PDA

View Full Version : Spyder...Buyers Market

Hamie
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Stopped by my dealer today...they are getting heavy discounted '09 Spyder's putting the trade-in values in the toilet.. New '09 SM5..MSRP $16199 selling for $10299..KBB trade-in for '09 SM5 is $9640 real world trade-in value for '09 SM5 with 3500 miles..$8000... love my spyder because not going to be able to trade it anytime soon...

WackyDan
03-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I think someone did a bit a research here a few months back and found that all bikes were suffering on book value and that the Spyders were fairly close to the others in % of depreciation.

Now... If gas gets higher and higher we may actually see that drive value up...

Way2Fast
03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Now... If gas gets higher and higher we may actually see that drive value up...

The value might go up for bikes that get 50 mpg, but the Spyder gets worse fuel milage than a lot of cars so that won't be a selling point.

Esteban782
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Hamie could you tell me dealer in Austin area has them for that. I have been looking in NE Tx where I live now on Lake O Pines. Area doesnt have many dealers and best I have found is over 14000. We may go home to San Antonio in next few days and I may check the Austin dealer for spyder. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Sarge707
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Here are corresponding #s for a 09 SE5 :popcorn:

KBB Retail Trade
14,480 10,700
NADA Average Retail Low Retail
14,955 11,365
Considering I paid 15,300 +Taxes and Reg in Oct 09 makes it easier on the stomach!!

A trade in always allows 2-3 thousand for the dealer then they get you AGAIN :yikes:on the purchase because you can,t do without that New Toy?

I WILL keep mine till I have as many miles and smiles as Dudley does!!:D

mxz600
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Stopped by my dealer today...they are getting heavy discounted '09 Spyder's putting the trade-in values in the toilet.. New '09 SM5..MSRP $16199 selling for $10299..KBB trade-in for '09 SM5 is $9640 real world trade-in value for '09 SM5 with 3500 miles..$8000... love my spyder because not going to be able to trade it anytime soon...

Somebody somewhere can always find some dealer selling something cheaper than the norm. You would not be able to buy a new Spyder from my dealer at that price.

Firefly
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I have no remorse over what they are selling for now.... I bought it to RIDE and felt it was e a good deal at the time.

I easily have $23K into mine--- and it's been worth every dime for the fun I've had in just 2 years.

As with anything.... YMMV

Hamie
03-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Hamie could you tell me dealer in Austin area has them for that. I have been looking in NE Tx where I live now on Lake O Pines. Area doesnt have many dealers and best I have found is over 14000. We may go home to San Antonio in next few days and I may check the Austin dealer for spyder. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Here is their web site... http://www.woodsfuncenter.com/ ... it was a silver one on the showroom floor...

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I have no remorse over what they are selling for now.... I bought it to RIDE and felt it was e a good deal at the time.

I easily have $23K into mine--- and it's been worth every dime for the fun I've had in just 2 years.

:agree:

I stopped keeping track of how much money I have put into, and onto, mine a while back though. ;)

YPILOT
03-12-2010, 04:32 PM

:agree:

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I also forgot to add that I bought my wife's 1 month after I bought mine. It had 430 miles on it, and I paid $4,000 less for it than I did for my new one. ;)

BRPjunkie
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
My 1988 Sea Doo ($4,000 new) has bottomed out and actually started to increase in value as it now has collectible value. 23 years of fun made it a good investment. I have no false hopes of getting 20+ years out of the Spyder, but I mentally depreciate any toy I buy on the first ride and then try to justify the annually operating costs (gas, oil, maintenance, insurance) relative to the fun factor. Depreciation is always worst during the first couple of years and then it slows down a bit. It will be interesting to see what five year old Spyders are worth. In the meantime, gas, oil, maintenance and insurance will set me back about $1,000 - $1,200 per year. Accessories is another matter,

fastfraser
03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Better hide that sea-doo !! Lamont will turn it into a trailer .:roflblack::roflblack:

boborgera
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm not selling, I'm not buying, I'm riding. And i am enjoying being able to ride all year.
Markets go up Markets go down that's life.

jgwoods
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm not selling, I'm not buying, I'm riding. And i am enjoying being able to ride all year.
Markets go up Markets go down that's life.

What he said.:clap:

BRPjunkie
03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Better hide that sea-doo !! Lamont will turn it into a trailer .:roflblack::roflblack:

Ain't no one making a trailer out of this Sea Doo. 23 years and all original, including engine, pistons, rings, etc. The Rotax 580cc two stroke twin is a dandy. 55 hp by today's standards is puny, but back then is was best in class.
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o440/mjshore/seadoo001.jpg?t=1268443608

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 08:51 PM
That looks great for being 23 years old. You definitely take very good care of your toys. :2thumbs:

BRPjunkie
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
That looks great for being 23 years old. You definitely take very good care of your toys. :2thumbs:

Thanks, and it is not stored like a vintage vehicle. It has been used every summer since 1988. I don't want to start another oil argument, but I have never used anything but BRP two stroke oil and it runs like new. Here is what the engine looks like. :D

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o440/mjshore/seadoo003.jpg?t=1268445844

bone crusher
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Totally agree...who cares about resale? Do people really buy anything and worry about the next owner? I've added a ton of mods and will be adding the rigid bags soon...I plan on keeping the bike as long as I can. I could go out and buy a new RT-S tomorrow but I have no desire...I love my bike and have no need for another. I have a Lexus SUV as a day car...I didn't buy it thinking what I'd get for it in a few years...I bought it because I loved (love) it...what happens later doesn't matter...enjoy what you have now and whatever tomorrow brings, deal with it. If all people really cared about was resale, no new vehicles would ever be purchased.

SpyderByter
03-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Totally agree...who cares about resale? Do people really buy anything and worry about the next owner? I've added a ton of mods and will be adding the rigid bags soon...I plan on keeping the bike as long as I can. I could go out and buy a new RT-S tomorrow but I have no desire...I love my bike and have no need for another. I have a Lexus SUV as a day car...I didn't buy it thinking what I'd get for it in a few years...I bought it because I loved (love) it...what happens later doesn't matter...enjoy what you have now and whatever tomorrow brings, deal with it. If all people really cared about was resale, no new vehicles would ever be purchased.

Well said. I have noticed how much less I would have paid if I waited until now to buy, but I would have missed out on all the great times I had and great people I met over the last year.

M2Wild
03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I waited just long enough to pickup a nice used '08 in '08. Saved thousands and put some towards accessories. I can still get every penny back if I sell today. Just need to be at the right place at the right time with right amount of money.