PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor - wires Too exposed?

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi there guys, from what I understand, here is the O2 Sensor on my 2010 RS:

If you look at the annotated areas in the images you'll notice the wires going directly into the sensor are exposed at the end of the covering.

I was just wondering if this was normal, also I was thinking of covering it with some split wire loom or something similar, to help protect it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=7595

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=635&pictureid=7596

Thoughts on this?

thank you in advance for your reply.
Cheers.

Magic Man
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
This is normal.

Now go out and ride it!:thumbup:
Mm

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
This is normal.

Now go out and ride it!:thumbup:
Mm

Well, still too much snow and slush around... But I did start my Spyder with the garage door open last night :D :D :D :D.

Thanks for the comment on this. Still think I may put some loom or something over it. It would take about 1min and may protect it a little.

thanks.

NancysToy
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't worry about it. The wires are sealed into the sensor, and the sheath only provides additional abrasion protection. There is nothing at that point to rub against the wires. The sheath is not really there to keep the crud off. If you keep up at this pace you will be remanufacturing the entire Spyder to your own specs. Enjoy the ride, take reasonable precautions, and trust your warranty for dealing with any defects.

SpyderWolf
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
If you keep up at this pace you will be remanufacturing the entire Spyder to your own specs.

That is not a bad idea at all! With the amount of snow up there he has some extra time on his hands, and this is probably the only thing that is keeping him from going crazy right now. :D

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the notes.

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 09:27 PM
With the amount of snow up there he has some extra time on his hands, and this is probably the only thing that is keeping him from going crazy right now. :D

You got it! :D I REALLY want to ride, but until then I'm enjoying taking a look under the panels and things. I also think it is very educational, for those like me, new to the Spyder, IMHO.

Neez
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Go for it, Grounds! Get yourself a shop manual and a handful of Dzus, and yank those panels frequently. You'll spot leaks, chaffing, loose fittings and such before they become real problems. And you'll know that baby like the back of your hand. For some folks wrenchin' is almost as much fun as rydin'.

bcspyder
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't worry, it will be OK. Get some rest.

watchman
02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Just leave them as they are. they will be fine. I covered the end of an O2 sensor with split loom once and it melted where it came in contact with the sensor. And we don’t want any more posted pictures of another unresolved Fire!!!!:gaah:

Sarge707
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.shspowersports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=960640&category=Motorcycles&make=Can-Am&year=2009&fveh=26247
\
The above link has ALL the fiche you need to get to know your :spyder2:.
Since Oct 09 I have had the tupperware off several times in fact the other day before the snow I rode around the neighborhood without Tail Turn Signals :hun:and only one brake light :yikes:to get a short ride before the storm!:roflblack:

I just bought maintenance parts there and their prices are much better than the dealer !!:2thumbs:

Latemarch
02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Just leave them as they are. they will be fine. I covered the end of an O2 sensor with split loom once and it melted where it came in contact with the sensor. And we don’t want any more posted pictures of another unresolved Fire!!!!:gaah:

:agree: The O2 sensor gets really really hot nojoke
Don't put nothing on there!

QuadManiac
02-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Woulda taken less time to add the wire loom than to type the post. :D

jgwoods
02-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Protect it from what?
The wires are sealed into the sensor, the covering protects the wiring as it wends its way along, and, if anything, adding something to cover that location will retain heat to the detriment of the existing insulation, or melt into an ugly mess.
Perhaps you should leave well enough alone.

groundeffect
02-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi there everyone, thank you for your time and comments on this.

Last week I did in fact add wire loom over the wire (not covering metal sensor as such - just enough to get a zip tie on the end of it).

HOWEVER, I have taken it OFF and it will remain as it was, stock from the factory to be sure fires will not start there, even though I did do a short ride with the loom installed covering the exposed wires.

Again, I have since taken it off, and the short ride with it on did not adversely affect the sensor or the loom. The loom was not melted in any way.

Thank you again for your comments on this topic, everyone!

Cheers,
Dean

txknight67
02-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Hi there everyone, thank you for your time and comments on this.

Last week I did in fact add wire loom over the wire (not covering metal sensor as such - just enough to get a zip tie on the end of it).

HOWEVER, I have taken it OFF and it will remain as it was, stock from the factory to be sure fires will not start there, even though I did do a short ride with the loom installed covering the exposed wires.

Again, I have since taken it off, and the short ride with it on did not adversely affect the sensor or the loom. The loom was not melted in any way.

Thank you again for your comments on this topic, everyone!

Cheers,
Dean

Don't let 'em get on ya too bad. I think that looks fugly as well. Those of us that get anal about such details gotta stick together.:roflblack: