PDA

View Full Version : need help reopening and removing trunk lock

pondlady
03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I received my new RTS PE Saturday and took my first ride today, Sunday. When I locked my cell phone in the trunk on the back, the cylinder would not release my key. When I pulled it the lock came out slightly and the key broke off. I was able to remove the part of the key inside and tried to use the other key, but it will not go into the lock. Any suggestions on how to open the trunk and remove the lock. Nearest dealer is several hours away. Any help is appreciated.

docdoru
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
welcome

MarkLawson
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Had something similar to this happen on me. The difference was that the lock cylinder came all the way out & I was able to remove the key. Check out this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16597

Have your dealer drill out the lock. Mine was able to do it without damaging anything other than the lock cylinder. If you received an extra lock cylinder for the trailer, they can install that one in it's place. They'll then have to order a complete set (rear trunk lock, extra lock for the trailer & ignition lock) to swap out everything. They'll give you a new pair of keys.

This is BRP's solution.

Good luck,

LDFIREWORKS
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
:2thumbs:welcome:congrats:

Lamonster
03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
welcome

I would have the dealer deal with it. It's not your fault or problem. nojoke

NancysToy
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
welcome

I would have the dealer deal with it. It's not your fault or problem. nojoke
:agree: I'd also highly recommend spraying inside the lock with Lock-Ez when you get the new ones. It helps immensely.

fastfraser
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
welcome:congrats::spyder2: On.

MarkLawson
03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
The issue is when the lock-set is locked into place, it should be permanent & unable to be removed without drilling it out. There is a spring loaded pin that is compressed before sliding the lock-set into place, which then pops down when it hits a void in the panel that holds it, which holds it in place. BRP had some that were not locking into place. I believe someone told me that this was a problem with the first 400 units built & that they upgraded the lock after that. Can't confirm that myself.