDude's post.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5753:

I use the AmpliRider to gather inputs from the GPS,and Ipod and feed them to the AUX input of the MIT-100. The AmpliRider has it's own master volume control.

The MIT-100 handles the CB, Cell Phone, Passenger/ Rider and the aforementioned AUX input and manages them to the headsets.

The MIT-100 is mounted inside the body work on a small shelf on the left side just under the center console piece. The Amplirider is mounted on the same shelf on the right side. This choice made the most sense for running the cables.

I used the bulkhead headset connection that I salvaged from the Honda, and purchased a second one so that the headset connections look like BRP OEM.

I ran cables to the rear trunk for the CB, Cell Phone and AUX connections, so I can mount those devices and they remain out of the way. I have my cell phone on auto-answer. Call me strange, or whacky, but I don't make outgoing calls when I ride.

I have two wires running external to the handlebars to the left handgrip. One is the master volume control to the AmpliRider, the second is the PTT button for the MIT-100. If I knew how, I'd break into the existing PTT button on the left handlebar switchgear, but I don't even know how to open up the handlebar cover. It has that funky radio ignition anti-theft thing and it scares me to think of messing with it.

I'm still waiting for the KewlMetal mount to set up my Zumo 550. In the meantime, I have the power and audio cables connected and set to the center portion of the bars.

I don't have the radio system feeding into the headsets. It's not the best situation, but I'll learn to live with that unless someone can show me how to convert the radio to a 3.5 mm jack.

One interesting and happy circumstance. I have the IPOD connected to the ECC through the IPOD integration cable. I also have the 3.5 mm jack from the IPOD connected to the intercom system. If I mute the Spyder radio system, the speakers are quiet, and all the sound comes through the headset, but the ECC still controls the song and playlist selection on the IPOD.

I am going to mount an elastic strip up high in the rear trunk so I can use the belt clips for the IPOD, Cell and CB. The IPOD Integration cable also charges the IPOD. I can use the 12V receptacle in the trunk to charge the Cell and CB.

So, here's what I have:

Headsets: GPS, Passenger/Rider intercom, portable CB, Cell Phone and IPOD all feed through the new system to headsets.

Speakers: All three radios (AM,FM,NOAA) and IPOD. I can choose mute or not to allow the IPOD to play through the speakers as well as the headsets.

I use an IPOD for tunes because I got tired of always changing radio stations on long distance trips. That's my solution. Some peole use XM radio. YMMV.

ThreeWheels
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Breaking News.
I took my wife for a ride a few days ago. The MIT-100 was OK, but not worthy of the BatCycle.
So I upgraded to a Starcom 1 system with PTT for bike to bike communication. Waiting for my Midland 75-822 radio to test out the Bike to Bike portion. All the connectivity is exactly the same as my previous post.