PDA

View Full Version : Different Mirrors for RS/GS ???

Firefly
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket mirrors in the works to replace the stock units on the RS/GS ?

I thought I heard once that Magic Man might be working on such an item?

I've got the kewlmetal extenders --- but my mirrors still move too easily.

I guess my other option is switching to the ESI 'up and out' mirror extensions. Do those 'lock' into place better than the kewlmetal ones?

Twodog185
03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I tried moving mirrors to handlebars. Any generic mirror will mount with an "L" bracket.

I thought they were too close, and still vibrated. I went back and used hard plastic spacers and silicone to tighten OEM mirrors with extensions.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/HPIM0124.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/HPIM0130.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/HPIM0131.jpg

Neez
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
I was going to get extenders, but I installed some Emgo bar end mirrors instead. They solved the problem completely and are much cheaper and easier to install. Also, by keeping the stock bar end plugs, if you ever sell the Spyder, you can replace the plugs and re-use the Emgos on any other bike with 7/8 inch bars.

dltang
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
My Kewlmetal mirror extensions move too easily as well. At highway speeds, they will not stay in place and the wind pushes them forward and I can not see out of them. The screws are tightened as much as possible, so that is not the issue. I need the extension because with my 4" riser my hand is right in the mirror if they are just stock. What I have done for the time being is used plastic like a shim to prevent the mirrors from coming too far forward. It isn't a perfect solution but it definitely helps.

Mad Matt
03-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Guys,

I have not had this issue with my kewlmetal extensions. You should be able to tighten the bolt enough to snug them down. It's an 8mm bolt so it should easily take 17 ft-lbs of torque and up to 22 ft-lbs without issues.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps there is some powder coating down in the bore for the plastic bushing. Powder coat is surprisingly slippery in an application like this because it is essentially a plastic coating. So sanding out the powder coat and roughing up that surface a little bit will help quite a bit.

Mad Matt

bone crusher
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Guys,

I have not had this issue with my kewlmetal extensions. You should be able to tighten the bolt enough to snug them down. It's an 8mm bolt so it should easily take 17 ft-lbs of torque and up to 22 ft-lbs without issues.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps there is some powder coating down in the bore for the plastic bushing. Powder coat is surprisingly slippery in an application like this because it is essentially a plastic coating. So sanding out the powder coat and roughing up that surface a little bit will help quite a bit.

Mad Matt

The Kewl Metal mirror extensions were one of my first mods. Although they don't move around (like Deb's), they do vibrate a lot...is there any way to settle this down at high speeds? For example, with speaker installation in cars, they use that material that completely dampens vibration...can any of that be installed between the parts to help reduce vibration (while still looking good)? I see that someone above used silicone, but I think a vibration dampening option would likely be better...

Any ideas? I love the mirrors but this is the one complaint that is common amongst owners of the Kewl Metal mirror extensions.

Firefly
03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm going to order the ESI ones and give them a shot... gotta be better than the kewlmetal slosh I have right now.....

Mad Matt
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
The Kewl Metal mirror extensions were one of my first mods. Although they don't move around (like Deb's), they do vibrate a lot...is there any way to settle this down at high speeds? For example, with speaker installation in cars, they use that material that completely dampens vibration...can any of that be installed between the parts to help reduce vibration (while still looking good)? I see that someone above used silicone, but I think a vibration dampening option would likely be better...

Any ideas? I love the mirrors but this is the one complaint that is common amongst owners of the Kewl Metal mirror extensions.

Thats a tough one. Any extension will increase the vibration out at the mirror. Perhaps adding weight like a handlebar.

Matt

Mad Matt
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm going to order the ESI ones and give them a shot... gotta be better than the kewlmetal slosh I have right now.....

Firefly,

You can give me a call, I am sure we can get yours tightened up. We have hundreds and hundreds of these out there that are working just fine.

I will admit, Magic Man did a nice job on his new design. Product design is an evolution and each new generation of products should be an improvement from the previous generation.

We have Improved the finish on ours and reduced the price while we sell out of the gen 1 mirror extensions. Then we will Improve the look and make them lock down easier on the gen 2 design.

623-298-7835.

Mad Matt

spyryder
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Thats a tough one. Any extension will increase the vibration out at the mirror. Perhaps adding weight like a handlebar.

Matt
Or a strut?:dontknow:

bone crusher
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Firefly,

You can give me a call, I am sure we can get yours tightened up. We have hundreds and hundreds of these out there that are working just fine.

I will admit, Magic Man did a nice job on his new design. Product design is an evolution and each new generation of products should be an improvement from the previous generation.

We have Improved the finish on ours and reduced the price while we sell out of the gen 1 mirror extensions. Then we will Improve the look and make them lock down easier on the gen 2 design.

623-298-7835.

Mad Matt

Will you have an inexpensive upgrade option so that those of us with generation 1 don't have to pay again? I love ESI's products and I can see many people switching, but if you have a solution, that'd be better for me. As far as having hundreds on the road, I imagine they vibrate for most everyone at high speeds...it's inherent in the design...I have mine tightened as can be and that doesn't affect the vibration. Although mine don't move readily when riding, if I pull on them, they will move. I don't know what generation 2 will involve, but I hope there will be an upgradable option for those of us who paid full price for gen. 1 and wish to keep your extensions. I like your products (can't wait to get my pegs installed) and hope you can figure something out to help.

Thank you for your consideration with this...

jnt
03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=Firefly;
I've got the kewlmetal extenders --- but my mirrors still move too easily.

I guess my other option is switching to the ESI 'up and out' mirror extensions. Do those 'lock' into place better than the kewlmetal ones?[/QUOTE]

The ESI up and outs DO lock inplace PLUS they are UP AND OUT. Shoulders no longer in picture. Other than the glass area being a tad small, they work very well.

Thanks, ESI!!

NancysToy
03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
When properly tightened, with or without extensions, the mirrors should not move when pushed. I have seen Spyders on the floor where the mirrors were loose...poor dealer preparation. If they do move, even slightly, then they need to be tightened further. ESI included some shim washers with their extensions to make this easier with certain mirror/extension combinations. Not every Spyder seems to fit exactly the same. I'm sure some sort of shim would also help if your KewlMetal extensions were loose. Even with the shims and the fasteners torqued, I still had some slight movement between the mirror and extension. My solution was to remove the extension cover, and put a couple of blobs of RTV silicone in the gaps on each side. Let it dry overnight, and problem solved. A combination of shims and silicone, plus use of a torque wrench as Matt has indicated above, should be able to resolve all movement and vibration problems, unless the whole Spyder is vibrating.

Magic Man
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Give us a call.

We're gonna start a trade in program on these to help people who want to try out the lock in tight Street Magic Up and Out design.

MM

Firefly
03-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Firefly,

623-298-7835.

Mad Matt

Hey Matt-- thanks--- didn't mean to sound too negative about your product--- it really has worked well for all the miles I've put on it.

Both you guys make great stuff--- and we are fortunate to have you working on such new and inventive items for the Spyder.

Just wanted to try a different approach to get my mirrors locked in place.

I ordered the ESI units online today.....

Tom in NM
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't have much vibration with my stock mirrors, but I was wondering if sealing some BBs in the gap would cut it down?

Not really an issue for me, so I've never tested doing that.

Tom

Mad Matt
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Give us a call.

We're gonna start a trade in program on these to help people who want to try out the lock in tight Street Magic Up and Out design.

MM

Kewl. What a great Idea, I am so glad YOU thought of it Evan. Kewlmetal will now start a trade in program on the NMN risers. Details will be announced soon.

Magic Man
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

LittleJohn
03-11-2010, 07:58 PM
This should be fun!!!! Trade in ESI stuff for Kewlmetal and Kewl Metal for ESI!!!!!:D

You guys can just sell back the stuff to the other guy!!!! LOL

dltang
03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Guys,

Mad Matt

Matt,
I appreciate all your advice, but I am going to give the In & Out's a try. Trust me, I have these things torqued tight and they aren't getting any tighter but the mirrors are floppy. Just riding down the road, they move and in the wind they move forward and I can't see. I am using plastic shims right now just to prevent them from moving too close to me. I am trading these in for the others. I still know you make great products and probably just got a bad set. I do not plan on leaving any poor remarks on your product. You make quality stuff and I am sure there are some things on your site we would be interested in in the future.

I do have to say though, I have had great experiences with Evan and all of his products so far. I look forward to trying out his mirrors.

Mad Matt
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
If you put an 8mm star washer like the one shown below, under the head of the bolt, it will lock the bushing down. Let me know if you need me to send you a pair of washers, I would be happy to.

http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/003/IMG_5020a.jpg

Matt

wyliec
03-12-2010, 08:08 AM
If you put an 8mm star washer like the one shown below, under the head of the bolt, it will lock the bushing down. Let me know if you need me to send you a pair of washers, I would be happy to.

http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/003/IMG_5020a.jpg

Matt

I thought one of the problems people were having was that they didn't align the locking nubs in the base bracket with the locking slots on the extension. If they weren't aligned you could tighten all you want and the extension would still be loose.

NancysToy
03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
I thought one of the problems people were having was that they didn't align the locking nubs in the base bracket with the locking slots on the extension. If they weren't aligned you could tighten all you want and the extension would still be loose.
I remember that now. In addition, some of the nubs were misaligned when the Spyder was originally set up, so there are no nubs left, or they are damaged.

Mad Matt
03-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Honestly folks, We have sold at least 600 of these for 2+ years and I can honestly say not 1 customer has ever called or emailed to say they could not keep their mirrors in place. If they had, I would have fixed the problem for them. That being said, since a few folks have posted here, I tried the star washer on my spyder and now I can literally pull the spyder across the garage by the mirrors and they don't move! If you ever have any issues with Kewlmetal products, even small ones, I am here to help!

623-298-7835.

Matt

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I have not tried any mirror extensions on my Spyder; however, after reading these posts I would have not problem trying either the ESI or Kewl Metal ones. It is good to know that both Evan and Matt stand behind their products and have such good customer support. :thumbup:

bone crusher
03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I have not tried any mirror extensions on my Spyder; however, after reading these posts I would have not problem trying either the ESI or Kewl Metal ones. It is good to know that both Evan and Matt stand behind their products and have such good customer support. :thumbup:

Your nose is really brown right now! :joke::joke:

bone crusher
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Honestly folks, We have sold at least 600 of these for 2+ years and I can honestly say not 1 customer has ever called or emailed to say they could not keep their mirrors in place. If they had, I would have fixed the problem for them. That being said, since a few folks have posted here, I tried the star washer on my spyder and now I can literally pull the spyder across the garage by the mirrors and they don't move! If you ever have any issues with Kewlmetal products, even small ones, I am here to help!

623-298-7835.

Matt

Matt, as I posted above, what about the vibration issue? My mirrors stay in place but they do vibrate...does the washer issue you are referring to fix this problem? If not, what can we do?

At low speeds, there isn't a problem...however, at higher speeds, they do vibrate a good amount. A few threads in the past have gone over this but you never chimed in on those discussions.

Thanks for your help...

SpyderByter
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Your nose is really brown right now! :joke::joke:

Well I will join that brown nose club. It takes some gumption to be an entrepeneur and be willing to put the time and cost in to develop these products. I am glad they are willing to do it. My Spyder is a better and safer machine because of the products our sponsors come up with.

The first thing I noticed about the Spyder was that I could not see traffic behind me no matter how I adjusted the mirriors. Now, not only can I see the traffic because of mirrior extensions, but they can see me because my rear end is lit up like a Christmas tree.

So I have a brown nose and a glowing rear end! :yes:

SpyderByter
03-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Matt, as I posted above, what about the vibration issue? My mirrors stay in place but they do vibrate...does the washer issue you are referring to fix this problem? If not, what can we do?

At low speeds, there isn't a problem...however, at higher speeds, they do vibrate a good amount. A few threads in the past have gone over this but you never chimed in on those discussions.

Thanks for your help...

It would be nice if there was a fix, but any V twin I ever had was like that once you get the engine buzzing.

bone crusher
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM
It would be nice if there was a fix, but any V twin I ever had was like that once you get the engine buzzing.

So,

You don't think the vibration on the kewlmetals can be dampened? Argh...I love the extensions, and as I wrote, they work well, but I'd like to have more functionality out of them at higher speeds.

I think Dynamat or something like that is used to dampen speaker vibration...it works very, very well...too bad something cannot be placed between the parts to reduce the vibration.

As far as your very brown nose goes, please wipe it! :D:D I love the mods from both KM and ESI...I have all the ESI lights and more...have the mirrors from KM and the foot pegs, which are soon to be installed.

It's good to have competition with mods. There are plenty of us to keep them busy and profitable. No need for Evan and Matt to square off...they both make great products and should truthfully enjoy each other challenging each other to raise the bar with products.

With that being said, I would appreciate a fix for the vibrating KW mirrors. They didn't vibrate before their installation.

SpyderByter
03-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I added the mirrior extentions so quickly I cannot remeber if that vibration was there without them on the Spyder. If it did not, then the vibration is a result of the extra length, the extra wieght should help to reduce it, not cause it. (think bar end weights)

I do remember there is a rubber pad where they mount onto the headpiece. Maybe an extra layler of that Dynamat you were talking about might do it. How thick is that stuff? If you have some handy, please try it and let us know if it helps.

SpyderByter
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=bone crusher;187706]So,

I love the mods from both KM and ESI...I have all the ESI lights and more...have the mirrors from KM and the foot pegs, which are soon to be installed.

It's good to have competition with mods. There are plenty of us to keep them busy and profitable. No need for Evan and Matt to square off...they both make great products and should truthfully enjoy each other challenging each other to raise the bar with products. QUOTE]

Good point, mods are all a matter of taste, and the options just keep getting better.

bone crusher
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=bone crusher;187706]So,

I love the mods from both KM and ESI...I have all the ESI lights and more...have the mirrors from KM and the foot pegs, which are soon to be installed.

It's good to have competition with mods. There are plenty of us to keep them busy and profitable. No need for Evan and Matt to square off...they both make great products and should truthfully enjoy each other challenging each other to raise the bar with products. QUOTE]

Good point, mods are all a matter of taste, and the options just keep getting better.

Will say that NOTHING beats ESI's mudflap lights...they are the coolest and whenever I ride, I always get great feedback with them. They are a MUST HAVE for all Spyders.

In my riding group, when people ride behind me, they always comment about how bright the LED lights are, even in daylight. I set my brake lights to the '3 blink' mode...everyone says they are much more visible that way...great stuff!

Firefly
03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
You can't really compare dampening sound to the mirror situation. I've used the acoustic materials (on the Spyder) and doubt they would do a thing for mirror vibration.

bone crusher
03-13-2010, 05:01 AM
You can't really compare dampening sound to the mirror situation. I've used the acoustic materials (on the Spyder) and doubt they would do a thing for mirror vibration.

Well, the dynamat is for vibration, not really sound dampening...it's used in the doors and other areas where the speakers can cause vibration....the stuff is like an insulated tape...slightly thick, kinda like aluminum foil though...definitely prevents doors and other structures from vibrating when you turn up your speakers in your car...used often for after-market speaker installation.

For example, on my old BMW, I had MB Quart (german hand-made) speakers replace the crappy stock paper ones...they are a HUGE upgrade but the dynamat was needed as they were slightly bigger than the stock and they certainly put out a lot more sound. The dynamat made is so that the speakers would function...

I figured that if there was a way to put cleverly put a layer or two of dynamat at each joint then it might work.

I did leave a few notes for Matt here but no reply. I see you went with ESI's risers...I guess I'll have to do the same.

wyliec
03-13-2010, 07:14 AM
So,

You don't think the vibration on the kewlmetals can be dampened? Argh...I love the extensions, and as I wrote, they work well, but I'd like to have more functionality out of them at higher speeds.

I have the ESI mirror extensions. And, any vibration I have at higher speeds at the mirror are quite small and don't affect being able to see what's behind.

SpyderByter
03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I know this does not solve the vibration problem, but if you are having problems seeing through the mirriors at high speeds, these may help:

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/Mirrors.htm

wyliec
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I know this does not solve the vibration problem, but if you are having problems seeing through the mirriors at high speeds, these may help:

http://www.streetfightersinc.com/Mirrors.htm

Don't you think part of the vibration problem at the mirrors is not having the locking nubs lined up with the slots? And, if it's been that way for awhile, the nubs are probably worn like Scotty said. By the way, it was Lamonster who mentioned the nubs and slots a long time ago.

If the nubs are now gone, the lock washer may help as Matt suggested.

bone crusher
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM

That makes sense...I was just looking for options...we haven't heard back from Matt on this so I'll follow your lead...

bone crusher
03-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I have the ESI mirror extensions. And, any vibration I have at higher speeds at the mirror are quite small and don't affect being able to see what's behind.

that sounds good to me...

SpyderWolf
03-13-2010, 04:58 PM
My nose is not brown, it is actually red and peeling now from sun and windburn in Daytona. :D

However, I have no problem giving these guys credit for stepping out like they have done and creating some really cool products for our Spyders. I need to look at one of my wife's mirrors, as she was complaining about it starting to move some. It may very well be that her nubs are worn off now as well.

bone crusher
03-13-2010, 06:08 PM
My nose is not brown, it is actually red and peeling now from sun and windburn in Daytona. :D

However, I have no problem giving these guys credit for stepping out like they have done and creating some really cool products for our Spyders. I need to look at one of my wife's mirrors, as she was complaining about it starting to move some. It may very well be that her nubs are worn off now as well.

I wish I was at Daytona...we're getting 5 inches of rain up here this weekend...argh! As far as your brown nose comments, I agree with you...I really like the work of the sponsors here! I was just teasin' ya!

SpyderWolf
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I wish I was at Daytona...we're getting 5 inches of rain up here this weekend...argh! As far as your brown nose comments, I agree with you...I really like the work of the sponsors here! I was just teasin' ya!

I know you were teasing, and I am cool with it. :D

We had more rain sweep through here today, along with a little bit of hail. We were about an hour away from the house and found some shelter to put the Spyders and ourselves under before it got too bad. Someone said there was a report of a tornado, but I didn't hear anymore about that so am not sure. I hope the rain doesn't wash you guys out when it gets there.

bone crusher
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I know you were teasing, and I am cool with it. :D

We had more rain sweep through here today, along with a little bit of hail. We were about an hour away from the house and found some shelter to put the Spyders and ourselves under before it got too bad. Someone said there was a report of a tornado, but I didn't hear anymore about that so am not sure. I hope the rain doesn't wash you guys out when it gets there.

OH yeah...we have HEAVY rain...so bad you see the little maps in the corner of the TV with the flood warnings...it should all clear out on Monday and 60 degree and sunny weather is on its way...can't wait to ride more...I know if I lived in SC, I'd be working on my golf game a lot...and it always needs work!

Mad Matt
03-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks for your help...

Bone Crusher,

Sorry I missed your post, nice weather here so we have been out enjoying the weekend. The washer only adds more friction between the bushing and the spyder to help IF your mirrors are not staying put. I doubt it would calm down the vibration any. I have not tried to solve the mirror vibration problem, but let me chew on this for a little while and see what I can come up with. The problem exists in the stock mirrors as well, but the extensions make it worse by increasing the amplitude of the movement. If we can easily attach some weight out there, that would lower the resonant frequency of the mirrors and that should help considerably.

Mad Matt

Mad Matt
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Bone Crusher,

I took a look at my mirrors and I have an idea. It will take some development but let me see what I can do.

I love product design!

Mad Matt :D

Recluse
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I have the mirror extensions ($79) from KM installed and have had no problems with them. Night and day difference from the stock mirror location! I have the Spyder City 3" risers installed and with the mirror's set the way I want them all I see of the bike is the tips of my bar end weights. I set the plastic inserts in place exactly as they came off the stock mirror ear and mirror stock location and torqued the bolt and RTV'ed the inserts in. Played with the mirror adjustments to get it just right. Have had no problems with movement or looseness (no star washers installed) Vibration is no more then the stock mirror location and somehow it seems less to me now :dontknow: For those of you that are having problems with the KM extensions I'm positive that Matt and KM will give you a solution/fix for whatever problems you may have (even though this is the first I've ever heard of any problems with KM extensions) Can't speak for NMM's up & outs, I'm sure they are fine but I see (pun intended!) no reason to switch mine out. All in all KM mirror extensions are a great product, work awesome, and at $79 a great bargain.

GeneralKaishi
04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Will the up & out mirror extensions work with the large 25" BRP windshield?

SpyderWolf
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM

I believe they should without any problems at all. We just installed them on my wife's Spyder this morning, and she is very pleased with the result. She has a CHAD windshield, so it is not a little sporty thing at all either.

NancysToy
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM

I believe they should without any problems at all. We just installed them on my wife's Spyder this morning, and she is very pleased with the result. She has a CHAD windshield, so it is not a little sporty thing at all either.
Don't be too sure. The CHAD is large, but it fits away from the cowl and mirror stalks, so clearance is no problem. The BRP Ultra Tour fits close, and follows the mirror stalk angle, so it may not fit without trimming. Better check with someone with the exact same setup, before you jump off the bridge.