PDA

View Full Version : Riding Positions

MrKSpyder
03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I sat on a RT and the riding position was very upright...it did feel comfortable. The RS position leans forward quite a bit. My question is would my riding position be more comfortable (on a RS) if I installed handlebar risers? How much more upright would I sit? Thanks.

bmwrider1015
03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
You put risers on the RS and wow what a difference..
The higher the better.
The 4" risers I put on really improved the way it feels in steering.
You do not reach out as far when making 90 degree turns.
I want to not only bring them up but want to weld a peice
to bring them closer and get more comfort this summer.
At least get a 4" riser for more comfort.

MrKSpyder
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info...is this something the dealer can install prior to me taking delivery?

moroccomole2004
03-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Gawd yes the 4" risers make a difference! Before installing them my hands were going numb where my palms contacted the bar. After installing them no more numbness! Great investment in installing the ESI 4" risers! Do it! You will not be disappointed.

Mole :spyder2:

MarkLawson
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info...is this something the dealer can install prior to me taking delivery?

Because the 4" risers are not BRP, you would have to speak with your dealer directly to find out if they would do the installation. There are at least a couple of different types that require cutting the stock handlebars on each side. I did it myself on my wife's Spyder & we love the improved position.

Keep in mind, by cutting your handlebars, you risk any associated warranties by BRP. I have never heard of this being a problem tho'...

Amanda B
03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I sat on a RT and the riding position was very upright...it did feel comfortable. The RS position leans forward quite a bit. My question is would my riding position be more comfortable (on a RS) if I installed handlebar risers? How much more upright would I sit? Thanks.

Some like the Heli bars, they come back some and up hopefully someone that has those will comment on them. Kewl metal has some new risers out that are extremely adjustable that you may want to check out as well.

BillGargan
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I have -- and absolutely love -- the HeliBar riser.

I do not like the erector-set look of the KewlMetal risers -- but, their new one appears to offer the greatest range of settings of any made for the Spyder so far. I think it will prove to be the one most folks like the most because of the range of settings.

Some like the Heli bars, they come back some and up hopefully someone that has those will comment on them. Kewl metal has some new risers out that are extremely adjustable that you may want to check out as well.

DynamoBT
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
FWIW, I also have the Heli bar riser and love it. I like that the bars remain stock. No cutting and piecing.

My big issue is trying to find a tank bag that will fit in the smaller space created by bringing the whole set up closer to the ryder. I may look for some sort of ditty bag to attach to the bars themselves. I don't want or need much in the way of storage up there. Just a little something for change and such.

jeuchler
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Boy, this is one of the few things that I've never heard spyder ryders disagree on.

I put 3" risers on because I didn't want to go too high and have them look like "ape hangars."

Evan just laughed at me when I told him this. He recommended the 4" risers. I should have listened.

Anyhow the risers made a huge positive difference. I am 6'2" and I wish I had them even that 1" higher.

In answer to your second question about posture, perhaps this photo from the ISCI website (http://www.esicycleproducts.com/) will help a bit:

http://www.esicycleproducts.com/4%20inch%20risers%20SE5%202%20(Small).jpg

LDFIREWORKS
03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
nmn risers are 4 inch they mack a big change way better :2thumbs:

Questions
03-04-2010, 01:07 AM
great thread.... 4" riser seems to help the posture making it a more comfortable ride:agree:

spyder_RT
03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Can-Am Spyder Handlebars 7" pull back plus the Kewlmetal center console this way you can do a lot more addition's latter. They look great and put you in a upright riding position. Take a look at them before say 7" that's to much.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/index.php?cPath=5_39