PDA

View Full Version : Watching the fumes from vent hose

groundeffect
03-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone.

So, tonight I came back from a ride and had a good look underneath. My Spyder was just stopped, sitting there maybe 30 seconds before I was looking underneath.

Something caught my eye, and then I noticed it. Hot fumes were coming out of the vent hose from the evap. canister (the stock 2010 RS hose goes from the evap. canister down under the Radiator and out there the floor pans as seen here):
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=7590

You can't see fumes in this picture, it just shows you the hose I'm referring too.

At the very tip of this hose, HOT fumes were coming out. I knew this because I could see the fumes coming out and making everything around 'fuzzy and blurry' around it as the heat escaped.

My question: Is this normal???:dontknow:

I know the Spyder gets hot, but how much HOT fumes should be coming out of the Evap. Vent?

Thanks

NancysToy
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
"Hot" is relative. Any significant difference in temperature can cause the distortion when two different temperature gases meet. In addition, the gasoline fumes in the vented air can also add to the distortion. In warmer weather you may not have even noticed it. I wouldn't be concerned in the least. If you dissect enough frogs, you will run into the ugly guts sooner or later.

Tom in NM
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
My question: Is this normal???:dontknow:

I know the Spyder gets hot, but how much HOT fumes should be coming out of the Evap. Vent?

Thanks

Well, that is what the venting tube is there for.

As far as "how much?", probably just enough to spook you.

Tom

SpyderWolf
03-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, that is what the venting tube is there for.

That was my first thought as well. They actually had to extend the tube on the 08 and 09 models for one of the updates.

groundeffect
03-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments and replies on this.

Indeed, one of the things I checked after delivery was the extension of the evap can house, that was originally 6 inches I hear, on the 2008/2009 models, to the now 14-16inch hose that comes out the floor (like image above):

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=7591

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=7592

Didn't notice the fumes like this before, and just wanted to double check is all. Thanks everyone.

j45p3r
03-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Are you sure it was "hot"? It was probably just gasoline vapors from the canister.

groundeffect
03-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Are you sure it was "hot"? It was probably just gasoline vapors from the canister.

As mentioned by Scotty, hot is relative, and perhaps it was not 'HOT' (could be my bad, as I did not feel the vapor).

However, should fuel vapor be exiting the bike like this, for minutes after the bike has been shutdown?:dontknow:
The fuel in the gas tank is sealed for the most part and no vapor runs out of it, like from the vent hose. Do cars / trucks have a similar vent hose that allow fuel vapor to exit in this way? Concerns me; for example, you shutdown your bike and close a garage door behind you... it seems fuel vapor exiting for minutes after the shutdown will build up. Also, is this a potential fire hazard?

Just trying to understand if this is normal, as per the above concerns.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

j45p3r
03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
As mentioned by Scotty, hot is relative, and perhaps it was not 'HOT' (could be my bad, as I did not feel the vapor).

However, should fuel vapor be exiting the bike like this, for minutes after the bike has been shutdown?:dontknow:
The fuel in the gas tank is sealed for the most part and no vapor runs out of it, like from the vent hose. Do cars / trucks have a similar vent hose that allow fuel vapor to exit in this way? Concerns me; for example, you shutdown your bike and close a garage door behind you... it seems fuel vapor exiting for minutes after the shutdown will build up. Also, is this a potential fire hazard?

Probably what has happened is raw gasoline has made its way into the charcoal canister and what you are seeing is vapors from that gasoline exiting the canister. I would think the vapors will continue until all of the fuel has either evaporated or has been absorbed into the charcoal (if that is even possible).

Firefly
03-10-2010, 10:11 AM

Yes-- fuel vapor should exit the bike--- it's designed that way-- they just have it going thru the evap can first. If you look close the fuel tank has a vent hose that runs into the evap can.

SPYDERGUY1
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
i had the hose extension update done on my 08sm5, prior to that the gas smell was almost unbearable, since then have not noticed a whiff. not really a lot ok km/miles on it since but so far all is good. will definetly keep an eye and nose on it tho...........

krb1945
03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
gas tank. I've read on this forum that topping up sometimes puts more gas in the evap canister. /Ken

boborgera
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
gas tank. I've read on this forum that topping up sometimes puts more gas in the evap canister. /Ken

Just me now, :dontknow: i never go by the book. I fill the tank to the top. [can't get a drop more in] Never had a gas smell, didn't extend the evap can hose either. But I only fill it that much just before I'm going on a long ride. I'll go about 170/180 miles and still have one bar left on the gage.

Like i said a few times before what sometimes works on one Spyder doesn't always on another Spyder! Maybe they all come with there own personally and you have to mold them to yours?