PDA

View Full Version : RT Covers

NancysToy
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
As many new owners have discovered, BRP switched the cover included with the RT-S from the smaller, original Travel Cover to an intermediate, larger Outdoor Cover. I bought a Travel Cover, and thought you might like to see the differences. BTW, the Travel Cover is considerably cheaper, so we got the more expensive one free. The Travel Cover is a lot smaller, and takes up much less luggage space.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8090
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8091

The Travel Cover fits over just the rear trunk, windshield, console, and seat. The Outdoor Cover fits over the entire Spyder except the front fenders. The Travel cover does not have a windshield protective panel, so a large pillowcase or something over the windshield would be a help. Both covers have integral storage pockets. Both covers also have slits for the antenna(e), so some water will infiltrate there. The covers fit very closely, and require a certain sequence to install. Instructions come with the covers.

The Travel Cover fits over the antenna(e) first, then is pulled over the windshield past the console, adjustable loops tie it to the footpegs to keep it taught. It does not cover the trunk lid or saddlebag covers, so when you open them, water collected in the cracks at the openings will run inside. The trunk lip will keep those contents dry, but a small amount of water may end up in the saddlebag lids when they are opened.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8107
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8106

The Outdoor Cover must be started at the front, hanging it over the windshield. There are two zippers at the rear that must be opened (or at least the one at the antenna(e) must be unzipped). Hard to start the zipper again once the cover is stretched back past the trunk. There is a hook and an elastic loop on each side. Fasten those to hold the zipper halves closed, and it is easier to get the zipper started. Pull the back down, then pull the front the rest of the way down, and pull the front down past the nose. There are footpeg loops on this one, too.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8110
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8111

ThreeWheels
03-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that. I haven't even opened up the package yet, but I noticed that it was a very large package, took up the whole frunk, and I had decided it was way too big to take on a trip.
I would have preferred the travel cover. I'll have to see if the travel cover off my old bike will fit, and if it does, I guess I won't sell it.

YPILOT
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Scotty, Have you tried the travel cover on your other spyder? With a large shield or fairing my original outdoor cover won't fit anymore. Maybe you could try it and snap a pic for us. Thanks Dennis

Some Guy
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Scotty, Have you tried the travel cover on your other spyder? With a large shield or fairing my original outdoor cover won't fit anymore. Maybe you could try it and snap a pic for us. Thanks Dennis

I'm also curious... :D

NancysToy
03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
It would be a while. The other one is buried by the snow, but will soon be surrounded by a sea of mud. Won't see daylight for at least a month or more. Not sure why the BRP Outdoor Cover for the RS would not fit anymore with mods. Nancy's fits with the CHAD and BRP Givi saddlebags. Doesn't come all the way to to the bottom of the nose, but covers way more than the RT Travel Cover does on the RT. Doubt the RT covers will fit well, due to the high part in the back for the rrunk. Doubt it would fit over a Givi topcase, either, since those are wider than the RT rrunk.

frank3
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM
VERY nice article Scotty. I don't think BRP could of done as well. The dscriptions and photos were great. You should think about editing service manuals as a side line. :firstplace:

Dwight
03-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I traded the big cover that came with the RT back to the dealer for the small travel cover. I would have never used the big cover so I didn't care about the difference in price. BTW thanks Scotty for the heads up on installing them!

Dwight

ArmyJoe
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

For the RS, check out http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/en-US/Product-Detail/280000337

If you click the Description arrow, you can see that it says "Use model 219400197 when the roadster is equipped with the Ultra Touring Windshield"

ETA: I have neither purchased or seen this cover

YPILOT
03-04-2010, 10:46 PM
It would be a while. The other one is buried by the snow, but will soon be surrounded by a sea of mud. Won't see daylight for at least a month or more. Not sure why the BRP Outdoor Cover for the RS would not fit anymore with mods. Nancy's fits with the CHAD and BRP Givi saddlebags. Doesn't come all the way to to the bottom of the nose, but covers way more than the RT Travel Cover does on the RT. Doubt the RT covers will fit well, due to the high part in the back for the rrunk. Doubt it would fit over a Givi topcase, either, since those are wider than the RT rrunk.
I guess its not so much that it won,t fit anymore as I just wanted something smaller to cover the top half to keep the dew off during overnight stays on road trips. I will be installing the Mantis fairing soon (I hope) and just have the large Corbin backrest for now. I'm unsure what rear top case I will get. I just haven't seen what I want.

Jester
03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
We were told we had a travel cover so we ordered the larger cover. Earlier in the week, we tried out the cover and discovered that it was not either. As stated, it covers everything except the front fenders and wheels. We keep the bike in a garage 90% of the time so we are inclined to cancel the full cover and be happy with the one furnished!:2thumbs:

By the way Scotty, those are great pictures!

MarkLawson
03-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time & effort to show the rest of us the two covers.

TicketBait
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for taking the time & effort to show the rest of us the two covers.

Admin:this thread should be pinned at the top for others to see how to install.

Great write up and photos Scotty!:thumbup:

SC_DOC
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vKCtdNBOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If anyone is interested in a brand new unopened outdoor cover for the RT, I have one for sale. I thought my RTS came with a travel cover, so I bought this before the bike arrived. It came with the full cover that covers everything but wheels. For details:

wneglia@sc.rr.com

ThreeWheels
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Just another option.

Dowco Guardian Ultralite XL.

I salvaged this from my Honda ST1100, but a new one would cost about $50

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/63/1453/ITEM/Dowco-Guardian-Ultralite-Plus-Cover.aspx

Here is a shot of the cover in its storage case compared to the Spyder outdoor cover, and another shot of the cover over my RT. I had to make one small modification, a hole in the back to make room for the antenna.
If I get around to it, I'll sew in a grommet so the antenna hole doesn't grow.

phillipbj
08-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Scotty I want to thank you for this info. Great narrative and photos of the covers. No one could have done better.
I ordered the travel cover today through my dealer. They are now $125. Is that what they were when you posted this?
It did not come up in my search for RT covers. I guess the ‘travel’ has to be in there. I started another thread to clog up the forum. Sorry. It did get me this info however...

phillipbj
08-16-2010, 04:56 PM
By the way Scotty, what is that white stuff in the photos? Whatever it is we don’t have it in south GA. Maybe the waves on the beach...:ohyea:

SpyderFun
08-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Does the "New and Improved" travel cover come with its own carrying case/pouch? The dealer delivered my bike with the large travel cover already on the bike with no case/pouch in sight. When I bought my RT-S I too thought I needed a full cover and opted to buy one. Now I have 2 "full covers", one is the new travel (3/4 cover) and the other is the complete cover. :cus:

The smaller travel cover seemed a better idea for keeping your bike dry and cooler while minimizing space need for transportation. Does anyone have an idea as to why BRP felt the need to "fix" something that was not broke?

NancysToy
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Does the "New and Improved" travel cover come with its own carrying case/pouch? The dealer delivered my bike with the large travel cover already on the bike with no case/pouch in sight. When I bought my RT-S I too thought I needed a full cover and opted to buy one. Now I have 2 "full covers", one is the new travel (3/4 cover) and the other is the complete cover. :cus:

The smaller travel cover seemed a better idea for keeping your bike dry and cooler while minimizing space need for transportation. Does anyone have an idea as to why BRP felt the need to "fix" something that was not broke?
The RTS was advertised to come with a Travel Cover, but they substituted the larger, more expensive, Outdoor Cover instead. This is a completely different cover...not "new & improved". It is not listed in the accessories catalog, but can be purchased, as can the original Travel Cover. Both covers have their own bags, as shown in my photos. If you did not receive one with your RTS, the dealer owes you a cover bag. They cannot be purchased separately, so they will have to purchase you an entire cover. The RS covers come without bags...or at least our Outdoor Cover did in 2008.

glynnk
08-16-2010, 09:53 PM
I traded the big cover that came with the RT back to the dealer for the small travel cover. I would have never used the big cover so I didn't care about the difference in price. BTW thanks Scotty for the heads up on installing them!

Dwight

Did the same thing....

Glynnk

Oldmanzues
08-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank You, Three wheels. I have looking for a cover and saw your information. I had/have a ST1100 and it fits just right, Covers what I want for concelment and shade. I had posted elsewhere that the soft inserts for the ST fit the side bags on the RT.

OldManZues

GaryTheBadger
08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know if this BRP-made RT travel cover would fit the RS with a rear passenger bag? I like this one better than the Nelson Rigg cover.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=676&pictureid=8107

clueless
08-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if this BRP-made RT travel cover would fit the RS with a rear passenger bag? I like this one better than the Nelson Rigg cover.

it fits perfectly in the bottom under the shelf plus I have room for raingear on top of that barely then the cover shelf and the rear top bag.

Yol Bolsun
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Just another option.

Dowco Guardian Ultralite XL.

I salvaged this from my Honda ST1100, but a new one would cost about $50

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/63/1453/ITEM/Dowco-Guardian-Ultralite-Plus-Cover.aspx

Here is a shot of the cover in its storage case compared to the Spyder outdoor cover, and another shot of the cover over my RT. I had to make one small modification, a hole in the back to make room for the antenna.
If I get around to it, I'll sew in a grommet so the antenna hole doesn't grow.

Glad I found this. I like it. Thank you.

bluestratos
01-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes Nancy's Toy, the third cover down is the one I got but so far I cannot make it fit as it is shown here. I copied the photos so I can take them out to the bike to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help,

Randy

NancysToy
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes Nancy's Toy, the third cover down is the one I got but so far I cannot make it fit as it is shown here. I copied the photos so I can take them out to the bike to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help,

Randy
Be sure to put it on in the right order. The Outdoor Cover needs to have the rear flap unzipped first, then you put the front in place, cover the rest, and zip up the flap last thing. If you received the instructions with the cover, they explain the proper sequence.

kinggeek
01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
....BRP switched the cover included with the RT-S....

Forgive my ignorance but I am just trying to determine if I did not get something I was supposed to when I bought my 2011 RT-S a year ago that I later ended up buying becuause I needed it. Is the RT-S SUPPOSED to come with ANY kind of cover? I thought only the RT Limited came with a cover? So says the BRP site so I never even thought of it until I saw this post today.

Bob Denman
01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Prior to the introduction of the Limiteds, the RTS models came with a cover...

kinggeek
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Prior to the introduction of the Limiteds, the RTS models came with a cover...

That explains it - Thanks Bob.

Bob Denman
01-30-2012, 02:49 PM
You're more than welcome! :thumbup:
When I bought my A&C, I wanted an RTS... Color considerations limited my choice! :gaah: But I did spend a fair amount of time discussing the diferences between the 2 models with the salesman...

bluestratos
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Unfortuneatley the seller niether sent the instructions or the storage pouch. Get what you pay for, lol....

I lowered the windshield to give a bit more slack but I will have to keep trying.

Thanks

Bob Denman
01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Scotty,
Again... Thanks again for all of this very useful information! :clap: :firstplace:
You always show up at the table with a full platter to serve to the rest of us! :thumbup:
And now I know that I've got the Outdoor cover...