PDA

View Full Version : Not built for maintenance

ThreeWheels
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Holy CROW. I just finished installing the MIT-100 intercom system and the Amplirider.
To get to anything, I needed rip almost all the plastic off.
This is a great machine, but it's NOT built with an eye towards maintenance.
Even replacing bulbs is a major effort.

woodz428
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Holy CROW.

What is?? You have to tear most of the body work off of sport bikes to do a tune up, that's far more routine maintenance than an aftermarket anything. You name me 1 vehicle that is designed to have easy maintenance and I'll show you a 40 year old whatever. That includes the hogley-ferguson. So it seems you may have gotten a long overdue education about modern production. When you make something that requires less and less service, the only way for dealers to make any $$( there is very little profit in sales alone) is for the item being sold to need a technician to perform even rudimentary service. Current reality, for at least 25 years or more.

ThreeWheels
03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
What is?? You have to tear most of the body work off of sport bikes to do a tune up, that's far more routine maintenance than an aftermarket anything. You name me 1 vehicle that is designed to have easy maintenance and I'll show you a 40 year old whatever. That includes the hogley-ferguson. So it seems you may have gotten a long overdue education about modern production. When you make something that requires less and less service, the only way for dealers to make any $$( there is very little profit in sales alone) is for the item being sold to need a technician to perform even rudimentary service. Current reality, for at least 25 years or more.

Nevermind. No sense in starting a flame war. too many of them on this site to begin with

Bersquack
03-14-2010, 04:31 PM
That was uncalled for!

raptor01
03-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I had an 06 Goldwing before the RT. Never had any trouble changing the oil. Took about 15min. Now if you wanted to change the air filter, that is a couple of hours, but most items were very easy to access. They can make things easy if they want to. :yikes:

timpani
03-14-2010, 05:40 PM
That was uncalled for!

:lecturef_smilie: I agree. Totally uncalled for.

NancysToy
03-14-2010, 05:50 PM
:agree: Not only does the RT have more panels than the RS, but they are more interlocked, requiring multiple panel removal. It is an artifact of modern, full dress bikes, to some extent. My BMW RT is worse than Nancy's GS/RS Spyder, but my RTS is worse than both...about on par with a BMW LT. Part of the price we pay for the integrated luggage, better weather protection, audio, and such.

MarkLawson
03-14-2010, 08:22 PM
It's also those same panels that catches the eye and sparks interest in the minds and hearts of potential buyers. They sure can make doing the simplest tasks not-so-simple!

Lamonster
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Guess I would have to disagree. I have Corbin bags on mine and if I want to get to the battery it's a lot more work on the RS compared to my RT. After having all the panels off of the RT and RS as many times as I have I find the RT is about the same if not easier. The only concern I have is popping off the mirrors. I know it's just a matter of time before I break one of those little plastic clips. nojoke

Babymoose
03-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Holy CROW. I just finished installing the MIT-100 intercom system and the Amplirider.
To get to anything, I needed rip almost all the plastic off.

How about the hitch? I did an oil change & installed the hitch with the control module wiring harness. Took me forever - of course I couldn't remember what screws went where when I went to re-assemble. I agree with Lamont though I have the Givi set up that Industries 7 sells on my GS/RS and that mounting assembly is a PIA too when you need to get to the back end for wiring or the battery and tire change. Oh yeah the instructions from Can-Am on the hitch install are very minimal and some of the pics aren't detailed enough to understand what you are looking at. They need some education from Lamnt & others on explaining "How To's"!
:yikes: :gaah:

NancysToy
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Guess I would have to disagree. I have Corbin bags on mine and if I want to get to the battery it's a lot more work on the RS compared to my RT. After having all the panels off of the RT and RS as many times as I have I find the RT is about the same if not easier. The only concern I have is popping off the mirrors. I know it's just a matter of time before I break one of those little plastic clips. nojoke
I'll bet Fred didn't feel the same way while he was watching you do it. :roflblack: