PDA

View Full Version : noob questions

Granrey
01-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what are the weather limitations of the spyder.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. We get good amount of snow and cold weather

questions:

-I wonder if this vehicle performs good in city streets with snow?

-is there any problem to start the spyder based on temperature?

-Any particular model that is better for this conditions?

thanks,

I apreciate your answers

RoadHammer
01-25-2010, 10:15 PM
if your going to run in deep snow or hard packed snow it wont perform very well. If your on dry or wet pavement it will be ok.

Mine has started as low as -20. I dont use it in winter, but i fire it up every now and than just for fun.

No difference in models concerning winter operation.

Lamonster
01-25-2010, 10:35 PM
welcome
We have plenty of snow riders here. :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16493

bone crusher
01-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Some ride the Spyder in snow...I tried one time and was spinning around a bit...doesn't do as well as my John Deere with chains and weights! :D

As far as cold weather starting, there is no option for an engine block heater so you'd want to keep it in a garage connected to a battery tender plus or like product...I've started it as low as 15 degrees out without a problem...but, again, it's connected to a battery charger and is in a garage...once on the road in the cold, the bike performs great...it's like having a cold air intake...however, I end up freezing! I don't ride anymore below 40 degrees, esp. on highways...

You might want to get winter tires if you plan to ride a lot in crappy weather but you must really want a Spyder if you want to ride it in such cold weather with snow...I'd sooner get a nice, warm SUV and wait on riding the Spyder until Spring...that's just me though...

NancysToy
01-25-2010, 10:38 PM
No difference in models concerning winter operation.
Other than better weather protection on the RT...and heated grips.

One other thing to consider about winter riding. Do you really want to be riding unprotected on the outside of a vehicle, while all the cars and trucks are skidding around? I was rear-ended during a snow storm this year, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on a Spyder! It won't fall over, but it's sure a vulnerable target.

jsmiley
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
It did pretty good. The only really tough thing was unplowed main streets. You can stradle those tire tracks, but that rear tire has to ride in the middle on the rough stuff.

bone crusher
01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Other than better weather protection on the RT...and heated grips.

One other thing to consider about winter riding. Do you really want to be riding unprotected on the outside of a vehicle, while all the cars and trucks are skidding around? I was rear-ended during a snow storm this year, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on a Spyder! It won't fall over, but it's sure a vulnerable target.

:agree: Scotty, looks like you got your new ride?

COOLMACHINE
01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Weather limitations of the spyder.....I'm not sure, but i agree with the above statement. I basically ride whenever it is 32 degrees Fahrenheit
or above. But not if most of the roads are covered with ice/snow. I am fearful of someone sliding into me.

Ravi4l
01-26-2010, 08:38 AM
I ride motorcycle all year log @ lest I try here in VA, this is the first winter with spyder reason I bought it so far i love it. Trick in snow I found is to keep the rear tire on where the cars make path and let the front take of unpacked snow you’ll get lot more traction. Only issue I had going up on icy ramps but as long you slow down spyder does pretty good love the VSS good luck

Ravi

tatt2r
01-26-2010, 09:02 AM
two years in march and road every month since i got it.... but have to admit all though it's fun in the snow it's not practical... if i get stuck riding home in it i deal with it , but if i leave in the morning and raods are too bad it stays home...:coffee:

Granrey
01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
wow, I;m surprised for the amount of responses.

Thanks you, I will review them all.

bone crusher
01-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I ride motorcycle all year log @ lest I try here in VA, this is the first winter with spyder reason I bought it so far i love it. Trick in snow I found is to keep the rear tire on where the cars make path and let the front take of unpacked snow you’ll get lot more traction. Only issue I had going up on icy ramps but as long you slow down spyder does pretty good love the VSS good luck

Ravi

You must get soaked, cold, and filthy...the way they salt around here is nuts! Add some dirt and other various crud and that reason, alone, is enough to keep me in a cage in bad weather!

Granrey
01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm still reviewing the search for my motocycle LOL.

I will have to decide between the spyder and the piaggio MP3. I know there is big difference between the two.

The only things keeping me back from the spyder is that my garage is not big enough to acomodate the spyder and our car as well as the price tag of the spyder.

the price tag for the MP3 is ok as well as the storage on my garage.

The bad thing is about the mp3 is that............ is not an spyder, very simple LOL.

Well still reviewing.

QuadManiac
01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm sure you're aware that one is a relatively high performance motorcycle'ish machine and the other is a relatively high performance scooter'ish machine. Do you want a bike or a scooter?

MouthPiece
01-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Took mine out today in wet weather just to see. I tested it in curves and powering out of turns. It did real well.

Granrey
01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm sure you're aware that one is a relatively high performance motorcycle'ish machine and the other is a relatively high performance scooter'ish machine. Do you want a bike or a scooter?

I really want the spider.

I'm quite confident is safer and bigger for sure.

The issue is more the price tag and the storage.

NancysToy
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm still reviewing the search for my motocycle LOL.

I will have to decide between the spyder and the piaggio MP3. I know there is big difference between the two.

The only things keeping me back from the spyder is that my garage is not big enough to acomodate the spyder and our car as well as the price tag of the spyder.

the price tag for the MP3 is ok as well as the storage on my garage.

The bad thing is about the mp3 is that............ is not an spyder, very simple LOL.

Well still reviewing.
Everyone has to adjust their wants to fit their needs. Space is certainly a consideration, as is money. My wife considered the MP3, and almost bought one. That was when they were only 250 cc, and it was not suited for the highway use she wanted. I rode one, though, and they are neat. Rides like a motorcycle, but has incredible low speed handling. That was one of her needs.

By the time the larger engines came out, the Spyder existed, so Nancy went with the Spyder. I think it could honestly have gone either way if our dealer had a demo MP3 with the larger engine. Hard to say. Once she saw a Spyder, she was hooked. Follow your head as well as your heart. The machine needs to fit your garage...and your pocketbook. Don't buy something you will hate, however. Good rides both, but different niches.

Roaddog2
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
I really want the spider.

I'm quite confident is safer and bigger for sure.

The issue is more the price tag and the storage.welcome

SPYDERGUY1
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
hey granrey, I also live in edmonton and have a 2008 me, yellow. It is a poor deal that the riding season sucks in this area, however when spring comes , look out SHA-bamm, SPYDER ON THE ROAD. Weather conditions vary and I have driven in all. Be prepared and ready, but there comes a point in time when enough is enough. If I can offer help or assistance just let me know. Freaking waiting for SPRING............:yes:

RodO
01-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm 5 hours to the east (Saskatoon) so similar climate (weather not political...).

I don't see the attraction of ryding in winter and despite the safety features the Spyder comes with, like others (Scotty) have replied, the cagers will not be safe to be around.

How many do you see that drive 'impaired' any time of day because of not having adequately cleaned the snow off their windows? Or don't have snow tires?

I'm waiting 'til spring -- as lousy as that is.

YMMV,

jgwoods
01-31-2010, 09:28 AM
I've ridden around town all Winter. Mostly 8-15 miles here and there with Gerbings jacket and heated gloves to make it quite comfortable down to about 20f, and a bit of a challenge below that.
Snow handling is fair at best. I don't take it to work if it snowing but I have made the 8 mile ride home in a few snowstorms without incident.
You True North guys seem to like the cold better than me here in New England- maybe the Can AM will work for you in colder weather. I think I would go with an SM5 over the SE5 for riding on snow - you can pull in the clutch when things get really slippery and gain a little control that the SE5 cannot give.

Granrey
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
After looking at my garage, I was undersizing it my garage in my mind.

I just have to enter and some how park it sideways during winter to allow the car in.

In summer, I will most like it leave the car in the driveway.

Anyways, another question.

It appears to me that the spyder is the most afordable trike out there and also the one with best value per buck.

The other trikes I see, are very expensive and are very simple compared with the technology of the spyder.

am I right on this?

Granrey
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
hey granrey, I also live in edmonton and have a 2008 me, yellow. It is a poor deal that the riding season sucks in this area, however when spring comes , look out SHA-bamm, SPYDER ON THE ROAD. Weather conditions vary and I have driven in all. Be prepared and ready, but there comes a point in time when enough is enough. If I can offer help or assistance just let me know. Freaking waiting for SPRING............:yes:
Oh man, I thought I would be the only one LOL.

Can you recomend a good dealer here and what is your experience with your bike and dealer?

COOLMACHINE
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
NancysToy says, " The machine needs to fit your garage...and your pocketbook. Don't buy something you will hate, however. Good rides both, but different niches."

Well said NancysToy. :thumbup:

mxz600
02-06-2010, 11:20 PM
welcome

You must get soaked, cold, and filthy...the way they salt around here is nuts! Add some dirt and other various crud and that reason, alone, is enough to keep me in a cage in bad weather!
:agree: My Spyder will never see a salty road. It is parked in the garage until spring. Winter is for sleds & 4 wheel drive trucks. Although my wifes AWD Fusion is pretty sweet for winter driving also.

jgwoods
02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
I can't see any reason to own a 3 wheeler unless you take advantage of its bad weather capabilities. Motorcycles handle better on dry, clean roads. I can ride my Can Am when there is ice and sand in the corners etc. so I take advantage of that to ride all year round while my two wheeled friends bow down in mock admiration of my determination...or foolishness.
It makes me feel alive, I don't get rusty from not riding, heated gear makes it very tolerable, salt and grime don't bother me, I ain't in the fashion business and I used to be a mechanic.
The Can Am can take it, why spend all that money to park it?

NancysToy
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I can't see any reason to own a 3 wheeler unless you take advantage of its bad weather capabilities.
:roflblack: You might when you get to be as worn down as I am.....LOL It's not the age, it's the mileage! The three surgeries plus one additional hospitalization alone last year made me thankful I had a Spyder to ride. My BMW didn't even see 1,000 miles, compared to the usual 10K-12K. The new RT-S did allow me to get out of the icy driveway and ride on my January birthday, though, something my two-wheelers seldom have let me do...I'll certainly grant you that. Lot's of different reasons for choosing a Spyder, for different people.:roflblack:

jeuchler
02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
:roflblack: You might when you get to be as worn down as I am.....LOL It's not the age, it's the mileage!

I'm almost as worn down as you, Scotty :joke: but it's also the mental incapacity...I like(d) the Spyder because I don't want to have to think so much when I am driving anymore...

NancysToy
02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm almost as worn down as you, Scotty :joke: but it's also the mental incapacity...I like(d) the Spyder because I don't want to have to think so much when I am driving anymore...
You say that partly in jest, but when the first Spyders came out, the first folks to do Ironbutts on them commented on that. After you get some sixteen hours into the ride, you don't have to think about dirt in the corners, wet, slick roads, and the like...just concentrate on the map and staying on the road.

SPYDERGUY1
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Can you recomend a good dealer here and what is your experience with your bike and dealer?[/QUOTE]
there are only 2 dealers in town, one south and one north ( MARTIN MOTOR SPORTS ) have dealt with both and much prefer the north location. very happy with my spyder, a few minor glitchs tho, recall done and all is good now. still waiting for spring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHH

Granrey
02-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Can you recomend a good dealer here and what is your experience with your bike and dealer?
there are only 2 dealers in town, one south and one north ( MARTIN MOTOR SPORTS ) have dealt with both and much prefer the north location. very happy with my spyder, a few minor glitchs tho, recall done and all is good now. still waiting for spring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHH[/QUOTE]

What do you think about driving motocycles in Edmonton from the point of view of safety? Based on how the car drivers treat you, city laws, local car drivers habits, ect.

Since when you have your spyder parked on your garage? November I would guess?

Granrey
02-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I can't see any reason to own a 3 wheeler unless you take advantage of its bad weather capabilities. Motorcycles handle better on dry, clean roads. I can ride my Can Am when there is ice and sand in the corners etc. so I take advantage of that to ride all year round while my two wheeled friends bow down in mock admiration of my determination...or foolishness.
It makes me feel alive, I don't get rusty from not riding, heated gear makes it very tolerable, salt and grime don't bother me, I ain't in the fashion business and I used to be a mechanic.
The Can Am can take it, why spend all that money to park it?

I;m not planing to ride on snow but being able to ride in case I get a snow fall while riding.

BTW, In Edmoton a snow fall (regular weather for us), could be terrible weather any where else on the planet (LOL).

The weather issue here is a big turn off for me, when you try to spend money on anything that is not a mobile cage.

SPYDERGUY1
02-08-2010, 09:42 PM
i used to ride bikes in the city, became very dangerous and sold them. since getting the spyder in 08 have not even had a smidgen of a close call. it has a very big footprint and i have added more lighting. if anything you get people following you and then asking all sorts of questions. Of course if you are going to be a total idiot, then you are asking for issues. hope that helps. both vehicles in the garage now as like a warm truck in the am as well as the missus. spyder parked actually since late october in a outside portable garage from princess auto. seems to work just fine. I take the battery out and add fuel conditioner, all is good. the waiting for spring is kinda gruelling , however when it happens me n my spyder are out almost every day. so still waiting for a change in the weather. Have you actually gone for a test ride on one ?????????? or just thinking about it ??

SPYDERGUY1
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
just re-reading your last post, i actually was riding my spyder on the labour day weekend in Banff in the snow. absolutely no issues, coming back from south of Red Deer area. a little cool but otherwise awesome...

dltang
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
two years in march and road every month since i got it.... but have to admit all though it's fun in the snow it's not practical... if i get stuck riding home in it i deal with it , but if i leave in the morning and raods are too bad it stays home...:coffee:

:agree:

If I have it I ride it. I too am coming up on 2 years of spyder ownership in March. I don't ride if the roads are actually snow covered or icy but don't let the cold stop me. I have ridden in snow and ice because that was what the weather was like by the time I got out of work and I didn't really like it. You have to really drive slow and seriously watch the other drivers even more than normal. The really good new that I discovered while my spyder was taken apart and hanging out at the dealer for so long was that I did not have any damage internally due to salt on these Michigan roads. I wipe it down in the winter periodically with a detail spray and when it gets warm I hose it all down. But weather on a whole has not stopped me from riding my spyder, so enjoy. But stay out of the deep stuff, it just won't work.

Granrey
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
just re-reading your last post, i actually was riding my spyder on the labour day weekend in Banff in the snow. absolutely no issues, coming back from south of Red Deer area. a little cool but otherwise awesome...

No, I have not taken the test drive yet on the spyder neither the piaggio mp3.
I do my best to make a decision prior the test drive to avoid impulse buying. I will most likely do the test drive in April or May (giving me time to re-consider the decision, I know I might sound weird LOL).
Also, I want to take the motorcycle riding lessons at NAIT prior I do any riding. I;m also reading a book about Proficient motorcycle riding.
Then, after the test drive, if I don’t like the machine, then I don’t buy it.
I like your comment about the big difference you notice between regular motorcycles and the spyder. One of the main reasons for me to consider the spyder is the safety.
My safety, as well as the other people on the road is very important for me. I have lost very close family members due to vehicle accidents.
I;m quite confident the spyder is very visible on the road compared to regular motorcycles, due to the size as well on bad road conditions due to the 3 wheels.
Another noob question:
Which safety gear do you guys recommend? I know I need helmet, gloves, etc. but if there are some kinds that you think are better let me know.

SPYDERGUY1
02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
yes the satety gear you mentioned is most important. I wear a jacket on the highway but in the city usually just a shirt, have a higher windshield. Good on you wanting to take a motorcycle course, would be amazed what you will learn. Would assume that you are looking at the new RT as opposed to an earlier model. The rt has lots of extra goodies which for the most part I have done to mine , but am still signed up for a definite test drive. Was in the dealer doing some snooping and he did the sign up already, just waiting for the call. ( curious more than anything ). They do have a nice price tag which sounds like an issue to you. All I can say if you do get one enjoy it to the most and above all RIDE SAFE.:yes:

SPYDERGUY1
02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
fyi, there is another hands on motorcycle training ground at approx 49th street and 91 ave, forget the name but have stopped to watch numerous times on my way home. :spyder2:

Granrey
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
fyi, there is another hands on motorcycle training ground at approx 49th street and 91 ave, forget the name but have stopped to watch numerous times on my way home. :spyder2:

I;m interested in the RS.

BTW, any idea if the price on dealer is usuallly above or below MSRP?

txknight67
02-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I have been riding all winter. The only problem I had was after the storm about two weeks ago which started out as freezing rain then turned to snow.

BF Goodrich wasn't joking about that G-force being summer only. Absolutely NO traction on the ice. Wound up having to push the bike up the alley after I got it out of the garage. Once I got on the roadway I found that as long as I kept the rear tire in the tracks the cages made I was good to go. Had to go slow because it kept wanting to pull in snow, but other wise was able to make it to the interstate, which was completely clear and in to work.

Have the Gerbing gloves and when I get my bonus check hope to get the jacket and pant liners.

Dwight
02-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't mind riding in the cold. Haven't had the RT out in the snow yet, probably couldn't get up my drive with it, too steep. I will say that the RT has the best weather protection of any bike/trike I've ridden. Upper 30's ride last Saturday. Tourmaster coat, ski bibs, unlined deerskin gloves, heated grips on low, and regular cotton socks. Use a neck warmer to seal between helmet and jacket. Rode about 120 miles and very comfortable. I've always ridden in the cold, but with the RT it's much safer. We use a lot of sand during the winter and now I don't have pay nearly as much attention to road conditions. I expect to be out more in the cold with the RT. I just like to ride!

Dwight

NancysToy
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
The RT is just as bad, or worse, in the snow as the RS. When I took mine back to the dealer, I couldn't get it to go onto the trailer ramp. It just kept spinning on the packed snow until I got out a couple of old towels to use as traction mats. The weather protection is excellent, however, it's just not a snowmobile.