PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Mod question

zavalza
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
FOr the ones that put a set of speakers or stereo on their spyders, question is, did they need a ground loop isolator?

To further explain myself, I mounted the speakers on the handlebars (Rumble Roads), I also have a crank case to power on/off which is fused already, but when I plugged everything, I hear a noise.

I disconnected the crank case, and just put power/ground to the speakers (as is the configuration without the crank case)

If I plug one speaker it works, but as soon as I power the second one I have the noise, so I think I am getting to ground connections but want to hear from you if you have any suggestion

BTW I am going to the battery connections for ground and for power I am going to the one under the seat. Also have a noise reduction filter plugged in, and already have tried with and without it having the same results

Thanks in advance

zavalza
03-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Bones, Tried, didn't work, after that installed the ground loop isolator and it worked like magic, and I was able to remove the noise filter also

Thanks for your reply

SpyderGirl
03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Where did you get that ground loop isolator? I am having a similar problem with my set-up.

ThreeWheels
03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Ditto

zavalza
03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry for taking so long, I went to a local RadioShack, apparently they dont have them in all the stores but if you go to the website you can check the availability in-store since online they dont carry it anymore

SpyderGirl
03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry for taking so long, I went to a local RadioShack, apparently they dont have them in all the stores but if you go to the website you can check the availability in-store since online they dont carry it anymore

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'll be removing all my panels soon to take in to get painted. While the parts are getting painted I'll be working on tweaking the stereo system including running all new speaker wire.

zavalza
03-18-2010, 01:41 PM
If you dont mind can you tell me how much aprox are you paying for the paint job and how long it takes?

I am interested in doing something around that but not sure of the cost, the providers or how long I need to plan to be without my Spyder

SpyderGirl
03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
If you dont mind can you tell me how much aprox are you paying for the paint job and how long it takes?

I am interested in doing something around that but not sure of the cost, the providers or how long I need to plan to be without my Spyder

Well I am getting an estimate done on Friday but won't be taking it in to get painted for a few weeks. I imagine my Spyder will be "naked" for about a week while waiting for the parts to be painted. My guesstimate right now is about $400 - $500. Of course I had one estimate as high as $800 already, but I can't really afford that.

I'll let you know.

Firefly
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Well I am getting an estimate done on Friday but won't be taking it in to get painted for a few weeks. I imagine my Spyder will be "naked" for about a week while waiting for the parts to be painted. My guesstimate right now is about $400 - $500. Of course I had one estimate as high as $800 already, but I can't really afford that.

I'll let you know.

I'd be leery of anyone that would only change $500 as they may not know how to properly paint plastic panels like these. I was thinking of buying the blue set of panels (around $1,200) because I figured it may be cheaper than having them painted....

SpyderGirl
03-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd be leery of anyone that would only change $500 as they may not know how to properly paint plastic panels like these. I was thinking of buying the blue set of panels (around $1,200) because I figured it may be cheaper than having them painted....

I priced the panels out at over $1,500 to buy them already painted plus I would have to get my bags painted too. I was looking at $2K.

And I am not looking for that "showroom quality" paintjob anyway, I ride my Spyder like crazy and I don't want to invest too much into something that is going to be messed up in a few years anyway. That's just me though.... and I cannot afford $1,500 for the panels -- maybe the $800 that I was quoted.

SpyderGirl
03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Well they wanted $825 to start with and couldn't even tell me if they could color match my parts.... heck no! And this was Earl Scheib (like Maaco). Geez!

I am just going to buy the parts pre-painted from the dealer. I get a discount so that should help.