PDA

View Full Version : Carlo Called Today re: Odometer Reset Problem

WaltH
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
As I reported previously, I sent the following email message to Carlo on February 22, 2010:

"Dear Carlo:

As you know from reading the Spyderlovers.com forum, the odometer on my 2009 GS will reset to zero at 62,137 miles, which is equivalent to 100,000 kilometers. In my case the reset will occur in four to five months. This is highly unacceptable to me and many other Spyder owners. We view this as a design flaw that must be corrected immediately.
Since BRP sells more Spyders in the United States than it does in the entire rest of the world combined, the odometer should accommodate the conventions and laws of the United States. We are required to report the odometer reading in miles to the state government when title to the vehicle changes hands. Under penalties of perjury we must declare if the odometer reading is actual miles, not actual miles, or if the odometer reading is in excess of its mechanical limits (has reset to zero at some point). In the United States, odometers do not reset to zero before at least 100,000 miles. This fact is well known to the general public.

Vehicles with odometers that have reset to zero are generally assumed to have very high mileage. In some states, lenders will not give loans on vehicles with an odometer that has reset to zero. In most cases, dealers will not accept a trade-in vehicle with a reset odometer. Private parties are generally very reluctant to buy a used vehicle with a reset odometer. Needless to say, the trade-in value, or resale value, of such a vehicle is very low indeed. When the odometer resets the market value plummets. It would be tragic for this to occur with only 62,137 miles on the Spyder.

It does not bode well for the future sales of Spyders, if a used Spyder cannot be traded-in and cannot be sold on the open market. A reset odometer makes it very difficult for a current owner to trade up to a new Spyder.

Please hurry with a fix for this problem. My clock is running out at frightening speed.

Sincerely:"

Carlo called today to answer my email request. To the best of my recollection, his answer was as follows:

BRP is aware of the problem and has the right people reviewing possible solutions along with their cost. Any solution should solve the problem for all Spyder owners.

One way or another, there will be a solution to the odometer problem. It will not be "tabled". A "fix" will be forthcoming.

Timing is unknown, but they are aware of the urgency.

The problem of the engine hour meter "freezing" is a part of the review.

The significance of what Carlo said is in his promise that the problem will be solved and that a fix will be made.

I appreciate his concern, and his efforts, and I will await the outcome.

Magic Man
03-10-2010, 07:52 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

rnet
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Evan, is that BRP brand popcorn, just can't read the fine print.:roflblack:

Magic Man
03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Evan, is that BRP brand popcorn, just can't read the fine print.:roflblack:

No if it were the box would be making a left turn all by itself. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

groundeffect
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
As I reported previously, I sent the following email message to Carlo on February 22, 2010:

"Dear Carlo:

As you know from reading the Spyderlovers.com forum, the odometer on my 2009 GS will reset to zero at 62,137 miles, which is equivalent to 100,000 kilometers. In my case the reset will occur in four to five months. This is highly unacceptable to me and many other Spyder owners. We view this as a design flaw that must be corrected immediately.
Since BRP sells more Spyders in the United States than it does in the entire rest of the world combined, the odometer should accommodate the conventions and laws of the United States. We are required to report the odometer reading in miles to the state government when title to the vehicle changes hands. Under penalties of perjury we must declare if the odometer reading is actual miles, not actual miles, or if the odometer reading is in excess of its mechanical limits (has reset to zero at some point). In the United States, odometers do not reset to zero before at least 100,000 miles. This fact is well known to the general public.

Vehicles with odometers that have reset to zero are generally assumed to have very high mileage. In some states, lenders will not give loans on vehicles with an odometer that has reset to zero. In most cases, dealers will not accept a trade-in vehicle with a reset odometer. Private parties are generally very reluctant to buy a used vehicle with a reset odometer. Needless to say, the trade-in value, or resale value, of such a vehicle is very low indeed. When the odometer resets the market value plummets. It would be tragic for this to occur with only 62,137 miles on the Spyder.

It does not bode well for the future sales of Spyders, if a used Spyder cannot be traded-in and cannot be sold on the open market. A reset odometer makes it very difficult for a current owner to trade up to a new Spyder.

Please hurry with a fix for this problem. My clock is running out at frightening speed.

Carlo called today to answer my email request. To the best of my recollection, his answer was as follows:

BRP is aware of the problem and has the right people reviewing possible solutions along with their cost. Any solution should solve the problem for all Spyder owners.

One way or another, there will be a solution to the odometer problem. It will not be "tabled". A "fix" will be forthcoming.

The significance of what Carlo said is in his promise that the problem will be solved and that a fix will be made.

I like many others out there appreciate your comments and questions to Carlo on this and the relayed feedback from your questions by Carlo in this thread - THANKS.

Spyder1026 & Carlo - THANKS and cheers from Newfoundland, guys!:thumbup:
Dean

effgjamis
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Lets hold our breadth as they will resolve with an immediate soluton.....:ohyea:

Tom in NM
03-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Well, it looks like being a "poster child" gets results. I am glad that they heard you and are addressing the odometer flaw - it is the right thing for BRP to do. Hopefully, the solution will be available soon.

Tom

YPILOT
03-11-2010, 04:57 AM

"Dear Carlo:

I'm glad that BRP is looking at this fix, however it don't scare me like the DPS issue. :yikes: Hope they get that right as well.
Dennis

sabunim5
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
That is good news. I hope the solution comes soon and is permanent. :popcorn:

ArmyJoe
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I am glad that they heard you and are addressing the odometer flaw

It's not a flaw. It's working exactly as designed. ;)

Joe, Software Quality Analyst

Way2Fast
03-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Lets start a betting contest.....what will come first....a fix for the steering issue or a fix for the improperly programed odometer ? Those holding their breath waiting on the steering have long since turned blue. Anyone willing to do the same on the odometer issue?

Firefly
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Lets start a betting contest.....what will come first....a fix for the steering issue or a fix for the improperly programed odometer ? Those holding their breath waiting on the steering have long since turned blue. Anyone willing to do the same on the odometer issue?

Didn't you sell your Spyder? :hun:

Tom in NM
03-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Oh, that makes it a Feature!

You can be the one to tell Spyder1026 .

Tom

WaltH
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM

I understand your point. :2thumbs:

It is a flaw in the design. The current generation of BRP design engineers have not had much street bike experience. The odometer reset problem and the engine hour meter problem would not have happened at Honda, or any other, experienced street bike manufacturer. They thought this through a long time ago. There have been a couple of other minor examples in the Spyder of this lack of experience. I am impressed that there are not more examples. BRP went from zero to sixty with what I believe is their very first street bike (Roadster) ever.

spyryder
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I understand your point. :2thumbs:

It is a flaw in the design. The current generation of BRP design engineers have not had much street bike experience. The odometer reset problem and the engine hour meter problem would not have happened at Honda, or any other, experienced street bike manufacturer. They thought this through a long time ago. There have been a couple of other minor examples in the Spyder of this lack of experience. I am impressed that there are not more examples. BRP went from zero to sixty with what I believe is their very first street bike (Roadster) ever.

All they did was take an off the shelf instrument cluster from the Ski-Doo. Looks to me like the lack of an extra digit just slipped under the radar.

ThreeWheels
03-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Great news that BRP is responding.
Who is Carlo?. I'm new here.
Is Carlo accessible to the general public, or do you have a special relationship?
Can you please ask them one question?
What, if any, changes did they make to the gas gauge to make it more reliable?
Thank you in advance.

WaltH
03-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Great news that BRP is responding.
Who is Carlo?. I'm new here.
Is Carlo accessible to the general public, or do you have a special relationship?
Can you please ask them one question?
What, if any, changes did they make to the gas gauge to make it more reliable?
Thank you in advance.

Here's the announcement from the BRP website:

April 8, 2009, Spyder announcements
NEW E-MAIL CUSTOMER SUPPORT CONTACT FOR SPYDER OWNERS

BRP is proud to announce a new Customer Service representative dedicated to the Spyder owner Community. We recognize that our first Spyder owners are important ambassadors and deserve quality service. Therefore, Carlo will be assisting Spyder owners through a dedicated E-Mail address spydertechsupport@brp.com. Carlo is an avid motorcyclist and Spyder Ryder and has been with BRP as a member of the Customer Assistance Centre since 2000. Carlo is fluent in English, French and Italian and has extensive experience in powersports and assisting BRP product owners around the world.

Carlo will also be monitoring the various Spyder websites and forums to best identify key questions, trends and comments from Spyder owners. He will then respond to owners directly to ensure they have the most recent information. Please note that spydertechsupport@brp.com contact method is exclusive to Spyder owners. Once contacted through E-Mail, Carlo will coordinate the follow-up with owners through E-Mail or by phone in an efficient and timely manner. To assist in the process, we invite owners to identify their VIN (vehicle identification number) when E-Mailing Carlo.

In summary, here are the contact options:

spydertechsupport@brp.com Owners-only customer support resource designed to provide quick, expert responses to product-related or service questions.

spyderteam@brp.com Open to existing owners or Spyder enthusiasts for general product information, Web site information, information requests, local or corporate events and Web site support.

715-848-4957 OR 819-566-3366 : Open to everyone for general questions/requests.

Best Regards,

The Spyder Team

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for posting that they are looking into a way to correct it. I know you were definitely not happy with the response that came in Daytona.