PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gear Ultra Light Rain Suit

xpeschon
03-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I know many of us use the Frogg Toggs rain suit however I just want to pass this bit of info onto you.. I was in SAMS yesterday and purchased the rain gear called Natural Gear for 24.99 for a complete set of rain gear.. I must say that the material appears to be the same as the traditional Frogg Toggs.. Heck I thought for 25.00 bucks I couldn't go wrong.. I have since done some research on this brand and my finding as in the links provided.. I must say I think this suit is just as good as the Frogg Toggs that many of us have bought at a much higher price so---Having said that if you happen to have a SAMS card and a SAMS store near you I think it is a great buy for us.. Time will tell once I get the opportunity to ride with them on.. See links below..

Joe

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=816481

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=490156&pCatg=7011

PS: You may have to copy the link then paste it into your browser.. Fianlly--Any feedback on this rain suit--Possible some member has already experienced them???

Mo Lee
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey thanks Joe I will have to check them out, I like the idea of snaps on the legs instead of zippers. By the way it is raining today!

xpeschon
03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Just a little is all.. I plan on planting grass seed today, hopefully it will stick.. Time will tell.. Maybe I should try out the new rain gear but I think I will pass, I want a heavy rain to test them..
Joe
PS: Headed to Wal-Mart in a minute..

WackyDan
03-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Does it have a hood? One would assume so. I use my FT hood... keeps the water from running off my helmet and down into my collar.

Lamonster
03-14-2010, 03:57 PM
My wife needed to run to Sam's so I went with her and picked up one of these. The pant's are going to need some major trimming but the jacket fit well over my leather jacket. I would say these are the same as Frog Toggs but priced what FT's should have been priced at.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=8368

Smylinacha
03-14-2010, 04:30 PM
That's a good deal!!! I have the frogg Toggs - got them a while ago. Never wore them on the bike but I've worn them camping and they work great. Only reason I haven't worn them on my bike is cuz I have other packable raingear. But the Sam's Club sure looks like the Frogg Toggs and that's definitely worth it!:2thumbs:

xpeschon
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
LaMonster them are the ones.. I went with the Green one instead of the Blue one simple cause my Two wheeler is Green and Ivory.. I wish they would have had the black and gray ones at my SAMS but they didn't.. Thats cool though as long as I can stay dry I'm not in a fashion contest yah know??

Joe

PS: Yes WackyDan it has a hood that is snapped along the collar

Bersquack
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Will need to check this out. I think I paid almost 3 times that for the FT.

dltang
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Ok, I am glad you all found a great product. But I am going to ever so slightly defend the Frogg Toggs here. There are so many different "models" or "makes" of Frogg Toggs that you have to be sure you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Just a blanket statement of these are the same for less money isn't exactly true. Also, I have no idea where Natural Gear is made but I checked it out and Frogg Toggs are made in the USA. Last but not least, and this is a personal issue, Sam's club is owned and operated by Wal-Mart and since I will not shop at Wal-Mart, I also do not shop at Sam's Club. I do think you can get Natural Gear on line as well though, so it could still be something to look into. Once again, make sure you are comparing Apples to Apples when you make a blanket statement though. Example, here is a Frogg Toggs Action Rainsuit for $29.95 on line at Sierra Trading Post. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=86473&plp=Frogg_Toggs_Action_Rainsuit_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Frogg_Toggs_Action_Rainsuit_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true

So they are not all expensive. I am not sure why I feel so strongly about this and felt a need to post this but I guess I did. Ignore me if I am just babbling on...LOL

xpeschon
03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
No thats cool dltang,,,, So how have you been? I'm not sure I told you this but I truly enjoyed riding you and your hubby across the state of MO, it was fun right? As for the Frogg Toggs the link you provided is a really good buy as well.. I would actually like to pursue the products side by side, what I mean is this: you mentioned Apples to Apples and I AGREE 100 percent--so therefore I will scan (or just write it down) the label on the one I bought from SAMS and post it,, I'm thinking the label should tell of what the material is made of,, you actually got my curiosity up on this one now.. So stay tuned...

X (Joe)

Firefly
03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Ok, I am glad you all found a great product. But I am going to ever so slightly defend the Frogg Toggs here. There are so many different "models" or "makes" of Frogg Toggs that you have to be sure you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Just a blanket statement of these are the same for less money isn't exactly true. Also, I have no idea where Natural Gear is made but I checked it out and Frogg Toggs are made in the USA. Last but not least, and this is a personal issue, Sam's club is owned and operated by Wal-Mart and since I will not shop at Wal-Mart, I also do not shop at Sam's Club. I do think you can get Natural Gear on line as well though, so it could still be something to look into. Once again, make sure you are comparing Apples to Apples when you make a blanket statement though. Example, here is a Frogg Toggs Action Rainsuit for $29.95 on line at Sierra Trading Post. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=86473&plp=Frogg_Toggs_Action_Rainsuit_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Frogg_Toggs_Action_Rainsuit_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true

So they are not all expensive. I am not sure why I feel so strongly about this and felt a need to post this but I guess I did. Ignore me if I am just babbling on...LOL

:agree:

Lamonster
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Without getting into the whole Walmart thing, Frog Toggs are made out of polypropylene material in Arab, AL.

Natural Gear is made out of "recyclable material" (whatever that means) in China and is distributed by Mahco Inc. in Bentonville AR.

That link you posted is a great deal but it is 50% off of what I've been paying. I guess I've had at least 6 sets of Frog Toggs through the years and to be honest I'm just too hard on them. I've yet to have a set last me one trip without me tearing them or burning a hole in them by leaning up against a hot pipe or something.

I have a Frog Togg jacket in my trunk now that leaks yet I can't figure out where from. I'm going to give this product a try and see if it holds up any better than my Frog Toggs, if not oh well, it's worth a try to me.

jodeg1945
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Lamonster -

We've been using Frogg Toggs for years when we ride our Goldwing. The first set seemed to leak a little. I called them, they said send them back (there were quite used) and they sent us new sets for free! Our second sets work perfectly and are so much lighter than our Harley rain gear, which cost twice as much! And we have ridden in monsoon weather more times than we can count! Ugh!

I also have the Sam's Frogg Togg style rain gear for my Spyder -- they sure look a lot like the Frogg Toggs. Couldn't resist them at that price! I haven't had to use them -- yet -- I only ride my Spyder on day trips, so we can pretty much avoid the nasty stuff. The jacket of either brand also makes a great windbreaker, if it cools off unexpectedly.

NancysToy
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm personally not a fan of the Frogg Toggs or similar raingear. Like Lamont said, not durable enough for the way I use them. I also do not like the way they flap in the wind. I prefer a snug-fitting, dedicated motorcycle rainsuit, with fold-over rain flaps, waterproof patch pockets, etc. My favorite is an old Teknic that I have had for quite a while, but they don't make it now. Tourmaster has some good ones, as do others. The hood is a great idea, though. I wish my Teknic suit had one.

Wheeler~
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I owned the $30 Frogg Toggs and used them on the IBA 1500 24 hr. ride. It rained, no joke, 65% of the ride. Those $29.99 Toggs for a ride like that were useless. My wife made me strip at the door when I got home because the Toggs and everything I was wearing was SOAKED! My current Toggs purchased cost over $100. The 2 were like night and day. I have been in a torrential downpour in the $109.99 Toggs and had I bought the booties also, I would have been perfectly dry. The only moisture on me, was sweat, because it was hot that day. Who knows, maybe these are a better quality than the $30 Toggs but I'd want to know before spending any money on the ones at Sam's. Just mhho!

SpyderWolf
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I have the Frogg Toggs "Hogg Togg" suit that is meant for riding. During our trip to Maggie Valley last September it was torrential downpours most of the time. What I found out very quickly was with the hood off I got completely soaked with the suit on. I contacted Frogg Toggs via email and they told me to send the suit in and they would send me a new one. On the trip home, I wore the hood and was as dry as can be. Therefore I did not send it to them for a replacement.

My wife has a suit from Nelson-Rigg, that looks like it will do a great job for her, but she has not put it to the test yet.

xpeschon
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Per earlier post I posted.. I just looked at the label on the Natural Gear and there is actually no listing of the material,, The only bit of info I could get out of the tag was it said this: 100 percent POLYPROPYLENE.. There has been some pretty good little stories on this threat,, I guess it will just boil down to slapp'in them on one RAINY day and going for a ride,, Thats the bottom line so, Once I get the chance I will do just that.. Thanks for all the good info on this threat and lets see what happens from here..

Joe (X)