PDA

View Full Version : Snow Storm - Taking the Panels off - Check for???

groundeffect
02-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey there, everyone. Just had a big snow storm here in Newfoundland... a great day to be in a heated garage :), checking over my Spyder and learning how things work and what things are, under the panels!

So, I'm taking the panels off (LEFT SIDE FIRST), then moving on to the RIGHT SIDE over the next day or so.

While I'm under the covers, do you have any suggestions of things I should check for, on my 2010 RS SM5? I have no doubt things are in order, since it's brand new, only 32km, but since it is snowing outside, I thought it wise to take a closer look at this amazing machine, and see if I can learn about it's internals.

I'm not looking to change anything under there, but I would like to check for simple things, like being sure all nuts and bolts are tight and in place, nothing is chafing, etc...

I've had a couple PMs about checking out things like chafing lines, checking the vent hose on the evap. can., etc... (thank you for those PMs, everyone, I've added your suggestions to 'check list'). Any other thoughts on what I can check for while the panels are off?

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?
Thanks

krb1945
02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
tension while your checking things. Sometimes they are much tighter than needed. If it is too tight you might get premature belt and bearing wear. /Ken

DragonSpyder
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Check the hose clamps on the fuel filter. Many have been loose causing small amounts of gas to leak.

retread
02-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Check ALL the hose clamps, tire pressure, fluid levels (it's good practice), if you want to, change the suspension settings, have fun, get to know your way around it.

john

SpyderWolf
02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
After you are done taking off the tupperware, you may want to take something we refer to as a "chill pill" and relax a tiny bit. :joke:

groundeffect
02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
have fun, get to know your way around it.

john

Thanks, John. You got it, that is what it's all about. Thanks for the replies.

boborgera
02-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Like YOGI said You can observe a lot just by looking. ;)

WackyDan
02-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Check the protective clamps that are along the edge of the gas tank. Mine were either on wrong or had vibrated to a different position...Causing chafing to the cables that run down past the tank.

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Like YOGI said You can observe a lot just by looking. ;)

:agree:
Agreed. Another reason I'm under the panels now is to take a couple photos and a real good look to 'set a base line', so over time if something does go out of place, I can refer back to the first group of pictures and see what it moved, or have it was, etc...

thanks.

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Check the protective clamps that are along the edge of the gas tank. Mine were either on wrong or had vibrated to a different position...Causing chafing to the cables that run down past the tank.

Thanks for the note. I've added it to my list!

SpyderWolf
02-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I have 4 new words for you: Eagle One Nano Wax :D

And, if you get a little too bored in the garage you can always check out: www.chopperdetailing.com (http://www.chopperdetailing.com) .

groundeffect
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I have 4 new words for you: Eagle One Nano Wax :D

And, if you get a little too bored in the garage you can always check out: www.chopperdetailing.com (http://www.chopperdetailing.com) .

:roflblack:

Thanks for the note. I'm still busy with the panels off. I took some photos also, sort of documenting it a little in case I need to go back and reference or review something later on. I'm hoping the forecast changes and it will be dry, soon!!

Cheers.

SpyderWolf
02-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I will add my hopes to yours that good weather will be heading your way soon. :pray: