PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Zumo 550 Versus Tom Tom Rider 2

Amanda B
01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Which is better and why? Trying to figure out what to get! Zumo costs more....what does it have the that Tom Tom doesn't?? Wondering who has what and their thoughts!

fastfraser
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

8LEGS
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Amanda. I have the Zumo 550 and I love it. I too was trying to decide between the 550 and tomtom rider. I chose the 550 for a few reasons. The battery on the 550 can be changed and the tomtom it can not. The 550 speaks road names " turn left on main street" instead of " turn left in 50 feet" with the TomTom. They both are compatable with the scala rider bluetooth. I think the database with the tomtom is better than the zumo and the tomtom has a smaller footprint. It really is about how much you want to spend, the tomtom has the scala included. If I had to purchase again I would stay with the zumo 550.

Latemarch
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
The 550 speaks road names " turn left on main street" instead of " turn left in 50 feet" with the TomTom.

I actually find the pronunciation of the street names distracting. It gives me the street name and then I find myself trying to find the street sign to match it. Usually can't find it soon enough. Here in Missouri there are a lot of streets with no sign at all. And when I do find it can't read it until I'm way too close.

Just tell me when to turn and I'm good.

bone crusher
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
I actually find the pronunciation of the street names distracting. It gives me the street name and then I find myself trying to find the street sign to match it. Usually can't find it soon enough. Here in Missouri there are a lot of streets with no sign at all. And when I do find it can't read it until I'm way too close.

zumo zumo zumo...have the 550 and love it! Hands down cannot beat Garmin support, if you ever need it...real people, in the U.S....will help you with whatever you need...really far away above any other company out there...I have a magellan for travel...would never buy anything but a garmin again...go on Harley and other boards and poke around...Garmin is really a popular brand for all navis, but esp. for bikes...

Firefly
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
zumo zumo zumo...have the 550 and love it! Hands down cannot beat Garmin support, if you ever need it...real people, in the U.S....will help you with whatever you need...really far away above any other company out there...I have a magellan for travel...would never buy anything but a garmin again...go on Harley and other boards and poke around...Garmin is really a popular brand for all navis, but esp. for bikes...

:agree: The Garmin units are top notch--- I love mine. Makes for a great MP3 player too!

wyliec
01-30-2010, 04:06 PM

I agree about the pronunciation.

BillGargan
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
The Zumo 660 has many things the Zumo 550 does not. The 550 has some the 660 does not. The newest 665 is another flavor as is the 220.

Check out this to compare features and MSRP -- and nobody pays MSRP.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=135&compareProduct=65210&compareProduct=65203&compareProduct=15000&compareProduct=414

patdcop
01-30-2010, 05:37 PM
For me, Garmin 478 waterproof chart plotter with next rad radar displayed on the gps.

bone crusher
01-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, as you can see from the replies...get a garmin and go....550, 660, 665, 2whatever...

It really matters most when and if you have an issue...nothing compares to how well garmin takes care of you...customer support isn't touched by anyone...

bone crusher
01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
The Zumo 660 has many things the Zumo 550 does not. The 550 has some the 660 does not. The newest 665 is another flavor as is the 220.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=135&compareProduct=65210&compareProduct=65203&compareProduct=15000&compareProduct=414

Great comparison...they all look good to me! I'm simple...as long as it gets me to where I want to go and it's waterproof, I'm happy!

Amanda B
01-30-2010, 07:00 PM

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_13_3.gif
Awesome link!

Anyone know where cheapest place to get the Zumo 665 is? It's rather expensive!

Trickie Dick
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Amanda, you might want to check out the review on the 660 on http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-gps/garmin-zumo-660-review/ It does alot of comparisons vs. the 550 as well and its not written by garmin.
I have the garmin 765T that is very much like the 660 except its not waterproof. But its alot cheaper. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a garmin.
Dick

bone crusher
01-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Amanda, you might want to check out the review on the 660 on http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-gps/garmin-zumo-660-review/ It does alot of comparisons vs. the 550 as well and its not written by garmin.
I have the garmin 765T that is very much like the 660 except its not waterproof. But its alot cheaper. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a garmin.
Dick

Sounds like a good navi but I'd try to go with a waterproof one if you're on your bike...if you get caught in a downpour, you don't want your navi to croak...cheap won't matter if you have to replace it. In addition, the bike ones are made with more vibration dampening, so they say...

BillGargan
01-31-2010, 12:36 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_13_3.gif
Awesome link!

Anyone know where cheapest place to get the Zumo 665 is? It's rather expensive!

Just check out a bunch of Google links as well as Amazon. The best pricing tends to move around.

I forgot . . . The 665 is still not released. Supposed to be soon. So, no good prices on it yet.

Amanda B
01-31-2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah I saw the 665 isn't out yet. I don't like that the 660 doesn't have the ability to get the sat. radio or weather features. What were they thinking, if it is supposed to be an improvement over the 550 it should have the same features and then some.

Lamonster
01-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah I saw the 665 isn't out yet. I don't like that the 660 doesn't have the ability to get the sat. radio or weather features. What were they thinking, if it is supposed to be an improvement over the 550 it should have the same features and then some.

The wide screen is an improvement over the 550 and they were thinking that after guys like me bought the 600 they could give us buyers remorse when they release the 665. :gaah:

Toys42
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
And more buyers remorse to learn that Garmin finally allows the XM to be transmitted via Bluetooth on the 665. I completely missed the fine print when I bought the 550 and was very frustrated to learn that I could not go wireless on the XM.

If the Bluetooth/XM is not important to you, the 550 is great. The XM and nav combination works great using wired helmet speakers but I do not want to give up the XM to us my Bluetooth headset. The phone feature is seamless too but I need to buy a wired headset to make it work for all functions. The phone, MP3 and nav will work with a Bluetooth headset.

Collett Communicators makes a solution for the Bluetooth but it is currently on backorder until spring.

http://www.collettcommunicators.com/

bone crusher
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
And more buyers remorse to learn that Garmin finally allows the XM to be transmitted via Bluetooth on the 665. I completely missed the fine print when I bought the 550 and was very frustrated to learn that I could not go wireless on the XM.

If the Bluetooth/XM is not important to you, the 550 is great. The XM and nav combination works great using wired helmet speakers but I do not want to give up the XM to us my Bluetooth headset. The phone feature is seamless too but I need to buy a wired headset to make it work for all functions. The phone, MP3 and nav will work with a Bluetooth headset.

Collett Communicators makes a solution for the Bluetooth but it is currently on backorder until spring.

http://www.collettcommunicators.com/

The scala rider 2, iphone, and 550 work very well together...one thing...do NOT NOT NOT use version 3.4 of the garmin software for the bluetooth...use version 3.10...

Dragonrider
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Don't use an intercom, or more than a 1/2 helmet. So I could care less what it says - I turn off the sound in the truck (my other cars all have GPS).

I bought the 550 on E-bay, after looking for months to replace the convenience of a GPS on the bike, when I dumped the BMW. The 550 is very easy to use, easy to remove, easy to get parts for mounting (I have separate mounts in my truck, on my Valk, and Spyder, and just pop the 550 into whatever rig I'm using.), and easy to use the controls while moving & wearing gloves.

The screen is 100X better than the BMW unit, and is small enough to fit in a coat pocket over lunch. This is by far the best GPS I've had (#6).

Just my $0.02

Trickie Dick
01-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Has anyone tried an adapter like this. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/bluetooth-adapter-bluetooth-headphones/
Seems like you could hang it on just about any non bluetooth device to transmit to your bluetooth headset. Why wouldn't an XM or whatever work with one of these.:dontknow:

Spanky
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM

On the Zumo 550 you can turn that feature off.