PDA

View Full Version : DPS issue

BHawksworth
03-07-2010, 03:24 PM
So, the good news and the bad news:

1) I got my Spyder RT-S (limited edition). I'd ordered an audio and convenience, but the shop kindly upgraded me to the ltd edition at no additional cost

2) The bad news. About 100 miles on the odometer the bike threw a code while running at about 50 mph. The warning 'light' illuminated and the RCC flashed an issue with the DPS. The engine light also illuminated. I think I also lost power, but I'm not really sure about that. In any event, few seconds later, power was fine.

I took the bike home (I couldn't feel any change to the steering), let it sit, and started it up, then drove it 15-20 miles. No recurrence of the code. I'm sure it's still stored in the computer, but I don't know how to get the codes on an RT.

Ben

NancysToy
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
The fault code retrieval procedure is listed on another thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17274&highlight=mode+button+code), but it will only retrieve active codes. To retrieve the "occured" codes you will have to take it to a dealer and hook it up to BUDS, which you should do anyway, with difficulties on a brand new ride.

Based on your problem, though, make sure your battery is fully charged, and check that the relays and fuses are all pressed firmly in place.

Lamonster
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Chances are it was a low battery and a real DPS problem.

groundeffect
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
1) I got my Spyder RT-S (limited edition)

There is a recall, as I understand it, on the RT (RT-S???) regarding a possible loss of power as a result of a wiring harness being tightly packed under the ignition section. It may or may not affect you, but may want to check with your dealer that it was verified your RT was in the recall range and checked, or not affected.

Hope that helps and good luck. Please keep us updated on what you find out. As Scotty mentioned, having the code would be useful, but your dealer, if you go in to them ( a good idea, ihmo ) will get it from BUDS computer connection.

Cheers and good luck.

BHawksworth
03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks all - took it for another ride, still no problems. But, I've had issues with intermittent codes on other bikes before so I guess I'll wait and see - though I'll definitely bring it up with the dealer.

There is a recall, as I understand it, on the RT (RT-S???) regarding a possible loss of power as a result of a wiring harness being tightly packed under the ignition section. It may or may not affect you, but may want to check with your dealer that it was verified your RT was in the recall range and checked, or not affected.

Hope that helps and good luck. Please keep us updated on what you find out. As Scotty mentioned, having the code would be useful, but your dealer, if you go in to them ( a good idea, ihmo ) will get it from BUDS computer connection.

Cheers and good luck.

Dwight
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Bhawksworth,

Did it go into "limp mode"? Limp mode won't let the rpm go above 3500 rpm, that's equal to about 50 mph on my RT. If it did go into limp mode I would suspect the same problem I had (see the thread on limp mode). I got my RT back from the dealer Saturday. It was in for service and the limp mode fault. After much testing by the tech at the direction of BRP the "Yaw Sensor" was replaced. Luckily the tech experienced the same fault on a test ride after they had performed all of the tests BRP wanted. BRP then authorized the replacement of the Sensor. They had been reluctant to replace it because they had never had any problems with the yaw sensor (per BRP!). Much credit goes to the tech at Reno's in KC. They had actually ordered the sensor before BRP ok'ed it. If they hadn't I still would be waiting on my trike. I was treated very well by Reno's, I'd reccommend them to anyone, their Spyder tech had just completed another BRP school and appears to be very knowledgeable about them.

Dwight

docdoru
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Limp mode won't let the rpm go above 3500 rpm, that's equal to about 50 mph on my RT. Dwight
Max 4,500 rpm in any gear and/or 45 mph.

docdoru
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
They had been reluctant to replace it because they had never had any problems with the yaw sensor (per BRP!). Dwight
I know at least 8 Spyders with the YAW sensor replaced.

BHawksworth
03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure. It stumbled, seemed to lose power. I had to pull across a lane to the shoulder, as I was afraid I was going to come to a stop in the middle of the highway (a big thank you to the pickup that ran up my ass while I was trying to do this), but by the time I got there the power had returned. So maybe it was briefly in iimp home mode, or maybe it was some other issue. Curiously I was not turning when this happened. Just straight line driving.

Bhawksworth,

Did it go into "limp mode"? Limp mode won't let the rpm go above 3500 rpm, that's equal to about 50 mph on my RT. If it did go into limp mode I would suspect the same problem I had (see the thread on limp mode). I got my RT back from the dealer Saturday. It was in for service and the limp mode fault. After much testing by the tech at the direction of BRP the "Yaw Sensor" was replaced. Luckily the tech experienced the same fault on a test ride after they had performed all of the tests BRP wanted. BRP then authorized the replacement of the Sensor. They had been reluctant to replace it because they had never had any problems with the yaw sensor (per BRP!). Much credit goes to the tech at Reno's in KC. They had actually ordered the sensor before BRP ok'ed it. If they hadn't I still would be waiting on my trike. I was treated very well by Reno's, I'd reccommend them to anyone, their Spyder tech had just completed another BRP school and appears to be very knowledgeable about them.

Dwight

BHawksworth
03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I added another 130 miles with no recurrence of the problem. I talked to the tech at my local shop. He said (accurately) that there have been lots of problems with DPS issues with Spyders. He put them in two categories: 1) warning lights that can be corrected by a software update; and 2) genuine mechanical problems.

He suggested I continue to ride through my 600 mile service and see if it recurs. I feel pretty comfortable with this because when the issue arose, I didn't experience an actual steering problem. I would, however, prefer not to lose power in the middle lane of a highway. Maybe just me, though.

Apparently it costs BRP $1500 for a new DPS. And he says that they are insistent on immediately receiving the faulty DPS motor. I guess that's a good thing. $1500 must eat into profit, so I presume they are fairly enthusiastic about solving these types of issues.

Firefly
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I added another 130 miles with no recurrence of the problem. I talked to the tech at my local shop. He said (accurately) that there have been lots of problems with DPS issues with Spyders. He put them in two categories: 1) warning lights that can be corrected by a software update; and 2) genuine mechanical problems.

He suggested I continue to ride through my 600 mile service and see if it recurs. I feel pretty comfortable with this because when the issue arose, I didn't experience an actual steering problem. I would, however, prefer not to lose power in the middle lane of a highway. Maybe just me, though.

Apparently it costs BRP $1500 for a new DPS. And he says that they are insistent on immediately receiving the faulty DPS motor. I guess that's a good thing. $1500 must eat into profit, so I presume they are fairly enthusiastic about solving these types of issues.

The manufacturer of the DPS units (Kongsberg ) is covering them--- so BRP isn't footing the entire bill. Besides, they should have insurance in place to cover such incidents.

BHawksworth
03-18-2010, 08:14 AM
So... my RT-S threw DPS/engine/VSS codes again yesterday, and went into limp home mode. Drove back at <45 mph for five miles. 238 miles on the odometer.

BHawksworth
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
The dealer says that the problem was a bad steering sensor - so I guess I'll wait and see how she operates on the road.

BHawksworth
04-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Got my RT-S back today. Drove about twenty miles, got on an off-ramp, and suddenley felt the bike tug to the left, pulling me toward the outside of the corner for a moment. Not uncontrollable - it only happened briefly, like the VSS had triggered the left front brake. Then on came the VSS, DPS, and engine lights. Sigh. Back to the dealer, with less than 300 miles. Very disappointing.

Lamonster
04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Got my RT-S back today. Drove about twenty miles, got on an off-ramp, and suddenley felt the bike tug to the left, pulling me toward the outside of the corner for a moment. Not uncontrollable - it only happened briefly, like the VSS had triggered the left front brake. Then on came the VSS, DPS, and engine lights. Sigh. Back to the dealer, with less than 300 miles. Very disappointing.
At this point I would contact Carlo
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10017

If you would like me to blaze the trail for you let me know.

musicarcade
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM

:2thumbs:
Lamont is good at blazing trails.
Thanks for helping me out Lamont!nojoke
:doorag:

BHawksworth
04-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I will, if he hasn't seen this exchange already. He had been kind enough to call me previously, and to put in a word for me at the dealer (who have been trying to be helpful, too), which I much appreciated. Of course, that was before this latest event.