PDA

View Full Version : Aerocharger FAQ posted and kit schematic

asmdjackal
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
You can see this on Aerochargers site, but I thought I'd post it here are well. They have addressed MANY questions regarding the kit. Thanks to those of you that have posted questions in the forums!

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What is the stock horsepower that the Spyder engine produces?
A: Stock horsepower and torque to the wheels has been recorded as: 92HP and 63Ft Lbs of torque.

Q: What is the performance increase I can expect from my Aerocharged Spyder?
A: Final Dyno testing/tuning is currently in progress and we will update our website accordingly as soon as possible. Do not be surprised if you see a 40-50% increase in to the ground HP and TQ over stock with room to grow.

Q: How much does the turbo kit weigh?
A: The Aerocharger 53 Series turbo is approximately 10lbs, the charge tubes, intercooler and additional Aerocharger components will add another 10-15LBS.

Q: What is this "Wide-Band" controller and gauge listed with the kit?
A: A Wide-Band oxygen sensor & digital gauge measures the Air/Fuel ratio. Monotoring Air/Fuel ratios ensure that your Spyder is running properly and safely at all times. Using this sensor and gauge eliminates the possibility of running too lean or too rich and possibly damaging the engine.

Q: Will the Aerocharger turbo kit fit on the new RTS Spyder?
A: From what we can tell there should be no issues installing this kit on the new RTS. However this has not been confirmed 100% at this point. If you are in the KC metro area and have a new RTS please give us a call or stop by so we can provide the Spyder community with a solid answer. Check back for updates on the RTS fitment.

Q: What is this "catch can" that I heard comes with your kit?
A: The Spyder is notorious for dumping oil into the stock airbox. With the Aerocahrger kit the provided custom air box will be pressurized and is designed to stay free of oil. We include an aluminum catch can that is designed to vent crank case pressure and also offer an easy way to drain any potential oil that may accumulate through the crank case vent. This will prevent your Spyder from ingesting oil into the engine.

Q: What gas should I run in my Aerocharged Spyder?
A: Premium 91 Octane is the minimum. If 92 and 93 Octane are available in your area, those will work as well.

Q: My manual says to run 87 Octane in my Spyder, why should I run premium with the Aerocharger?
A: The Spyder has a static compression ratio of 9:1 (despite what the literature says) and is tuned to run on lower octane fuels from the factory. The AeroCommander tunes the Spyder for boost and is optimized to take advantage of premium fuels.

Q: Can I run E85 or other ethanol blends in my Spyder?
A: E85 should NOT be ran in your Spyder, though blends containing 10% of Ethanol are fine as most premium fuels contain 10% Ethanol anyway.

Q: How does the Aerocharger turbo kit effect the traction and stability control systems on the Spyder?
A: It doesn't. Traction control only kicks in at 40MPH (assuming your in a straight line) and the Stability Control System is activated by yaw sensors when you turn corners. There are aftermarket sway bars available to reduce the effects of the Stability Control System.

Q: How long does it take to install the Aerocharger turbo kit?
A: A person with average mechanical knowledge and a set of metric tools should have no problem installing this kit in an afternoon.

Q: What's a metric wrench? Maybe I should have someone else install this for me?
A: Most bike shops and Spyder dealers should have competent mechanics available to install the Aerocharger turbo kit. Please contact your local dealer for estimated labor charges should you feel that professional help may be needed.

Q: I just bought a new aftermarket muffler, why can't I use it with the Aerocharger Turbo kit?
A: We insert a wide-band O2 sensor and have a custom pipe exiting the turbo. Factory and aftermarket slip on mufflers will require modification. In addition the Aerocharger turbo reduces the sound exiting the exhaust with a specifically tuned muffler for our turbochargers and more importantly the Spyder in conjunction with it. Trust us, it sounds GREAT!

Q: Do I need to run any different oil in my Spyder for this turbo?
A: The Aerocharger has self contained lubrication and requires no modification to the oiling system or the oil that is used. Use the BRP recommended oil, and check your oil often. Your Aerocharged Spyder will make more power and typically vehicles with more power are harder on oil. You may want to look at changing oil and filters in slightly shorter intervals to ensure the longest life out of your engine.

Q: Will this turbo kit void my warranty?
A: Putting an aftermarket muffler on could void your warranty depending on the circumstances. Our testing shows that the Spyder Rotax engine is a very capable engine to support our kit, but it is up to your local dealer to determine if this bolt-on performance enhancement will void your warranty.

Q: Will the Aerocharger turbo kit "damage" my Spyder?
A: Absolutely not. Many Spyder owners carry multiple people, pull trailers, and mount all kinds of accessories on their bikes. The factory clutch and belt are specifically designed to handle increased load. If you have any concerns about your clutch, Barnett Performance makes an aftermarket clutch kit that your authorized Spyder dealer can install.

Q: Is the Aerocharger turbo kit emissions legal?
A: This is a good question and it could vary state to state. What we can say is that the Spyder has a very lean fuel tune from the factory for emissions purposes. This is why many Spyder owners report high engine temps and why many people look at aftermarket fuel controllers. The Aerocommander and our tune for the Spyder will keep the Spyders motor safe by adding additional fuel to compensate for boost and idle characteristics. You may or may not have emissions issues, but you do have the capability of trimming the fuel curve just in case you have issues during inspection.

Lamonster
02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
How much boost????

asmdjackal
02-18-2010, 11:36 AM
How much boost????
That is a good question that will be finalized once the production parts are dyno'd and the final tune is complete. On the "pre-production" parts I was seeing 6PSI, but the final production parts could vary a little.

I believe the final tuning/boost setting will be dictated by 91 Octane. If that comes in safe at 6PSI and nets the 40-50% power increase... should be good to go. I wouldn't complain if I could get the 40-50% increase with less boost.. at the end of the day, I don't care what the boost level is, I just want the final power and the ability to run on a min of 91 octane premium fuel. And I surely wouldn't buy one persons turbo kit over the others just because they "make more boost". Its the ramp up of that boost and the usability of it that is what we feel in the seat of our pants! :2thumbs: Thats where I think you'll find that the Aerocharger technology in general can do some wicked stuff - like ZERO LAG! Alot more usable torque and boost down low, etc..

Back to the boost piece: The good news is that if you have 93 in your area, or if you want to run 100 octane/race gas mixes, there is nothing stopping you from increasing the boost (moderately) on the kit. But at that point your responsible for monitoring the wideband, and making the fuel adjustments to the Aerocommander, etc..

What I mean by the "moderate" statement above is if you try to put 118 octane in it and think your going to run 22PSI... well... thats a bit much and the stock Spyder fuel system/injectors probably can't handle that. So moderate probably means 2-3 more PSI of boost.. but again, that depends on what the Aerocharger folks list in the final boost specs after final tuning has been done to achieve target performance increases.

Firefly
02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
:thumbup:

Thanks for listing this info..... sounds pretty good.

A few other questions come to mind:

When do they think they'll be shipping?

What type of air filter does it now use?

Any problems if running in the rain if the filter is outside?

What kind of warranty does it come with?

Just Doo Me
02-19-2010, 12:29 AM
How much boost do you need??

BLACK WIDOW
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
:thumbup:

Thanks for listing this info..... sounds pretty good.

A few other questions come to mind:

When do they think they'll be shipping?

What type of air filter does it now use?

Any problems if running in the rain if the filter is outside?

What kind of warranty does it come with?

All pertinent questions. I am Watching this with cautious optimism.:doorag: