PDA

View Full Version : RT-622 Trailer Question for Dave01

MarkLawson
03-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Dave01,

I recently installed the trailer hitch & trailer wiring harness on my RT (my RT-622 trailer has not yet been delivered). At the plug there is a cap that screws in place that covers the connection when not pulling the trailer. When I open that cap, there is a red O-Ring that normally falls out and gets covered in whatever dirt it falls into when it hits the ground. The connection also has a lot of grease (dielectric, I assume). What happens to this cap when the trailer is attached? Does is just hang down and collect all the dirt that is kicked up, not to mention losing the red O-Ring, or does that cap attach to something that provides protection & keeps it clean?

Thanks!

dave01
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I put a little silicone to hold the o-ring in place. After the last trip, I am going to remove the cap and put it in the rear trunk since it did get a lot of dirt inside it. Dont forget to cover the plug on the trailer if you store it outside. Seems like BRP would have had a cap for it too.

MarkLawson
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your response. I was afraid there wouldn't be provisions for the cap when not in use. I guess one could just leave the trailer attached, but that would seem rather extreme as a solution.

Your idea about removing the cap & putting it in the trailer might work, but I would be concerned about how secure the cap would be while in place since you would no longer have that slight clockwise pressure to it by the zip-tie that holds it now. If the cap were to back off in a counter-clockwise direction, it would likely fall off & might be lost.

How would you address that issue?

dave01
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your response. I was afraid there wouldn't be provisions for the cap when not in use. I guess one could just leave the trailer attached, but that would seem rather extreme as a solution.

How would you address that issue?
I am going to attach a small piece of the chain, like what is used on mini-blinds or key chains to each part, the cover and the spyder and I can attach them together when I am not using the trailer, kind of like the chain on these.
http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/23/82/f903_2.JPG

MarkLawson
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
That'll work.

Thanks!

tea6638
03-02-2010, 02:07 PM
My plug cover is attached by zip tie from the dealer. It's has a wide base that is attached to one screw on the under side near the trailer receptacle. Very convenient.

MarkLawson
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
My plug cover is attached by zip tie from the dealer. It's has a wide base that is attached to one screw on the under side near the trailer receptacle. Very convenient.

Right, and that is how mine is. The problem is what do you do with that cap while towing? I just hangs down and collects all the dirt and junk that kicks up from the road. The grease in it will make it especially effective at doing that. There's also the red O-Ring that'll fall out.