PDA

View Full Version : Loose Mirrors on the RT

Lamonster
02-07-2010, 10:26 AM
When I received my last RT I was wiping it down when I noticed that both mirrors were loose. It is a little tricky to get all three pins to lock in right and they will still hold without them being locked in all the way.

It's been brought to my attention that a few RT's that are on the road now have loose mirrors. You might want to check yours and either fix them or take it back to your dealer and have them fix them. No tools are required.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=7551

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=5945

Ken5517 / Wish Again
02-07-2010, 10:38 AM
When I received my last RT I was wiping it down when I noticed that both mirrors were loose. It is a little tricky to get all three pins to lock in right and they will still hold without them being locked in all the way.

It's been brought to my attention that a few RT's that are on the road now have loose mirrors. You might want to check yours and either fix them or take it back to your dealer and have them fix them. No tools are required.

good pic :2thumbs:

remember that the bottom two connection points push in while the top slides in and push down.

be becareful not to try to pop it on as the connector is plastic and will break.

That's what I did on my 2nd RT be for I ever got out of the drive way. I had to order the part.

westgl
02-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Are you saying that it is the two screws that were not removed are causing the mirrors to be loose?

It's not clear for me.

I questioned my dealer about the loose mirrors on the test ride mule.

My :spyder2: is shipping Monday tomorrow.

Thanks

Westgl

Lamonster
02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Are you saying that it is the two screws that were not removed are causing the mirrors to be loose?

It's not clear for me.

I questioned my dealer about the loose mirrors on the test ride mule.

My :spyder2: is shipping Monday tomorrow.

Thanks

Westgl
No, you can install them without them being snapped on all the way. Has nothing to do with screws.

frank3
02-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I think my RT has this very problem. I can move the outermost edge up and down 3/16" and for/aft the same. I assume this is what you mean by "loose". I'll remove mine this week and look at them. It hasn't bothered me while ridding. I can see that if you were to be ridding on a rough surface and looking at your mirror, it could be very annoying. Thanks Lamont for ANOTHER GREAT TIP. :bowdown:

lawrenc454
02-08-2010, 12:24 AM
We had this issue on the BMW K1200LTs and/or occassionally they would get knocked off. Bobs BMW sells some mirror tethers that keep the mirrors on about a 6-inch leash if they were to come loose and it doesn't put all the weight on the electrical connection.

Lonnie

bikeguy
02-08-2010, 12:53 AM
We had this issue on the BMW K1200LTs and/or occassionally they would get knocked off. Bobs BMW sells some mirror tethers that keep the mirrors on about a 6-inch leash if they were to come loose and it doesn't put all the weight on the electrical connection.

Lonnie

I used a couple of looped zip ties to tether the mirrors on my BMW R1100RT which seems to work very well.

Thanks for the great picture Lamont. It helps to be able to see just how the fasteners are made and applied before trying to pull that mirror off.

Cotton

BumbleBee
02-08-2010, 05:05 AM
I will be checking mine out. Had this problem with the other spyder.
Thanks for reminding me :2thumbs:

westgl
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I mentioned the loose mirrors to my dealer and that the demo bike had what I thought were loose mirrors.

He immediately said no that's the way it's suppose to be, right after that I noticed that one of the screws on the Trailer was loose, I could put my fingernail under it easily.

It may be that my dealer is not very thorough on details.

The fact that he dismissed it so quickly.

I mean this is a representation of what you are paying the big bucks for.

Oh well, I guess It will make me better at working on it.

Westgl

NancysToy
02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
The mirrors should not be loose so that they move easily or shake while riding. Be sure they are snapped on tight or you could lose one and break it. I wouldn't trust that dealer as far as I could spit.

sabunim5
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I used a couple of looped zip ties to tether the mirrors on my BMW R1100RT which seems to work very well.

Thanks for the great picture Lamont. It helps to be able to see just how the fasteners are made and applied before trying to pull that mirror off.

Cotton

I used some stainless steel fishing leader to make a tether for the mirrors on my BMW. Enough miles and they are going to get knocked off somehow.

wicked three
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
i have been noticing that some of the mirrors are loose aswell.
remove the mirror qand check that the metal clips on the bottom are not bent.
if they are it is a simple fix with two flathead screwdrivers two straighten them again.
maybe someone should mention this fix to the dealers so they will admit there is a problem

Eagle Eye
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I need clear instructions on howe to remoev the loose mirror and how to place this mirror back on. The picture helps but need clear step by step asi do not want to break any plastic. thanks New Spyder owner:dontknow:

SilverSurfer
09-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I've experienced a bit of this problem, but remain somwhat thankful for the way the things are designed. When I got tagged by a deer back in June (yes, it tagged me, vs. I the deer), it knocked off my left-side mirror. The deer's body came up and I think it's butt knocked the mirror off, which included pulling it's cable connector loose. In trying to re-attach the knocked-off mirror, I think the impact stretched or bent the little retention clips on the back of the mirror housing, yet I was still able to get the mirror on by seating the top pin first (a press/slide down motion), then push the bottom of the mirror in until you feel it seat. It does require a bit of finesse. I've since replaced the entire mirror and it was easy to do. On another occasion the right-side mirror became loose, I'm suspecting that someone walked by the Spyder and bumped it. The bottom of the assembly came unseated and it was just flopping forward and back from the top connector. No problem ... I just verified the top connector was in place; then re-seated the bottom of the housing.

IWN2RYD
09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I am a bit confused on what is to be considered loose. Both of mine can move forward and back totaling about 1/2". Up and done a bit less but easy to move.

In no way is it snug or tight. Yet when I remove them and then re-install them for my own knowledge... They end up exactly the same. Floppy.

Now when we ryde, no issues until on a gravel road (Understandable) or bad paved roads.

Just looking to learn what loose means. Thanks! :doorag::2thumbs:

SilverSurfer
09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Loose(ness): When the RT mirrors are properly seated on the mounting pins, one should feel maybe a 16th of an inch of up/down/left/right play. This is normal and attributable to the clip/pin design; also, it gives the mirror a little 'buffer' in case it's bumped.

Floppy: If you are getting substantial movement of the mirror, especially left/right play, or feeling 'unhinged' from the bottom, then I would suspect either an unseated clip, or perhaps a damaged clip. When I pieced the mirror the deer knocked of back together, it felt more loose than normal, with a bit of movement on bumps. The reason was that the deer impact stretched and slightly deformed one of the bottom clips; so even when seated, it was still a bit "floppy."

Lamonster
09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I need clear instructions on howe to remoev the loose mirror and how to place this mirror back on. The picture helps but need clear step by step asi do not want to break any plastic. thanks New Spyder owner:dontknow:
Pull the bottom out till released from the two pins and lift up to unhook the top pin.

Bob Denman
10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Is there any way to tighten things up a bit even if it appears as if nothing is bent, busted, broke or otherwise... uh... effed up?

NancysToy
10-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Is there any way to tighten things up a bit even if it appears as if nothing is bent, busted, broke or otherwise... uh... effed up?
You can straighten and pinch the wires in the clip back together while the mirror is off, but it isn't really a lasting repair. A little silicon grease (just a film) on the mounting knobs (outside only) can help installation. The mirrors will always show a little movement when wiggled, but should not move a way from the body appreciably, or shake visibly (blurry image) while riding.

Bob Denman
10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Gotcha... Thanks! :D