PDA

View Full Version : Sticky steering

jwhatman
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Just got back from a ride with my parents and hubby. My steering started acting up on the way home. It felt "sticky". No other way to describe it. It felt like it was catching, like it needed to be lubricated. Anyway, I didn't panic but put in a bit more effort to make the turn. Nothing I couldn't handle, hubby noticed though. Took a turn a bit wider than I usually do. I kept playing with the steering and it seemed to only really act up on right-handed turns. Mubby took it for a ride, but like he said, he doesn't ride it enough to know the difference. Taking it to the dealer on Friday. I do not have the second update and only 2600 miles on my 2008 Se. We'll see. No error codes came up either. I'll take it for another short ride to check it out with hubby, once it warms up. I still love this bike!
Joyce

YPILOT
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Good luck, Hope it's not a serious issue.

groundeffect
03-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi Joyce. Just wondering the model and year of your spyder, also the miles you currently have on it?

I hope there is nothing to it, but ryde careful, ryde safe. Have you had the BRP suggested recall update from June of 2009 installed/applied?
Cheers and ryde safe.

Just got back from a ride with my parents and hubby. My steering started acting up on the way home. It felt "sticky". No other way to describe it. It felt like it was catching, like it needed to be lubricated. Anyway, I didn't panic but put in a bit more effort to make the turn. Nothing I couldn't handle, hubby noticed though. Took a turn a bit wider than I usually do. I kept playing with the steering and it seemed to only really act up on right-handed turns. Mubby took it for a ride, but like he said, he doesn't ride it enough to know the difference. Taking it to the dealer on Friday. I do not have the second update and only 2600 miles on my 2008 Se. We'll see. No error codes came up either. I'll take it for another short ride to check it out with hubby, once it warms up. I still love this bike!
Joyce

jwhatman
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a 2008 SE5 with about 2600 miles on it. I have only had the first update done, I didn't feel I should get the second update, and I still won't. I will wait for the next one, considering there should be more testing done on it. While talking with my husband, and explaining it to him, it felt like the power steering went out, which it does when you reach a certain speed, but it felt like I had to use a bit more effort to make small corrections than I normally have to. I'll have them hook it up to the BUDS and check to make sure the steering is set to zero. Other than this, I have had no problems with this bike. I love it like a child! Hubby just rolls his eyes when I suggest we go for a ride, he knows I will not be a passenger on his, unless it's too packed and we know we won't be able to find a place to park both bikes, or it's too cold and I need to snuggle close. But even that's not an issue since he hardwired my heated jacket to the spyder. It warms the cockles of my heart, oh and he does too.
Joyce

groundeffect
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear you will be taking it to the dealer for a check on BUDS. Describing the feeling from the steering to the dealer should also help. When they connect to BUDS, they will find out if an update is required.

Good luck and please feel free to update us on what the dealer does/decides.

thanks

SpyderWolf
03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
My wife's did something similar on the way to Daytona. After we shut down and ate breakfast, I pushed on all of her relays and fuses to make sure they were properly seated. I did not feel anything out of the ordinary, but thought it was a good thing to do after reading many of the experiences on this forum. I then took it for a test ryde and did not have any problems with it. She rode it rest of the way to Daytona without incident, probably a good 200 miles or so. While there, Kurt from BRP hooked it up to BUDS and found the steering was a tiny bit off center. It shouldn't have been enough to cause an issue, but he rode around with the laptop hooked up to it and re-centered the steering for her. She rode rest of the time in Daytona and then back home yesterday without any problems at all. Hers did not throw any codes or anything either.

Hopefully you will be in a similar boat, and the dealer will be able to get you sorted out quickly. I wish you the best of luck with it, and please keep us posted as to what they may find out.

jwhatman
03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I hope so. My dealer is about 10 minutes away, I know, I'm very lucky in that regard. They also treat me very well. They know me by name and always are there to answer any questions. Hubby laughs because he used the same dealer for his Goldwing and they didn't know him at all. We would go walking into the dealership and they would all say hi to me and nothing to him. He just laughed. It's not that I have been there a lot, but I guess they don't get many female riders in there and if they do, usually it's their husband doing all of the talking. I do as much research on what I drive as my husband does, I want to know all I can about the vehicles. So I go in there armed with information and questions. I am confident this will get sorted out.
Thanks,
Joyce

SpyderWolf
03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope so. My dealer is about 10 minutes away, I know, I'm very lucky in that regard. They also treat me very well. They know me by name and always are there to answer any questions. Hubby laughs because he used the same dealer for his Goldwing and they didn't know him at all. We would go walking into the dealership and they would all say hi to me and nothing to him. He just laughed. It's not that I have been there a lot, but I guess they don't get many female riders in there and if they do, usually it's their husband doing all of the talking. I do as much research on what I drive as my husband does, I want to know all I can about the vehicles. So I go in there armed with information and questions. I am confident this will get sorted out.
Thanks,
Joyce

That is awesome. Our nearest dealer that we worked with was 1 1/2 hours away and closed down. We are now on the hunt for another really good one, and am hoping for a situation like yours, although they will be 2 hours away at best.

jwhatman
03-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I know I'm lucky about that. I could also go to the St. Augustine dealer where I bought my bike and he's about an hour away. They both are great dealers and are owned by motorcycle enthusiasts, not corporate people. So they do their research and know how to treat their customers. I hope it's just something simple. Hubby and I have a trip planned for the beginning of June to go back up to the Georgia Mountains.
Joyce

Cundiffla
03-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Joyce

Mine did the same thing coming home from Daytona on the way home it felt just like what yours did. I took it to my dealer and they checked the all tire pressure notice the two front tires was down 10 psi and not 15 psi as require. after they inflat the tire test drove it. It seems to be fine. I drove it Sunday all day no problems. I will be on a watch for this. Let me know what your dealer says. I will be wondering about this until I hear a confirmation of what the problem really is. Mine is 2008 SE5 has 11,281 miles.

groundeffect
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Mine did the same thing coming home from Daytona on the way home it felt just like what yours did. I took it to my dealer and they checked the all tire pressure notice the two front tires was down 10 psi and not 15 psi as require. after they inflat the tire test drove it. It seems to be fine. I drove it Sunday all day no problems. I will be on a watch for this. Let me know what your dealer says. I will be wondering about this until I hear a confirmation of what the problem really is. Mine is 2008 SE5 has 11,281 miles.

Interesting note about the tire pressure maybe causing these steering jumps.

:popcorn:

cheers and Ryde Safe, everyone.

pitmon
03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Get it checked out... that's how it starts... like a glitch or a hiccup, ever so slight that you think it was just you or the wind. Mine did that then it didn't do it again for about 400 miles... then wham! Get it checked out and ryde safe! :thumbup:

ArmyJoe
03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
While talking with my husband, and explaining it to him, it felt like the power steering went out, which it does when you reach a certain speed, but it felt like I had to use a bit more effort to make small corrections than I normally have to.

That's exactly the problem I have, even after three visits to the dealer. I'll be interested to see what you find.

jwhatman
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I checked the tire pressure before we rode. All was fine. Made the appt for friday. Jim, the service rep was trying to tell me that the second update will automatically be done as soon as they hook it up to BUDS. I told him he was incorrect. It will not download the second update unless told to do so. I told him I will NOT get the second update as another update will soon be released. I will be waiting while they work on the bike to make sure all is done correctly and so I can talk to the mechanic. I"ll let you know what I find out.
Joyce

groundeffect
03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: Good luck, thanks for keeping us in the loop on this, thus far.

Looking forward to your updates... and good luck!

Cheers.

I checked the tire pressure before we rode. All was fine. Made the appt for friday. Jim, the service rep was trying to tell me that the second update will automatically be done as soon as they hook it up to BUDS. I told him he was incorrect. It will not download the second update unless told to do so. I told him I will NOT get the second update as another update will soon be released. I will be waiting while they work on the bike to make sure all is done correctly and so I can talk to the mechanic. I"ll let you know what I find out.
Joyce

SpyderWolf
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Joyce

Sounds like a good plan to me. I will be waiting to hear what you find out as well.

jwhatman
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay, Maybe I won't be taking it in tomorrow. We have had some bad storms here today with tornado warnings, hail, etc. It's supposed to be nasty tomorrow too, we'll see. If it's not too bad I just put on some rain gear and head out. A 10 min drive is fine in rain, just not in a downpour. I will be waiting on the bike..Probably hovering and annoying the tech while I am at it, making sure he does NOT do the second update. I can be a bit intimidating when I want to. I'll let you know how it goes.
Joyce

Smylinacha
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe someone in here will correct me if I'm wrong but I think once you bring it to the dealer and it's hooked up to BUDS then you are SOL and you get the update whether you want it or not.

Okay, Maybe I won't be taking it in tomorrow. We have had some bad storms here today with tornado warnings, hail, etc. It's supposed to be nasty tomorrow too, we'll see. If it's not too bad I just put on some rain gear and head out. A 10 min drive is fine in rain, just not in a downpour. I will be waiting on the bike..Probably hovering and annoying the tech while I am at it, making sure he does NOT do the second update. I can be a bit intimidating when I want to. I'll let you know how it goes.
Joyce

RoadHammer
03-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Maybe someone in here will correct me if I'm wrong but I think once you bring it to the dealer and it's hooked up to BUDS then you are SOL and you get the update whether you want it or not.
Yip.... your right

ataDude
03-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Yip.... your right

Nope... the second update was not "forced"... just the first. In fact, if I recall correctly, there was a VIN number range assigned to it.

Smylinacha
03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I had both updates and then mine went.

NancysToy
03-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't think I would worry about the second update. It is an engine performance update that corrects the changes they made in the steering recall update, that made some Spyders run poorly and smell of gasoline. If your VIN calls for it, and you have any surging or fuel smell after the steering recall, I would recommend the update. It is my belief that the recall alone exposed the issues that some people are now seeing as steering failures. I doubt that having also had the second update was more than a coincidence, since most people had both, There is no way to say which, if any, was associated with the steering problems, under those circumstances. I expect that if you are going to have the steering problem, you will have it just as readily after the recall alone. Just my 2¢, of course.

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't think I would worry about the second update. It is an engine performance update that corrects the changes they made in the steering recall update, that made some Spyders run poorly and smell of gasoline. If your VIN calls for it, and you have any surging or fuel smell after the steering recall, I would recommend the update. It is my belief that the recall alone exposed the issues that some people are now seeing as steering failures. I doubt that having also had the second update was more than a coincidence, since most people had both, There is no way to say which, if any, was associated with the steering problems, under those circumstances. I expect that if you are going to have the steering problem, you will have it just as readily after the recall alone. Just my 2¢, of course.

:agree:

My Spyder started the surging issue after having the steering recall applied to it. The important thing to remember is that the first "update" was actually a recall and the dealerships are forced to do it once the Spyder is hooked up to BUDS. This is for safety reasons on all Spyders. The other updates have been for a range of VIN numbers, or if your Spyder has the symptoms of a known problem.

Hopefully the weather will be good enough for you to get it in to your dealer. When I first got my Spyder I rode it more in the rain that out of the rain for 2 months. :D

jwhatman
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Okay, I did end up taking the spyder in for its service, rain and all. I did talk to the mechanic and he informed me that if he hooks it up to BUDS it will do the second update automatically. I declined. I explained to him about the third update coming soon, and he also agreed that the second update shouldn't be done yet. He does know about the steering. He said he worked on another spyder who had the second recall done. As he was checking the steering he noticed that they had it set jacked over to the left. The owner complained of the bike being hesitant in steering response, then it would just suddenly veer off in the direction he wanted to go without warning. The tech realigned the steering and set it to zero, then checked it again. The owner has not had a problem since. They do remember you Lamont, you left quite an impression on them. When I go for the third update the tech wants to check out the steering and he is going to check all the units for me to make sure no other issues.
These guys just always treat me right, even wiping down the seat and putting it under cover so I wouldn't get on a wet seat, even though it was still raining. So I will be waiting for the third update. I did get to finally sit on a RT, big plush and comfy, just like my recliner at home.

Thanks,
Joyce

groundeffect
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the update.

I explained to him about the third update coming soon, and he also agreed that the second update shouldn't be done yet.

Can you elaborate a little on the third, update? What is this third update?

thank you

SpyderWolf
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Okay, I did end up taking the spyder in for its service, rain and all. I did talk to the mechanic and he informed me that if he hooks it up to BUDS it will do the second update automatically. I declined. I explained to him about the third update coming soon, and he also agreed that the second update shouldn't be done yet. He does know about the steering. He said he worked on another spyder who had the second recall done. As he was checking the steering he noticed that they had it set jacked over to the left. The owner complained of the bike being hesitant in steering response, then it would just suddenly veer off in the direction he wanted to go without warning. The tech realigned the steering and set it to zero, then checked it again. The owner has not had a problem since. They do remember you Lamont, you left quite an impression on them. When I go for the third update the tech wants to check out the steering and he is going to check all the units for me to make sure no other issues.
These guys just always treat me right, even wiping down the seat and putting it under cover so I wouldn't get on a wet seat, even though it was still raining. So I will be waiting for the third update. I did get to finally sit on a RT, big plush and comfy, just like my recliner at home.

Thanks,
Joyce

Once again it sounds like a great service department and a very good mech as well. You can't beat that.

Thanks for sharing the update.
Can you elaborate a little on the third, update? What is this third update?
thank you

While many think BRP is not doing anything about these steering issues, some of us believe they are trying to figure out what the main cause is but it is not an easy fix. It is believed that they will be releasing a third update once they come up with a solid resolution.

I for one do not think they want to be like Toyota, and put a shim in place that does not truly fix the issue people are having.

NancysToy
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
While many think BRP is not doing anything about these steering issues, some of us believe they are trying to figure out what the main cause is but it is not an easy fix. It is believed that they will be releasing a third update once they come up with a solid resolution.

I for one do not think they want to be like Toyota, and put a shim in place that does not truly fix the issue people are having.
I doubt you will see another "update". Programming may have exposed the problems, but they seem to be hardware (or compatibility) related. IMO, it is going to take hard parts to fix them. I'm sure they would not want to put their eggs in that same basket again. At this point any third update is just a rumor.

If you have problems, get it fixed now! Maybe they will have to do it again later, but they cannot determine what the problems are unless they have the failed Spyders in hand. If everybody just waits, this thing will stall forever. Besides, do you really want to ride a Spyder with known issues?

Tom in NM
03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I doubt you will see another "update". Programming may have exposed the problems, but they seem to be hardware (or compatibility) related. IMO, it is going to take hard parts to fix them. I'm sure they would not want to put their eggs in that same basket again. At this point any third update is just a rumor.

If you have problems, get it fixed now! Maybe they will have to do it again later, but they cannot determine what the problems are unless they have the failed Spyders in hand. If everybody just waits, this thing will stall forever. Besides, do you really want to ride a Spyder with known issues?

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: !

Joyce, I have had the steering issue. GET IT FIXED.

Putting the updates and repairs off over "things" you have heard - that may not even apply to your situation - is a very poor action plan. It sounds like you have a good service department and you like them - now is the time to put your faith in them and get this problem resolved.

Joyce, I have said my experiences with the steering problem were preferable to having a tire blow out. BUT, please, do not accept this as it is a minor inconvenience - if it happens on a slick road surface or on a highway S curve with lots of traffic, the results could result in a total loss of control.

I would not let a family member or friend ride with this known problem - period! The Spyder would be in the shop and I would be working with them to get the problem resolved - no matter how many steps/visits it might take. BRP and my service department did a fantastic job - since the "fix", my Spyder has been perfect and has never run better.

Please, do not put it off.

Tom

jwhatman
03-15-2010, 10:27 AM
I appreciate all the replies. I want to thank Tom in NM for getting me to really think hard on getting the second update. I agree it is a safety issue. I will be calling the dealer on my next day off to set up an appointment to talk to the spyder tech and have him walk me through what the second update it actually updating and how it's done. They are really great on helping you understand what they are doing and why. I'll let you know when I go in again.
Joyce