PDA

View Full Version : NMN risers

wyliec
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Quick question. When adjusting the risers (back for example) do you just eyeball it?

RoadHammer
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Thats how i did it. Looks perfect to me:doorag:

Some Guy
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
I eye-balled it. Some weeks later I actually measured it and I was about 1 degree off...but I never noticed it.

jeuchler
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Quick question. When adjusting the risers (back for example) do you just eyeball it?

Yes.

I have all sorts of measuring devices at my disposal, working in a technical school.

I have apps on my iPhone that turn it into a rule and a compass and a plumb bob.

Nope.

I eyballed it, got on and off the Spyder fifty times, reaching my hands out to the anticipated new bar positions and readjusted.

I eyeballed it.

(Maybe one of my arms is longer than the other, but my bars with the new risers are, like RoadHammers, perfect.) :thumbup:

LDFIREWORKS
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
is the way to go :2thumbs::ohyea:

NancysToy
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I used an angle gauge to make sure they were both the same.

boborgera
03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
When they feel comfortable there right, You can measure till the cows come home. Just eyeball them and forget about them!

bone crusher
03-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I had mine installed at my dealership...I never realized that adjusting the angle was as simple as loosening the two allen bolts on the underside...spyderbyter explained this to me.

As per the recommendation, I loosened, adjusted a little for more comfort, and then added a little of the blue sticky stuff and tightened...

I haven't ridden since, but if it's not right, I will fiddle with it a little more.

Firefly
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM

:agree:

I used one similar to the one that ESI sells on his site:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/SpyderHandlebarRiserKits.html

GA-SPYDER
03-04-2010, 09:19 AM
+1, Scotty. Used an angle gauge and a level on the two sets that I have installed.:thumbup:

bone crusher
03-04-2010, 04:25 PM
:agree:

I used one similar to the one that ESI sells on his site:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/SpyderHandlebarRiserKits.html

Not sure why you need that...I'd think you rotate them for riding comfort. Ideally, you want them towards you a little as this will keep you more upright...if they stay away from you, you're more apt to lean forward and roll the back, thus creating some nice disc compression...argh!

I played with mine a bit...but I'll likely rotate them again once I get out and try out the new position...never realized how easy it was to rotate them...

Firefly
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Not sure why you need that...I'd think you rotate them for riding comfort. Ideally, you want them towards you a little as this will keep you more upright...if they stay away from you, you're more apt to lean forward and roll the back, thus creating some nice disc compression...argh!

I played with mine a bit...but I'll likely rotate them again once I get out and try out the new position...never realized how easy it was to rotate them...

I have mine rotated towards me-- can't recall how much-- but a fair amount--- went for what felt right.

As far as the gauge--- I wanted them to be equal (anal retentive with a side order of add and ocd---- :roflblack:).

wyliec
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I had mine installed at my dealership...I never realized that adjusting the angle was as simple as loosening the two allen bolts on the underside...spyderbyter explained this to me.

As per the recommendation, I loosened, adjusted a little for more comfort, and then added a little of the blue sticky stuff and tightened...

I haven't ridden since, but if it's not right, I will fiddle with it a little more.

Are you saying the only allen bolts that need to be loosened are the ones in the center and not the two outer ones?

Tom in NM
03-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Since most people have a difference in their right and left arm lengths, go for what both looks right, but more importantly, what "feels" right.

I found that the gap line of the brackets made it easy to get them into same angle ballpark. Mine come back quite a ways - I can sight down the front plane of the risers from my standard sitting position and they both look equally matched.

Tom