PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your Spyder Clean

westgl
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know if this has already been posted, or is common knowledge, But, I hope this helps someone.

As you ride, through water, dirt and grim get on your Spyder.

I was riding my Goldwing and rode through a butterfly migration, Looked like ketchup, & Mustard all over the front of the bike.

All That dried as I rode and was hard to get off at the end of a days ride.

A old Goldwing trick to keep your Spyder clean. Actually this is a trick that Truckers used to use.

NOTE: I have not used it on the seat.

Dried bugs, road grim can sometimes be hard to remove, especially while you are on the road, and away from home.

I use a can of Lemon Pledge, and a microfiber cloth (get them at wally world) this cleans the whole bike including the windshield, painted surfaces, plastic.

1. Spray Lemon pledge on the rag, (Not directly on the surface).

2. Wipe on the Lemon Pledge with a Microfiber rag.

3. Wipe off with a clean Microfiber rag.

(Microfiber will/may not scratch) Make sure it is a Microfiber cloth.

This takes the hard to clean dried on bugs off the Windshield/Paint/Plastic/Helmets really good and keeps your windshield very clear/clean.

It is easier than washing with soap and water(soap & water removes some wax ever time it is done)

I used it on mine already. Works Great, smells good

I put a small can of Lemon Pledge in the bike with a Microfiber rag. That way the bike stays clean even on the road. (Like a trip to Daytona)

A can should last for quite a few whole bike cleanings.

Lemon pledge seems to wash and wax at the same time.

Disclaimer, Do this at your own risk, Don't blame me if your paint peals, your engine falls out, or your windshield melts, rear tire falls off, Passenger ejects, or anything else that might occur.

Westgl

retread
02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Actually, Pledge works great to clean vinyl seats, I'd use saddle soap on leather, though.

john

groundeffect
02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Interesting post and comments/suggestions.

Do you have any suggestions for those of us tho ride through winter months and expose their vehicles (Spyers) to road salt and such?

Any comments on what is so different from riding a Spyder or truck or car in the winter under the same conditions. Generally most people do not undercoat their cars/trucks on a regular basis, or wash them regularly in the winter months. Why should Spyders be any different?

Thanks again for your suggestions on washing.

This thread may also be of use:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10404&highlight=clean

Cheers and Ryde Safe.

groundeffect
02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
PS - I have used Simple Green for cleaning the panels and also works on rims, but requires more elbow grease on the rims.

http://canada.simplegreen.com/images/prod_ps_max_lg.jpg%3C/a%3E
http://canada.simplegreen.com/images/prod_ps_max_lg.jpg (http://canada.simplegreen.com/images/prod_ps_max_lg.jpg)

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

NancysToy
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Old trick for bugs on a bike windshield is to lay a wet towel on the windshield for an hour or so first. Softens the bugs so the can be removed without scratching.

Lamonster
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
When I'm on the road I take a towel and soak it in hot water and then wipe it down. Breaks up all the bugs and road grime and then I just stick it back in my room. :doorag:

lawdogg357
02-17-2010, 02:43 PM
A wet dryer fabric softner sheet works great on dried bugs, especially the love bugs we have here in the south.nojoke

SpyderWolf
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
When I'm on the road I take a towel and soak it in hot water and then wipe it down. Breaks up all the bugs and road grime and then I just stick it back in my room. :doorag:

:thumbup: That is why you should always ask for extra towels when checking into the hotel.

I also use a spray called Original Bike Spirits. I believe it used to be called Honda Wipedown. I wash it every once in a while with Suzuki Motorcycle Wash, and use Eagle One Nano Wax to coat everything after that.

irish2themax
02-18-2010, 05:51 AM
I also use a spray called Original Bike Spirits.

:agree:

jima1153
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
These are all good ideas. I use windex w/ microfiber cloth on the windshield and armor all cleaner on the everything but the painted black plastic. For that I use some type of pink wax cleaner that my buddy gave me. works great but I don't know the brand name.

burg650
02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
What I do is ride between them, seems to work for me just kidding. What I have use is a warm rag to get it soft and have used on my cars bug&tar remover as well if the warm rag does not work but then I have to put a coat of wax after.

TicketBait
02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
went and got the Lemon pledge today will try it tomorrow. thanks

syclemom
02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
We have been using Pledge for years since a boat dealer told me about it years ago because it will not scratch the gelcoat on a boat which causes white haze wax causes, works great on bikes easy to use , cost effective compared to products supposed to be for motorcycles about half, we buy by case at dollar store,

groundeffect
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Has anyone actually used the BRP cleaning/detailing kit?

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/Content/209/CanAmSpyder/neutral/images/catalogs/products/219701712_FT_MD.jpg

Wondering what the results are - I have a kit the dealer gave me, but not used it yet.
:dontknow:

DynamoBT
02-19-2010, 03:18 PM
The only thing I don't like about Lemon Pledge is that it attracts bees.

I hate bees. HATE them!!

MouthPiece
02-19-2010, 03:48 PM
The only thing I don't like about Lemon Pledge is that it attracts bees.

I hate bees. HATE them!!

Marilyn, Concerned Spyder Owner

Especially the yellow and black ones?

TicketBait
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/Content/209/CanAmSpyder/neutral/images/catalogs/products/219701712_FT_MD.jpg

Wondering what the results are - I have a kit the dealer gave me, but not used it yet.

I was told by someone that has used these products that they are very good . I told them about lemon pledge today, and they said they had heard it works good too, but suggested I use Plexiglas on the windshield and my helmet face mask. Just so happens I have it already :thumbup:

Dang my :spyder2: smells like a nice piece of furniture now :D

frank3
02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
These are all good ideas. I use windex w/ microfiber cloth on the windshield and armor all cleaner on the everything but the painted black plastic. For that I use some type of pink wax cleaner that my buddy gave me. works great but I don't know the brand name.
If you read the Windex bottle, it contains amonia. A real NO NO for plexiglass and not very nice to painted surfaces.

dave01
02-19-2010, 05:49 PM

I didnt know BRP had a detailing kit:opps::opps:

groundeffect
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I didnt know BRP had a detailing kit:opps::opps:

Hey, it's even on the BRP website under Spyder accessories:

http://spyder.brp.com/GearsAccessories/en-US/Product-Detail/219701712

Cheers.

NancysToy
02-19-2010, 07:13 PM
If you read the Windex bottle, it contains amonia. A real NO NO for plexiglass and not very nice to painted surfaces.
:agree: Use the Windex Multi-Surface Cleaner with vinegar. It has never harmed any of my collector vehicles, helmets, etc. I prefer the Turtle Wax Ice products for polishes. They never leave a white residue...even if you accidentally get some on the vinyl or rubber.

SpyderWolf
02-19-2010, 09:49 PM

If I got it for free I would definitely test it out and see how well it works. Once you do that, please let the rest of us know. :D

groundeffect
02-19-2010, 10:00 PM
If I got it for free I would definitely test it out and see how well it works. Once you do that, please let the rest of us know. :D

I will. Right now I'm finishing up the last bottle of my other clearly, and this box is the next in line.

I wonder if I should wax the plastic with the supplied wax, maybe it would be a good move for the winter riding conditions?

Cheers.

SpyderWolf
02-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I will. Right now I'm finishing up the last bottle of my other clearly, and this box is the next in line.

I wonder if I should wax the plastic with the supplied wax, maybe it would be a good move for the winter riding conditions?

Cheers.

I have been using the Eagle One Nano Wax on all the parts of my Spyder. It also dries clear so you don't need to wait for it to dry to a haze and then buff it out. :thumbup:

YPILOT
02-20-2010, 09:38 PM
I use Dry Wash on my roadster for a while to clean and shine from nose to tail. The black vinal panels eventually started to haze white so I clean those now with a product called black chrome. This can be found at most auto stores. Makes them look new.

westgl
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Glad to hear some people are using the Lemon Pledge.

I Never have washed my Goldwing, But I Lemon pledge it, and it is so much easier and produces a washed & waxed surface.

It is so simple, Dried bugs come off almost instantly, The Pledge almost dissolves the bugs, but does not haze.

Cleans a windshield like new in seconds.

To clean the whole Spyder takes maybe 5 Minutes at the most, That includes the windshield. The surface is Cleaned & waxed when your done.

But you must use one Microfiber towel to wipe on & another for wiping off.

Your wipe on MF towel should only be used for wipe on.

The wipe on towel will be dirtier than the wipe off towel.

This way you wipe off towel stays clean & dry.

Westgl

TicketBait
02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
thanks for the advise, this is exactly what i am doing now, woohoo lemon pledge!

Yazz
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Pledge is great stuff! Used it to clean the airplanes windscreens using well washed, old t-shirt rags. (This was before microfiber cloths were invented.)

The one thing that was always stressed was to wipe in an up-and-down instead of circular motion to keep 'whirls' from forming. It helps extend the optical clarity of the windscreen.

Bugs the beegees out of me to go to a gas station and see people grab those free blue paper towels and start scrubbing away on their windscreens. :gaah:

LittleJohn
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
A wet dryer fabric softner sheet works great on dried bugs, especially the love bugs we have here in the south.nojoke

:agree: 100%

docdoru
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/herjob-1.jpg?t=1268094420

DynamoBT
03-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh that's priceless!!! Good find, Doc!!!

docdoru
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh that's priceless!!! Good find, Doc!!!
:opps:

effgjamis
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM

With a tip for the maid......:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

obiwanbill
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Motel mgrs get pissed at bikers that do that. Better idea, ask mgr for some old towels that you can use on the bike. They usually will go overboard helping as they don't want their good stuff ruined by grease.

Last place, the guy gave me some towels, offered a large bucket (those little ice buckets in the room are useless) and anything else I wanted. :ohyea:

DragonSpyder
03-09-2010, 06:51 PM
I find nothing works as well as Plexus for cleaning just about anything plastic. It is pricey though!

Lamonster
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Motel mgrs get pissed at bikers that do that. Better idea, ask mgr for some old towels that you can use on the bike. They usually will go overboard helping as they don't want their good stuff ruined by grease.

Last place, the guy gave me some towels, offered a large bucket (those little ice buckets in the room are useless) and anything else I wanted. :ohyea:
I agree about washing your bike with hotel towels, I'm talking about cleaning the bugs off the windshield. There shouldn't be any grease on it.