PDA

View Full Version : Problem popping left side middle panel

MouthPiece
02-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm having difficulty popping the left side middle panel to check my oil on the RTS. I'm no gear head. Barely know how to turn my spyder on. There's three gromets and what appears to be a hook or hinge. I'm afraid that I'm going to break or crack something if I pull too hard. Any suggestions for this newbie? (other than sell my spyder)

Lamonster
02-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Pull harder. :D I start from the back and pop those loose first.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=5947

NancysToy
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with Lamont. Try to pull the bottom out first in the rear, too. I also suggest pulling firmly while wiggling it slightly. If you continue to have problems, a very tiny bit of silicone grease (O-ring lubricant) on the rubbers may help.

Ken5517 / Wish Again
02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Pull harder. :D I start from the back and pop those loose first.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=5947

After removal check to make sure that the grouments are still there.

I have lost 2 upper right grouments.

NancysToy
02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
After removal check to make sure that the grouments are still there.

I have lost 2 upper right grouments.
Thanks for the reminder, Ken. A little silicone O-ring lube helps prevent that. I will glue mine down as soon as the weather warms. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive works OK. I use that for my BMW grommets, which do the same thing.

Lamonster
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
FYI, I wouldn't lube up those pins or grommets too much, the side panels have been known to fly off going down the road. nojoke

NancysToy
02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
FYI, I wouldn't lube up those pins or grommets too much, the side panels have been known to fly off going down the road. nojoke
True! As I said previously, just a tiny bit...and nothing with petroleum, which will rot the rubber. I use a silicon grease (that is kind of sticky) and just put a tiny dab on my finger, then rub it around the center of the hole until it is a bit shiny, but there is no visible grease. I then wipe the grommets off lightly with a rag. Another alternative for installing the panels is a bit of spit on the peg, but it won't help you get them off.

MouthPiece
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!