PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Keys and keyring

RShrimp
02-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Ok , so my first real question after purchase.

The Keys ...... WTF!!! There is no hole in them for a key ring!

I know that they have a "chip" in them so drilling is out unless you know exactly where to drill.

What have you come up with to solve this issue?
I was thinking of putting some small vice grips on my key ring:yikes: and then just clamping the key in them:dontknow:

Thanks in advance for the solutions.

groundeffect
02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I can remember seeing a picture of a key with a hole in it, somewhere on the forum. However, I'm not sure if it was 'through the chip', destroying it, but I did notice, in the photo ( that I can't seem to find right now ) the drilled hole was off to one side, if I am not mistaken.

Either way, be careful, those keys are expensive.

Also note that when I picked up my keys (two came with my RS 2010), plastic covers came over the metal key section. The keys snapped into them. On the bottom of them was a hole for a keyring to fit through.

I have not put my Spyder keys on a keyring using the plastic holder, as I think it is possible it could come out if you are unlucky. I just keep my Spyder key separate from my other keys. I also like having the ignition clear and clean of other keys getting tossed around.

Hope that helps.

DynamoBT
02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
FWIW, I've never had the key come out of the key holder thingy. Now granted, I don't have them clipped to my belt and walk all over creation tempting fate. But the key snaps very solidly into the holder thing.

Anyway, never had a problem losing the key while off the Spyder during a ryde. Don't think I'd want to take my chances hoping I missed all the critical components in the key when drilling it.

Just my feelings on the matter.

RShrimp
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Maybe Docdoru could MRI one of them and see where the chip is??????????

groundeffect
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
FWIW, I've never had the key come out of the key holder thingy. Now granted, I don't have them clipped to my belt and walk all over creation tempting fate. But the key snaps very solidly into the holder thing.

Anyway, never had a problem losing the key while off the Spyder during a ryde. Don't think I'd want to take my chances hoping I missed all the critical components in the key when drilling it.

Just my feelings on the matter.

I wouldn't take a chance on drilling the key either. Glad to hear you've had good luck with the key holder. I agree with you, that it is a solid fit.

cheers.

COOLMACHINE
02-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I've ridden my Spyder for 15 thousand miles now and have never lost a key...... Unless I forget to put it in it's black case. It fits very securely in it's black case. I like it.

NancysToy
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
The keyholders have served us well for two years. I don't like other keys on a ring to scratch the console. Our keys (and holders) do stay in our pockets when not on the Spyder though, on a fob, not hanging from a belt clip. We don't keep too many other keys on that ring, just the saddlebag keys.

SpyderByter
02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
The keyholders have served us well for two years. I don't like other keys on a ring to scratch the console. Our keys (and holders) do stay in our pockets when not on the Spyder though, on a fob, not hanging from a belt clip. We don't keep too many other keys on that ring, just the saddlebag keys.

In the pants pockets, not the jacket. Too many keys get locked in the trunk after the driver stips off a jacket and throws it in the trunk. Now, if you are in the habit of also stripping off your pants when you get off of the Spyder, you should stick the key somewhere else!

:lecturef_smilie:

TreeHillSpyder
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
In the pants pockets, not the jacket. Too many keys get locked in the trunk after the driver stips off a jacket and throws it in the trunk. Now, if you are in the habit of also stripping off your pants when you get off of the Spyder, you should stick the key somewhere else!

Classic, SpyderByter, Classic... :roflblack::agree:

NancysToy
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
In the pants pockets, not the jacket. Too many keys get locked in the trunk after the driver strips off a jacket and throws it in the trunk. Now, if you are in the habit of also stripping off your pants when you get off of the Spyder, you should stick the key somewhere else!

You say that like it was a bad thing? :roflblack::thumbup:

Also, forget the purse, for the same reason. Nancy did that and cost me a four hour round trip back home on my BMW to get her spare key, which now stays in my (pants) pocket. Good time for the noobs to search up the "emergency trunk release" threads.

SpyderWolf
02-10-2010, 10:17 PM

+2 I don't even use the key cover anymore at this point. I just carry the key in my pants pocket whenever it is not in the ignition.

Lamonster
02-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Not my key but it can be done.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=4878

Dudley
02-10-2010, 10:43 PM

The keyholder is there for a purpose. So far it has never failed us. Why try and cause a problem with the key when there is no need? Carry the key in it, take the key out to use it, put it back in the keyholder when done. No fuss no bother.
Also a good idea when going a bit away from home to carry the spare key securely on your person just in case you lose or lock the other one.

LDFIREWORKS
02-10-2010, 11:59 PM
has the answer :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

SpyderGirl
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I used a hot sodering iron and went through the head just about where the metal meets the head in that little rounded indentation. The sodering iron will melt right through the plastic and the metal key is open right there.

I have to admit though, the plastic sheath it came with hasn't failed me yet and it's been 2 years and you risk scratching the console... I did.

Just a thought.

bone crusher
02-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Simple question...

What is wrong with the key holder it comes with? I have a ring through that and I attach other keys to it. Why anyone would want to drill a hole through the key handle and risk destroying the key's sensitive 'chip' is beyond me...plus, as per Lamont's picture, it looks horrible.

I have never had an issue with the key and its sheath...I've even been at home watching TV and fiddled with snapping the key in and out...probably thousands of times...never an issue.

The key sheath is really cool and quite functional. No other cars/bikes I've ever seen have this setup...definitely unique...very cool...

the nicko
02-11-2010, 04:17 AM
find this on the net mod to key

docdoru
02-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Maybe Docdoru could MRI one of them and see where the chip is??????????
X Ray only...at 1.5 Tesla the key is going to be stuck forever in the MR...:D

RShrimp
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM
All very good info.

Lots of "Why not use the holder" replies.

My response:
Until now I did not know about the holders as I did not get them with mine. I would not want a bunch of keys up there either but a key for the GIVI bags would be nice along with my lucky Budwieser Green Lizard bottle opener key ring. (That keyring has made a lot of miles on a lot of bikes with me)
http://img.thefind.com/images/WQBbniDqOo1hGkOmBAtDWk5-eWpRcXxiXkp8emZaSTFDRklJgZW-fmqBXmVmbrpecn6ufnKivqd-ZUZxia6xiaGFiamFqaWZoYGRWbyRgYVlvIWZsbGxgYkBAwMA?m =1&g=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/buy-5hkDdCf6a?result_view_id=16ba7b7b0dc21f20cc9e85922 8f0c8f8%3A0003&result_impression_id=16ba7b7b0dc21f20cc9e859228f0c 8f8%3A0005&srcquery=lizard+bottle+opener)

So, off to the dealer to get a couple of holders.
Sounds like an excuse to go for a ride!

To Doc: Ahhh Yes, that whole "Magnetic RI"

I dont think it works quite like in that Bones episode when it sucked the gun out of the FBI guys hand from 10 feet away but I see your point.

dave01
02-11-2010, 08:16 AM
I never had the key fall out of the plastic holder, but both of them broke where the hole was in the end of them. One went into the trash at Deals gap and one disappeared on a ryde somewhere. Forrest had a solution to this problem.

MadDogMN
02-11-2010, 08:42 AM
My solution to the problem is: I don't take the key out of the ignition

RShrimp
02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Stopped by the dealer today and ordered a key holder.
$11 Wooh!

It was a good chance to talk shop with them though.

bikeguy
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM

I like that solution. It's nice to live amongst honest people.

Cotton

Dudley
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
$11 Wooh!

It was a good chance to talk shop with them though.

If you bought the Spyder new, each key should have had a keyholder. If not, BRP owes you 2 holders without cost...unless that has all changed on new Spyders.

wyliec
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
If you bought the Spyder new, each key should have had a keyholder. If not, BRP owes you 2 holders without cost...unless that has all changed on new Spyders.

He bought it from Dave01 and Dave said the holders broke.

Dragonrider
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Use the holder - I have mine on a ring, clipped to my belt - just pull it out of the holder to use…

dave01
02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Use the holder - I have mine on a ring, clipped to my belt - just pull it out of the holder to use…

Thats what I was doing until the rings broke off the holders. I guess I am harder on keys than most people are.:opps::opps::opps:

Spyder man
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Just drilled a hole in it the chip is were the metal meets the plastic. I have Drilled 4 keys now for 2 my bike and 2 for the wife's bike they all work.

SpyderGirl
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I think the reason people want to put a ring through the key because it can be easy to forget the key is still in the ignition. I've done it a few times myself.

M2Wild
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I have my key holder attached to the alarm fob (in pocket while riding). The setup also has a quick disconnect from my main key ring (in trunk while riding). I never forget the key because the fob is connected to the holder. When done, the whole setup gets connected back onto the main ring.

RShrimp
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I like the automatic theroy. (I dont like extra steps if they can be avoided.)
Here is what I ended up with thanks to all the suggestions on the board

First I drilled a hole in the key. 3/16 right at the top just missing the grey area.
I tried one and it worked fine so I drilled the other one as well and it also worked fine. (This way all my extra keys can be on one ring.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=647&pictureid=7675

To avoid the possible issue of things flopping around while riding, I simply added a bit of industrial strength velcro from Wally world to the back of the alarm remote and the console where the remote hangs natually.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=647&pictureid=7674

I just insert key and start as normal. The velcro catches the remote on it's own and keeps the flopping at bay.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=647&pictureid=7673

Now my Green Lizard can enjoy the ride!

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I kind of used all your ideas to come up with my own.
This is exactly how these forums are suppose to work!:2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Very nice solution. Thanks for sharing. You've passed your initiation, Grasshopper. Your membership certificate will be in the mail...LOL. :D

bone crusher
02-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, get your holders...they more than do the trick...plus, when you're bored, you can sit around and listen for that 'sharp' clicking noise you get when the key locks in...cool...

The key holder really eliminates the need to drill an ugly hole in the key...you'll be happy with the holder...I wonder why they didn't give you the holders in the first place?

As far as the MRI strength goes, they're up to 3 tesla, but there are other factors beyond the tesla that determine the quality of the film. For many reasons, I now refer for motion MRI as it gives us a lot more information. As far as the magnet pulling metal across the room...yes, this can happen!

All very good info.

My response:
Until now I did not know about the holders as I did not get them with mine. I would not want a bunch of keys up there either but a key for the GIVI bags would be nice along with my lucky Budwieser Green Lizard bottle opener key ring. (That keyring has made a lot of miles on a lot of bikes with me)
http://img.thefind.com/images/WQBbniDqOo1hGkOmBAtDWk5-eWpRcXxiXkp8emZaSTFDRklJgZW-fmqBXmVmbrpecn6ufnKivqd-ZUZxia6xiaGFiamFqaWZoYGRWbyRgYVlvIWZsbGxgYkBAwMA?m =1&g=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/buy-5hkDdCf6a?result_view_id=16ba7b7b0dc21f20cc9e85922 8f0c8f8%3A0003&result_impression_id=16ba7b7b0dc21f20cc9e859228f0c 8f8%3A0005&srcquery=lizard+bottle+opener)

I dont think it works quite like in that Bones episode when it sucked the gun out of the FBI guys hand from 10 feet away but I see your point.

SpyderWolf
02-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Great solution RShrimp! Thanks for posting the pictures of what you did to solve your problem. :thumbup:

Desert Spyder
02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Don't trust the BRP key holders! I lost a key 1 week after getting the bike while it was hanging from a belt loop along with my other keys. Either I didn't had it snapped in all the way or it caught on something. It was a $95 lesson!
Right now my plastic holder is mated to the ID lanyard we got at the owners rally so its less likely to hook on anything. My wife carries the extra key on her person when we travel.

shannonnichols
09-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I just bought my 2008 Spyder. It did not come with the key holder just the key. Where can i buy the holder? The dealership won't return my calls. Maybe because in my message i called it a "thingamajiggy". :joke:

SpydeRider2010
09-25-2012, 06:45 PM
your dealerships Parts Dept. can help you with that. it's the sleeve that fits over the key. :)

kyspyder
09-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Here is the part # for the key cover:

Roadster

Cover

Bob Denman
09-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Question: If you drill a hole in the key for a ring, are you exposing the electricals inside to moisture and dust and problems?? :shocked: :dontknow:

mick ruhdorf
09-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi all i got around this problem by buying a rubber key protector for a bmw car key only cost about 6 bucks.
54225 cheers mick

rc51ny
09-26-2012, 06:07 AM
That's what I've been looking for. How about some more info on where you got it and how much $$? Thanks!

Hi all i got around this problem by buying a rubber key protector for a bmw car key only cost about 6 bucks.
54225 cheers mick

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 06:49 AM
I kind of like that too! :thumbup: A little more info; please...

Ga Blue Knight
09-26-2012, 06:57 AM

And what was your exact address again? Just kidding but I'd be sure my insurance was paid up.

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
:roflblack: Oh... :shocked:
Theft is theft here in New York. I'm not sure if leaving the keys in a vehicle is treated the same in all States though. Some research may be wise... :thumbup:

Adirondack Mik
09-26-2012, 07:19 AM
I kind of like that too! :thumbup: A little more info; please...

I found what Mick used at www.thejacketstore.com, BMW cover $6.99.

SteveMac
09-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Simple question...

What is wrong with the key holder it comes with? I have a ring through that and I attach other keys to it. Why anyone would want to drill a hole through the key handle and risk destroying the key's sensitive 'chip' is beyond me...plus, as per Lamont's picture, it looks horrible.

I have never had an issue with the key and its sheath...I've even been at home watching TV and fiddled with snapping the key in and out...probably thousands of times...never an issue.

The key sheath is really cool and quite functional. No other cars/bikes I've ever seen have this setup...definitely unique...very cool...

Simple answer.
I like having my Garage door opener FOB handy when I pull into the driveway. Ugly? In the eye if the beholder....;)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/9ajydamy.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/26/yqa4anyd.jpg

Bob Denman
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I found what Mick used at www.thejacketstore.com (http://www.thejacketstore.com), BMW cover $6.99.

Thanks Mik! :2thumbs:

mick ruhdorf
09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
I found what Mick used at www.thejacketstore.com (http://www.thejacketstore.com), BMW cover $6.99.

yeah thats it all diffrent types and colours.

cheers mick

rc51ny
10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Just got mine from this place--works great! $6.99 + free shipping

MouthPiece
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
You could always order an IPS key holder from Lamont.

Chris

Bob Denman
10-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I tried the IPS...
I just could not wrap my feeble brain around the idea that the key was no longer visible to the unitiated... :shocked:
So I still ended up carrying around a big hunk of very attractive aluminum in my pocket... :gaah:

MouthPiece
10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Just ordered two of those rubber BMW jobber dinkers for my soon to be keys.

Chris

Tank
11-10-2012, 09:42 AM
:shemademe_smilie:
Ok , so my first real question after purchase.

The Keys ...... WTF!!! There is no hole in them for a key ring!

I know that they have a "chip" in them so drilling is out unless you know exactly where to drill.

What have you come up with to solve this issue?
I was thinking of putting some small vice grips on my key ring:yikes: and then just clamping the key in them:dontknow:

Thanks in advance for the solutions.

ulflyer
11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
The keyholder is there for a purpose. So far it has never failed us. Why try and cause a problem with the key when there is no need? Carry the key in it, take the key out to use it, put it back in the keyholder when done. No fuss no bother.
Also a good idea when going a bit away from home to carry the spare key securely on your person just in case you lose or lock the other one.

What does this keyholder look like? I dont recall seeing such a critter in/on my RT. In fact, can't find spare key and just finished paying nearly $80 to get a new one, having it cut, and then programmed by the dealer. Maybe the mysterious keyholder...wherever it is....has my orig spare key.

Gordy
11-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I carry my key in the holder on a lanyard around my neck whan im off the spyder just drop it down the front of my shirt.Never know its there until you go to ride.I somtimes carry both keys this way

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Since so many riders are looking for ways to attach these keys to a keyring (without that BRP keyholder thingie!); do you think that BRP will ever just give in and drill the hole in a safe place for us all? :shocked:

Jharpo
11-13-2012, 03:48 PM

That reply sounded like a Bob Denman answer

vt228
11-16-2012, 11:02 AM
gust get a IPS from lamonster its better I think Vet228:ohyea:

bmwlarry
11-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Can somebody post a photo of the oem key holder? I bought mine with 200 miles on it and I do not remember anything to hold the key.

Bob Denman
11-16-2012, 06:08 PM
I had it in my pocket this evening...
I hope that it helps! :thumbup:

SteveMac
11-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Can somebody post a photo of the oem key holder? I bought mine with 200 miles on it and I do not remember anything to hold the key.

Larry,
I'd gladly send mine to you if you want the factory holders. I have two of them. Brand new, never used!

Just PM me your address. ;)

cacrane
04-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Here are two additional links to Key Fob covers. They are leather and inexpensive.

http://www.clickerslickers.com/product/RTKeyCover

http://www.remotetotes.com/orderform/

SPYD3R
04-07-2013, 07:11 AM
i read the article yesterday about METAL IN OIL and he showed a representation of what was in his oil by way of this picture
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65936&d=1365285835

here's the link: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50755-Metal-in-oil-should-I

Bob Denman
04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
That's the safest spot to stick a hole in them! :thumbup: (I noticed that also...)

Dan McNally
08-06-2013, 08:55 PM

+1

Blue Star
08-06-2013, 09:48 PM

:agree: I too have mine on a ring with my house key, a key for my storage space (where I park my bike), and a key for my trailer.

I have lost my key two times, and each time because I got out of a seat When I got out of the seat the key pulled free because it was pinched between my body and the seat.

Yet, these two instances have not stopped me from using the sheath. I just double check when I get out of a car or restaurant booth.

MarkLawson
08-07-2013, 07:31 AM
$11 Wooh!

Like every other plastic part for the Spyder, it's made of the good (expensive) stuff: 25k plastic!

Bob Denman
08-07-2013, 08:20 AM
This has also recently come up in here...
http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/apriliachipkey.html
It sure looks like a viable option! :thumbup:

DRTSB
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Lamonster has some pictures that show the Spyder key cut in half, it shows you where you can safely drill a hole, heres the link.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?21742-Where-you-can-and-can-not-drill-your-key&highlight=keyring

Dave ;)

Bob Denman
08-07-2013, 01:12 PM
This one already has the keyring hole in it...73293 It's much easeir for those of us who are nervous about drilling holes in things. :shocked:

DRTSB
08-07-2013, 01:32 PM
This one already has the keyring hole in it...73293 It's much easeir for those of us who are nervous about drilling holes in things. :shocked:

Agreed, but when you send him your key, he keeps the code, something about that scares me

Dave :sour:

Bob Denman
08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
I think that he's in Hawaii; where's he gonna hide? :D

firstshirt
08-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Lots of great ideas here about keys and holders. my solution to the problem is to put the holder on a lanyard around my neck when out for a ride. it also reminds to take the out when i stop. on really long rides i do carry the spare with in the trunk. no problem there because i now have a non chipped key that will open the both trunks and that key is on a key ring that i carry in pants pocket.

Chupaca
08-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Sheath has worked well. Lamont has the IPS key holder fir those who like the system, BMW makes a holder that works with Can Am keys and there are some others that have started making holders. I just ordered blank from lockpicks.com $7.95 had my local lock smith clone and cut $30.00 and the key has a hole in it. There you have a few solutions. :ohyea:

pwm
08-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Sheath has worked well. Lamont has the IPS key holder fir those who like the system, BMW makes a holder that works with Can Am keys and there are some others that have started making holders. I just ordered blank from lockpicks.com $7.95 had my local lock smith clone and cut $30.00 and the key has a hole in it. There you have a few solutions. :ohyea:Which key blank did you get from them?

porterb123
08-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Which key blank did you get from them?

RW (ZD23RT5) JMA

ryo
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Unless I missed it in reading, but a small company makes leather Spyder key holders. they are a little expensive - $25.00 plus shipping and handling (about $6.00 in my case). they had quick service and it is a very nice product the URL for them is

http://buschandbusch.bigcartel.com/product/can-am-spyder-key-cover

DR Buck
09-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Unless I missed it in reading, but a small company makes leather Spyder key holders. they are a little expensive - $25.00 plus shipping and handling (about $6.00 in my case). they had quick service and it is a very nice product the URL for them is

http://buschandbusch.bigcartel.com/product/can-am-spyder-key-cover

I've got these on both of my keys. They look and work great.

pwm
09-12-2013, 06:58 PM
:agree:

whitjim10
09-12-2013, 07:40 PM
75588I USE MY KEY HOLDER WORKS FINE NO PROBLEM

cabodan
09-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe try looking at this site for your key covers and get the BMW covers.
FOBKEYLESS.COM

bigsims330
12-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I got one off ebay took it to my locksmith and he cloned my key and it only took about a second

Dan McNally
12-01-2013, 10:07 AM
This one looks good, too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-SPYDER-KEY-HOLDER-KEY-SAVER-/261332482499?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd8a139c3&vxp=mtr

Bob Denman
12-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Do you have a link which can get the rest of us to that EBay vendor? ;)

ThreeWheels
12-01-2013, 12:12 PM
All very good info.

My response:

I've been using the plastic holder this for years now. I keep separate key rings for each vehicle, so I never have more than a couple of keys on the ring. The plastic holder has never failed me, but I keep the few keys in my pocket when not in use.

Other options, besides drilling the head of the key, I've seen people wrap the head of the key in leather which provides extra material where you can place a hole and grommet to hold the key to a ring.

I was going to post a picture of this, but whenever I do a Google search of leather wrapped key, all I get is pictures of Alicia Keyes wearing a leather bra........................................

Bob Denman
12-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I was going to post a picture of this, but whenever I do a Google search of leather wrapped key, all I get is pictures of Alicia Keyes wearing a leather bra........................................
And why didn't you post THAT?? :D