PDA

View Full Version : Drive Belt Needs Adjustment!!

groundeffect
03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Hey guys. I've been doing some cleaning on my Spyder, getting a close at the machine, washing it, tightening up a nut or bolt here and there, and noticing things that require other attention, like my drive belt.

Tonight, as I gear up for my 1,000km maintenance checks, I noticed the Drive Belt is out of space and requires adjustment (according to page 93-94 in the owner's manual). It was in spec when I purchased it, but (I'm guessing) normal wear and riding the past 1,000km the belt has worn slightly and requirements attention, re-tension and adjustment on the sprocket.

Here is the current condition of my Drive Belt, after 1,000km (600miles):

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=8056

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=8055

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=8054

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=8053

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=8052

The MIN spec is 1mm from the sprocket flange (on the inside, nearest the rear tire). I'm reading about 6.5mm from the sprocket, however, it is just now starting to hang out over the OUTSIDE of the sprocket. According to the manual, Drive Belt Alignment
The gap between the belt and the sprocket internal flange should be a minimum of 1 mm (1/32 in). If belt goes beyond the outside edge of sprocket, have the belt properly aligned by an authorized Can-Am road- ster dealer as soon as possible.

Questions:
1) Is this normal?

2) I'm having it adjusted this week by my dealer

3) My dealer is about a 10 minute drive away. Do you think the belt will be ok for 10mins up the road?

Comments??? / Suggestions???

thank you, in advance.
Cheers guys!

Smylinacha
03-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm no gearhead but no, that doesn't look normal to me.

Lamonster
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974

boborgera
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
I adjusted my belt 2 1/2 mm off the flange. Any closer my belt would make a humming noise. If i back the bike up the belt will walk off to 4 mm. Yours looks way off, but it should be good for an easy 10 min. ride. Any way your dealer should take care of it very easy.

BeRight
03-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Lamonster (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=960) posted DIY alignment adjustment- easy to do - at least it was for this caveman.

groundeffect
03-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here is what I got:

While washing the rear wheel rim last night, I rotated the rear wheel in reverse by hand while it was on a lift.

This morning I go into the garage, Spyder still on the lift, I rotated the rear wheel forward as if riding. After about 5 or so revolutions of the wheel the belt had 'walked' back in towards the sprocket flange! The difference was 3.5mm-4mm.

Now, it is sitting on the sprocket in spec., since it is not hanging out over the edge and it above the MIN of 1mm from the sprocket flange. In fact it is sitting at about 3mm from it now.

From what I can gather from these posts, this is normal activity. I have not yet checked the tension, but will ask the dealer tech to record the current tension setting and readjust tension to within spec.

One last question: Is there danger of the belt actually coming off, sliding of the rear sprocket, for example, by going in reverse? Thoughts/Comments on that?

Thanks everyone!

Firefly
03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here is what I got:

While washing the rear wheel rim last night, I rotated the rear wheel in reverse by hand while it was on a lift.

This morning I go into the garage, Spyder still on the lift, I rotated the rear wheel forward as if riding. After about 5 or so revolutions of the wheel the belt had 'walked' back in towards the sprocket flange! The difference was 3.5mm-4mm.

Now, it is sitting on the sprocket in spec., since it is not hanging out over the edge and it above the MIN of 1mm from the sprocket flange. In fact it is sitting at about 3mm from it now.

From what I can gather from these posts, this is normal activity. I have not yet checked the tension, but will ask the dealer tech to record the current tension setting and readjust tension to within spec.

One last question: Is there danger of the belt actually coming off, sliding of the rear sprocket, for example, by going in reverse? Thoughts/Comments on that?

Thanks everyone!

Sounds perfectly normal to me. No worries about belt coming off.

sabunim5
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

There has never been a post of that happening. nojoke

groundeffect
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Thanks everyone!

There has never been a post of that happening. nojoke[/QUOTE]

:thumbup:

Sounds perfectly normal to me. No worries about belt coming off. Thanks for the note! :thumbup:

GaryTheBadger
03-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Groundeffect - you posted beautiful, well-lit photos with clear text and arrows. As you get more familiar with your Spyder, I hope you contribute more to the ShopTalk forum, it will benefit us all. (Are you in the graphic arts business?)

groundeffect
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Groundeffect - you posted beautiful, well-lit photos with clear text and arrows. As you get more familiar with your Spyder, I hope you contribute more to the ShopTalk forum, it will benefit us all. (Are you in the graphic arts business?)

Hi Gary, thank you for your kind comments. I have indeed shot production photography and video in the past. I'm not as proficient with motorcycle mechanics as I am with photography. However, I'm certainly learning more about my Spyder's mechanics as a result of being part of this forum, and doing my own maintenance and checks, myself. I do have some non-spyder motorcycle experience and I continue to try and build on that knowledge.

I hope to help when I can and try and return the favor from the experienced contributes of this forum.

Thanks again, and have a great day. :)
Cheers

NancysToy
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
The flange is on the opposite side of the front sprocket, and should keep the belt in place...unless the belt was very, very loose. Wandering in reverse is a common side-effect. That is why the book says to move the wheel in a forward motion only. Also, do do check it until it has rolled straight several feet after a tight turn. It never stays put, exactly. Like checking the oil, belt alignment should be checked under repeatable, controlled conditions.

groundeffect
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
The flange is on the opposite side of the front sprocket, and should keep the belt in place...unless the belt was very, very loose. Wandering in reverse is a common side-effect. That is why the book says to move the wheel in a forward motion only. Also, do do check it until it has rolled straight several feet after a tight turn. It never stays put, exactly. Like checking the oil, belt alignment should be checked under repeatable, controlled conditions.

Thanks for the advice, Scotty, good to know! AH YES, I see, the flange on the front sprocket, on the opposite side as the rear sprocket flange. Now I get it ;). Thanks for that note.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on my belt from time to time, as all else. I've just placed an order from NAPA to get a belt tension gauge, also. Should be a couple weeks before I see it, but since the belt will be adjusted tomorrow by the dealer, I can afford to wait.

NOTE: The part number for the belt tension gauge for Canadian Napa is KR2 only.
Thanks.

NancysToy
03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
As I recall, the factory belt tension is quite tight at delivery, supposedly to allow for intial belt stretch, and the 1,000 km (625 mi) service adjustment usually requires it to be loosened (not always). To me, and some others, it is still too tight at the BRP spec. If it is noisy, you may want to adjust it further, usually looser. At any rate, the NAPA Kricket gauge does not read the same as the BRP sonic gauge, so it is a good idea to take a base measurement as soon as possible after the dealer adjustment, just to get a starting point for future adjustments.

groundeffect
03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
As I recall, the factory belt tension is quite tight at delivery, supposedly to allow for intial belt stretch, and the 1,000 km (625 mi) service adjustment usually requires it to be loosened (not always). To me, and some others, it is still too tight at the BRP spec. If it is noisy, you may want to adjust it further, usually looser. At any rate, the NAPA Kricket gauge does not read the same as the BRP sonic gauge, so it is a good idea to take a base measurement as soon as possible after the dealer adjustment, just to get a starting point for future adjustments.

Is the tool from NAPA accurate?

What lb do you guys typically read from it and set the belt on using it?

thanks

SpyderByter
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Is the tool from NAPA accurate?

What lb do you guys typically read from it and set the belt on using it?

thanks

Check this thread. Lots of good info, on measuring both hot and cold. Lamont recommended about 250, thats where I have been running it and have had no problems after 15,000 miles.

groundeffect
03-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Check this thread. Lots of good info, on measuring both hot and cold. Lamont recommended about 250, thats where I have been running it and have had no problems after 15,000 miles.

thanks for the note. When the tool comes in I'll check and try to adjust to get near 250lb if it's way off.

This thread, I'm guessing: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974&highlight=alignment

Thanks!

SpyderByter
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
thanks for the note. When the tool comes in I'll check and try to adjust to get near 250lb if it's way off.

This thread, I'm guessing: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5974&highlight=alignment

Thanks!

Gees, forgot to paste it in. I was refering to this one:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5162&highlight=kricket