PDA

View Full Version : Problem of Odometer Reset

WaltH
02-21-2010, 12:12 AM
I sent an email to Carlo with the following message. I will post his reply when it arrives.

Dear Carlo:

As you know from reading the Spyderlovers.com forum, the odometer on my 2009 GS will reset to zero at 62,137 miles, which is equivalent to 100,000 kilometers. In my case the reset will occur in four to five months. This is highly unacceptable to me and many other Spyder owners. We view this as a design flaw that must be corrected immediately.

Since BRP sells more Spyders in the United States than it does in the entire rest of the world combined, the odometer should accommodate the conventions and laws of the United States. We are required to report the odometer reading in miles to the state government when title to the vehicle changes hands. Under penalties of perjury we must declare if the odometer reading is actual miles, not actual miles, or if the odometer reading is in excess of its mechanical limits (has reset to zero at some point). In the United States, odometers do not reset to zero before at least 100,000 miles. This fact is well known to the general public.

Vehicles with odometers that have reset to zero are generally assumed to have very high mileage. In some states, lenders will not give loans on vehicles with an odometer that has reset to zero. In most cases, dealers will not accept a trade-in vehicle with a reset odometer. Private parties are generally very reluctant to buy a used vehicle with a reset odometer. Needless to say, the trade-in value, or resale value, of such a vehicle is very low indeed. When the odometer resets the market value plummets. It would be tragic for this to occur with only 62,137 miles on the Spyder.

It does not bode well for the future sales of Spyders, if a used Spyder cannot be traded-in and cannot be sold on the open market. A reset odometer makes it very difficult for a current owner to trade up to a new Spyder.

Please hurry with a fix for this problem. My clock is running out at frightening speed.

Sincerely:

Smylinacha
02-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Good letter! :thumbup:

I sent an email to Carlo with the following message. I will post his reply when it arrives.

Dear Carlo:

As you know from reading the Spyderlovers.com forum, the odometer on my 2009 GS will reset to zero at 62,137 miles, which is equivalent to 100,000 kilometers. In my case the reset will occur in four to five months. This is highly unacceptable to me and many other Spyder owners. We view this as a design flaw that must be corrected immediately.

Since BRP sells more Spyders in the United States than it does in the entire rest of the world combined, the odometer should accommodate the conventions and laws of the United States. We are required to report the odometer reading in miles to the state government when title to the vehicle changes hands. Under penalties of perjury we must declare if the odometer reading is actual miles, not actual miles, or if the odometer reading is in excess of its mechanical limits (has reset to zero at some point). In the United States, odometers do not reset to zero before at least 100,000 miles. This fact is well known to the general public.

Vehicles with odometers that have reset to zero are generally assumed to have very high mileage. In some states, lenders will not give loans on vehicles with an odometer that has reset to zero. In most cases, dealers will not accept a trade-in vehicle with a reset odometer. Private parties are generally very reluctant to buy a used vehicle with a reset odometer. Needless to say, the trade-in value, or resale value, of such a vehicle is very low indeed. When the odometer resets the market value plummets. It would be tragic for this to occur with only 62,137 miles on the Spyder.

It does not bode well for the future sales of Spyders, if a used Spyder cannot be traded-in and cannot be sold on the open market. A reset odometer makes it very difficult for a current owner to trade up to a new Spyder.

Please hurry with a fix for this problem. My clock is running out at frightening speed.

Sincerely:

krb1945
02-21-2010, 09:45 AM
and good letter.

I did not realize these the odometers went back to zero. Thanks for informing us of this. /Ken

SpyderWolf
02-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Doc posted a video sometime ago of him ryding his Spyder when the odometer reset to zero. I know Nick Caro has also reached that point. You brought up some very valid points in your letter as well about the resale values and the way things work in the states. It will be interesting to see what type of a response this gets.

If I remember correctly, the odometer reading can only hold 5 digits at this time. Perhaps with a programming change, they could get the US owned Spyders to roll over at the 99,000 miles instead of kilometers; however, then we would be in the same boat with excessively high mileage. Although I must admit it would be better to have the actual extra 37,000 some odd miles annotated.

I wonder what it would take to modify the odometer to show 6 digits? That would seem to be the best solution; however, what would happen when they sent the new unit to each one of us? If we had to replace a gauge clusters would that not set our mileage back to zero on the odometer as well? That would put us right back into the true mileage unknown category.

Please keep us updated on what you find out, as I know many of us are planning on keeping our Spyders for a long time and hoping to get that kind of mileage out of them. :pray:

3whlLefty
02-21-2010, 12:07 PM
This is something I've never thought about. Every car I've seen from the last 30 yrs had 6 digit odometers. 100K kilometers is not a lot of miles. I always assumed there was a legal requirement of some sort but maybe not.

Things that make you go Hmmmm! :dontknow:

LDFIREWORKS
02-21-2010, 12:11 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

groundeffect
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I think you may be referring to this video - Born Again Spyder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q20eP9YM68

Near at around 1:15 of the video you can clearly see the odometer roll-over back to 000000 across the cluster.
cheers.

groundeffect
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Well spoken and letter that gets your concern across.

Please keep us updated on the status of this.
thank you.

Dear Carlo:

Sincerely:

Tom in NM
02-21-2010, 01:30 PM
. . . . . but I am not sure that is the answer.

All odometers will turnover to zero, eventually. Or, they well be replaced - and there you are back at zero.

To me, that is why maintaining records on shop maintenance and consumables ( like gas, tires, brakes, etc. ) is so important. I keep each receipt I get with the current mileage and make sure it is dated and run hours noted. If I sell my Spyder, this will give the buyer a history that they can use to determine if I am trying to perpetrate fraud. From my side, I think it displays how I took care of the Spyder and that I paid attention to it.

Old fashioned? Yes, but I consider it the right thing to do.

I think the old advice of "Buyer Beware" still holds true. It seems that even new cars are sold under an "As Is" umbrella (plus or minus any guarantees and warranties). It is still up to the buyer to perform due diligence and evaluate the specific vehicle they are purchasing. One situation I remember was in Texas, where some brand new cars and trucks ( zero miles ) were damaged in a flood, 'refurbished' and then sold as "new".

A couple of odometer factor$ you didn't include:

many insurance rates consider miles driven. More miles = more risk of accidents, therefore, higher rates.
some warranties are based on mileage.

I know some people value low miles. Other people treasure a record of all the miles they have put on their vehicle. Until a foolproof and permanent vehicle odometer comes along, record keeping is your best bet. In both cases, the 'documentation' will backup your word, if you need to.

What would be real interesting is if our bodies came with an odometer and we could see how many miles we have traveled.

Tom

ataDude
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM

What would be real interesting is if our bodies came with an odometer and we could see how many miles we have traveled.

Tom

I think I'm ready for a major overhaul.

Tom in NM
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I think I'm ready for a major overhaul.

. . . . overdue for ANOTHER major overhaul. :roflblack:

Tom

Just Doo Me
02-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Dealer will be able to give you the exact mileage when its hooked up to BUDDS,that and a lot of other info is logged on the black box.

NancysToy
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Dealer will be able to give you the exact mileage when its hooked up to BUDDS,that and a lot of other info is logged on the black box.nojoke
Doc showed that was not true.

The BUDS show the same miles as the digital display (212.4). I did not have the same issue like nickcaro's display, floating between 62,xxx ,the new low mileage and back on the 62,xxx's. :thumbup:
See this thread (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16500&highlight=born).

dltang
02-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Dealer will be able to give you the exact mileage when its hooked up to BUDDS,that and a lot of other info is logged on the black box.nojoke

Actually the exact mileage is not in the BUDS only the hours. I am on my 3rd instrument cluster and I have to add the mileage of all three together to get my real total. The dealer can not pull that up on the computer. Why it keeps the hours and not the miles, I do not know.

spyryder
02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Actually the exact mileage is not in the BUDS only the hours. I am on my 3rd instrument cluster and I have to add the mileage of all three together to get my real total. The dealer can not pull that up on the computer. Why it keeps the hours and not the miles, I do not know.
Your ECM stores the hours, while the cluster stores the mileage. I had my ECM changed with almost 200 hours on it. That reverted back to zero when it was changed.:(

WaltH
02-21-2010, 07:07 PM

I believe Nickcaro and Docdoru both reported that the display of engine hours stops at about 1079 hours. I may be off on this some. I don't have any idea of what happens then. I am not so concerned with engine hours as I am with reported odometer miles. The odometer problem has real life consequences.

SpyderWolf
02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I believe Nickcaro and Docdoru both reported that the display of engine hours stops at about 1079 hours. I may be off on this some. I don't have any idea of what happens then. I am not so concerned with engine hours as I am with reported odometer miles. The odometer problem has real life consequences.

That is correct, the hour meter also shuts down at a certain point.

Just Doo Me
02-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Dealer will be able to give you the exact mileage when its hooked up to BUDDS,that and a lot of other info is logged on the black box.
My bad.I've had my Ski-doo on Budds before and was pretty sure it had the mileage listed.:opps:

sabunim5
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for bringing the matter to Carlo's attention. :clap: