PDA

View Full Version : Trailering

retired1
01-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I just received my mini-mate camping trailer on Friday. It only weighs 250 lbs. At present I own an '09 SM, but was talking to my dealer about getting a blue RTA&C that he has on order. The RT is an SE model. I have never ridden an SE,but from all reviews on this forum it sounds like the way to go. My question is; given the high gearing in reverse on the RS, how hard is it on the clutch to regulate the reverse speed backing into camping spaces or out of parking spaces. In other words has anyone "smoked" their clutch due to "feathering" the clutch while backing. Also, is there any way to regulate this on the SE. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestons from experienced trailer owners. Thnx in advance

SpyderWolf
01-24-2010, 12:15 PM
As far as the SE in reverse goes, it is a solid click into gear when you press the "R" button and pull back on the paddle shifter at the same time. At that point speed is regulated solely by the amount of throttle you give it. I do not think you would have any problems, as it is locked in gear and you do not have to worry about feathering the clutch. I have not attempted any trailering with it, so cannot offer advice in that area.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Pogo
01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
... My question is; given the high gearing in reverse on the RS, how hard is it on the clutch to regulate the reverse speed backing into camping spaces or out of parking spaces. In other words has anyone "smoked" their clutch due to "feathering" the clutch while backing. Also, is there any way to regulate this on the SE. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestons from experienced trailer owners. Thnx in advance

The day before my SE got a piece of second gear caught in it's throat and coughed itself to death, I took a trailer out for the first time. I found reversing pretty tricky, but like most things Spyder, you get good at it with practice.

The power coming on an off doesn't change the handling, it sharpens your anticipation so you can back off in time to avoid whatever it was you nearly didn't see.:opps:

Unless you were planning on doing hillclimbs on the edge of the clutch in reverse, I don't think you will smoke it. I tried controlling the speed with the brake, but gave in before I got good at it.

In short. go somewhere quiet, open and flat, and practise. You will get the hang of pretty quickly.

Cheers;

Pogo.

retired1
01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Pogo & Spyderwolf: Thnx for the posts.

sabunim5
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
You have received some good advice. I have an SM5 and have never come close to having any clutch problems when backing my trailer. Practice is the key. You have two things with short wheelbases hooked together. The trailer will turn quickly and it is easy to bend your hitch and/or the arm from the trailer to the hitch is you aren't careful. I have to be looking to back. I can't do it using the mirrors. That means having my wife get off if I am backing the trailer. I guess I should go practice the mirror method some more, but I have not been able to fit the time in. Good luck and Ryde Safe. :thumbup:
sabunim5 :spyder: