PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problems

TexasTripod
03-13-2010, 08:04 PM
I would like to hear from those people that have experienced the steering lock-up problem and have had the problem fixed. How many tries did it take to fix it and how many miles they have ridden since the fix. Also what did the dealer say was the cause of the problem? Thanks

Smylinacha
03-13-2010, 08:08 PM
I would like to hear from those people that have experienced the steering lock-up problem and have had the problem fixed. How many tries did it take to fix it and how many miles they have ridden since the fix. Also what did the dealer say was the cause of the problem? Thanks

Hi. Lockup. It got stuck twice when I was taking a right hand curve. Not a sharp turn, a curve - original dps.

Took it to shop, they put a new one in. didn't work. Then they put another one in.

Didn't say what the cause was. Only rode it once since then - winter set in. Didn't get stuck but I still don't trust it until I get an answer as to why it happened in the first place.

Capt John
03-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I had steering issue twice. 1st time loose relay. 2nd time relay was bad. Put over about 4k since. I always carry spare relays.

ataDude
03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Six times from Oct 2008 to Oct 2009.

1. Oct 2008 - Gear Position Sensor malfunctions... affecting steering... three different occurrences. See this thread:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

2. Sept 2009 - Fourth time... software update applied... seemed OK afterwards; until:

3. Oct 2009 - Fifth time... 2nd software update applied... seemed OK afterwards; until:

4. Oct 2009 (one week later) - Sixth occurrence... In the Ozark Mountains while on a trip. This was the "straw that broke the camel's back". Problem was continuous from that point forward.

Upon return to the Dallas area, I immediately traded it in on another two wheeler with the dealer knowing exactly why I was getting rid of it.

I am hoping in the future that the DPS problems are resolved and I can acquire another one. However, after the in-the-mountain episodes, it will be a while. Until it happens to you in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's just hard to explain.

The new owner... on this board... had a new DPS installed by the Can Am dealer. I do not know at this time if the replacement has permanently resolved his problems with the steering.

Firefly
03-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Mine happened around 5,000 miles on the bike. Took it in and they did the GPS sensor and software update and it has been fine ever since--- now at 15,000 miles....:thumbup:

Neez
03-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Lots of problems until they replaced the DPS unit. 4000 km since then, no problems.

dltang
03-13-2010, 10:27 PM
My problem was one of the earlier ones. I had the feeling of being pulled over into oncoming traffic and as I was manhandling the steering to correct it, it would just get easy all of a sudden and then I felt like I was jumping to the right. It was very scary, it happened on the expressway at 70+mph. This happened a few times and a few times at slow speed when I got off the expressway. At the time ATADude was the only other one on this forum that I remember posting anything with the steering issue. I took my spyder to my dealer the very next day. He replaced the GPS (Gear Position Sensor) and also corrected the angle of my handlebars. They were off by just a few degrees. That fix alone has worked with great success for me for almost a year now. I have had all the updates and so far have never had another steering problem. I thought I was having a problem one time shortly after I just got my spyder back this past month. But it just so happened that I thought to check my air pressure in my front tires. It was very low and they were uneven. Something like 11 and 14. So I put them both up to 20 like I usually keep them and viola! no more issue. I also think with all the talk and not having ridden my spyder in 4 months I was very supersensitive to any potential steering issues. Although I am not going to stop riding my spyder, I would be incredibly stupid not to be aware of the situation and keep my mind on anything that my feel not quite right.

docdoru
03-14-2010, 06:42 AM
First DPS failure at 62K miles 1.4.10; continue to ryde until 1.29.10 when the replacement part arrived and installed.
See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16387

Recluze
03-14-2010, 09:42 AM
I have had the problem early and often; two DPS units, gear position sensor, software upgrades and a few other things. Sometimes I would go 10-15,000 miles between failures. It reoccurred a couple of weeks ago and I was told to change the battery. I have not changed the battery and it has not occurred since.

The root cause has not been discovered. So any 'fix' may or may not be permanent for your particular set of hardware and software. I have been on the engineering side of these problems often enough to know that it is not easy. Yet, when they finally do discover what is wrong it is going to be one of those palm of the hands smacking the center of the forehead moments. My hope is that they don't kill this product with the consumer or their accounting department before they get to that moment.

Until then, I ride.

Biker
03-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, I guess it's my turn to vent. I'm a very happy Spyder rider for the past year. Recently after putting 6,000 miles on my ride, I have experienced the steering problem in question. It was sort of a scary experience, I have to say. Although I'm not near ready to throw in the towel and trade her in because of this problem. I have a very good dealer and they are looking into the problem as we speak. He told me that there are three different reasons for doing what it does. The condition that caused me concern was that the power steering seemed to fail or the steering locked up in a tight position which became hard to steer. It was like, it was in a notch and I had to give it a shove to release it to steer. I don't know if anyone else experienced that same problem or how else to explain it. You'll know, when it happens to you. After reading all the complaints about steering here on Spyderlovers.com, I just hoped it wouldn't have happened to me but it did. I did have the recall done last year and had no ill effects from it. Everything worked just fine, until now. So, I'm very interested in the fix they come up with. I'll keep you posted on my findings. By the way, I love my Spyder and have found a new way of riding and enjoying the feeling I get when driving the high tech machine. It still makes me smile.:2thumbs:

Tom in NM
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
. . . . but here is the short version.

Thanksgiving 2009, 1st steer issues.

Next week, into service department. 2nd software update along with evap hose extension ( I already had had the 1st update, early Summer ). Ran fine and no steering problems.

Just before Christmas, steering issue came back. Next day, into shop again - they worked with BRP/Carlo and a new DPS arrived Christmas Eve.

Following week, 12/29/2009, Spyder back on the road and has been A+ since then.

Tom

TexasTripod
03-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I appreciate everyone's reply since mine is in the shop now for the steering issue. And Biker your experience sounds just like mine as far as the symptoms go. I too enjoy my Spyder very much and don't want to throw in the towel but it all depends on how successful this attempt to correct the problem is.

Biker
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I appreciate everyone's reply since mine is in the shop now for the steering issue. And Biker your experience sounds just like mine as far as the symptoms go. I too enjoy my Spyder very much and don't want to throw in the towel but it all depends on how successful this attempt to correct the problem is.

I got a call from the dealer today. He told me that I needed a new steering unit. He called BRP and they told him that the power steering unit is on back order. Not thrilled with that phrase but, what can I do? But I trust my dealer and they have been very good to me. So............as the stomach turns.

ArmyJoe
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I continue to have steering problems. I'm now reluctant to call it a "lockup" since I don't know what others are experiencing and I don't want to be mistakenly lumped into the same category.

My issue was originally detailed at http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15260 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15260), but I got tired of coming to the forum to update bad news and stopped posting.

My power steering seems to not work most of the time and it takes a bit of force to make turns. This has gotten progressively worse, even after three visits to the dealer for a DPS replacement and alignment of the steering angle sensor and the steering torque sensor. It sucks going into a turn not knowing how much force to use on the handlebars. When I now make a turn (using the amount of force I've become accustomed to) and the DPS does kick in, it creates a dangerous condition where an unprepared passenger can be tossed off the bike. As a result, my wife will no longer ride with me.

One positive thing to note was that Carlo noticed my status in my signature and called me unsolicited. After going over my problem, he suggested I take it to another dealer for a fresh look.

Longlegs
03-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I had the steering lock up last fall. I have not been able to ride since I got my spyder back, winter got in the way. My confidence is not very good though. The good news is I never experienced lock on my skidoo all winter.

wyliec
03-17-2010, 08:26 PM
One positive thing to note was that Carlo noticed my status in my signature and called me unsolicited. After going over my problem, he suggested I take it to another dealer for a fresh look.

Don't take this wrong; but, if Carlo is telling you to take it elsewhere, that may mean he doesn't have too much faith in that dealer. If that is the case, BRP needs to step in and maybe check the skills of the tech or techs working on the spyder.

speedster200
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
A lot of multi line dealers treat Spyders like step children. :( They spend their time with higher volume products. Sad but true.