PDA

View Full Version : Green Filter and Hindle

Trickie Dick
03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I installed a green filter over the winter and after riding the last couple of days I find it is running rougher than last year. Could this be because of the combination of the filter and Hindle? I put on the green filter because I needed to change the filter and it's cheaper in the long run. Does this combination require a juice box? Also I'm thinking of going back to the stock muffler. Would this make the problem worse, better, no change:dontknow: BTW I have done the recall but not the update.
I know it a lot of questions. Thanks

widowmaker2011
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I installed a green filter over the winter and after riding the last couple of days I find it is running rougher than last year. Could this be because of the combination of the filter and Hindle? I put on the green filter because I needed to change the filter and it's cheaper in the long run. Does this combination require a juice box? Also I'm thinking of going back to the stock muffler. Would this make the problem worse, better, no change:dontknow: BTW I have done the recall but not the update.
I know it a lot of questions. Thanks

If you had the initial recall done and never had the update done you are running lean due to the purge valve timing causing a pretty good evap leak (sucking air) (even if you were stock) The green filter and the hindle already make it run lean , so you really need to get the update done. The final step would be a juicebox but first get the update done so your not running way lean. :2thumbs:

bone crusher
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
The green filter is going to give you a more throaty sound, but your bike will be more responsive...

The JB will allow you to fiddle with the fuel mix to go along with the greater amount of air the green filter is giving you.

I had more noise just as I did when I added a K&N to my old BMW...vehicles like to breathe more...you just added a hp or two to your bike...along with the 4 from the hindle...

The JB will further this and is a great addition...I really love mine...still teaking it and figuring out that the settings make an appreciable difference to performance and mileage...

Campverdefela
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
If you had the initial recall done and never had the update done you are running lean due to the purge valve timing causing a pretty good evap leak (sucking air) (even if you were stock) The green filter and the hindle already make it run lean , so you really need to get the update done. The final step would be a juicebox but first get the update done so your not running way lean. :2thumbs:
:agree:

krb1945
03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
learn from sensor readings. I don't know if the spyder one does or not but if you start your engine cold and don't touch the throttle for about 5 minutes the mixture may reset. This procedure may not apply to the spyder.

Magic Man
03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
You should have all needed updates done first but like most bikes that have added a high flow filter and exhaust you most likely will have to use some sort of fuel management program to add fuel due to the added air flow.

What I find funny is that here in real world testing and running of your Spyder you have found out that the added air flow from one of these filters is so great it is now requiring you to add extra fuel to go along with it.

Yet on another thread here there are still people who are saying they don't believe these air filters flow more air. Without DYNO tests? :dontknow:

There is NO MAGIC in how this all works. Add extra air and extra fuel you get a bigger bang. Get a bigger bang you get more power.

Get all your updates done so you have a clean slate to start with. But I think you may still end up adding a fuel management system to be able to add the extra fuel you now need to go along with the increased air flow from these two mods.

MM

Trickie Dick
03-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for your input. I intend to get the update done ASAP. i tried to get it done last fall but the dealer said he had to order the parts.:hun: Well after about 5 phone call stretching over 2 months I finally was told they were in . I said fine. I'll bring it in this spring.
I'd like to get by without the JB but if I need it to make it run smoother, then so be it. The filter savings by going with the green filter will just take long to achieve. :roflblack: Oh well, riding this thing has never been about saving money, has it.:gaah:

Trickie Dick
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would continue this one.
I had the update done along with the evap tube a few weeks ago. Everything seemed to run better at first but now its back to running rough again. I'm getting the gas smell back (though not as bad) when idling after it gets warm. I'm also getting some backfiring when decelerating.
So , do I take it back to the dealer or get a fuel management system. If so what's the recommendation now. It seems like there are some new systems out there. As you can tell, I am not a "wrench".

NancysToy
04-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would continue this one.
I had the update done along with the evap tube a few weeks ago. Everything seemed to run better at first but now its back to running rough again. I'm getting the gas smell back (though not as bad) when idling after it gets warm. I'm also getting some backfiring when decelerating.
So , do I take it back to the dealer or get a fuel management system. If so what's the recommendation now. It seems like there are some new systems out there. As you can tell, I am not a "wrench".
I'd see your dealer. Could well be a bad evap system component.

Trickie Dick
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I'd see your dealer. Could well be a bad evap system component.
:thumbup: thanks will do.

SpyderWolf
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I am running the K&N replacement filter that fits in the air box along with the Hindle. I know my Spyder is running too lean, and I just ordered the new Juice Box Pro yesterday. I am not sure when it will ship, but I am definitely looking forward to getting it installed and seeing what kind of a difference it makes. I will post a new thread when it comes in and you can see if you might be interested in going that route as well. :thumbup:

burg650
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
What about the oxygen sensor does this make a difference when you change the exhaust and filter. I ask as I have the hindle and also the evoluzione air filter and there o2 modifier and I am thinking of putting back the stock o2 as my mileages has suffered a lot. Also I have the two updates and did the evap line move as well and I am still getting fuel smell (sometime real bad) and some back fire as well but that might be cause by exhaust leak by the hindle and pipes joint.

Trickie Dick
04-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I am running the K&N replacement filter that fits in the air box along with the Hindle. I know my Spyder is running too lean, and I just ordered the new Juice Box Pro yesterday. I am not sure when it will ship, but I am definitely looking forward to getting it installed and seeing what kind of a difference it makes. I will post a new thread when it comes in and you can see if you might be interested in going that route as well. :thumbup:
Looking forward to your update. One of my concerns is that I am getting ready to go on a little trip with Irish2theMax & Spydergene. I'm wondering if this continued high temperature running is going to have a negative effect:dontknow:

SpyderWolf
04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Looking forward to your update. One of my concerns is that I am getting ready to go on a little trip with Irish2theMax & Spydergene. I'm wondering if this continued high temperature running is going to have a negative effect:dontknow:

I have been running mine without the Juice Box for a few months now. I have ridden it in very cold weather, relatively speaking for here (27 degrees F), and it was close to 90 a couple of weeks ago. The Spyder has continued running pretty well. I do have a little backfiring on deceleration at times, and also know of a few instances when I can make it spit and sputter at lower speed. The good news is with the way it has been running I have no fear of it leaving me on the side of the road anytime soon.

Of course, this is only my experience and your mileage may vary.

Best of luck on the Route 66 Trip, if that is the one you are referring to. :thumbup:

Eddie
04-16-2010, 05:24 PM

What recall would that be?? I just got my 09 Rs so I am really new to this. Were would I look for recalls?? Thanks ED
PS
I have already added the green filter , Two Bro's M2 Exhaust and the JB

NancysToy
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
What recall would that be?? I just got my 09 Rs so I am really new to this. Were would I look for recalls?? Thanks ED
PS
I have already added the green filter , Two Bro's M2 Exhaust and the JB
If you bought your Spyder from a dealer, you shouldn't have to worry about the steering recall. It should have been done if yours was one of the 2009s that were subject to it.....not all 2009s were. If you bought privately, call a dealer and tell them your VIN#. They should be able to look it up and tell whether the steering recall, or the subsequent engine performance update, were needed...and whether or not they were completed yet.

Eddie
04-16-2010, 09:27 PM
If you bought your Spyder from a dealer, you shouldn't have to worry about the steering recall. It should have been done if yours was one of the 2009s that were subject to it.....not all 2009s were. If you bought privately, call a dealer and tell them your VIN#. They should be able to look it up and tell whether the steering recall, or the subsequent engine performance update, were needed...and whether or not they were completed yet.

OK thanks I purchased mine from a dealer as a NEW 09 demo model. I think I still will give them a shout.just for good measures.Knowing it had 5000 miles on it when I got it.Even though it was sold to me as New.It was still a demo model and hard telling what if any updates were done as they said they just came off the truck out from the east coast.From the day I got it.it always had an interm. dead spot on take of and even threw a check eng. light once,went out & never came on again. I pulled mine apart to inspect the spark plugs and air filter. The whole engine was covered in sand. I went ahead and blew it off.installed a green filter and a one step hotter NGK plug.