PDA

View Full Version : My turn with steering issues

LittleJohn
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, it happened.
Had my bike in for a 12K service before daytona, and they did the ECM update / vent reroute, as well as the DPS software update. It had a few coughs in the engine, but I figured Id give it time to reset (maybe???)

The real issue was about 100 miles outta Houston on the way to Daytona. I was changing lanes from left to right, and the steering was quite "stiff" when applying left turn. When the DPS kicked in, it tried to launch me into the left lane again!!!!:yikes: It happened a couple more times and convinced me I wasnt makin it up in my head.
I loaded it on the chase truck / trailer we had and continued on to Daytona, where the dealer there zeroed my steering, which seemed to work great for the rest of the week. On the way home, I got about another 100 miles and it happened again so I flopped it back on the trailer and headed for home. :cus: The dealership has a DPS unit on order now.
Ill let ya'll know how it turns out.

ataDude
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, it happened...

Sorry that it happened to you. Good luck on getting it fixed! :thumbup:

And, don't blame the black wheels. :D

groundeffect
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Not Good......

Glad you are ok and you didn't have an a collision or crash!

Good luck with getting it fixed... please keep us updated.

Thanks, ryde safe (trailer it) and good luck.
Cheers.

(BRP - Where are you with progress on a absolute fix for the Dynamic Power Steering problems??)

docdoru
03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Obviously there is a correlation between update 1+2 and the DPS failure.

SpyderWolf
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear you have been added to the list of those with steering problems. I hope they are able to get it resolved for you quickly so you can be back to ryding again.

LittleJohn
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM
And, don't blame the black wheels. :D

Thats funny! thats exactly what i was gonna do....LOL:roflblack:

LittleJohn
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Obviously there is a correlation between update 1+2 and the DPS failure.
As I understand it, and I could be way off base, There is a known issue with some of the older DPS units that doesnt show until the DPS software update. If it was bad, it fails, if it wasnt, all is well. The problem lies in the fact that BRP will not authorize a DPS change under warranty until the software update has been applied and a failure documented, regardless of if it throws a code or not.
Someones gonna get hurt, if they havent already.

widowmaker2011
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
As I understand it, and I could be way off base, There is a known issue with some of the older DPS units that doesnt show until the DPS software update. If it was bad, it fails, if it wasnt, all is well. The problem lies in the fact that BRP will not authorize a DPS change under warranty until the software update has been applied and a failure documented, regardless of if it throws a code or not.

And it also has to do with the update and the way the update now tells the DPS to look at (or not look at......) the GPS (Gear position sensor). Been down this road. If your dealer has done a few and has a good BRP tech that thinks outside the manual , they will get it fixed correctly. Both ours did it and once correctly done (new GPS sensors also) they have been trouble free.

Way2Fast
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Large companies like Toyota will probably survive the issues they are having. Not so with BRP !! Their PWC and outboard sales are in the dumps. Spyder sales are nothing to brag about. Injuries and fatalities are bound to occur with the Spyder's ongoing steering problems. Once the lawsuits start to pour in BRP can kiss their arse bye-bye !! This matter should have been addressed properly from day one. If it had been people would no longer have to risk life and limb when they go for a ride on their Spyder. WAKE UP BRP !!!

ataDude
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Thats funny! thats exactly what i was gonna do....LOL:roflblack:

I knew it was coming. :D

Firefly
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Large companies like Toyota will probably survive the issues they are having. Not so with BRP !! Their PWC and outboard sales are in the dumps. Spyder sales are nothing to brag about. Injuries and fatalities are bound to occur with the Spyder's ongoing steering problems. Once the lawsuits start to pour in BRP can kiss their arse bye-bye !! This matter should have been addressed properly from day one. If it had been people would no longer have to risk life and limb when they go for a ride on their Spyder. WAKE UP BRP !!!

Pure speculation on your part. Can't sue them for damages until there are some-- you simply cannot sue them for what 'might' happen to you.

Even then, they have liability insurance to cover such things--- payouts on such lawsuits don't just come right out of BRP's bank account. If they get sued for a few injuries or deaths it would not put them out of business.

I would bet every MC and Car maker out there has been sued for injuries or deaths due to equipment failure.

Spyder sales might not be anything to brag about compared to other brands, but they have far exceeded what they originally planned for. I was told the initial run of 2008 PE Spyders was supposed to be 1,500 but they increased it to 2,500 because they were selling so fast. They sold another 2,500 non-PE 2008 Spyders---. I think they have been overwhelmed by how the sales have gone--- and the RT appears to be selling great.

I'm not sure about BRP specific numbers, but snowmobile sales in Michigan have been good this past year.

I do hope they can resolve the issue for those that are still having problems... been a long time coming for many to get the GPS, DPS and software patches fixed......

Smylinacha
03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Did you report it to the NHTSA?
Glad you are ok!

LittleJohn
03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Did you report it to the NHTSA?
Glad you are ok!

Not yet, but that is definately on my list of things to do.

SpyderGirl
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
YIKES!! Glad to hear you got to your destination safely.

musicarcade
03-10-2010, 03:28 PM
This DPS issue has got to be costing BRP a ton of $$-( I was gonna say and arm and a leg but realized that's what it may cost us- if not our lives)
I have had issues since mid November and my :spyder: has been in the shop since Jan. It's been brought home twice and trailered back to the dealer twice. I have had 1 GPS replaced 2 or 3 DPS's and now a SAS replaced. The two times it was trailered it was by the service dept. 65 miles away. All I have paid for is time and aggravation. I know BRP is paying for the parts and labor and it has got to be adding up for them.:dontknow:
So I have to think they want this fixed not only because of possible litigation, but because They are spending a lot $$$ trying to remedy the problem.

My spyder is supposed to be "fixed" by this weekend; If it isn't, I'll be demanding a tech from canada come down and fix it.
All I want is my:spyder: to run like the day I bought it.

LittleJohn
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
This DPS issue has got to be costing BRP a ton of $$-( I was gonna say and arm and a leg but realized that's what it may cost us- if not our lives)
I have had issues since mid November and my :spyder: has been in the shop since Jan. It's been brought home twice and trailered back to the dealer twice. I have had 1 GPS replaced 2 or 3 DPS's and now a SAS replaced. The two times it was trailered it was by the service dept. 65 miles away. All I have paid for is time and aggravation. I know BRP is paying for the parts and labor and it has got to be adding up for them.:dontknow:
So I have to think they want this fixed not only because of possible litigation, but because They are spending a lot $$$ trying to remedy the problem.

My spyder is supposed to be "fixed" by this weekend; If it isn't, I'll be demanding a tech from canada come down and fix it.
All I want is my:spyder: to run like the day I bought it.
Dont know your state laws, but I will give them 3 shots at it ( I think thats the magic number here) before I research lemon laws here in TX.

musicarcade
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't want to go there unless a last resort- I bought the :spyder:in Florida, It's serviced in Savannah GA., and I live in South Carolina.:dontknow:

TexasTripod
03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Dont know your state laws, but I will give them 3 shots at it ( I think thats the magic number here) before I research lemon laws here in TX. My Spyder has been in the shop twice lately for the steering problem ( This time for 11 days so far ). Texas does have a LEMON-LAW for motorcycles and this law is divided into two categories that determine how many chances a dealer gets to correct the problem. Since this is a safety related issue look under the SERIOUS SAFETY-HAZARD TEST section of the Lemon Law. There are specific criteria that must be met for this law to apply. As far as I'm concerned TICK-TOCK,TICK-TOCK.

ZRCAT600
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM

You stated there have been some problems with some of the older DPS units when they get the updates. What year is your Spyder? Are the problems both 08 and 09's? I have the 09 and just want to be aware what to be on the lookout for.

czdaryle
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Boy now that spring is here is seems these are getting posted every week!! I'm really getting nervous about taking my out. This is crazy..someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or die to get BRP rolling. We need to get this problem out in the public and I'm afraid the only way is if a serious accident happens where steering on these things causes it

Amanda B
03-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I was watching TV regarding Toyota and the Pruis that has been in the news lately. A guy from Apple reported there was a vehicle that acted up like this because it got a virus from an Ipod (don't know how true this is).

But, I was thinking they hook our bikes up to computers to do software updates and I wonder if some computers have a virus and pass it on???

Way2Fast
03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Boy now that spring is here is seems these are getting posted every week!! I'm really getting nervous about taking my out. This is crazy..someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or die to get BRP rolling. We need to get this problem out in the public and I'm afraid the only way is if a serious accident happens where steering on these things causes it

At least one person on this forum has already been hurt badly due to the steering issue. BRP still continues to hide it's head in the sand and ignore the issue. The most they have done is make empty promises to those who have requested an explanation on what causes the steering malfunctions and how their "fixes" will prevent it from happening again.

The problem with having a serious accident...if the rider dies, there will be no one to point a finger at the steering as the cause for the accident. Dead people can't talk.

SpyderGirl
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
At least one person on this forum has already been hurt badly due to the steering issue. BRP still continues to hide it's head in the sand and ignore the issue. The most they have done is make empty promises to those who have requested an explanation on what causes the steering malfunctions and how their "fixes" will prevent it from happening again.

The problem with having a serious accident...if the rider dies, there will be no one to point a finger at the steering as the cause for the accident. Dead people can't talk.

I think it is a little harsh saying that BRP is sticking their heads in the sand on this one. I do not believe that is true. There could be a lot of under-lying things going on that we do not know or do not understand.

Are they bending over backwards to fix this problem? No one really knows. :dontknow:

Way2Fast
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I think it is a little harsh saying that BRP is sticking their heads in the sand on this one. I do not believe that is true. There could be a lot of under-lying things going on that we do not know or do not understand.

Are they bending over backwards to fix this problem? No one really knows. :dontknow:

If there are "under-lying" things going on it should be the responsibility of BRP to explain what they are to the owners who seem to be risking their necks everytime they ride their Spyders due to steering issues that continue to affect more and more owners ! It is past time for them to bite the bullet and either fix or replace any and all Spyders that were equipped with possibly defective hard parts or software. IMO failing to do this is "hiding their heads in the sand"

Smylinacha
03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Well we are still waiting on a call to see what was wrong w/ the old DPS if they found anything.

I was looking around on the net at past postings about the steering and on other websites and as of now, it's been a year when this started happening to people. I hope nobody gets killed. I mean lots of us have ridden before and have some knowledge in how to handle situations. Some of us are brand new ryders who I am sure did some parking lot practice and got to know their machine real good. But then there are some of us who never rode a bike, let alone a reverse trike or conventional trike and maybe who knows - they just get the thing, take it on a trip, the steering acts up and they can't react in time. So that whole thing bugs me but I am trying to keep my mouth shut and stay calm.:dontknow:

SpyderGirl
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
If there are "under-lying" things going on it should be the responsibility of BRP to explain what they are to the owners who seem to be risking their necks everytime they ride their Spyders due to steering issues that continue to affect more and more owners ! It is past time for them to bite the bullet and either fix or replace any and all Spyders that were equipped with possibly defective hard parts or software. IMO failing to do this is "hiding their heads in the sand"

Not that I disagree with anything you said, but I do have to say that I would much rather them spend their time and money on working on a fix and fast instead of spending that time and money sending out letters and updates to the owners regarding their progress, or lack thereof if that's the case.

Don't just assume they are ignoring us. Most people are good and honest.

Just food for thought.

SpyderGirl
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Well we are still waiting on a call to see what was wrong w/ the old DPS if they found anything.

I was looking around on the net at past postings about the steering and on other websites and as of now, it's been a year when this started happening to people. I hope nobody gets killed. I mean lots of us have ridden before and have some knowledge in how to handle situations. Some of us are brand new ryders who I am sure did some parking lot practice and got to know their machine real good. But then there are some of us who never rode a bike, let alone a reverse trike or conventional trike and maybe who knows - they just get the thing, take it on a trip, the steering acts up and they can't react in time. So that whole thing bugs me but I am trying to keep my mouth shut and stay calm.:dontknow:

Very good points. I hope no one gets hurt, that's not cool. nojoke

sabunim5
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Not yet, but that is definately on my list of things to do.
I'll add my voice to those hoping you and everyone who has a power steering problem will submit a report to NHTSA. :pray:

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 01:18 PM
You stated there have been some problems with some of the older DPS units when they get the updates. What year is your Spyder? Are the problems both 08 and 09's? I have the 09 and just want to be aware what to be on the lookout for.

There have been reports of a few 09's having issues, but the vast majority of problems so far seem to be with the 08 models.

I also believe BRP is working on coming up with a fix. Those that have taken their Spyders to a dealer have had them worked on in an attempt to correct the steering issue. Some that have been worked on needed to go back to the dealer for more work, while others have been perfectly fine after the first repair.

This is a complex machine with several sensors that are supposed to work together in an attempt to help you steer it more easily. There is a chance that a couple of these sensors hick up and start actually fighting against each other instead. That is speculation on my part; however, it does seem that more than just the DPS can be involved as we have seen them replace GPS and SAS modules as well.

BRP may not be able to tell us exactly what is causing the issues right now; however, to say they have done absolutely nothing to correct the steering issues is just plain wrong.

If you are having a steering problem, get the machine to a dealer and report it to the NHTSA. Then you have done everything that is in your power to do, and it is up to them to correct the issue on your individual Spyder.

docdoru
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I also believe BRP is working on coming up with a fix.
Update No.3 :thumbup:

Firefly
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I was watching TV regarding Toyota and the Pruis that has been in the news lately. A guy from Apple reported there was a vehicle that acted up like this because it got a virus from an Ipod (don't know how true this is).

But, I was thinking they hook our bikes up to computers to do software updates and I wonder if some computers have a virus and pass it on???

100% urban legend--- no virus has affected cars in such a manner.

ZRCAT600
03-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks Spyderwolf for your reply. I do love the Spyder and cant wait to ride this summer. I understand that all things man made may have problems. I just want to be aware to watch for what might come my way. Life is truly short enjoy every minute!!:thumbup:

czdaryle
03-13-2010, 07:40 AM
How much time is reasonable? 6 mths to come up with a fix to me is enough time. Not to be sarcastic but what if the whole summer goes buy and nothing, is that okay? I guess there is nothing we can do. If they cant fix the problem, and it is starting to look like that is the case, I'm not sure what the answer is for BRP. I guess they can just say there is no problem and hope for the best. To be honest I am starting to feel I deserve my money back, but on the other hand that sounds ridiculous. Maybe we get what we paid for the bike off the rt and 0% financing on the balance??? I don't know. Ugh just wish this get down so I can stop thinking about it

Not that I disagree with anything you said, but I do have to say that I would much rather them spend their time and money on working on a fix and fast instead of spending that time and money sending out letters and updates to the owners regarding their progress, or lack thereof if that's the case.

Don't just assume they are ignoring us. Most people are good and honest.

Just food for thought.

Way2Fast
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
100% urban legend--- no virus has affected cars in such a manner.

Glad to see that you got some normal color back in your face :D

LittleJohn
03-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Well, I picked up the bike this weekend on Saturday and rode home with no obvious issues. Scared the crap outta me every time it would wiggle though. Yesterday, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. Went on a group ride of about 200 miles to run it through the wringer, and even though I imagined a few quirks early on, I think its back to where it was before all this mess. Might be just a bit more sensitive, or it might be me not remembering how it felt exactly.

Anyway, seems the DPS replacement worked on mine. The dealer did say he was told yet another software update was in the works...for what thats worth.

glynnk
03-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Well, I picked up the bike this weekend on Saturday and rode home with no obvious issues. Scared the crap outta me every time it would wiggle though. Yesterday, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. Went on a group ride of about 200 miles to run it through the wringer, and even though I imagined a few quirks early on, I think its back to where it was before all this mess. Might be just a bit more sensitive, or it might be me not remembering how it felt exactly.

Anyway, seems the DPS replacement worked on mine. The dealer did say he was told yet another software update was in the works...for what thats worth.

Glad to hear you're back on the road! Hope everything works out. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Glynnk

LittleJohn
03-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear you're back on the road! Hope everything works out. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Glynnk
Yeah, the first part of the ride was a lil scary. Every time the wind caught it and pushed it left, I lost a little more vinyl off the seat! :yikes: LOL
By the end of the ride, I was almost back to being confident in it.:2thumbs:
Hope to make some of the meet and eats soon!:chat:

SpyderWolf
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Glad to hear they appear to have your issue sorted out. Have fun getting used to it again, and ryde safe.

jeuchler
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, it happened.... it tried to launch me into the left lane again!!!!:yikes: It happened a couple more times and convinced me I wasnt makin it up in my head....and it happened again so I flopped it back on the trailer and headed for home. :cus: The dealership has a DPS unit on order now....

Well, I am also very glad you are safe, LittleJohn.

We have joked about your avatar for almost three years now--it sucks that the Little Tykes trike has more reliable steering. nojoke

I am (only?) on DPS #2 myself; I guess I should drive gingerly for the next hundred or so miles and see...

LittleJohn
03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I am (only?) on DPS #2 myself; I guess I should drive gingerly for the next hundred or so miles and see...

Thats what I did when I picked it up this weekend. After about 120 miles, I decided I needed to let loose and push it a little to make it perform or fail, whichever the case may be. So far, perform has been the result!!!!:2thumbs:

Hope youve got yours worked out too!!!

SpyderWolf
03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Thats what I did when I picked it up this weekend. After about 120 miles, I decided I needed to let loose and push it a little to make it perform or fail, whichever the case may be. So far, perform has been the result!!!!:2thumbs:

I have thought about this quite a bit, in case I have a steering issue pop up, and have come to the same conclusion. Hopefully neither of us will get hurt, but I am going to keep pushing the machine as long as I have the warranty to back it up. :thumbup: