PDA

View Full Version : VSS / ABS SENSOR PROBS " NEED HELP"

SpyderQ
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey fellow riders, i'm having a problem and hoping some1 out here might know the answer. My spyder was running fine all winter . I would start it up once a month and take it out for a few minutes just to warm it up. Yesterday i went to start it up and no start and instead i got 2 fault codes. 1 was a VSS fault and the other was a ABS fualt.

Now , i'm wondering why these would go off from just sitting for the past month? I tried clearing the code with the mode/ high beam button trick that is in the service manual, but that didn't work. Any idea's on how to clear them or fix it myself or should i just bite the bullitt and get a flatbed and take it over to dealer since it's still under warranty. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again :2thumbs:

dave01
02-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Check your battery for a full charge. I got the same thing with a partially charged battery. Also, pull your key and let the Spyder sit for a few minutes and the codes may clear.

j45p3r
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Most likely a battery issue. Do you keep the battery on a battery tender of some kind?

Lamonster
02-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Pull your relays to clear the codes and put your battery on a charger.

SpyderQ
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks. I found the vss sensor but i'm at a loss where to find the ABS sensor to pull it.

groundeffect
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I found the vss sensor but i'm at a loss where to find the ABS sensor to pull it.

I tried clearing the code with the mode/ high beam button trick that is in the service manual, but that didn't work.

I do not think that trick will actually 'CLEAR' the codes, I think it will only provide you with active codes, that scroll across the cluster. :dontknow:

Hope that helps.
Cheers. :popcorn:

NancysToy
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Charge your battery.

SpyderQ
02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
just wanna thank everyone for the great feedback. it was the battery. swapped it out for a new 1 and it turned right over.

thanks again

Firefly
02-23-2010, 12:59 PM
just wanna thank everyone for the great feedback. it was the battery. swapped it out for a new 1 and it turned right over.

thanks again

You should really put a battery tender on to avoid having this problem again. I keep mine on a BT all the time.

jgwoods
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I ride mine every day so I don't use a battery tender. I also have a voltmeter installed and one cold day I tripped a few codes when the cranking voltage dropped into the 9v area as it started.
I let it idle and warm up -it was 14 degrees at the time- then shut it off, waited a minute and started it again- this time the voltage didn't drop so far and there were no codes.

The tech I talked to at 3a Motors said that all squares with what he knows of the systems- if cranking voltage drops too far the computers go into some other mode than the normal one, and trouble codes come up.
A fresh battery, or a properly charged one, keeps the problem away, but once it is real cold even that might not be enough, so I found.

I can't say as i am impressed with the batteries, or the charging systems on the Spyders- they are adequate, but have little reserve for difficult conditions.