PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle?

RJB
03-01-2010, 09:13 AM
I fit right in the Can-Am market of buyers who were too concerned about riding a motorcycle but convinced the Spyder is considerably safer and took the plunge. Love the Sypder, but now thinking about adding a 2 wheeler. Is there a direct correlation between the increased risk of a bike and fun of "carving" turns? Have you guys with bike experience bought a Spyder because of the safety, just for something different, or because you think the Sypder is more fun?

Thanks!
RJB

dryheat
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I fit right in the Can-Am market of buyers who were too concerned about riding a motorcycle but convinced the Spyder is considerably safer and took the plunge. Love the Sypder, but now thinking about adding a 2 wheeler. Is there a direct correlation between the increased risk of a bike and fun of "carving" turns? Have you guys with bike experience bought a Spyder because of the safety, just for something different, or because you think the Sypder is more fun?

Thanks!
RJB
"Yes" on all counts. Spyder is safer, but still not 100% safe (ATGATT); "Carving" turns is fun, but adds risk; Spyder is fun in a different way; and yes I also have a 2-wheeler (R1150GS). :2thumbs:

retired1
03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I still own a sportster, America and a legend. Since I bought my first :spyder2:, the other 3 probably haven't been ridden 50 miles. Besides "Feeling like a rock star", I love not having to worry about loose gravel, slow turns, getting in and out of parking spaces etc. At 67 years old it just gives me more confidence and enjoyment on my rides.

j45p3r
Safety of the Spyder wasn't why I bought it, it is just more my style. I'm a huge fan of snowmobiling and the Spyder just seemed like a natural replacement for snowmobiling in the summer. I have little (almost none) motorcycle experience, just not something I'm interested in.

MarkLawson
I have ridden for over 20 years. I bought our first Spyder for my wife, who had recently gotten her license & wanted her own (we also have a GL1800A Goldwing). I got her a 2008 Honda Silverwing scooter, but she wasn't comfortable on two wheels when she was in the front seat. After getting her a the Spyder I realized it was a hoot to ride. I told her that I was going to get one within a couple of years. Then the RT was introduced & I ordered one & now have it.

Do I like it more than the Goldwing? It's like asking a father which of his children he loves more. It is new, so it really has my attention now, but I've still got my Goldwing & have no plan to sell it. in fact, rode it two days ago. I do like leaning, so I'll keep the two-wheeler.

moroccomole2004
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Well you know it is funny as I was thinking about this kind of discussion over the weekend. I at times get razzed about buying a "three" wheeler. I get asked "why did you buy that?" And I sarcastically respond "Well you were not available at the time.." But seriously for me I first seen a :spyder2: one day driving home on the highway and I too thought "Wow that is sharp!" Like others I did not have an extensive background on 2-wheels so I was apprehensive of my skills. I do however ride ATVs but was unhappy as I could not ride often. So the :spyder2: was a perfect fit for me to enjoy the open rode, even while driving to and from work. And that is 60+ miles one way. I have found two types of people I meet when riding the :spyder2:, those who say it is cool and those who are stuck-up that 2-wheels are the only way to ride. I say to his, his own. If that makes you happy, so be it! For me the :spyder2: has been a wonderful machine to work-on and more so to ride.

Ride hard, ride happy!

Mole :doorag:

irish2themax
03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
In my case, a 2-wheeler was no longer an option. After 3 back surgeries and surgery on both knees, I can't handle the weight of a 2-wheeler. The :spyder:has me ON THE ROAD...good enough for me!!

draboo
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I rode motorcycles for many years before we bought the Spyder. After a year or so of riding the Spyder, I bought a Honda ST1100 for myself and my much better half navigates the Spyder now. I still enjoy riding it, yesterday I was out tooling around and it is fun. But I still missed the thrill of 2 wheels.

Although... that Pearl White unit sure is appealing. I see it every time I stop at the dealer. Hmm..:D

draboo
03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I still own a sportster, America and a legend. Since I bought my first :spyder2:, the other 3 probably haven't been ridden 50 miles. Besides "Feeling like a rock star", I love not having to worry about loose gravel, slow turns, getting in and out of parking spaces etc. At 67 years old it just gives me more confidence and enjoyment on my rides.

:hun:I gotta ask: What is an "America" and a "legend"? Are these motorcycles, separate from the Sportster? You mentioned "the other three"...:hun:

Roaddog2
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
:hun:I gotta ask: What is an "America" and a "legend"? Are these motorcycles, separate from the Sportster? You mentioned "the other three"...:hun:Captain America I think Easy Rider :2thumbs:

ataDude
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I gotta ask: What is an "America" and a "legend"? Are these motorcycles, separate from the Sportster? You mentioned "the other three"...

Triumph America.

jgwoods
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
If I had the money for both I would still have a 2 wheeler. I rode on 2 wheels since 1964.
I definitely like the longer season I get with the Can Am- 3 wheels is far safer on sandy roads, icy roads, and other such slippery stuff as we find around here especially in the Spring. Having 3 wheel stability and having bought heated gear I am good to go almost all year around. March in particular has always been a challenge for 2 wheel riders around here- MA- as ice is often on the roads in the early morning, and sand is everywhere until they clean the roads in May. Chances of s spill are quite high for a 2 wheel rider until then.

After that, when the weather is warm and the roads clean, I would rather ride on 2 wheels. I ride pretty carefully but still enjoy carving a good corner on 2 wheels. I think motorcycles handle better, and actually require elss effort in the corners at same speeds.

Slow speed maneuvers are way better on the 3 wheeler, especially for an old guy with cranky knees. I got to the point where I almost dropped my last 2 motorcycles with my wife onthe back, coming to a halt and my foot slipping on sand on the roadside- no such problems now! And reverse! fabulous.

ZRCAT600
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Safety of the Spyder wasn't why I bought it, it is just more my style. I'm a huge fan of snowmobiling and the Spyder just seemed like a natural replacement for snowmobiling in the summer. I have little (almost none) motorcycle experience, just not something I'm interested in.

I agree. I saw the Spyder a few years ago in a magazine and thought that's a snowmobile for summer! No more waiting for snow. My only concern was the cost. I have a duel sport for playing around but thought the Spyder was a bit safer. I do have kids to think about and they love taking rides to the gas station on the Spyder. The wife loves the Spyder also! That's always a good thing.:thumbup:

NancysToy
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Well, I have been riding for over 50 years, we own 24 motorcycles and only two of them are Spyders, so I guess we know the ins and outs of both. The first Spyder was purchased for my wife. She was not comfortable on two wheels, even on her Trail 90, and wanted to hit the road with me. Safety for a novice rider was a big factor in her purchase. Frankly, I was thrilled, since riding two-up had become a chore for me, and I was no longer comfortable with it, under certain circumstances. Riding her Spyder, especially in marginal conditions, felt so safe and relaxing that I fell in love. I still like to lean my BMWs, Triumph, and Hondas, but the Spyders thrill me equally.

After a critical illness last year, and a knee replacement (third knee surgery), I had a hard time with the bikes, especially the heftier ones. Graveled corners and slick roads began to scare me, and I realized that I no longer had what it took to hold up the large touring bike I always wanted, or to do low speed maneuvers two-up. Thus the RT-S came into my life.

Will I give up my BMW Sport Tourer or my vintage bikes? No way! When the mood strikes me to lean, I'll lean. For two-up riding, towing a trailer, or just sitting back to enjoy the ride, it's sure to be the Spyder. I don't feel the bikes are unsafe for a well seasoned rider, but you can't relax as much when you ride them, especially carving corners and such. Too many hazards to be aware of and compensate for.

Sarge707
03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I haven,t riden a cycle in 40 years but raced jet skies several years so the Spyder fits like a glove for me!:D
Since I bought my Spyder in Oct 09 this summer is going to be GREAT.

Open the garage each afternoon and pick one of my two 60 Plus MPH jet skies or pick the Spyder:dontknow:.
Tough job BUT someones gotta do it?:hun:

Tom in NM
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
. . . . the Spyder is a very different riding experience from 2 wheels.

I've been riding since the mid-60s. The Spyder (safety/handling-wise) gives me about 10% more attention and awareness to give the ride and the place I am. That provides a whole new perspective, for me, on riding. It is not just the bike's track, maneuvering, and riding conditions.

I go more places and enjoy them more - to the exclusion of taking my two-wheeler.

What I do miss is the off road capability, my other bike is a BMW F650GS, which goes just about "anywhere" I could walk or hike. I miss the 2 wheel track width - the wide wheelbase does limit some options, but that is about it. The low clearance is also a limitation. The Spyder does best on roads.

But, that ability to better experience the place I am and the whole riding event, makes me pick the Spyder every time I ride. It is a much bigger experience on the Spyder.

Tom

retread
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
:hun:I gotta ask: What is an "America" and a "legend"? Are these motorcycles, separate from the Sportster? You mentioned "the other three"...:hun:
Triumph had a Legend model a few years back, 3 cylinder, can't remember the size.

john

mxz600
03-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I got the Spyder for added safety and the fun factor. I am a die hard snowmobiler and would get frustrated sometimes (a lot of times) over a lack of good riding conditions. The Spyder is just an extension of my snowmobile season and I love it. My wife enjoys riding on the Spyder with me better than the Harley. She feels better knowing we can't just tip over, even though she has never experienced road rash as I have. She has never been on the two wheeler since we got the Spyder. I was going to sell the Harley but now I am not so sure. I still enjoy riding it although I didn't put many miles on it last year.

RJB
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
The other reason I was asking is because I bought the bike for the wife & I to go out for day long rides, and it is the only 2-up bike she can handle which allows both of us to enjoy driving. Unexpectedly, even with the comfort seat, backrest and footpeg extensions I find that my legs are just not meant to sit on the back hour after hour. So I am considering a second bike, and the thought of a 2 wheel sport touring vs. a second Spyder has some appeal. Just concerned about the safety of a bike.

Thanks for your responses.
RJB

NancysToy
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
The other reason I was asking is because I bought the bike for the wife & I to go out for day long rides, and it is the only 2-up bike she can handle which allows both of us to enjoy driving. Unexpectedly, even with the comfort seat, backrest and footpeg extensions I find that my legs are just not meant to sit on the back hour after hour. So I am considering a second bike, and the thought of a 2 wheel sport touring vs. a second Spyder has some appeal. Just concerned about the safety of a bike.

Thanks for your responses.
RJB
A lot of the safety depends on your level of experience, the types of roads you have in your area (and their maintenance), and what kind of idiot drivers there are around where you travel. An inexperienced rider is much, much more likely to lay a bike down on a curve with sand or gravel, a slick manhole cover, or wet leaves. You have to be paying close attention every single second! Inexperienced riders have also not yet honed their ultra-defensive driving techniques...a necessity to survive on a bike. The Spyder allows one to relax a bit. It is more stable, and has the nanny to watch over you. It is also a bit more visible than a bike, but will not protect you against the real idiots out there. Having the widespread wheels and a bit more meat, and not being able to fall over readily, may save you from more serious injury in a crash. I love my bikes, but I could not sleep well if my wife had decided to ride one. There is a long learning curve before you become really, really proficient. If safety is your primary concern, and you are a relative novice, I'd stick to the Spyders.

grumpybob
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Started riding two wheelers in '68. Raced, draggs and dirt. Now have a balance problem, inner ear problem. Girlfriend wouldn't get on a two wheeler for anything so got spyder.

bone crusher
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I got the spyder because anyone who rides two wheelers has got to be insane...I mean, really nuts...I mean totally OCD and delirious...I mean, they must be Yankee fans...well, you guys/gals get what I mean! :D:D

Babymoose
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Although I have ridden for over 40 years, the bikes kept getting bigger & heavier. I have short legs and the last few years even just coming to a red light or stop sign and having my foot slip or go into too deep a divot was cause for concern. The 1F/2R trike conversions were too expensive for my liking, so the Spyda was a great fit for me. I love not having to put my feet down. I have just sold my Cruiser and have an RT-S SE5 due this month. I don't think I will ever ride 2 wheels again ( I mean never own one). We tour a lot on ours and the lighter bikes just don't cut it for us. Safety wasn't really a big consideration a cager can still do a lot of damage to a thousand pound bike & its passengers. Nice to feel that you aren't going to tip over due to avoidance maneuvers or such things. I remember at a shopping mall entrance I was too close behind a cage and it stopped short in front of me and we were spanning space between the ramp & the main road and when I hit the brakes and put my foot down - well the ground was a foot further away than I could reach and over we went, my daughter was on the back seat. Yup - love my Spyders. :ani29:

SpyderWolf
03-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought my riding days were way behind me as well. After having 7 knee surgeries, 5 on left and 2 on right, I cannot trust them to hold up a 2 wheeler at an intersection. Then, along came the Spyder and the rest is history. :D

boborgera
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
I never thought I'll get off of two wheels, but the last few years i was losing too many days of riding. What with all rain and snow/ice/sand and gravel. I almost went to a side car. When i went to look at one my dealer just got in a spyder 5/08 Bought it on the spot. To be honest i miss riding on two wheels, but i ride every day and that wasn't happening with my VTX.

pathfinderjoe
03-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm 62 years old and haven't ridden street bikes for years - just dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. Bought my spyder one year ago and have loved every minute and the 12,000 miles of riding. Last week I bought a Yamaha TW200 so I can get back to some trail and desert riding. As far as riding on the superslabs I'll sick with the :spyder2:. If you are new to riding I suggest you purchase the book Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Loaded with great info for both beginners and old timers.

bikeguy
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Although I have ridden for over 40 years, the bikes kept getting bigger & heavier. I have short legs and the last few years even just coming to a red light or stop sign and having my foot slip or go into too deep a divot was cause for concern. :ani29:

That's my story exactly. I still love riding my BMW - I just hate stopping it. I don't really have a problem if I'm riding solo but with my wife on behind me, it's a bear to hold up when I stop. So I have a Spyder RT ordered. I can't drop it.

Cotton

PCBeachBum
03-02-2010, 03:52 AM
I gave up riding 33 years ago, mainly because the ex wanted me to but, I knew with the knee and ankle problems I had holding up a two wheeler was to painful for me at stoplights. Ryding however never left my blood and for all those years, I was sitting on the bench. Than the Spyder came along and I decided to go to just look. Within an hour I was signing the papers for an '08 SM5 and have no regrets. I love the feeling I craved for all those idle years and due to some other medical problems, the Spyder is a perfect fit for me.:2thumbs:

Recently I let two biker friends take my Spyder for a ride and both came back with smiles on their faces. One owns a chopper and said, as I'm now getting up in age, holding the chopper up is becoming a chore and a Spyder just may be in my future. Let me know when your going to the dealership, I'll ride with you.