PDA

View Full Version : Need help and/or suggestions

retired1
02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Have any RT owners wired or tried to wire for a non BRP trailer?

NancysToy
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Not yet, I will as soon as my BRP trailer hitch comes.

retired1
02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Professor;
Thanks for the response. When I left the dealer yesterday I thought I was going to have to buy the BRP hitch to get the bike hitch wire loom. I talked to my mechanic this morning and he informed me that he found the correct connectors to hook up to the bike, but had to order some pins for them. I think, for future reference, anyone wanting to get a hitch should pay the $499 for the BRP hitch ( primarily because the bike loom comes with it). By the time I paid $349 for the MMG hitch and the mechanic,I will have at least $500 invested in the set up and that's not allowing anything for :cus: and suffering. Now, onto the next wrong decision.

NancysToy
02-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Your mechanic did better than I have, so far. Easier for standard connectors, I guess. The Spyder ones are no big problem, but the military type connector to the trailer is a puzzle, unless they just duplicated it in plastic. I was looking at buying the trailer tongue harness, just to get the connector to build my adapter. Guess I'll have to search harder, first. It would be good if I knew what the BRP type of connector was called. I need to get my hitch in hand and go from there.

retired1
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
From what I understand he fouind the correct plug for the upper part of the harness, so it should look pretty factory. Then he will install the needed pins and put the wires into a loom. He will only be using a 5 wire setup which is already wired on the trailer. I have to have confidence in him, because I can't even work a multimeter.:roflblack:

NancysToy
02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
From what I understand he fouind the correct plug for the upper part of the harness, so it should look pretty factory. Then he will install the needed pins and put the wires into a loom. He will only be using a 5 wire setup which is already wired on the trailer. I have to have confidence in him, because I can't even work a multimeter.:roflblack:
He sounds well acquainted with wiring work, and the best way to do it, using OEM type connectors. Sounds like he'll do a good job for you. BTW, if the trailer doesn't have separate brake lights and turn signals, you'll need a converter. If it has a five pole connector, they probably are separate, though. Most dedicated motorcycle trailers are.