PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded DPS returns

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 07:38 PM
SO i went out for my first ride today,
I was happy, cruising enjoying my day, enjoying my new ISCI handbrakes, enjoying my new Kewlmet air ride suspension, enjoying my new exhaust and to top it off enjoying my givi trunk full of nothing.

Than VSS fault/ DPS and the ever so lovely LIMP MODE kicked in... Great isn't it, just a great way to start off the bike riding season.

The steering from the get go felt like it was on a caffeine overdose. It wanted to steer itself itself to the right about 3 times after limp mode started.

so back to the shop this goes again for the third time.. After a 10 mile opening season ride. This made my day, Im so proud of this bike.

Tom in NM
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
. . . make sure your fuses are all properly seated. I had the same thing happen over a loose fuse.

Sorry the Champagne 2010 Inauguration ride turned into a bummer.

Tom

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I checked them b4 I left. the first time i've ever done it.

It was a let down.. I had high hopes

Tom in NM
03-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I checked them b4 I left. the first time i've ever done it.

It was a let down.. I had high hopes

I guess that means since you didn't get home with a smile, we can look forward to another 9 weeks of Winter. Bummer.

Tom

Smylinacha
03-11-2010, 08:05 PM
:mad::cus:

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I guess that means since you didn't get home with a smile, we can look forward to another 9 weeks of Winter. Bummer.

Tom
No 6 weeks...:D

Firefly
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Bummer-- hope you can get it fixed soon.

NancysToy
03-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Was your battery well charged? Having a weak battery, then starting the Spyder to make it weaker, can trigger low voltage problems, especially when the DPS draws down the battery. Some symptoms of a low battery are cascading faults, limp mode, and erratic power steering response.

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 09:27 PM
im assuming it is, I fired it up, drove out about 4 miles to the highway with no troubles, and once on the highway 2 miles into my ride i got all the codes and limp mode.

I checked everything out before I left, pushed in the fuses, checked tire pressure etc.

NancysToy
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
im assuming it is, I fired it up, drove out about 4 miles to the highway with no troubles, and once on the highway 2 miles into my ride i got all the codes and limp mode.

I checked everything out before I left, pushed in the fuses, checked tire pressure etc.
Never pays to assume anything. A marginally charged battery could start a Spyder, which runs down the battery further. Reach a point where you back off on the throttle and drop the rpm, and the voltage can drop enough to trigger the faults. Not saying this is the cause, but after your Spyder was sitting, in cold weather, it would pay to eliminate the possibility, by charging the battery or testing the voltage with a multimeter...or both. The more things you eliminate, the easier to find the cause.

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Never pays to assume anything. A marginally charged battery could start a Spyder, which runs down the battery further. Reach a point where you back off on the throttle and drop the rpm, and the voltage can drop enough to trigger the faults. Not saying this is the cause, but after your Spyder was sitting, in cold weather, it would pay to eliminate the possibility, by charging the battery or testing the voltage with a multimeter...or both. The more things you eliminate, the easier to find the cause.
I charged it a week ago. I'll dig further into it in the morning.

thanks Scotty

YPILOT
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
SO i went out for my first ride today,
I was happy, cruising enjoying my day, enjoying my new ISCI handbrakes, enjoying my new Kewlmet air ride suspension, enjoying my new exhaust and to top it off enjoying my givi trunk full of nothing.

Than VSS fault/ DPS and the ever so lovely LIMP MODE kicked in... Great isn't it, just a great way to start off the bike riding season.

The steering from the get go felt like it was on a caffeine overdose. It wanted to steer itself itself to the right about 3 times after limp mode started.

so back to the shop this goes again for the third time.. After a 10 mile opening season ride. This made my day, Im so proud of this bike.
Glad you made it back home safe. :thumbup:
Hope your :spyder:feels better with a new charge.
Dennis

Way2Fast
03-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Looking at the positive side :2thumbs: at least your Spyder steered itself to the right (possibly off the road into a ditch?) instead of to the left and into oncoming traffic like mine and several others did !! :yikes:
If you can see this as a sarcastic remark you would be 100% correct !!

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Hopefully getting a full charge on the battery will correct the issue you are having with the cascading codes. If it doesn't, then please keep us up to date as to what the dealer does to it for you.

Buelldog
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I charged it a week ago. I'll dig further into it in the morning.

thanks Scotty

Smack a Battery Tender on your unit and leave it hooked to your unit 24/7......That will end the wonder if it was charged.......it will always be at full charge when you roll out, unless you have a faulty battery that won't take a charge!!

RoadHammer
03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Is there a way i can clear the codes myself or does it need to be cleared through buds ?

NancysToy
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Is there a way i can clear the codes myself or does it need to be cleared through buds ?
Previously occurred codes can only be read by BUDS, and are cleared there. They do not affect operation of the Spyder, they only serve as diagnostics. I understand they can be cleared by disconnecting the battery, but I cannot confirm that. I would recommend against that approach, anyway. If it turns out you have a problem other than a low battery, the codes and the order they occurred in will be very helpful to your technician. If you have faults still showing on the display, or a check engine light, those codes are still active, and will not clear. The exact code can be retrieved by BUDS, or by following the retrieval procedure in your manual.

jgwoods
03-12-2010, 07:43 PM
i have been happy with http://www.digitalmeter.com/ this little voltmeter. On the only occasion that trouble codes appeared I saw voltage drop into the 9s just before it happened.
If things get funky on my Spyder I will at least have voltage info to go with my troubles.

Good luck, I hope you can get yours fixed quickly.

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
When mine went haywire at the track in Daytona, the key had to be out of the ignition for at least 1 minute, I believe, before my check engine light and the Check DPS scroll finally went away. It may have been 2 minutes, but when I shut it down on the track for 30 seconds that definitely wasn't enough to clear them.

RoadHammer
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I'll slam the charger on it 2morrow night, just to clear up that issue.

Thanks.:spyder::spyder:

RoadHammer
03-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Looking at the positive side :2thumbs: at least your Spyder steered itself to the right (possibly off the road into a ditch?) instead of to the left and into oncoming traffic like mine and several others did !! :yikes:
If you can see this as a sarcastic remark you would be 100% correct !!

Lol:D Its exactly what i thought of when it did it. At least its going to the right into a ditch (yikes )....Better than into a semi anyday

speedster200
03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
If you had the DPS unit recently replaced the technician who replaced it may have not synched the torque angle sensor twice. The torque angle sensor has to be synced on the DPS screen in BUDS and again With the VSS. If it wasn't done when the Spyder goes into yaw(side load as in a corner) it will throw the VSS code and go into limp home mode. The torque angle sensor is not talking to the VSS in a code it understands if it is not synched. Note your mileage when you drop your Spyder off at the dealership. A test ride will reveal these problems. Make sure it was taken on a test ride.

RoadHammer
03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I'll mention that to the tech.

thanks

SpyderWolf
03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
If you had the DPS unit recently replaced the technician who replaced it may have not synched the torque angle sensor twice. The torque angle sensor has to be synced on the DPS screen in BUDS and again With the VSS. If it wasn't done when the Spyder goes into yaw(side load as in a corner) it will throw the VSS code and go into limp home mode. The torque angle sensor is not talking to the VSS in a code it understands if it is not synched. Note your mileage when you drop your Spyder off at the dealership. A test ride will reveal these problems. Make sure it was taken on a test ride.

Thaks for that information as that is very good for all of us to know. :thumbup:

RoadHammer
03-15-2010, 01:06 AM
I disconnected the battery, charged it and when put back together my codes were still there.

went for a short spin and limped around a bit and parked it.

SpyderWolf
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I disconnected the battery, charged it and when put back together my codes were still there.

went for a short spin and limped around a bit and parked it.

That definitely sucks. Let us know what the dealer says, what needs to be done to correct it, and how long it takes.

Best of luck.

RoadHammer
03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
The bombardier mechanic showed up hooked up buds came up with a faulty steering angle sensor, and i need a new dps unit again. They Loaded it up on the trailer and brought it back to the dealer.

so the wait begins again.

SpyderWolf
03-17-2010, 07:02 PM
The bombardier mechanic showed up hooked up buds came up with a faulty steering angle sensor, and i need a new dps unit again. They Loaded it up on the trailer and brought it back to the dealer.

so the wait begins again.

Hopefully it won't take them too long to get the parts in for you, and the combination of the SAS and DPS together will do the trick.

Best of luck!

RoadHammer
03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
At the dealer now, mechanic says the DPS magnet needs to be replaced, and new sensor. How does the DPS magnet get pooched ?

Latemarch
03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
At the dealer now, mechanic says the DPS magnet needs to be replaced, and new sensor. How does the DPS magnet get pooched ?

All you have to do is lay it down on a piece of metal and it's toast!
Very sensitive.

SpyderWolf
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
All you have to do is lay it down on a piece of metal and it's toast!
Very sensitive.

That is one of the issues I posted about concerning the experience of the technicians at the dealership. If they were to set it down on a metal toolbox, there is a chance they are toasting it before it ever gets installed. I would hope they know better than to do that, but it is a little something else to think about.

RoadHammer
03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
update

Ok i got my spyder back:2thumbs:, Went to pick it up.. fired it up and blasted off.
I purposely went through town and in several parking lots to do lots of left and right turns, I did them faster than normal to push the bike harder in the turns and make it lean etc and also to make lots of noise and let people know it's spring time and spyder time.

Anyways after some drive through coffee/ a smoke and warm up time i blasted off down the highway. No troubles and performence was great. Only downside was an idiot that was half in my lane around a corner half way home. I had to jerk to the right in a left hand curve doin 65 to avoid some ****head half way in my lane. Not the way i wanted my second ride this year to go, but actually now im glad it happened because I really felt how fast the steering responded to my input.

anyways after 60 miles home im a happy camper:D spyder worked the way it should.

amen:pray:

SpyderWolf
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
update

Ok i got my spyder back:2thumbs:, Went to pick it up.. fired it up and blasted off.
I purposely went through town and in several parking lots to do lots of left and right turns, I did them faster than normal to push the bike harder in the turns and make it lean etc and also to make lots of noise and let people know it's spring time and spyder time.

Anyways after some drive through coffee/ a smoke and warm up time i blasted off down the highway. No troubles and performence was great. Only downside was an idiot that was half in my lane around a corner half way home. I had to jerk to the right in a left hand curve doin 65 to avoid some ****head half way in my lane. Not the way i wanted my second ride this year to go, but actually now im glad it happened because I really felt how fast the steering responded to my input.

anyways after 60 miles home im a happy camper:D spyder worked the way it should.

:congrats: Glad to hear things went well and the Spyder is performing. Also glad you did not meet the idiot by accident, and made it home safely.

jeuchler
03-29-2010, 10:37 PM
update...

Good luck, man.

Keep your fingers crossed while ryding...

Firefly
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
update

:thumbup: Glad you got it fixed and aren't afraid to put it through it's paces to make sure it's fixed. That's the approach I would take--- beat the h*** outta of it from the moment you leave the dealer to insure the DPS is working.:thumbup:

RoadHammer
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
it was a steering angle sensor and encoder magnet that were the culprits.

RoadHammer
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
just come in from putting another 80 miles on it today. love it all over again:ani29:

working fine:D

jeuchler
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
just come in from putting another 80 miles on it today. love it all over again:ani29:

working fine:D

Good.

What happens to you may happen to me, so it's a selfish concern I have, you understand!

Just don't do any wheelies and you may be OK...

Smylinacha
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah he did it in the Starbucks parking lot. I bet his undies got messy from that.

docdoru
03-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah he did it in the Starbucks parking lot.
No more triple espresso’s for him...:roflblack:

RoadHammer
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
went out again tonight...... fanatastic. no matter how hard i slammed the brakes on i couldn't lift the backwheel 4 a wheelie !!:D

amen:thumbup:

Tom in NM
03-31-2010, 07:06 PM
it was a steering angle sensor and encoder magnet that were the culprits.

. . . . . glad you are falling in love all over again and enjoying your rides.

Tom

SpyderWolf
03-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Very glad to hear it is continuing to perform well for you. :2thumbs:

Aint love grand?!

Roaddog2
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah he did it in the Starbucks parking lot. I bet his undies got messy from that.Nope caught a nice one into second gear the other day on some private property were Darrell has a big commercial job going in Fairfield :yikes: maybe a wheelie bar instead of hitch :joke: The Man can't do Nada on private property :ani29:

RoadHammer
04-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Another 100 miles today. all good.
Met 2 new spyder owners at a coffee hole. As luck would have it, it was someone I knew from my days in the bar.

amen:2thumbs::pray:

jeuchler
04-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Roaddog's new trike does do wheelies.....:2thumbs: Ask him how his burnout went....:yikes:.......hahahahaha, wish I got a pic of the look on his face......:D

Ooooohhhh.

So THAT'S A VIDEO of RoadDog in your new signature!

http://www.spaceg.com/multimedia/collection/motorcycles/wheelie.gif

jeuchler
04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah he did it in the Starbucks parking lot. I bet his undies got messy from that.

Oh...again? Too bad.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=141&pictureid=5016

draboo
04-01-2010, 06:53 PM
As (bad) luck would have it, it was someone I knew from my days in the bar.

THAT thought scares the crap out of ME. :yikes:

jeuchler
04-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Met 2 new spyder owners at a coffee hole. As luck would have it, it was someone I knew from my days in the bar.

Terrific.

ANd that makes it hopeful for me. I guess I should go put those DayRunners on after all...

Smylinacha
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
No more triple espresso’s for him...:roflblack:

He had alot of caffeine that day.

Smylinacha
04-01-2010, 07:11 PM

Glad you are riding! Ahhh the days in the bar - actually I don't miss them too much. Fun to laugh at but I don't do the bar scene anymore, just like a few beers at home now. I told you I gave up wine, right? No more headaches :2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
04-01-2010, 07:55 PM

:2thumbs: Glad to hear it.

RoadHammer
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Draboo.. now why would you change my words.. come on now.. tsk tsk..:D

THAT thought scares the crap out of ME. :yikes:

RoadHammer
04-01-2010, 08:07 PM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear it.

Amen:2thumbs::pray:

SPYDERGUY1
04-01-2010, 10:25 PM
sorry roadhammer, got ahead of myself. Glad to hear you are back on track. hope it keeps up. will definetly try and hook up for a ride.... good luck and keep us posted.:pray:

SPYDERGUY1
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM
do you have a more generalized description of ONTARIO, was born there and a big freaking province ????:2thumbs:

RoadHammer
04-02-2010, 07:50 PM
do you have a more generalized description of ONTARIO, was born there and a big freaking province ????:2thumbs:
i'll PM you

RoadHammer
04-02-2010, 07:52 PM
more miles today, great hot day,.
Seen more spyders too. New owners, ones i have never seen before. I think i started something with my spyder:D

jeuchler
04-03-2010, 06:43 PM
more miles today...

Rode to and from work, two towns away.

No problems with steering.

I continue to try to stay alert to any subtle change (I mean, more subtle than a scrolling code or a limp mode) but so far it's been OK.

Of course, I did notice it was much faster with the DayRunners on (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17838&highlight=dayrunners)...

RoadHammer
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Rode to and from work, two towns away.

No problems with steering.

I continue to try to stay alert to any subtle change (I mean, more subtle than a scrolling code or a limp mode) but so far it's been OK.

Of course, I did notice it was much faster with the DayRunners on (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17838&highlight=dayrunners)...
does the steering feel more powerful than before? Mine does.