PDA

View Full Version : RT-S Foglights

NancysToy
02-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I discovered I had no left side foglight on the new RT-S. I thought I checked at the time of delivery, but I couldn't remember for sure. Figured it was a failed bulb, but with the connector off, I could also test the wiring to be sure. With it being a 35 mile ride to the dealer (through snow, salt, and slush), and with a burned out bulb not being covered under warranty anyway, I figured I'd do the job myself.

The manual says to remove the middle side panel (where you check the oil in this case) in order to see, then reach in through the wheel opening, past the suspension, to remove the bulb cover and disconnect the connector to change the bulb. Ha! Either the French-Canadians have more joints in their arms than I do, and eyeballs on periscopes, or this procedure is meant as a joke. I have been doing mechanical work a long time, and I have skinny little arms and hands, but this was not able to be done in any way shape or form. Perhaps a person could have reached the foglight cover from underneath, if the Spyder was on an open lift, but never from ground level. As to the view, I couldn't even see the cover using a light and a mirror.

So what did I have to do to gain access? I removed top side panel (which includes removing the front access panel on that side), loosened the rear side panel, then removed the top side inner panel (which included loosening one screw on the side of the front panel). This allowed me to reach the cover, although it is very tight for room. I still could not see while I worked...it was all done by feel. As to the connector, I was unable to get it to release, so expect a struggle with that, too. You do not want to break a connector in this area...and you are working blind.

Tracing wires I found another connector, where the foglight pigtail joins the harness, that was disconnected. I was lucky to find the harness end by reaching between the panels. It was real hard to connect way inside the wheel well, but the foglights now work fully. :thumbup: Apparently they missed this connector during setup.

Another note, I found an empty rubber boot connector tied to the lefty suspension tower and exposed to the weather. It appears this is a spare, for a front accessory outlet, according to the wiring diagram. Trouble is that it is hot all the time, instead of switched, as on the RS. This looks like a future headache to me. I may have to remove the entire trunk to move it, but if it is not relocated it will eventually corrode badly, and could run the battery down or short out. If it blows a fuse, you will not have reverse, since the reverse actuator is also on this circuit. Beware! :yikes:

glynnk
02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Another note, I found an empty rubber boot connector tied to the lefty suspension tower and exposed to the weather. It appears this is a spare, for a front accessory outlet, according to the wiring diagram. Trouble is that it is hot all the time, instead of switched, as on the RS. This looks like a future headache to me. I may have to remove the entire trunk to move it, but if it is not relocated it will eventually corrode badly, and could run the battery down or short out. If it blows a fuse, you will not have reverse, since the reverse actuator is also on this circuit. Beware! :yikes:[/QUOTE]
Scotty--Is this something we should have the dealer check out.

Glynnk

NancysToy
02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Scotty--Is this something we should have the dealer check out.

Glynnk
I am going to ask at my 625 mile service...if it ever stops snowing long enough for me to rack up some miles. Not sure they will be willing to do anything. If they don't, I will grit my teeth, cuss, and get to work fixing it myself. Yours may not be tied where mine was, sticking through the left shock support, just above the shock. If it is tucked inside better, it may do OK, but it worries me since it is powered on the RT all the time, unlike the RS where it is not even fused unless the trunk outlet is installed...and even then it is switched with the ignition. There was some dielectric grease inside it, which should help, but the connectors were visibly exposed in spots, through the grease, and the boot pointed right at the wheel, where it can pick up all kinds of crud in bad weather.

bone crusher
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I am going to ask at my 625 mile service...if it ever stops snowing long enough for me to rack up some miles. Not sure they will be willing to do anything. If they don't, I will grit my teeth, cuss, and get to work fixing it myself. Yours may not be tied where mine was, sticking through the left shock support, just above the shock. If it is tucked inside better, it may do OK, but it worries me since it is powered on the RT all the time, unlike the RS where it is not even fused unless the trunk outlet is installed...and even then it is switched with the ignition. There was some dielectric grease inside it, which should help, but the connectors were visibly exposed in spots, through the grease, and the boot pointed right at the wheel, where it can pick up all kinds of crud in bad weather.

Oh boy...

boborgera
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I discovered I had no left side foglight on the new RT-S. I thought I checked at the time of delivery,! :yikes:

You shouldn't have to, That's what the dealer is supposed to do.
CHECK EVERY THING AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY!!
Not every body has your knowledge, Most people would have to make a trip
back to the dealer, and who knows how long they'll have to leave it there.

NancysToy
02-19-2010, 10:43 PM
You shouldn't have to, That's what the dealer is supposed to do.
CHECK EVERY THING AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY!!
Not every body has your knowledge, Most people would have to make a trip
back to the dealer, and who knows how long they'll have to leave it there.
I thought I did, but I might have missed it. I don't appreciate being yelled at about it! It could have been in the connector, but not latched...and subsequently fell out when I rode later. Explain to me why I should make a 35 mile ride to the dealer...or pull the trailer there, have my wife pick me up, then repeat in a few days when they fix it. My choice. It did not happen to you, so why are you griping about it? I can't believe the number of perfectionists here that think every little issue is a monster...and all dealers and BRP are bad news as a result. I wanted to share that it was not as easy to get to the foglights as it says in the manual, and also about the empty connectors exposed to the weather. Guess I made a mistake, and stirred a hornets nest instead. Maybe you should just block my posts.

boborgera
02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
I thought I did, but I might have missed it. I don't appreciate being yelled at about it! It could have been in the connector, but not latched...and subsequently fell out when I rode later. Explain to me why I should make a 35 mile ride to the dealer...or pull the trailer there, have my wife pick me up, then repeat in a few days when they fix it. My choice. It did not happen to you, so why are you griping about it? I can't believe the number of perfectionists here that think every little issue is a monster...and all dealers and BRP are bad news as a result. I wanted to share that it was not as easy to get to the foglights as it says in the manual, and also about the empty connectors exposed to the weather. Guess I made a mistake, and stirred a hornets nest instead. Maybe you should just block my posts.

First let me apologize I sometimes have a hard time putting my thoughts down in type. But i didn't say you should have check it, the dealer should have, Also i never said you should bring it back, I've only been back to my dealer once for the recall, Never went for the 600 mile. I do every thing myself. Brakes/Pbrake/Oil in air box/Belt adjust/Etc Etc. I'Ve worked with my two hands all my life. As you probably can tell from my typing. Believe me i am not a perfectionist far from it. So let me Apologize again.

NancysToy
02-20-2010, 07:58 AM
First let me apologize I sometimes have a hard time putting my thoughts down in type. But i didn't say you should have check it, the dealer should have, Also i never said you should bring it back, I've only been back to my dealer once for the recall, Never went for the 600 mile. I do every thing myself. Brakes/Pbrake/Oil in air box/Belt adjust/Etc Etc. I'Ve worked with my two hands all my life. As you probably can tell from my typing. Believe me i am not a perfectionist far from it. So let me Apologize again.
Apology accepted. Go easy on the caps next time, and it will be easier not to take your comments in the wrong way. :D

dave01
02-20-2010, 08:08 AM
I have realized in the past few days that the RTS's are in no way as easy to work on as the rs were. I still havent taken the bodywork off to look underneath. Thanks for the heads-up Scotty on the foglight accessability, or lack of..LOL:thumbup:

bjt
02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
...if it ever stops snowing long enough for me to rack up some miles. ...

Maybe you should move up to Flint. The roads have been clear and dry for almost a week now. :D

SpydeeBite2
02-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Scotty
The day after we brought the RT-S home I noticed that the left front fog light was not working. I believe it was when we picked it up. Don't know if it is burned out or not connected. Will let dealer check at the 625 service. I have made them aware of this. Now we need to get back to Florida so we can put some more miles on it!

NancysToy
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Scotty
The day after we brought the RT-S home I noticed that the left front fog light was not working. I believe it was when we picked it up. Don't know if it is burned out or not connected. Will let dealer check at the 625 service. I have made them aware of this. Now we need to get back to Florida so we can put some more miles on it!
Mine was not connected. If you look around the left suspension tower, or follow the lead down from the light pod, you will find the connector. Once I found the one end, I searched for its mate, and connected them. The mating piece runs back from the front, and was nearby, but not obvious.

Firefly
02-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Could you wrap the rubber boot connector in something water-tight and then re-hang it up there to keep the moisture out?

NancysToy
02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Could you wrap the rubber boot connector in something water-tight and then re-hang it up there to keep the moisture out?
Possible, but there is not much room there without the shock hitting it, and if the boot were compressed, it could eventually become distorted or cracked, and be unusable. I think there are better solutions...like getting it out of the wheelwell, which was a stupid place to put it in the first place...or cutting in an inline fuse to render it powerless unless it it actually being used. Biggest pain is access to cut the tie and work on it or change it. Looks like the trunk is gonna have to come off. Ugh!