PDA

View Full Version : Torex screws for side panels

groundeffect
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey there guys/gals.

I lost one of the side panels torex head screws from a side panel. Just wondering if there is a place to get them online, as my local Canadian Tire and Home Depot don't carry them.

In the mean time I have a same size flat head doing the job, but it's not the same ;) and I'd rather Torex head to replace it, and maybe a few extras to have on hand.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

wyliec
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey there guys/gals.

I lost one of the side panels torex head screws from a side panel. Just wondering if there is a place to get them online, as my local Canadian Tire and Home Depot don't carry them.

In the mean time I have a same size flat head doing the job, but it's not the same ;) and I'd rather Torex head to replace it, and maybe a few extras to have on hand.

Thanks

The only place I found was the dealer; around $5.00 a piece.

musicarcade
03-07-2010, 01:56 PM
:yikes:
:wrong:

musicarcade
03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
You might try here- but they are still expensive...
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-4078&CAWELAID=220566554

docdoru
03-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Hey there guys/gals.

Thanks
I changed mine with silver, PM me the address, I'll send you some.

truck 85
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM
yea lost one two and they do almost 5.00 each it dumb but i have not been able to find them any where elsenojoke.

jgwoods
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I asked the guys in the shop at 3a motors and they gave me a handful. I know when I was a mechanic I always had lots of spare fasteners gleaned from vandalism repairs, wrecks and such.

NancysToy
03-07-2010, 03:15 PM

:yikes:
:wrong:
:agree: but they are blackened stainless, with a wider head than standard button head screws, with a plastic washer, and Scotchgrip threadlocker on the screws. Maybe not worth $5, but worth more than a measly $1. JMHO

If the yellow Scotchgrip threadlocker is about gone on screws you remove, it pays to replace them. The Scotchgrip is reusable, but less effective each time. You can try Loctite, but be aware that it will damage any plastic it comes in contact with, either through excess or as it squeezes out when torqued.

ataDude
03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
... Torex head...

Torx. That's my input! :D

groundeffect
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
WOW $5 each... that is expensive. I agree they are good fasteners, but a little pricey.

ataDude: Ah, Torex, thanks ;)

musicarcade: Thanks for the links!

Scotty:

You can try Loctite, but be aware that it will damage any plastic it comes in contact with, either through excess or as it squeezes out when torqued.

I didn't know that, Scotty, thanks for the tip.

Doc - PM sent.
Cheers guys!

MarkLawson
03-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I changed mine with silver, PM me the address, I'll send you some.

Where do you get silver? (I'm assuming they're stainless)

Campverdefela
03-07-2010, 05:25 PM
:agree: but they are blackened stainless, with a wider head than standard button head screws, with a plastic washer, and Scotchgrip threadlocker on the screws. Maybe not worth $5, but worth more than a measly $1. JMHO

If the yellow Scotchgrip threadlocker is about gone on screws you remove, it pays to replace them. The Scotchgrip is reusable, but less effective each time. You can try Loctite, but be aware that it will damage any plastic it comes in contact with, either through excess or as it squeezes out when torqued.
Where is the yellow Scotchgrip available from, I only can find the red and blue liquid.

docdoru
03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Where do you get silver? (I'm assuming they're stainless)
eBay 2008.

NancysToy
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Where is the yellow Scotchgrip available from, I only can find the red and blue liquid.
Scotchgrip is a commercial compound. Probably not available OTC. It is not the same as Loctite type threadlockers. It dries to a soft solid, for one. It contains epoxy "capsules" that combine when broken under the pressure of tightening. When they dry they cause the initial removal torque to be several times the tightening torque.

YPILOT
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey there guys/gals.

Thanks
Does any one know the size specs for these screws? PM me if you do. Thanks Dennis

SpyderWolf
03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
ESI had a Spyder on display at their booth in Daytona. They had replaced all of the Torx head screws with the 3/4 turn quick releases like you have on the lower left cover. I thought that was a very cool idea. However, they did say it took quite a while to do, and was a little costly, because you have to add all of the proper backing pieces to the Spyder for each one of those connectors to go into.

ataDude
03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
ESI had a Spyder on display at their booth in Daytona. They had replaced all of the Torx head screws with the 3/4 turn quick releases like you have on the lower left cover. I thought that was a very cool idea. However, they did say it took quite a while to do, and was a little costly, because you have to add all of the proper backing pieces to the Spyder for each one of those connectors to go into.

I did that to mine before I traded it in. Parts were about $100 from http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=104_25&products_id=48 The link is to the black 14mm fasteners. She has polished, also... but get the 14mm regardless.

Took a couple of hours and some trimming in places.

SpyderWolf
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I did that to mine before I traded it in. Parts were about $100 from http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=104_25&products_id=48 The link is to the black 14mm fasteners. She has polished, also... but get the 14mm regardless.

Thanks for that info and link! I may still consider this for one of my future mods. :thumbup:

dryheat
03-08-2010, 12:28 AM

I bought a pkg. of 10 from Kurveygirl and just did a couple panels... and now have a few spare Torx screws!:2thumbs:

groundeffect
03-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks for that info and link! I may still consider this for one of my future mods. :thumbup:

I've thought about it also, but not on the top of my list, so I'll stick with finding a few extra torx head screws for now.

Thanks for sharing the link to this!
Cheers!