PDA

View Full Version : SE5 Centrifical Clutch

westgl
02-20-2010, 11:00 PM
I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl

NancysToy
02-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Some of the early SE GS models had a similar problem. If it persists, seeyour dealer. It is not normal.

westgl
02-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl

spyryder
02-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Less than 300 miles and the Centrifugal clutch is going out.

My new Spyder RT-SE5 needs repair and it's not even broken-in yet and it's already broken.

How long is this going to take, I am sure my local dealer does not have this part in stock. This may take some time to get the part & get it fixed.

Oh bother! I'll just ride one of my Goldwings, they never break down!!!

Westgl

It only happened once didn't it?

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.:dontknow:

donnell
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I was out for a ride today, & a beautiful day it was.

I was coming from a Hot-rod show, as I started braking and coming in for a stop light, the bike automatically started down shifting normally down to first gear, the centrifugal clutch was Not freewheeling the bike wanted to keep going like it was in gear.

When this happened, I did not see what the RPM's of the engine were.

I think the centrifugal clutch on the SE-5 starts pulling at 1600-1800 rpms.

Idle is 1300-1400rpm.

It was like it was a Manual shifter in first gear with the clutch out and trying to stop, bike started bucking, then died, I wanted to pull the clutch in but there wasn't one.

Anyone else have this problem?

The engine started right away, And i did not experience this problem for the next hour of riding.

Westgl
no but i am having problem shifting from 1 into 2 when my spyder is cold

donnell
02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
have trouble shifting from 1 to 2 when spyder is cold .but only have 200 mile. on it.i hope it stop . when go for 600miles oil change. i will have it look at,this is my second semi automatic.no problem with the 09 shifting.

Pilo
02-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Try putting some more miles on it.....it's probably still breaking in.:dontknow:

It seems to be a recurring issue with many SE5's.

Mine (a 2009 model) did just the same quite a few times, especially when hot, and while riding in stop-n-go traffic.

Now, with over 5K miles on it, it rarely (if ever) does it, and I do not feel that the clutch has been somehow damaged during break-in.

When yours starts creeping in 1st. gear while stopped, just press firmly on the brake and blip the throttle. That will disengage the clutch.

It should fade away with time, and after a couple of oil changes.

Just to be on the safe side, talk with your dealer.

Saludos, Pilo

westgl
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM
When My Spyder does creeping it is when it has been ran for a while, it doesn't do it when it is cold.

Last time it started creeping(yesterday) I put the brake on hard to hold the bike and the engine died.

That happened a few times on the way home.

Almost every time I came to a stop it would pull and not freewheel (Centrifical clutch) Sometimes it pulls harder than others.

It seems to be getting worse, pulling harder going fast at a stop.

I am not going to ride it until it is fixed.

Guess i'll just have to ride one of the Goldwings

Westgl

westgl
02-23-2010, 01:41 AM
My SE5 had/has a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, I mentioned that to my dealer.

They looked at it and said they don't see a problem. It's not throwing an error code so it must be ok.

It doesn't do it if I shift under power. I mean it shifts normally.

If I try to shift it by closing the throttle, shift then open the throttle, it doesn't like that at all.

Well into the shop it goes.

Westgl

ddileo
02-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Same Orbital Blue RTS with SE5 - same issue after only about 50 miles. Only happen once after coming off the highway and a complete stop. Engine started racing then it sounded like someone threw a marble into the gears as it down shifted. Never happened after that? In the shop now for 600 mile checkup. Let you know what they find out.

:chat:

NancysToy
02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
My SE5 had/has a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd, I mentioned that to my dealer.

They looked at it and said they don't see a problem. It's not throwing an error code so it must be ok.

If I try to shift it by closing the throttle, shift then open the throttle, it doesn't like that at all.

Westgl
The SE5 is meant to be shifted under power. It "blips" the throttle for you. This is an operator thing you are going to have to get used to. Don't close the throttle.

As to the sticking centrifugal clutch and the stalling...that is a problem. Unfortunately, it appears your dealer is, too. Not every malfunction throws a code, especially mechanical woes. These idiot techs that think the computer tells all need to be educated...or start flipping burgers instead. If your dealer will not address the issue, find another dealer...or contact Carlo at customer support.

spyryder
02-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Westgl
I'd try giving it an oil change before ripping it all apart! Make sure they change the transmission filter also.:lecturef_smilie:

westgl
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Well I started the Spyder today, and it was a good thing that the elec. Parking brake was on. The Spyder jumped forward and was held by the P. Brake other wise I would have to replace my garage door.

Well started my ride to the dealer. It was pulling/creeping at every stop some more than others. I tried revving the motor a little, then let it go back to idle.

That made things worse clutch was locking up at higher speed.

I came to one stop could bare hold the bike with the brake when I did it killed the engine.

I tried to restart, but to restart you must hold the brake down, when you hold the brake down you stall the engine. This took about 10 minutes trying to get it re-started

This happened several times trying to get away from a light, When I finally got the thing started, I had to blow through a red traffic light so not to kill the engine, mean while trying to avoid killing my self.

I am thinking I should have gotten a SM5, Can you convert the SE5 to a SM5. Especially if the centrifical clutches are problematic and known for causing break downs.

Me & the wife were thinking of going to Daytona on the Spyder, but, now since this break down, we would have had to tow the Spyder, we would have been stranded also.

We are now thinking that the Spyder maybe an around town vehicle :(, only:( close to home:( kind of vehicle, don't go to far:(.

Too bad!! :( , Me & the wife had High hopes :( for the Spyder :(

A vehicle that leaves you stranded, violates your trust & confidence in it.

While it did not leave me stranded.

It did pull me into a intersection under power against a red light and I could not slow it down, good thing there was no one going through the intersection at the time.

I pulled into the dealer going about 15-20mph and could not slow it down.

I pushed the kill switch. The Spyder started Beeping at me. I thought it was that the parking brake was not set, no, it threw a fault code for BFD Fault (Brake force distribution).

I mentioned the brakes were not stopping very good last week to my dealer, The dealer said they were fine and they needed to broken in, and for me to go 50mph and do a few panic stops, since there is no fault code, they must be ok.

Now we have a BFD fault code. So I guess something might be wrong now.

I really like the Spyder, But this makes it tough to have confidence for any type of a long ride:(:(, We will have to stay close to home, :cus: !.

Well, All of our plans just went to :cus:.

For durability reasons, I was very reluctant to buy anything that was not Japanese. I guess I got my answer.

Well, one good thing, I bought the extended warranty:sour:

I don't want to sound negative, but that really sunk my battleship and all our plans.:mad: That' me being majorly disappointed

Thank God! ! ! ! ! !:D I did not sell my continuous duty Goldwing(s).

Oh! well, The Spyder only cost $30K.

I must have expected way to much :(, :cus: !

I usually keep a spreadsheet on maintenance, I will have to keep Dealer labor hours on my log as well.

Westgl

ddileo
02-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Got the Spyder back from the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it. Drove it home in heavy traffic without any incident.

Sorry, sounds like you need to work with the dealer on this Spyders issues. Not only is their reputation at stake BRP's is too.

Even with only 600 miles on the new Spyder it is one of the safest rides around. Planning on going to Daytona, the longest ride yet. Let you know if we run into any issues. Getting AAA Plus which covers free towing up to 100 miles.

Good luck with the dealer and the Spyder. They should resolve these issues for you. :2thumbs:

Be careful and safe passage to you and your wife. Hope to see you at Daytona.

NancysToy
02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Westgl,
I don't really understand why you are condemning your Spyder without giving the dealer a chance to fix it. This is not normal, and many, many SE5s are out there without problems of this nature. Seems like you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Use the warranty...that's what it is there for. Quite frankly, given the severity and danger of your problems, the Spyder should be trailered to the dealer. Call them and have them pick it up. I continue to be amazed at people who give up on things after a single problem. I guess we live in a "no-fail" society these days. More's the pity, since nothing made by man is 100% fault free.

Lamonster
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Anything made by man can and will have problems. I just ran across a post on my Goldwing board that shows with a little research you'll find the Wing is not without it's own share of issues.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2755724&postcount=1

It very well could be by the luck of the draw you got a bad clutch but I wouldn't lump all Spyders in the "around town" group because of your problems. I've put over 40,000 miles on my Spyder in the last two years and it's held up just as well as any of my Honda's and better than my Suzuki, I spun a rod bearing at 20,000 miles on it and wound up replacing the motor on my dime.:cus:

I know you don't expect to have any problems with a vehicle you just spent $30,000 on but it will get fixed and it will treat you right and you'll renew the passion that drew you to the RT in the first place. :doorag:

westgl
02-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the negative post.

I was very upset, :yikes: that my new bike with only 300 miles already has a major malfunction.

On a positive note, Lamonster, helped me (thank you) by contacting BRP direct.

BRP called me and they are going to work with my dealer to get my Spyder back working correctly.

I will keep this post updated.

Westgl

Dudley
02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Westgl,
From your post, telling us how you shift, it appears that you did not read the Owner's Manual on shifting the SE5. We have over 33,000 miles on our SE5, have been on a 13,624 miles trip last summer and no problems. In stating how your Spyder runs through intersections, etc., because it will not stop rolling, have you ever tried to put it in neutral? Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward? Just a few questions I have on what you have stated.

westgl
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Westgl,
From your post, telling us how you shift, it appears that you did not read the Owner's Manual on shifting the SE5. We have over 33,000 miles on our SE5, have been on a 13,624 miles trip last summer and no problems. In stating how your Spyder runs through intersections, etc., because it will not stop rolling, have you ever tried to put it in neutral? Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward? Just a few questions I have on what you have stated.

Dudley,

My Spyder was running good before this happened, there were what I thought were minor problems, but I had taken it in to the dealer already for them.

That is why I brought the Spyder back to my dealer in the first place. The SE5 trans was not shifting. It would go fine from 1 through 3 then no matter how many times you push the shift button, it stays in that gear.

I got it back from the dealer it was shifting fine, went for about a 70 mile ride then 1st the centrifugal clutch started giving me problems.

Normally you are right it starts in neutral, or it automatically shifts itself to neutral for starting.

Not this time, When I tried to start it, it was in 1st gear, When I started having a problem I looked at what gear I was in first, when I saw it was in first gear, I tried to shift it in to Neutral by hitting the minus button(like going into reverse but dont use the "R" button, just up shift). It would not go into neutral. It would only start it self in 1st. I tried turning it to off taking the key out then putting it back in.

Since the bike was stuck in 1st gear, I had to start it while holding the brake down, and pushing the starter, this was a challenge. That's the major malfunction, the Spyder did not find neutral like normal, Nor could I manually shift it to neutral.

All this happened while I was at a stop light, trying to get it started.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else it was a nightmare.

When I took off I heard some noises from the brakes, & from the engine

When I tried to start the Spyder it was in the 1st gear position, every time. (This is not normal)

That is why I said, Can these be converted back to manual SM5. There were several problems going on

1. Centrifugal Clutch creeping
2. Trans Not automatically shifting to neutral when starting. And manual shift to neutral wont work.
3. Brake force distribution BFD Fault threw a code as I came in to the dealer parking lot.

And yes I am fully aware of the shifting, When I ride I up shift while riding, and down shift for the turns. It had been functioning fine until all went to :cus:

For me a manual trans means this will Never happen again.

Westgl

westgl
02-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Went by my dealer to see what progress they were having.

Dropped it off Tuesday 23rd,

They parked it. I don't mind that they have not started on it yet.

Just as long as I can get it back running properly.

Besides it is suppose to rain tomorrow where i am, And that will give them the time to get the CB/Comm, & 660 Garmin installed.

It would be nice if the dealer received my RT-622 Trailer so I could start using it.

Carlo at BRP just called me, he made me feel better about the repairs that my dealer will do on my :spyder2:.

I asked If the RT-SE5 can be converted to Manual, he basically said that it is not advisable & was cost prohibitive.

In case someone else was interested, and when I get it back, it should be better than new. Well at least like new, well wait mine is new, sorta.

Mine must of been built on a Friday, too many sudds for lunch :cheers: :D

Westgl

sylblk
02-27-2010, 03:42 AM
something i learned early on: always shift to neutral at extended stops as you would with a manual transmission, never shift to neutral unless byke is fully stopped, downshift yourself at 3k rpm ( auto downshift is a fallback mode so that the trans is in first at stops). remember this is not an automatic transmission...

westgl
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I have 300 miles on my RT-SE5 automatic. Mine went back to the dealer for a Centrifugal clutch replacement that was bad.

I was very upset at first, but My dealer is taking care of the problem. BRP shipped the new part overnight next day air to my dealer.

BRP has been on the phone and had one of their top guys working with my dealer to help get the problem Trouble shot & resolved.

Lets face it, sometimes, once in a while, Stuff happens.

It's how well the dealers and manufacturers help to get you back up and running is what counts.

Between my Dealer & BRP they have been doing a great job.

Westgl

westgl
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
The new Centrifugal clutch arrived & has been installed, It is raining here at times pretty hard.

My Dealer wanted to wait for the rain to stop, before they test rode my Spyder, This so they would not under carriage dirty.

I really appreciate that.

It did dry out in the late after noon. My Dealer was able to test ride my Spyder.

My Dealer said that it rode perfect for a half hour.

My dealer wanted to keep it and test ride it again tomorrow to make sure that the problem is gone.

This was handled professionally, and the way I had hoped.

My Spyder dealer (Water World) & BRP worked seemless & flawlessly to resolve this problem.

I applaud them both :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Westgl

elpaso
03-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?

Dwight
03-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Mine died once while stopped for a light. It was idling and just died. One other time it almost died, again at a stop light, same deal. It's in the shop now for service and replacement of the Yaw Sensor for a limp home fault. Don't know if that has anything to do with it dieing at the light but I'm hoping it cures it.

Dwight

GaryTheBadger
03-04-2010, 07:41 AM
WESTGL - When you get your Spyder back, and confirm it's fixed, would you please post what specifically they did to fix it (from the paperwork). This could save someone troubleshooting time in the future. Thank you.

aubierules
03-04-2010, 08:35 AM

bad advice:lecturef_smilie: a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer

aubierules
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
The SE5 is meant to be shifted under power. It "blips" the throttle for you. This is an operator thing you are going to have to get used to. Don't close the throttle.

:agree:

aubierules
03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Well I started the Spyder today, and it was a good thing that the elec. Parking brake was on. The Spyder jumped forward and was held by the P. Brake other wise I would have to replace my garage door.

Well started my ride to the dealer. It was pulling/creeping at every stop some more than others. I tried revving the motor a little, then let it go back to idle.

That made things worse clutch was locking up at higher speed.

I came to one stop could bare hold the bike with the brake when I did it killed the engine.

same exact thing happened to me, except i had to be towed in....this was after the gps was replaced....this time it was the shift solenoid

Thank God! ! ! ! ! !:D I did not sell my continuous duty Goldwing(s).

please tell us how u really feel...im confused, do u like ur goldwing better than ur spyder? :D

aubierules
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Also, when you start the SE5, with your foot on the brake, the Spyder will always start in Neutral, so why does yours jump forward?
its SUPPOSED to start in neutral automatically...but when its messed up, it can start in gear as mine did....i almost ran into the wall in my shed.....it malfunctioned because the shift solenoid was going bad....dealer replaced and alls well..

spyryder
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
bad advice:lecturef_smilie: a new bike that is breaking in should NOT do this....see the dealer
A few others have posted similar problems which went away after an oil change and/or more miles accumulated.:lecturef_smilie:

aubierules
03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
A few others have posted similar problems which went away after an oil change and/or more miles accumulated.:lecturef_smilie:
this is by no means a problem that will resolve itself...in my opinion it is not good advice to tell someone to keep riding it and it will go away...you dont know that to be true. what if he did ignore it and it caused him to get in an accident or tore his bike up..im not saying your being malicious but its just not good advice to give....in my opinion of course

spyryder
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
this is by no means a problem that will resolve itself...in my opinion it is not good advice to tell someone to keep riding it and it will go away...you dont know that to be true. what if he did ignore it and it caused him to get in an accident or tore his bike up..im not saying your being malicious but its just not good advice to give....in my opinion of course
Aubie, at the start of this thread it had seemed to only have happened once initially. Would you really want them to take it all apart if it didn't happen again? And I DO know it to be true as far as it's been reported by some right here who haven't had further problems since having the oil changed, or had accumulated more mileage.
Of course in the OP's case it DID happen more than once and had gotten progressively worse, in which case a dealer visit was in order.:thumbup:

westgl
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I went and picked up my Spyder today.

My dealer said that the Centrifugal Clutch had to be replaced.

My Dealer said by the looks at the parts there was some strange looking wear on the CC plates.

They replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch assembly.

My Windshield was making a lot on noise, the spacers were too thin and left a lot of play and the windshield could move around causing the excessive noise.

Now that is has been fixed, well I only rode it about 12 miles, but it did not run this good when it was delivered to me new, The CC starts to lock up about 1700-1800rpm now. CC releases about 1500rpm

The engine feels like the motor is in neutral when your in 1st it drives really nice now.

I need to ride the :spyder2: more and put some miles on it.

Ill try to get a couple hundred miles on it. Then tell you all how it is doing.

Westgl

NancysToy
03-05-2010, 07:28 AM
I went and picked up my Spyder today.

My dealer said that the Centrifugal Clutch had to be replaced.

My Dealer said by the looks at the parts there was some strange looking wear on the CC plates.

They replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch assembly.

My Windshield was making a lot on noise, the spacers were too thin and left a lot of play and the windshield could move around causing the excessive noise.

Now that is has been fixed, well I only rode it about 12 miles, but it did not run this good when it was delivered to me new, The CC starts to lock up about 1700-1800rpm now. CC releases about 1500rpm

The engine feels like the motor is in neutral when your in 1st it drives really nice now.

I need to ride the :spyder2: more and put some miles on it.

Ill try to get a couple hundred miles on it. Then tell you all how it is doing.

Westgl
So glad to hear the good news. Glad you are smiling now. Any manufacturer can flub up...and it is disappointing. It is how they respond and remedy the problem that shows the manufacturer's and dealer's true character. :clap: Enjoy the Ryde (at last).

ddileo
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Back from bike week in Daytona. Overall a great trip. Highlights include meeting several other Spyder lovers and riding on the Daytona track with 63 other Spyders. Put allot of miles on the RT-S both on the highway and in intense traffic.

Here is a summary of issues during the trip that are relevant to this thread:

1. Before leaving Tampa – rolled into the gas station and Spyder stalled in first. Couldn’t get it started by pressing on break. It tried to roll forward when attempting to start. Stuck in first again. Have been there before, had to use the #13 wrench to get it into neutral to get it started. (Interesting #13 wrench; ironic if you believe in that kind of stuff.)
2. Stalled in first 2 additional times during the entire trip. Once just after it started up one cold morning rolling about 100 feet and once coming of I-4 into a rest stop while hot. Was able to apply the break to re-start it both time. Didn’t lock in 1st and didn’t have to use #13 wrench.

Interest enough, while on the trip, got a voice mail from the sales guy from the dealership asking how things are going with the Spyder. How lucky can someone get? Guess who is going to get a call on Monday.

With the first 600 mile service done and over 1000 miles on it now hope the dealer will find out why it keeps stalling in first. Keep everyone posted…

westgl
03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Glad to hear Daytona was a great trip.

I was going to go to Daytona when My Spyder broke down, My spyder was at the dealer for a week or so.

Your Spyder sounds like you are having most of the same problems that i was having.

As I stated with mine they replaced the whole Centrifugal clutch.

I went on a 80 mile ride today, and WOW !!! My bike runs so much better.

I thought because of the, not shifting from 1st to neutral that a shift solenoid may need to be replaced, but it did not.

Once the Centrifugal clutch was replaced, all my problems went away.

My :spyder2: became sooo smooth.

Tomorrow I plan on getting an early start and maybe putting on a hundred plus miles.

If you are having this problem, I would definitely run, do not walk, to your nearest dealer.

Get the problem fixed now!!! before spring starts.

I have about 150miles till my 600-mile service.

Don't be afraid to take the Spyder in for repairs, get it fixed! Do not live another day with a problem like this.

Westgl

ynot9771
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Mine has died about 3 times a week while it down shifts from second to first while coming to a stop. Anybody else having this problem?

Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony

outdoorallens
03-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes ... same problem at about 300 miles. I called the dealer right after I had to push my spyder out of an intersection. He said he knew what it was and if I couldn't get it started after a 'reset' to call and they would come and get me, my wife and the RT. The RT would not just start all the time ... would panic ... had to remember the 'reset' ... shut it down and pull the key - so on and so on. Well it did restart. He did tell me to make sure to manually down shift on the way to the Dealership before any stopping. I took it in and they said that they would 'download a fix' and if that didn't resolve it then it would need a new sensor for the clutch(?). I didn't need the sensor the 'download' worked and never a problem since. I hope my story helps.

Tony
Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders:dontknow: w/no clue..

Lamonster
03-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes ours stalled two blocks from dealer after break in serv. unfortunately they locked up and went home same time. Rode the sixty five miles home repeated 2 more times on way, rode next day to coast and back 240 miles and worked perfectly. probably cause the wife rode. I was side kick. s/k just shrugged thier shoulders:dontknow: w/no clue..
You need to get it back to your dealer asap.

ddileo
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
:dontknow:Does anyone know the root cause of this issue ??? :dontknow:

Can't seem to narrow it down to a particular circumstance or time during a ride. Don't know what to tell the dealer?

Is it the centrifical cluch, sensor, need vibration dampener gear ???

:gaah::gaah: HELP! :gaah::gaah:

NancysToy
03-13-2010, 08:00 AM
:dontknow:Does anyone know the root cause of this issue ??? :dontknow:

Can't seem to narrow it down to a particular circumstance or time during a ride. Don't know what to tell the dealer?

Is it the centrifical cluch, sensor, need vibration dampener gear ???

:gaah::gaah: HELP! :gaah::gaah:
Most likely the centrifugal clutch, but why tell the dealer what to look for, and cut your options? The dealer should figure it out, calling BRP for help, if needed. That way it is more likely to get thoroughly cured...plus none of the responsibility rests with you. If your tech gets puzzled, and BRP can't help, then you can make suggestions, but I would not do it beforehand.

TicketBait
03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Most likely the centrifugal clutch, but why tell the dealer what to look for, and cut your options? The dealer should figure it out, calling BRP for help, if needed. That way it is more likely to get thoroughly cured...plus none of the responsibility rests with you. If your tech gets puzzled, and BRP can't help, then you can make suggestions, but I would not do it beforehand.

so true, I give my mechanic the symptoms but never the diagnosis, that way they may see or hear some other contributing factor.

Unless a part falls off, I did tell them the poor reception was do to a missing antenna:D

ddileo
03-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Going to the hockey game with the dealer's manager tomorrow night. Should be interesting when I mention this to him. The good news, I bought the extended warranty.

:2thumbs: God bless you and Spyder Lovers ! :2thumbs:

outdoorallens
03-18-2010, 12:38 AM
soo true, my service manager consulted w/his top tech and they came back with this comment( what grade of fuel are you using ). lost my patients when that happened. let's play the blame game first instead of diognosing the problem.

Lamonster
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
soo true, my service manager consulted w/his top tech and they came back with this comment( what grade of fuel are you using ). lost my patients when that happened. let's play the blame game first instead of diognosing the problem.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10017

Gordy
03-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I bought 4 new gold wings had to replace carb on one and clutch on one glad it was under warranty so they have their problems too:gaah:

Speed-Sports
03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.

ataDude
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks for kicking in, here!

Your dealer should be ordering part # 420685543. This is the updated centrifugal Clutch that BRP came out with that will fix your "creeping" problem. The pins inside the centrifugal rollers are a different size, most if not all the 2008 models will have the older style in them. Depending on how long and how bad your Spyder has been creeping it may have also overheated the clutch plates therefore they too may also have to be replaced. The clutches also MUST be adjusted properly with a adjuster plate in the clutch basket (part # 420281535).

The updated centrifugal clutch should already be installed on the 2010 models. The part numbers listed above are for the RS models only. We have not yet had (and hopeully won't) any RT's in our shop with this problem.

Hope this helps.

ddileo
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Update, dealer finally got the centrifugal clutch in from BRP. Took a week and two days to ship from BRP. Hey what can you say when it's coming from Canada A. Shift is much smoother and no stalling in 1st gear. Let the riding begin... :2thumbs:

westgl
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
OK My Spyder is back at the dealer again for the Centrifugal Clutch

I took it in for what I thought was a delayed shift.

My dealer test rode the Spyder said It was not a software download, but the Clutch hanging up & causing the delay, (The delay was a slipping clutch)

My dealer, (I am happy to have such a Great Dealer) said it was three weight/bearings that were changed out for the newer ones.

The weights I had, have a bushing in the center, the bushing seem to cause more friction.

My Dealer replaced the weights with the new ones that have roller bearings.

Let me describe the difference,

Before:
From a Stop: It takes a lot of throttle movement to get away from a stop, felt like clutch was slipping most of the time away from a stop.
Shifting: Clutch was slipping really bad and made it feel like a delayed shift

After:
From a Stop: It takes very little throttle movement to get away from a stop, and throttle feel much more responsive.
Shifting: Very quick, positive shift, after shift bike just moves no slip

All I can say is WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!
This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
much better.

I want to thank my dealer, Water World for doing such a great job, getting my Spyder 1st working correctly, & 2nd getting it done so fast.

NVERLAST1
04-23-2019, 12:58 PM
I know this is old thread but I thought I would reply. My centrifugal clutch assembly went out on a 2009 can am spyder SE5 so now its creeping. I found a used one but inst that new model 420685543 its the older model that creeps. Can I use the used part or do I need to upgrade and get new part?