PDA

View Full Version : Wiggly ride

ThreeWheels
03-02-2010, 06:41 PM
I have the front suspension set to 4. I had the rear suspension jacked up (I think, not sure where the settings are yet)
Took it for a ride tonight. The second time I've been on it since Saturday.
It seems wiggly on the highway, and even more so around town.
Not as bad, but sort of like I was going over a steel grate bridge.
Any thoughts on how I can tighten things up? I just picked it up from the dealer Saturday, 4 days ago, so I assume the tire pressures are set properly, but I'm not sure yet what to look for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave01
03-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Check your tire pressure. I personally run 20 up front and 30 in the rear, which seems to help. Wind will really play heck with these due to the large front windscreen too.

spyryder
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Could be you aren't quite used to it yet. How many miles have you put on so far? The ride is way different from a 2 wheeler. Try relaxing your grip a bit.;)

ThreeWheels
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Could be you aren't quite used to it yet. How many miles have you put on so far? The ride is way different from a 2 wheeler. Try relaxing your grip a bit.;)

Not a whole lot of miles yet, about 75. I'm not hanging on the bars with a death grip. In fact, I was quite loose.
I like the idea of changing the tire pressure. From the feel, I think that's it. I"ll have to change the pressure befoe my next ride, probably going to Bear Mountain on Saturday.

Checked the front tires tonight. 14 PSI. Looks like I'll be trying 20 PSI before this weekend.

SpyderByter
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
welcome

You should feel a difference running the fronts at 20. I run mine at that too. If that does not do it, you may want to check your toe in/out. There are threads on how to do that if you want to. Mine was toed out too much and my tires were wearing on the inside, but it was tracking fine. I adjusted the toe in, and over adjusted, then it felt really "wiggly" I set it at 1/16 toed in and the shimmy went away.

Then again, it may just be because it is a three wheeler. The Spyder does tend to ride alot different than a 2 wheeler or an auto.

Where in CT are you? Maybe we can meet up sometime and compare notes.

ThreeWheels
03-03-2010, 08:47 PM
welcome

You should feel a difference running the fronts at 20. I run mine at that too. If that does not do it, you may want to check your toe in/out. There are threads on how to do that if you want to. Mine was toed out too much and my tires were wearing on the inside, but it was tracking fine. I adjusted the toe in, and over adjusted, then it felt really "wiggly" I set it at 1/16 toed in and the shimmy went away.

Then again, it may just be because it is a three wheeler. The Spyder does tend to ride alot different than a 2 wheeler or an auto.

Where in CT are you? Maybe we can meet up sometime and compare notes.

I live in Orange. I'll be out riding this weekend, trying to get the suspension dialed in. I'm planning a trip to the Dragon in about 6 weeks so I need to get a move on.

ThreeWheels
03-06-2010, 10:04 PM
20 PSI in each of the front tires and the shocks set to the 5th (maximum) preload. I increased the rear air pressure to the maximum

Makes a big difference. Much better ride.

Of course I had my wife with me today. That's another 11X pounds to carry, but I was much more satisfied with the ride.

I'll have to try it again tomorrow by myself to see if these settings are adequate.

SpyderByter
03-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Good to hear that it feels better. You will feel the effects of an uneven road on the Spyder moreso than on a two wheeler. Much more rubber on the road and spread over a large area.

Keep your eyes on the front tire wear. As far as another 11x pounds to carry with your wife on the back, your getting off easy. With my girl, thats just her pocketbook! :helpsmilie:

krb1945
03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
set front 5 and rear 4. Also consider installing a rear shock dust cover to keep the the dirt off that polished shock rod. /Ken

ThreeWheels
03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Took it out for another spin today. This time Solo.
Much better feel to the Spyder. I'm not sure if I really improved the ride or if I'm just getting used to it.
Either way it's all good.