PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA COMPLAINTS

ABN350F
02-23-2010, 10:01 AM
All below you will find some statistics that I pulled from the NHTSA website regarding CAN AM SPYDER complaints. Please if you are experiencing mechanical issues with your SPYDER take the time to file a NHTSA complaint as this organization will act on our behalf as a consumer advocate!

NHTSA Complaints
2008 CAN AM SPYDER (24 Complaints)
18 Steering, 3 electronic stability, one suspension, one engine cooling, 1 fuel system

2009 CAN AM SPYDER (6 Complaints)
3 Steering, one powertrain, one unknown, one engine cooling

2010 CAN AM SPYDER (no Complaints)

Please follow the following link to NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Firefly
02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
All below you will find some statistics that I pulled from the NHTSA website regarding CAN AM SPYDER complaints. Please if you are experiencing mechanical issues with your SPYDER take the time to file a NHTSA complaint as this organization will act on our behalf as a consumer advocate!

NHTSA Complaints
18 Steering, 3 electronic stability, one suspension, one engine cooling, 1 fuel system

:agree:

Gotta file a complaint if you have a problem and want something done. Pretty low numbers overall. The NHTSA took action after only about 5 of us had filed reports---which is what got the recall rolling and the fixes happening.:thumbup:

ABN350F
02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I have several questions. Do we have any attorenys that ride Spyders? If so, have you considered a Class Action Suit against BRP on behalf of all Spyder owners?

Just thoughts!

Lamonster
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I have several questions. Do we have any attorenys that ride Spyders? If so, have you considered a Class Action Suit against BRP on behalf of all Spyder owners?

Just thoughts!
I just looked at your post history and the only problem I see you've had was a bad o-ring. Looks like your Spyder is treating you pretty good to me. :dontknow:

COOLMACHINE
02-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I just looked at your post history and the only problem I see you've had was a bad o-ring. Looks like your Spyder is treating you pretty good to me. :dontknow:
Come on Lamont.... after the o-ring goes, I only see trouble ahead. :joke:

BTW, I've got 15XXX on my Spyder and love it! Come on spring time.

MouthPiece
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

I am, but my forte' is criminal defense. Class action lawsuits are a specie in and of themselves. Hope this answers and helps.

Chris Ray

ABN350F
02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah! I have been rather lucky so far -- my O-ring only had me down for about 1 week. I have had some of the minor symptoms after the updates -- engine revving, SE5 stuck in 5th Gear after high speed stop, backfire -- but all solved with turning the key to the off position and restarting the bike.

My comment about a Class action suit -- is a last ditch effort for spyder owners. Im all about giving BRP a chance to do the right thing like Toyota is currently doing before something so extreme.

I was only wondering if anyone was thinking about litigation.

Im pretty satisfied with my spyder and service from my local dealer and I hope that I do not experience the DPS failure -- knock on wood!

Recluze
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM

NHTSA Complaints

I filed a complaint about 2 weeks ago so maybe the 2010 data has not caught up yet. Or they ignored me. I am good either way.

Firefly
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I filed a complaint about 2 weeks ago so maybe the 2010 data has not caught up yet. Or they ignored me. I am good either way.

The dates do not refer to when the complain was filed--- they refer to the production year of the vehicle....:thumbup:

Firefly
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah! I have been rather lucky so far -- my O-ring only had me down for about 1 week. I have had some of the minor symptoms after the updates -- engine revving, SE5 stuck in 5th Gear after high speed stop, backfire -- but all solved with turning the key to the off position and restarting the bike.

My comment about a Class action suit -- is a last ditch effort for spyder owners. Im all about giving BRP a chance to do the right thing like Toyota is currently doing before something so extreme.

I was only wondering if anyone was thinking about litigation.

Im pretty satisfied with my spyder and service from my local dealer and I hope that I do not experience the DPS failure -- knock on wood!

Since there is a recall in process right now , I think bringing lawyers into the fray is unnecessary. Seems to me BRP is light years ahead of Toyota pertaining to our DPS issues. A half dozen reports and we got recall action within 6 months or so.:thumbup: Not too bad-- especially for a government run program... ;)

I've always considered the NHTSA for reporting safety issues, not minor problems like squeaky brakes, etc. which BRP has been taking care of under standard warranty.

mxz600
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Just thoughts!

What would this lawsuit be about, down time? You want to sue over the lost opportunity to ride while your Spyder was in the shop. As of this date and time, you have no case.

Way2Fast
02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Lets see what happens when all the Spyders that have been in hibernation wake up in the Spring. If the "fixed" steering issues persist it might be personal injury lawsuits that come into play.

SpyderGirl
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Add one more under the steering portion of the 2008's.... grrr.... :cus:

I went ahead and filed a report even though I really didn't have much of an incident. The more information they have, the better.

I also left Carlo a message yesterday, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

czdaryle
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
this is what scares me

http://corsicanadailysun.com/local/x212388655/Former-educator-dies-in-motorcycle-crash

TexasTripod
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I filed a report with NHTSA several days ago (Dont know if it's in their data-base yet). Carlo called me 2-22-10 to discuss my problem and arrangements are being made to trailer my Spyder back to Houston for a second time (First time was on my dime). I have to admit that Carlo seems genuinely concerned and he seems to have been thrust into the middle of a situation not of his making and thats a tough position to be in. Hopefully this time the technician will actually test ride my Spyder for several miles before claiming it's fixed and telling me to come get it. Will keep everyone posted.

bone crusher
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM

Just thoughts!

What would be the class action suit? There are no damages...injuries, death, etc...would classify as such...hence, no lawsuit...you can't just sue because you are upset with BRP taking a while to respond to a problem...you have to have substantial damages to warrant a lawsuit...

Firefly
02-23-2010, 09:04 PM
What would be the class action suit? There are no damages...injuries, death, etc...would classify as such...hence, no lawsuit...you can't just sue because you are upset with BRP taking a while to respond to a problem...you have to have substantial damages to warrant a lawsuit...

Not to mention the recall was voluntary and BRP has plenty of proof showing they have been working on a solution.

bone crusher
02-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Not to mention the recall was voluntary and BRP has plenty of proof showing they have been working on a solution.

It'd get thrown out anyway as there are no damages...that would be the first thing that a judge would look at...no damages, no case. After my discussion with Carlo, I believe that BRP has a tricky one they're dealing with and they'll come up with a solution...hopefully sooner as opposed to later...Carlo told me that he's been on a bike when the steering locked...he understands everyones' frustration and is trying to have BRP open up more channels of communication with us end users! However, for now, we have to believe BRP and Carlo at face value when he says that they are working hard on a solution....we have to remember that the first solution didn't work for some so now they're going to be even that much more careful...

jgwoods
02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=ABN350F;183187]Yeah! I have been rather lucky so far -- my O-ring only had me down for about 1 week. I have had some of the minor symptoms after the updates -- engine revving, SE5 stuck in 5th Gear after high speed stop, backfire -- but all solved with turning the key to the off position and restarting the bike.

My comment about a Class action suit -- is a last ditch effort for spyder owners. Im all about giving BRP a chance to do the right thing like Toyota is currently doing before something so extreme...."

Toyota isn't doing the right thing. The problems will turn out to be a combination of driver error and electronics issues resulting from bad choices in their designs- like leaving out fuel shut off when the brakes are applied- a common feature in many ECUs.

As for BRP, I think they are still trying to figure things out, and stonewalling in the meantime. Their intentions are good, but we shall see what happens if the fix for DPS problems turns out to be an expensive fix for them....

SpyderWolf
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
this is what scares me

http://corsicanadailysun.com/local/x212388655/Former-educator-dies-in-motorcycle-crash

It also scares everyone else; however, it was never substantiated that her accident was caused by a steering malfunction. There is a chance it may have been, but that is all speculation at best.

I would actually like to see the numbers for how many Spyders of each model year have been sold in the US. Then we could compare that to the number of reports the NHTSA has recorded, along with those who have posted on here about having the issues. The numbers may actually speak much better themselves than the rest of us could.

I am also concerned about the steering issue, and waiting for BRP to announce they have found a final solution to it. But the talk of filing a class action lawsuit is very premature in this instance. If the lawsuit was able to be filed, what resolution would you be looking for? A guarantee that nothing is ever going to go wrong with your Spyder? Reimbursement for the time that you could not ride it?

I would think if anyone had the notion, and possible opportunity to sue on those grounds, it would be Deb and Brian. Yet I have never seen them post any statements to that effect. :dontknow:

brutus450
02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
If so, have you considered a Class Action Suit against BRP on behalf of all Spyder owners?

are you kidding me? BEHALF OF ALL SPYDER OWNERS???:roflblack: Keep me out of that one please. Probably the most rediculous statement I have read on this site.

This world is too damn sue happy.

I think I am going to sue Charmin for clogging my toilet. The stuff is just too dang fluffly.

dltang
02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
are you kidding me? BEHALF OF ALL SPYDER OWNERS???:roflblack: Keep me out of that one please. Probably the most rediculous statement I have read on this site.

I think I am going to sue Charmin for clogging my toilet. The stuff is just too dang fluffly.

I know this is a serious conversation but brutus, that just made me laugh. I love my Charmin.

SpyderWolf
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM

:roflblack: I think you need some type of personal injury. Perhaps Charmin not only clogged your toilet, but gave you hemmorhoids as well. :joke:

brutus450
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I know this is a serious conversation but brutus, that just made me laugh. I love my Charmin.

I havent done my "dailey duty" until I make someone smile and laugh:D

Firefly
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
It also scares everyone else; however, it was never substantiated that her accident was caused by a steering malfunction. There is a chance it may have been, but that is all speculation at best.

I would actually like to see the numbers for how many Spyders of each model year have been sold in the US. Then we could compare that to the number of reports the NHTSA has recorded, along with those who have posted on here about having the issues. The numbers may actually speak much better themselves than the rest of us could.

I am also concerned about the steering issue, and waiting for BRP to announce they have found a final solution to it. But the talk of filing a class action lawsuit is very premature in this instance. If the lawsuit was able to be filed, what resolution would you be looking for? A guarantee that nothing is ever going to go wrong with your Spyder? Reimbursement for the time that you could not ride it?

I would think if anyone had the notion, and possible opportunity to sue on those grounds, it would be Deb and Brian. Yet I have never seen them post any statements to that effect. :dontknow:

If memory serves, at the time of the recall there were around 9,000 Spyders in North America.

All things considered - the number of DPS failures is a pretty small amount of the total sold.

RTGENE
02-24-2010, 12:02 AM
LEASE DON'T SQUEEZE THE CHARMIN-------I HAVE BEEN WAITING YEARS TO SAY THAT.

dryheat
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM
If memory serves, at the time of the recall there were around 9,000 Spyders in North America.

All things considered - the number of DPS failures is a pretty small amount of the total sold.
The number of NHTSA reports is obviously skewed. I'm pretty sure it only contains a few of the incidents where people actually experienced steering failure. Most are unreported, I suspect. There is also a boatload of people who didn't get the lock-up, but have had to replace the DPS unit because of repeated BUDS failures. I'd be interested to see how many DPS units have been replaced for all reasons.
:dontknow:

rider2554
02-24-2010, 12:34 AM
this is what scares me

This is sad to see. Would like to know if it was do to rider error, weather conditions, was she wearing a helmet, mechanical issue (DPS problem), health issue? Could be any of the above. My prayers go out for her family.

WaltH
02-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I have been crossing my fingers that BRP will make its cause and effect announcement very soon. If something doesn't happen pretty quick, I may never get my fingers unstuck. This could make it difficult to ride.:2thumbs:

QuadManiac
02-24-2010, 01:00 AM
If the "fixed" steering issues persist it might be personal injury lawsuits that come into play.

And, of course, this is exactly what the class action, ambulance chasing sharks are hoping for.

No offense intended to any attorneys here, I was married to one for 22 years... but class action abuse is the scourge of the US judicial system - making fortunes for the law firms and a pittance for deserving members of the class.

ThreeWheels
02-24-2010, 01:05 AM
So let me understand. Are these things death traps just waiting to kill the unsuspecting innocent rider, or is this just one of those things ?
I'd like to have some feel for the failure rate. Is it one in a million, and all six of those have posted, or is it more like one in a hundred ?
?
I'd like to know since I haven't picked up my RT yet.

FANG
02-24-2010, 06:40 AM
So let me understand. Are these things death traps just waiting to kill the unsuspecting innocent rider, or is this just one of those things ?
I'd like to have some feel for the failure rate. Is it one in a million, and all six of those have posted, or is it more like one in a hundred ?
?

This forum is only representative of a fraction of spyder owners and problems are a major focus at times. Rest assure the spyder is no more dangerous than any other motorcycle or trike.

I love my spyder and ryde as often as I can.

SpyderWolf
02-24-2010, 07:03 AM
?

welcome

In response to my earlier question, FireFly stated there were approximately 9,000 Spyders sold in the US. So, the rate of incident reports to NHTSA is very low with that number of Spyders on the road. As HDXBones stated, there have not been any reported problems with the 2010 models so far. I have not had any steering issues yet, nor do I want to have any, and I continue to ryde mine like I stole it.

:congrats: on getting your new RT soon.

NancysToy
02-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The number of NHTSA reports is obviously skewed. I'm pretty sure it only contains a few of the incidents where people actually experienced steering failure. Most are unreported, I suspect. There is also a boatload of people who didn't get the lock-up, but have had to replace the DPS unit because of repeated BUDS failures. I'd be interested to see how many DPS units have been replaced for all reasons.
:dontknow:
I wouldn't call it a "boatload", but I do agree with your assessment. A number of members have experienced the problem immediately on the heels of the update, and merely had the dealer address it. No NHTSA reports in those cases. In several cases the dealer himself has seen the "Check DPS" warning, and has notified the customer that a new DPS unit was on order. Again, no NHTSA involvement. That is proper, since there was no "incident" to report, but it will skew the reported numbers. Even with those, the number of failures is a small percentage of the Spyders sold.

BLACK WIDOW
02-24-2010, 09:14 AM

Yes that is correct---But, look at TOYOTA; An extremely small percentage of reports relative to the millions sold. It only takes one though to kill you.nojoke

Way2Fast
02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't call it a "boatload", but I do agree with your assessment. A number of members have experienced the problem immediately on the heels of the update, and merely had the dealer address it. No NHTSA reports in those cases. In several cases the dealer himself has seen the "Check DPS" warning, and has notified the customer that a new DPS unit was on order. Again, no NHTSA involvement. That is proper, since there was no "incident" to report, but it will skew the reported numbers. Even with those, the number of failures is a small percentage of the Spyders sold.

Just having the "check DPS" flash on the dash should be considered an "incident" because it is a warning that something is out of wack. If all systems were functioning properly chances are their would be no message displayed on th dash.

SpyderGirl
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
A number of members have experienced the problem immediately on the heels of the update, and merely had the dealer address it. No NHTSA reports in those cases.

I fall into that category, I did file a report with NHTSA stating so.

Firefly
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
?

The steering problems have been amplified by many out here on these internets.

Should you be aware of this concern? ---- YES!

Should you be worried you're riding a 'death trap'? Absolutely NOT!

Far more dangers with a higher % of causing a Spyder crash than this steering issue----- with one of top ones being idiots driving cars near you while talking on cell phones.

Even with the 'minor possibility' of a steering system failure, I'll still put the safety of the Spyder up against any bike on the road. Other opinions will obviously vary.

We only know of a few 'possible' actual accidents due to steering failure. All others have been able to maintain control of the Spyder.

Buy it. Ride it. Be aware of any possible mechanical failure (flat tire, engine stopping, dead battery, steering problem, etc. .....). This goes for ANY bike on the road-- not just the Spyder.

NancysToy
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Just having the "check DPS" flash on the dash should be considered an "incident" because it is a warning that something is out of wack. If all systems were functioning properly chances are their would be no message displayed on th dash.
If it happens to the dealer, before you get the Spyder back, it would be discounted as a second hand report, even if you choose to file with NHTSA. Reports that could not be substantiated, could be confused with another issue, or were too vague, were part of the Toyota problem. NHTSA discounted many of them, so delayed their investigation. I strongly urge all who have had an actual malfunction that resulted in some real effect to report them, and even to report warnings they experienced that could not be explained or corrected by the dealer, but reporting that your dealer called and saw a warning on the screen would be counterproductive...and likely ignored.

Smylinacha
02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
?

:dontknow: Nobody really has any info yet. Only place that has info is the NHTSA that you can see posted. And we don't know if this is a real # or do people experience these problems and just not report them. So we really do not know how many Spyders have had this happen.

ABN350F
02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Ok the Class action suit was just for discussion -- but could be revisited should more incidents as below happen if related to the DPS issue. However, there has been no further information relating to this crash. A question, when DPS failure occurs is there a log of the incident in the DPS or is there a way to determine if the DPS failed a a certain point in time. If there is, then shouldnt the DPS be pulled from the Spyder involved in this accident and sent to BRP, NHTSA an independent tester.

Former educator dies in motorcycle crash

Jan Ivie, former educator at Corsicana high School, died Sunday after her three-wheeled Can-Am Spyder veered off FM 744 in a motorcycle accident.

Ivie was among a group of other motorcycles, according to a Department of Public Safety report, when she failed to navigate her bike around a corner about 5.6 miles west of Corsicana. Ivie’s head struck a tree, and she was pronounced dead at Navarro Regional.

Firefly
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/37.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/smiley-with-a-sign-that-says-huh)

What the heck is a " 'possible' actual accidents "????

BRP admitted to 3 seperate incidents with injuries last May, almost a year ago. Do you really believe they all stopped after that? I don't.......

And what is "maintaining control"?

Does that mean keeping your intended course exactly as planned? Or does it mean not getting in an accident?????Many accounts I've read clearly stated the operator was fortunate to avoid an accident as they experienced an out-of-lane excursion......

That would not be considered "maintaining control" in most people's opinions.....

Can't help but wonder, why are you so insistent on minimizing the experiences of other SpyderLovers, and portraying the possible consequences of a DPS failure as being so trivial?????:dontknow: Just doesn't make sense.....

One could ask the same about you--- why are you so insistent on bashing BRP every chance you get? Just today you've put a scare into two new or soon to be owners.

Making them aware and giving the impression that the Spyder is a 'death trap' are very different things. You obviously prefer giving the latter impression, even tho it's far from the truth.

Thanks for catching my typo btw--- geesh.:chill:

Incidents are different that accidents are they not? I've had 'incidents' that involved my steering not working properly--- but I didn't have an 'accident'.

Maybe we should be using the word CRASH. How many CRASHES do we know of that were caused by DPS failure? 1 'probable' crash (as in it most likely WAS DPS related). The other 2 mentioned 'injuries' during incidents we don't know about, other than a mention of bruised wrists or something - was that do to a 'crash' or just trying to control the Spyder?

Either way it's a small amount out of the thousands of Spyders on the road.

ABN350F
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I have sent a email to the editor of the Corsicana newspaper to see if there has been any additional information regarding the fatal crash -- will keep all posted

NancysToy
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok the Class action suit was just for discussion -- but could be revisited should more incidents as below happen if related to the DPS issue. However, there has been no further information relating to this crash. A question, when DPS failure occurs is there a log of the incident in the DPS or is there a way to determine if the DPS failed a a certain point in time. If there is, then shouldnt the DPS be pulled from the Spyder involved in this accident and sent to BRP, NHTSA an independent tester.
If there is a "Check DPS" warning on the cluster, it will probably record a fault code that can be retrieved by BUDS (or manually at the console, if it is still active). I do not believe these are time/date coded, only recorded as "occurred" or "active". According to the reports submitted here, many of the incidents do not result in a warning on the cluster. These probably would not record any failure code. How to respond to the failure code depends on the problem indicated. Some faults require replacement of the DPS unit, others require repalcement or recalibration of sensors, and some are related to the battery voltage, and may be battery or charging system related. There is no one, firm answer. That is what technicians and fault codes are for. The lack of a single known failure may be what is creating such difficulty for the BRP engineers in coming up with a cause and solution. My guess is that there are several possible issues, all with similar results and symptoms. Some may not have left any telltale tracks. Sometimes going after these things is like chasing a down feather in a snowstorm.

SpyderWolf
02-24-2010, 08:37 PM

This is an interesting thought. Just the other morning my wife started her Spyder and the VSS light was on and Check DPS scrolled across the dash. I had her shut it off and remove the key for 5 minutes. She then started it back up with no problems at all. We put over 100 miles on our Spyders that day with no steering problems whatsoever.

So, why in the world would I contact the NHTSA to report such a thing as that? :dontknow:

I am also wondering if you ever took your Spyder to a dealer to try letting them fix it? From what I can remember about your posts, you refused to take it to a dealer until BRP told you they had a concrete fix for the problem, and you did not want to leave it sitting on their dusty lot while they attempted to fix it. Instead, you ended up selling it to a dealer that is going to try to ship it to a different country where they are going to attempt to reverse engineer it and make a new vehicle that you may be perfectly happy with.

This is not meant to bash you or flame you in anyway. I am just trying to figure out where all of your negative posts and opinions on what everyone else should do with their Spyder are coming from? :dontknow:

dave01
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I never had the check DPS on the screen. I just had the "out of 2 lane excursion, 3 times in a row" and 3 more lock-ups within a 20 mile ryde. Then 2 more lock-ups on the way home. The buds showed nothing out of the ordinary. Thats what is making it hard for the technicians to diagnose. Not all of the cases have been the same. Some get clicking with the lock-up, some get the" wont turn without a lot of force", some, like me got both, and the twitching from right to left.

bone crusher
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
And, of course, this is exactly what the class action, ambulance chasing sharks are hoping for.

No offense intended to any attorneys here, I was married to one for 22 years... but class action abuse is the scourge of the US judicial system - making fortunes for the law firms and a pittance for deserving members of the class.

SpyderWolf
02-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I think that Way2Fast's post is meant to be taken in context with the post he quoted along with it.....Sounds different if taken alone.......

That makes sense as well.

I know curiosity may kill me, but like a cat I am still curious about the other questions I posed to him. :)

bone crusher
02-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I have sent a email to the editor of the Corsicana newspaper to see if there has been any additional information regarding the fatal crash -- will keep all posted

It's unlikely they'll ever know and one cannot speculate.

bikeguy
02-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Some faults require replacement of the DPS unit, others require repalcement or recalibration of sensors, and some are related to the battery voltage, and may be battery or charging system related.

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest although I'm still waiting for my Spyder RT to arrive so my opinion isn't worth much. But this point that Scotty made really got me to thinking. Digital systems are very sensitive to voltage levels. The actual voltages used in the processors and circuitry themselves are usually quite low so even a tenth of a volt can make a huge difference. It would be interesting to know the condition of the battery/battery connections/charging sytem when some of the DPS failures occurred.

I have seen the instrument panel on my Ford Excursion go nuts because of low voltage when it's two batteries still had sufficient charge to start a 7.3 liter diesel engine. It's not much of a stretch to imagine that low voltages could cause the Spyder's DPS and related electronics to do weird things especially since the Spyder has a relatively anemic charging system.

Cotton

Way2Fast
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
This is an interesting thought. Just the other morning my wife started her Spyder and the VSS light was on and Check DPS scrolled across the dash. I had her shut it off and remove the key for 5 minutes. She then started it back up with no problems at all. We put over 100 miles on our Spyders that day with no steering problems whatsoever.

So, why in the world would I contact the NHTSA to report such a thing as that? :dontknow:

I am also wondering if you ever took your Spyder to a dealer to try letting them fix it? From what I can remember about your posts, you refused to take it to a dealer until BRP told you they had a concrete fix for the problem, and you did not want to leave it sitting on their dusty lot while they attempted to fix it. Instead, you ended up selling it to a dealer that is going to try to ship it to a different country where they are going to attempt to reverse engineer it and make a new vehicle that you may be perfectly happy with.

This is not meant to bash you or flame you in anyway. I am just trying to figure out where all of your negative posts and opinions on what everyone else should do with their Spyder are coming from? :dontknow:

Where do I get my opinions ?? I don't see where you are coming from?? I did choose to not take it to my dealer for evaluation because like I said before, I didn't want my bike left standing in a dirt lot waiting for experimental surgery. I didn't feel comfortable riding it since the problems occurred so I parked it in my garage. Almost a year later my dealer told me he still never heard of any steering problems. This is not someone who would seem qualified to even do an oil change, much less fix an "unheard of" steering issue. My plan was to sit tight and wait for BRP to address the issue with positive results. After reading about so many steering issues AFTER repairs with no end in sight, I decided to bail. I never told anyone else what they should do with their Spyders other than to report any problems to the NHTSA. I believe my negativity regarding BRP is well founded. That is my opinion, you are entitled to yours !

Way2Fast
02-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I think that Way2Fast's post is meant to be taken in context with the post he quoted along with it.....Sounds different if taken alone.......

You hit the nail on the head..... The whole story needs to me read, not just the ending.

SpyderWolf
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Where do I get my opinions ?? I don't see where you are coming from?? I did choose to not take it to my dealer for evaluation because like I said before, I didn't want my bike left standing in a dirt lot waiting for experimental surgery. I didn't feel comfortable riding it since the problems occurred so I parked it in my garage. Almost a year later my dealer told me he still never heard of any steering problems. This is not someone who would seem qualified to even do an oil change, much less fix an "unheard of" steering issue. My plan was to sit tight and wait for BRP to address the issue with positive results. After reading about so many steering issues AFTER repairs with no end in sight, I decided to bail. I never told anyone else what they should do with their Spyders other than to report any problems to the NHTSA. I believe my negativity regarding BRP is well founded. That is my opinion, you are entitled to yours !

Thanks for answering my questions. :)

aubierules
02-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Yes that is correct---But, look at TOYOTA; An extremely small percentage of reports relative to the millions sold. It only takes one though to kill you.nojoke