PDA

View Full Version : Priority maintenance pack now much did you pay

QNSPYDER
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
The maintenance pack just like to know how much everyone paid for there's The one that pays for every thing for 5 years on your RT-S

NancysToy
01-30-2010, 05:57 PM
If you are talking about the BEST Plus, it does not pay for everything, just one service a year. Any more service visits are on you, as are tires and such. Some aftermarket plans do it differently. Do your homework carefully, you need to know exactly waht is and isn't included...and any deductible amounts.

BillGargan
01-31-2010, 12:40 AM
The maintenance pack just like to know how much everyone paid for there's The one that pays for every thing for 5 years on your RT-S

In general . . . Prepaid service plans are a sucker bet. For the most part, so are extended warranties . . .

fastfraser
01-31-2010, 05:47 AM
In general . . . Prepaid service plans are a sucker bet. For the most part, so are extended warranties . . .

Tell me that the next time your :spyder2: is in the shop for repairs and you have no warranty ! :gaah::gaah::gaah:

groundeffect
01-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi there.

I just purchased my Spyder RS 2010 SM5 with the 3 Year B.E.S.T. Extended Warranty, it is NOT a service plan.

The Spyder has 2 years default warranty from BRP built-in to the purchase of the spyder. It does not cover regular maintenance, it does cover parts and things that may break and wear unexpectedly. As you would expect normal wearing parts and disposable items such as fuel, oil, filters, tires, coolant, etc..., are not warranty items.

NOTE that there is the B.E.S.T. PLUS Warranty - This is the warranty that covers the first 1000km (600mi) maintenance and an annual tune-up (once a year).

Both B.E.S.T. and B.E.S.T. PLUS comes with road side assistance that start when you purchase it. Note that I purchased the 3 year B.E.S.T., and now I am covered for 5 years in total. Roadside assistance is available to me for the full 5 years.

If you have other questions, you will find answers here:
This BRP BEST Warranty Manual may help you view the details, however, I recommend you talk with your local dealer to be sure of the details in your area.
BRP B.E.S.T Warranty Details (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CAkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.can-am.brp.com%2FNR%2Frdonlyres%2F85E2E700-3A66-4944-852B-9CD14A74B065%2F0%2FBEST_Protection_enUS.pdf&rct=j&q=brp+best+warranty+pdf&ei=d31lS9HoE4fGlAfj3cmUCg&usg=AFQjCNEETYpYwP775LO3kil2XKYSdANIiQ)

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

QNSPYDER
01-31-2010, 08:33 AM
2 years all maintenance oil and 6 major services what ever is need but tires ext that for 3 more years total 5 what should you have to pay for something like that

bjt
01-31-2010, 09:13 AM

Tell me that the next time your :spyder2: is in the shop for repairs and you have no warranty ! :gaah::gaah::gaah:

+1 fastfraser. After being in the shop for over 6 months total time for 3 minor and 2 major issues, I'm very glad I got the 3 year BEST Plus extended warranty.

BillGargan
01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
To each his or her own. Are you going to try to keep warranty protection on everything you own until you dispose of it? Extended warranties on the Spyder are insurance that only extends beyond the BRP warranty.

Quoted from Consumer Reports . . .
This holiday season, shoppers are expected to spend more than a billion dollars on extended warranties. Appliance and electronics retailers push shoppers to buy extended warranties or service plans because the store keeps 50 percent or more of what they charge for them. That's much more than they can make just selling the products. But extended warranties are notoriously bad deals because some repairs are already covered by the standard manufacturer's warranty that comes with the product. And our data show that products seldom break within the period the extended warranty covers—after the standard warranty has expired and within two to three years of purchase. When electronics and appliances do break, the repairs, on average, cost about the same as an extended warranty.
Dodge it! Our decades of brand research have shown that products are reliable enough that we don't think you need extended warranties. But if you'd like the peace of mind an extended warranty can provide, you might be able to get similar coverage by charging the item on a credit card. Check your card agreement; some cards, especially gold and platinum ones, lengthen the original manufacturer's warranty by as much as one year. If you can't rely on your card's additional coverage, channel your inner Scrooge. Get the cheapest deal you can on an extended warranty by including the cost of one in your price comparison. Always try to negotiate a better deal. And don't pay more than 20 percent of an item's purchase price for any warranty.

musicarcade
01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I'm not at home and I don't keep the issues for a long time, but Consumer Reports also suggests *getting* extended warranties on items that are relatively new or new technology. For instance, Three or four years ago they suggested getting extended warranties for new hi-def large screen tv's. I'm glad I bought it for my 50" Sony as it's had a visit twice now for service. I'd put the Spyder in the new technology category too and get extended service.

docdoru
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM
There are 3 types of Prepaid Maintenance Programs (not to be confused with warranty, B.E.S.T. and B.E.S.T. Plus), payable to the dealer when a new bike is purchased:
1. 6 consecutive services /maintenance: $600
2. 1 year unlimited miles service /maintenance: $1,200
3. 2 years unlimited miles service /maintenance: $2,500
All parts and labor included. Prices are from 2008, Tampa Bay area, SM5. :thumbup:

bikeguy
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
My dealer quoted me a price of $1,695 for a 3 year/unlimited mileage service agreement. I was told that it included parts and labor for all the scheduled maintenances required for the spyder RT over a 3 year period regardless of mileage. I don't expect that to cover such things as tires, batteries, brake pads or other wear items. And, from what I was told, there is no deductible. The agreement is strictly provided by the dealer with no involvement of BRP or any underwriting company. I was told, though, that should there be a need to have another dealer perform the service, I could simply have them call my dealer and they would pay the other dealer for performing the service. I haven't decided whether I want it or not. Obviously, it would not be a good deal if you don't ride too many miles.

I've always done my own service work but I'm somewhat concerned about the Spyder because of all the high tech, computer controlled systems. I don't want to void the warranty because of failing to perform some function such as failing to read the fault codes which, I assume, can only be done by the dealer. One other factor is that they have told me that the 600 mile service costs $550.00 which seems completely ridiculous to me. If that's a gauge of what other services cost, it won't take long to pay for the service agreement.

Cotton

NancysToy
02-02-2010, 08:16 AM
My dealer quoted me a price of $1,695 for a 3 year/unlimited mileage service agreement. I was told that it included parts and labor for all the scheduled maintenances required for the spyder RT over a 3 year period regardless of mileage. I don't expect that to cover such things as tires, batteries, brake pads or other wear items. And, from what I was told, there is no deductible. The agreement is strictly provided by the dealer with no involvement of BRP or any underwriting company. I was told, though, that should there be a need to have another dealer perform the service, I could simply have them call my dealer and they would pay the other dealer for performing the service. I haven't decided whether I want it or not. Obviously, it would not be a good deal if you don't ride too many miles.

I've always done my own service work but I'm somewhat concerned about the Spyder because of all the high tech, computer controlled systems. I don't want to void the warranty because of failing to perform some function such as failing to read the fault codes which, I assume, can only be done by the dealer. One other factor is that they have told me that the 600 mile service costs $550.00 which seems completely ridiculous to me. If that's a gauge of what other services cost, it won't take long to pay for the service agreement.

Cotton
$550 seems high for the first service. It takes about $40-$50 worth of parts, plus the oil. Four quarts of even the recommended BRP oil should not run over $60. That leaves the labor. Two to three hours by the book, depending on the model. Our GS took two, even. That adds up to no more than $400 no matter how you cut it. $250-$300 is more the norm. Your dealer is either making a play to sell his service contract, or he makes a BMW dealer look pale by comparison.

docdoru
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
1-2 oil change + 1 12K service pay off your 3 years contract. IMHO. :thumbup:

bikeguy
02-02-2010, 11:48 AM
$550 seems high for the first service. It takes about $40-$50 worth of parts, plus the oil. Four quarts of even the recommended BRP oil should not run over $60. That leaves the labor. Two to three hours by the book, depending on the model. Our GS took two, even. That adds up to no more than $400 no matter how you cut it. $250-$300 is more the norm. Your dealer is either making a play to sell his service contract, or he makes a BMW dealer look pale by comparison.

From what I've seen here I thought $250 - $300 was about right, too. I'll for sure do a little bargaining before I make up my mind. I've owned 3 BMW's and never had one of them in a dealer's shop but, if parts prices are any gauge, their service is pretty expensive and, yes, this Spyder dealer is trying to outdo them. If they will come off of the $1695 some I might just buy the contract.

Cotton

bikeguy
02-02-2010, 11:56 AM
1-2 oil change + 1 12K service pay off your 3 years contract. IMHO. :thumbup:

If that's the case, I might want to seriously consider buying the contract. I certainly plan to ride it more than 12,000 miles in 3 years. I didn't ask about the prices for 3,000, 6,000, or 12,000 mile services. I'm sure they are more expensive, maybe much more so, than the 600 mile service. This dealer has only been selling Spyders for six months or so. They may not even have a price on 6 or 12,000 mile service yet. To my knowledge they only have two Spyders on the road, both 2009's, so they have not yet done much service work. I'm gonna have to give it some thought.

Cotton

LittleJohn
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I paid $1500 for 3 years scheduled mx. Covers all labor, parts and materials (except for normal wear items, ie brakes, tires, batteries)

Even though my bike sat for almost a year, Ive more than paid for it already at teh prices the dealership charges, and Ive still got a year + left on it.

PS, the 1200 mile service is a doozy!

docdoru
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
They may not even have a price on 6 or 12,000 mile service yet. Cotton
Every 12K= $1,200 (+-) :thumbup:

bikeguy
02-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Every 12K= $1,200 (+-) :thumbup:

Well, that narrows it down pretty good. If the 12,000 mile service is that expensive, I'll either get the service agreement or do my own service. I really don't feel qualified to work on something as computer intensive as the Spyder so I'm definitely leaning towrd the maintenace agreement. Thanks, doc.

Cotton

LittleJohn
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Well, that narrows it down pretty good. If the 12,000 mile service is that expensive, I'll either get the service agreement or do my own service. I really don't feel qualified to work on something as computer intensive as the Spyder so I'm definitely leaning towrd the maintenace agreement. Thanks, doc.

Cotton

Probably a good call. I like workin on my own stuff too, but with some of the quirks, like having to bleed the brakes with the BUDS computer hooked up, I went ahead with a mx plan.

krb1945
02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
has a plan that covers everything from a to z including tires, plugs , and warranty items after 2 years are up total package is about $1700. Or they did about 2 months ago.Ken