PDA

View Full Version : Another BRP Backrest Question

3whlLefty
02-19-2010, 12:15 AM
I've been shopping ebay etc. for a backrest. One seller says his is NOT the adjustable model. I've never heard of that.

I do see some differences in some pics though. Some have a black thumbscrew knob on the front of the base and others have the massive black handle at the rear of the backrest. I've only seen that last one at dealers and that handle seemed totally rigid. I gave up trying to adjust the backrest thinking I would break something.

Are there actually different models now? :dontknow:

Firefly
02-19-2010, 01:03 AM
I've been shopping ebay etc. for a backrest. One seller says his is NOT the adjustable model. I've never heard of that.

I do see some differences in some pics though. Some have a black thumbscrew knob on the front of the base and others have the massive black handle at the rear of the backrest. I've only seen that last one at dealers and that handle seemed totally rigid. I gave up trying to adjust the backrest thinking I would break something.

The one you saw at the dealer on the back of the Spyder with the large black handle is the BRP passenger backrest. You lift the handle up and then adjust it-- then lock it back down.

The ones with the thumbscrews are aftermarket backrests... most likely made by Corbin--- which requires you to have a Corbin seat.

SpyderWolf
02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I hope you also realize that in order to use the BRP Back Rest, you must buy the Rear Sport Rack which is nearly twice the price of the back rest.

3whlLefty
02-20-2010, 12:20 AM
I hope you also realize that in order to use the BRP Back Rest, you must buy the Rear Sport Rack which is nearly twice the price of the back rest.

I already have the rack. I saw some one selling a 'non-adjustable' backrest and wondered it that was real. I've done some more digging and it seems that BRP has redesigned the backrest and changed the adjustment mechanism from the handle to a knurled knob on the front of the base. Looks like you just turn that knob to move the backrest forward and back. I'm trying to find one at a dealer to look at and try out. One ebay seller lists the original as part #2194 00082 and the new style as part #2194 00140. I'm not in any rush to buy this so I can check out both of them. The knob looks like it could be a simpler and better adjuster to me.

SpyderWolf
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear you already have the rack. We have a rack and back rest in shipment for my Wife's Spyder now, and you have me wondering which one it will be. If it is different than the one I currently have, I will post and let you know. If you get a chance to see both of them, let us know your thoughts on the difference as well.

SpyderByter
02-20-2010, 10:36 PM

The seller states that the photo does not match the backrest:

(Note: photo is of adjustable backrest, this is the NON-adjustable version.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-Spyder-Passenger-Backrest-Silver-New_W0QQitemZ370334218046QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorc ycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5639a3b73e

SpyderWolf
02-20-2010, 11:11 PM
The seller states that the photo does not match the backrest:

(Note: photo is of adjustable backrest, this is the NON-adjustable version.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-Spyder-Passenger-Backrest-Silver-New_W0QQitemZ370334218046QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorc ycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5639a3b73e

That is very interesting. They say they are selling the non-adjustable one, but the picture is of an adjustable one. However, mine is adjustable and has the large handle for front and back adjustments. What are the adjustments on this one with the knob? Perhaps they switched to the knob as it takes quite a bit of force to lift the handle on mine, and some people have reported problems with something breaking. :dontknow:

mxz600
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM

I don't think BRP sells a non adjustable backrest. If they do it's not on their website. My dealer in Kazoo sells one on Ebay. It's a good honest price with free shipping, and they list the model # with a good description of the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-Spyder-Roadster-Adjustable-Seat-Backrest-Kit-New_W0QQitemZ370318388159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorc ycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5638b22bbf