PDA

View Full Version : Tips on chopping the rear fender

SpyderGirl
02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Okay, so the Spyder is coming back from "surgery" tomorrow with the rear fender put back on. I have relocated the license plate so have no use for that portion of the rear fender. I wanted to cut the fender down to about half to show a little more of the rear tire.

My question is how did you do it and what tools did you use? I want to do it right but not sure on how to go about it.

Thanks in advance. :doorag:

groundeffect
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Spydergirl, glad your Spyder will be coming back soon!

As for cutting the fender down, a neat idea - please take pictures :).

I first thought Dremal tool, but you may not be able to get good control all the way across the fender (ie a good straight line?).

So, is there a way to clamp it down and use a table saw or something with a fine blade?:dontknow:

Cheers.

SpyderGirl
02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I will take photos of course.

I also considered a Dremel and had the same thought about not being able to make a consistent cut. I have a hacksaw to use to cut the metal part, but am more concerned on how to cut the plastic piece.

SpyderGirl
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
The Spyder is back home with her rear fender on and YUCK!! Any other thoughts on what to use to cut it down?

Pilo
02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
The Spyder is back home with her rear fender on and YUCK!! Any other thoughts on what to use to cut it down?

There was a posting (which I cannot find) related to your query, from where I downloaded these pics about a year ago.

I remember that the owner did it with a hack-saw and a dremel tool, but he let some 1/4" leeway so he could adjust, trim, and redo any mistakes he may have done while cutting it.

Let us see the pics of your mod.

Saludos, Pilo

Arthur---Mexico
02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Spygirl,

As the Spy came from the factory the rear fender is too short. I made a fender extention to keep the area below the seat cleaner when riding on a wet street. It is made out of #18 roller gauge stainless steel sheet. It's supported on each of its ends and does what it was designed to do. Why chop and cause yourself big cleaning problems?

Sarge707
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Spygirl,

As the Spy came from the factory the rear fender is too short. I made a fender extention to keep the area below the seat cleaner when riding on a wet street. It is made out of #18 roller gauge stainless steel sheet. It's supported on each of its ends and does what it was designed to do. Why chop and cause yourself big cleaning problems?

:agree: I would like the fender to cover forward a little more so I don,t have to keep cleaning the tupperware over the rear tire??:yikes:

SpyderGirl
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Spygirl,

I had problems with my rear fender and have lost two license plates in the last two years. I have since relocated the license plate and have no use for the original mounting point. I want to keep the rear fender to keep the crap off of the back of the Spyder, but I don't want to keep the license plate area.

I had thought about going fender-less after having my mounting brackets broken and being forced to remove it for a return cross-country trip, but realized really how important it is and now I want to modify it so that it looks good and is still functional.

SpyderGirl
02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
:agree: I would like the fender to cover forward a little more so I don,t have to keep cleaning the tupperware over the rear tire??:yikes:

That really doesn't bother me, it's easy to clean.