PDA

View Full Version : Replacement tire questin?

Questions
01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Have you replaced the tires on your Spyder? Did you buy the tire marketed by Can Am or another brand?

BajaRon
01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Have you replaced the tires on your Spyder? Did you buy the tire marketed by Can Am or another brand?

Yes, and No.....

Sarge707
01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
On the same subject- IF you use a stock tire replacement will the dealer change and install tire? :dontknow:Cost?:dontknow:

Questions
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes, and No.....

Now I am really confused!

I asked, "Have you replaced the tires on your Spyder?" I understand from your response that you have?

I also asked, "Did you buy the tire marketed by Can Am or another brand?" ???

Did you buy another brand tire? There appear to be few choices in the US market at present...

Is there anything about the wheels that make mounting/dismounting tires problematic?

Thanks.

B..

BLACK WIDOW
01-31-2010, 06:59 PM

I asked, "Have you replaced the tires on your Spyder?" I understand from your response that you have?

I also asked, "Did you buy the tire marketed by Can Am or another brand?" ???

Did you buy another brand tire? There appear to be few choices in the US market at present...

Is there anything about the wheels that make mounting/dismounting tires problematic?

Thanks.

B..

I am running the TOYO T1R rear tire and seems to be very good choice.

Questions
01-31-2010, 07:03 PM
I am running the TOYO T1R rear tire and seems to be very good choice.

Good tire. There are more and better options for the rear than for the front, at present.

TexasTripod
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Just replaced my rear tire a couple of Days ago with a B.F. Goodrich G-Force tire from Tire Rack. I took it off myself and took it to my local motorcycle shop and they installed it on the rim for 36 Dollars.(Did not balance-used Ride-On Tire Balancer. Only have a few miles on it and I'm still jacking with the tire pressure.

Questions
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Just replaced my rear tire a couple of Days ago with a B.F. Goodrich G-Force tire from Tire Rack. I took it off myself and took it to my local motorcycle shop and they installed it on the rim for 36 Dollars.(Did not balance-used Ride-On Tire Balancer. Only have a few miles on it and I'm still jacking with the tire pressure.

I kinda doubt that most m/c shops would want to fool with mounting a Spyder tire though I would think that a conventional automotive tire store would have no problem , especially if you brought the wheel assembly to them. $36 seems high.

Blackwidow74
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
$36 is high, I replaced my rear tire for the second time a few months ago. Again I got the BF Goodrich G Force and I love this tire.:2thumbs: I have Yokohama tires in the front because they are the only tires that come in the size I need for my 17' rims.

Firefly
02-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Well--- you guys might think $35 to replace a rear tire is high--- but from my perspective that is a deal.

I had my first rear changed by the dealer (who actually runs the rim down to Belle Tire for the actual swap and balance)---- my dealer charged me $205.00.

That did NOT include the price of the tire :yikes:.

You can buy OEM rear for $140 and fronts for $62ea online at various Spyder Dealers. The fronts are pretty easy to mount and most tire shops can do it. They may or may not be able to balance them. I just used Ride-On for the fronts to protect and balance them.

My next rear I will pull off and change myself.

Many have used other brands of tires with pretty good success. It seems you have to run much higher pressures in them compared to the OEM BRP tires. Not a whole lot of $$$ savings from what I've seen.

I'm gonna stick with the OEM----- just keeps things simple and safe for me.

txknight67
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Just replaced the rear tire with a BFG G-force. Bought from The Tire Rack, $92. Took it to the local Honda dealer since my local Can-Am dealer didn't have the equipment and was going to have to find someone to do it. The automotive tire shops I talked to wouldn't touch it because of the way the center of the rim is made. Said it wouldn't fit on their equipment.

The Honda dealer charged me $40 for mount and balance and they removed and re-installed the tire for that price. Total amount was less then what I would have paid for the tire alone through Can-Am, $145.

Questions
02-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Just replaced the rear tire with a BFG G-force. Bought from The Tire Rack, $92. Took it to the local Honda dealer since my local Can-Am dealer didn't have the equipment and was going to have to find someone to do it. The automotive tire shops I talked to wouldn't touch it because of the way the center of the rim is made. Said it wouldn't fit on their equipment.

The Honda dealer charged me $40 for mount and balance and they removed and re-installed the tire for that price. Total amount was less then what I would have paid for the tire alone through Can-Am, $145.

Interesting. Did the automotive tire stores tell you why the wheel wouldn't fit their equipment? I had a Grinnall Scorpion 111 [2F/1R trike] It had a BMW K1100LT drivetrain including the final drive. The rear wheel had a different center to match the BMW bolt pattern and correct the offset but the rim portion was the same as an automobile rim. Discount Tire had no problem or reservations about mounting a tire on it. I did remove the wheel from the vehicle and take it to the store for mounting.

Someone mentioned that a m/c shop took the wheel to a tire shop for mounting which sounds like the way to go but I guess there is something about the Spyder wheels that I don't understand. Someone also expressed concern that a tire shop might not be able to balance the front wheels. I wonder why?

NancysToy
02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Interesting. Did the automotive tire stores tell you why the wheel wouldn't fit their equipment? I had a Grinnall Scorpion 111 [2F/1R trike] It had a BMW K1100LT drivetrain including the final drive. The rear wheel had a different center to match the BMW bolt pattern and correct the offset but the rim portion was the same as an automobile rim. Discount Tire had no problem or reservations about mounting a tire on it. I did remove the wheel from the vehicle and take it to the store for mounting.

Someone mentioned that a m/c shop took the wheel to a tire shop for mounting which sounds like the way to go but I guess there is something about the Spyder wheels that I don't understand. Someone also expressed concern that a tire shop might not be able to balance the front wheels. I wonder why?
Different wheels have different shapes and sizes of hubs. Some may not fit over the balancing machine spindle, and others may require adapters that the shop does not have. Some motorcycles shops cannot balance a BMW wheel because they lack the proper adapter, for instance. Some auto balancer machine spindles are just too large. Gotta be able to mount it to the machine to spin balance it.

Questions
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Different wheels have different shapes and sizes of hubs. Some may not fit over the balancing machine spindle, and others may require adapters that the shop does not have. Some motorcycles shops cannot balance a BMW wheel because they lack the proper adapter, for instance. Some auto balancer machine spindles are just too large. Gotta be able to mount it to the machine to spin balance it.

I agree with everything you wrote. That said, I would think that a good automotive tire shop should be able to balance the Spyder front wheels on the car. I would also think that an automotive tire shop would be better equipped to mount tires on the Spyder wheels than a m/c shop. I'm curious. That's all. :dontknow:

DragonSpyder
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
The rear rim does not fit on most auto balancers because the shaft is too large. Most M/C shops can balance the rear.

BTW, I was able to remove the rear without adjusting the belt. Just remove the bottom shock bolt which will give more than enough slack on the belt to slip it off the sprocket.

WaltH
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM

$40 is a good price. I paid $74 for the same thing at my after-market Harley shop. I am thinking of riding over to Texas for the next tire change.:2thumbs:

NancysToy
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with everything you wrote. That said, I would think that a good automotive tire shop should be able to balance the Spyder front wheels on the car. I would also think that an automotive tire shop would be better equipped to mount tires on the Spyder wheels than a m/c shop. I'm curious. That's all. :dontknow:
Lots of shops don't have "On the Car" balancers, at least not around here. That method should work fine for the fronts, and probably the rear, too, if you removed the belt and it did not interfere with the fender or swingarm. Frankly, it has been so long since I have seen that done, that I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I suspect that the truth of the matter may be that some shops just don't want to be bothered with anything different.

Questions
02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Lots of shops don't have "On the Car" balancers, at least not around here. That method should work fine for the fronts, and probably the rear, too, if you removed the belt and it did not interfere with the fender or swingarm. Frankly, it has been so long since I have seen that done, that I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. I suspect that the truth of the matter may be that some shops just don't want to be bothered with anything different.

"I suspect that the truth of the matter may be that some shops just don't want to be bothered with anything different." :agree:

BajaRon
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM

I asked, "Have you replaced the tires on your Spyder?" I understand from your response that you have? .. Yes. Rear only as my fronts are in great shape at 15k.

I also asked, "Did you buy the tire marketed by Can Am or another brand?" ???.. My error as I was not clear here. After much research I put the Toyo T1R rear on. No way I'm going to pay more for an inferior tire just because Can-Am sells it.

Did you buy another brand tire? There appear to be few choices in the US market at present.. There are several non Can-Am options that are at least as good as the stock tire and cost a lot less (some less than 1/2 the price). All options offer lower price and, most likely, longer life. Not only does my Toyo T1R perform better than that stock tire, it is lighter, cheaper, looks better and will surely wear longer.

Is there anything about the wheels that make mounting/dismounting tires problematic?.. I had no problem getting my Toyo mounted at a pretty basic tire store here in East Tennessee. I've heard balancing can be an issue but using Ride-On solves that and adds flat protection at the same time.

Thanks.

B..[/QUOTE]

BajaRon
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Just replaced the rear tire with a BFG G-force. Bought from The Tire Rack, $92. Took it to the local Honda dealer since my local Can-Am dealer didn't have the equipment and was going to have to find someone to do it. The automotive tire shops I talked to wouldn't touch it because of the way the center of the rim is made. Said it wouldn't fit on their equipment..

How can this be when Lamont and I both have had our rear tires changed at a very basic tire store with just 1 generic tire changer and it worked fine. I think it is more of a case that they don't want to mess with something they are not familiar with.

The Honda dealer charged me $40 for mount and balance and they removed and re-installed the tire for that price. Total amount was less then what I would have paid for the tire alone through Can-Am, $145. Are you saying that they removed the wheel from the Spyder and re-installed it for this price? If so that is an excellent price for the rear.

Questions
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
How can this be when Lamont and I both have had our rear tires changed at a very basic tire store with just 1 generic tire changer and it worked fine. I think it is more of a case that they don't want to mess with something they are not familiar with.

Are you saying that they removed the wheel from the Spyder and re-installed it for this price? If so that is an excellent price for the rear.

Please bear in mind that I am here to learn as I haven't bought a Spyder yet. Is there something unique, time consuming or difficult about removing/replacing the rear wheel on a Spyder? If so, does it have something to do with the belt drive?

RShrimp
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Can you run a 185/60-14 on the front? If so you can get the matching Toyo's front and rear?

According to tirerack the size spec is 0.3 inch taller and 0.5 inch wider.

Anyone done this ????? I know the fenders are close but this is a very small difference and the 185/60 is a very popular size so lots of options.....

It doesnt look like it would take much to mod the fender brackets if needed.

BajaRon
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Please bear in mind that I am here to learn as I haven't bought a Spyder yet. Is there something unique, time consuming or difficult about removing/replacing the rear wheel on a Spyder? If so, does it have something to do with the belt drive?

If done the right way the rear wheel is about the same amount of trouble as most any other large motorcycle. The belt actually makes it easier than a chain or shaft drive.

txknight67
02-02-2010, 12:52 AM
The rear rim does not fit on most auto balancers because the shaft is too large. Most M/C shops can balance the rear.

BTW, I was able to remove the rear without adjusting the belt. Just remove the bottom shock bolt which will give more than enough slack on the belt to slip it off the sprocket.

Also won't fit on those mounting machines that use the center spindle. Also some of those rely on the rim being able to tilt, due to the long center piece on the Spyder rim, no can do.:dontknow: If the shop has the "new" unit that grips the edges of the rim, no issue except for balance then. None of the ones I talked to in Amarillo had the new mounting machines, they all used the center spindles.

txknight67
02-02-2010, 12:54 AM

:agree: But what's funny is the uniqueness is exactly the reason the Honda shop agreed to do it.

txknight67
02-02-2010, 01:04 AM
That could very well be the case. The ones I asked all had the mounting units with the center spindle, thought that had something to do with it.

Are you saying that they removed the wheel from the Spyder and re-installed it for this price? If so that is an excellent price for the rear.
Yep. I will double check, but that is the number I am remembering. I have the receipt somewhere. May be talking out my :cus: but don't think so. I know I was thinking at the time that for the price why mess with trying to take off the rim myself. Especially since I hadn't ever done it before.

Yep, I'm back tracking a little because after seeing some of the other prices quoted for doing the whole she-bang, that number sounds ridiculously low.
tk

Questions
02-02-2010, 06:29 AM
This is an interesting discussion. I now know that it is important for me to take a good look at the Spyder and it's wheels before deciding to buy one. Keeping the thing shod may be more of a hassle than I thought, ...or not.

SpyderByter
02-02-2010, 08:25 PM
This is an interesting discussion. I now know that it is important for me to take a good look at the Spyder and it's wheels before deciding to buy one. Keeping the thing shod may be more of a hassle than I thought, ...or not.

More hassle than any car, but not any more than most bikes. Best part is you will have advice from a lot of people here to get through it.

I just had a BF goodrich put on mine. Took the wheel off the Spyder myself, ordered the tire online, brought the tire and wheel to a local shop and they mounted it for $20. I put Ride On in and that should eliminate the need to balance, as well as protection from puctures.

FYI, Ride On does recommend checking a newly mounted tire on a spin balancer before adding the Ride On. If the tire is out of round, the Ride On will make that worse.

BajaRon
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Yep, I'm back tracking a little because after seeing some of the other prices quoted for doing the whole she-bang, that number sounds ridiculously low.
tk

Not calling you out. I just figured you got a tremdous deal and I'm all for that! I'm still hoping you were right. Nice to find a good place to do business when you can.

It isn't all that much work to pull the wheel off and put it back on. But for $40 total I agree with you. As long as they don't mess up the belt tension I'd be good with them doing the whole thing! :ohyea:

txknight67
02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Not calling you out. I just figured you got a tremdous deal and I'm all for that! I'm still hoping you were right. Nice to find a good place to do business when you can.

It isn't all that much work to pull the wheel off and put it back on. But for $40 total I agree with you. As long as they don't mess up the belt tension I'd be good with them doing the whole thing! :ohyea:

:opps: OK, my bad, the $40 figure came from that was the difference between them pulling the tire and me pulling it and taking it too them. $70 for them to do the whole thing and $30 if I removed the tire. To me that $40 was worth it for them to do the removal.