PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Visit

sabunim5
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
My wife and I are planning on spending about a week in Arkansas at the beginning of October. I am asking advice from those with local knowledge on two things. 1) Roads you would recommend and 2) Good locations to acquire crystal. Thanks in advance for any advice. We are coming from and returning to Pensacola, Florida, so the southeast corner of the state is our nearest entry and exit as the crow flies.

hollylmh
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Howdy, again. If you can make it that far, Eureka Springs in NW AR is worth the trip [lots of shops] and the roads are worth the ride! Of course from Eureka, Branson is not far! Hwy 23 out of Eureka is great. 16 which comes out of Fayetteville crosses 23 and goes all the way to Heber Springs. It crosses Greer's Ferry Lake and gets close to Fairfield Bay Resort [on the north bank of the lake, which you might find interesting and pretty good place to overnight]. You did not say if you were camping or motel-ling, but there is nice gov campground and lots of rental condo/motel/cabins at FF Bay. Most of the NW AR roads are a good ride. I've ridden AR 7 from LA to MO and it is good. Just out of Arkadelphia is De Gray Lake which has a great State Lodge and campgrounds. Not a very long ride north from there is Petit Jean SP and Mather lodge. This is pretty neat because it is located right at the top of the mountain. 7 also goes through Hot Springs which is a rather interesting place. Hope this helps.

Laban
Yellow 444
850-623-0072

GaryTheBadger
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Will you be going as far as Northwest Arkansas? I can make riding suggestions and set up an activity with the other Spyder owners.

Also, do you mean crystal as in minerals, or as in glassware?

D&J's#2
03-11-2010, 09:43 PM
If you are wanting to dig for crystal I would suggest the Coleman Mines just north of Hot Springs (about 15mi.) on scenic Hwy 7.:2thumbs: It's best to have a vehicle larger than the Spyder though, in order to haul home your findings. 15$ and you take whatever you dig, pick-up, etc., for the day. We've found quite a bit of quartz there among other things. :yikes:

You WILL get a large deposit of red clay all over you, especially if it has rained recently.:roflblack:

If you have any questions just ask, I'll do my best. They may have a website you could goggle, but I'm not sure.welcome

sabunim5
03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Will you be going as far as Northwest Arkansas? I can make riding suggestions and set up an activity with the other Spyder owners.

Also, do you mean crystal as in minerals, or as in glassware?

We will travel to Arkansas and return to FL on the weekends. We will have the entire week in the state so we will go to any and all portions that offer good roads and/or fun things to see and do. We just want to be sure and get some mineral type crystal while we are in the region. We will be pulling a trailer, so we have plenty of room. Over the years, my wife and I have found that there is almost nothing that can't be mailed home. You don't have to carry everything with you. We mostly motel lately since we got tired of rude noisy people in a lot of the campgrounds. After school is back in session camper numbers fall and we are more likely to camp some. Our camping gear is fine except that we no longer have a tent. Thanks to all for the replies so far. :2thumbs: