PDA

View Full Version : RT SE-5 problem & Engine oil question

frank3
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Had the Rt for a few week now but have not been able to ride. Anyway, pulled it out of the garage yeaster to use the space for working on my truck for a few hours. when I shifted ito 1st, the transmission CLUNKED into gear, much louder than a Honda. Shifted ito netrual with no problems and then into reverse, again no problem. Later, when pulling it into garage, shifted into 1st and heard, felt, same hard CLUNK. Anyone else had this happen and what's wrong.
Another subject, when I get the oil change at 600 mile, will BRP honnor my warranty if I insist on using Mobil 1. It's only available in 10-40W.

2Gunns
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Had the Rt for a few week now but have not been able to ride. Anyway, pulled it out of the garage yeaster to use the space for working on my truck for a few hours. when I shifted ito 1st, the transmission CLUNKED into gear, much louder than a Honda. Shifted ito netrual with no problems and then into reverse, again no problem. Later, when pulling it into garage, shifted into 1st and heard, felt, same hard CLUNK. Anyone else had this happen and what's wrong.

Frank.

I had the same expeirence, called my dealer about it. Was told it's not an issue, but still it freaks me out to hear it. ONLY into 1st

frank3
01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
You know, this machine has less than 5 miles on it but this is the first time I noticed it and it's loud and hard enough that I'm sure I would of noticed before. When I broght it home (on a trailer) I got on it to back down out of trailer and then on the ground, shifted into 1st, no problem. I live a good deal away from dealer so will wait to return there and will TRY not to be bothered by the clunk. Thanks John for the feedback.

timpani
01-21-2010, 02:08 PM
My RT makes the same noise. I noticed it right off the bat when I was pulling out of the dealers building. They said that it is normal for the machine to do this.

frank3
01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Also talked to my dealer and he confirms it's normal. I'll put it on ignore.
Anyone have any thoughts concerning using 10-40W Mobil 1 oil instead of BRP recommended 5-40 and the possible impact on warranty?

NancysToy
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
For the most part, don't worry about the clunk, lots of bikes do it. My BMW makes the Spyder seem amazingly silent, by comparison. It's just the way some transmissions are. For an SE5, make sure the Spyder is idling at spec. If the idle is above 1,400 rpm, that is a problem, and could cause excessive clunking. If the Spyder seems to pull after first gear is engaged, that could indicate difficulties with the centrifugal clutch or oil pressure in the shift system. A few early SE5 GS/RS models had this, but the problem should be cured now. Finally, this noise may get better after the Spyder is broken in. If not, check with your dealer to be sure, but I doubt it's a problem.

I would not jeapordize my warranty by insisting that the dealer use an oil that did not meet BRP specs. Unfortunately, a 10W-40 synthetic does not, even though it should be perfectly acceptable. If you want to use the Mobil1, change the oil yourself (and keep good records). Then it would be up to the dealer to prove that the oil caused your failure.

Lamonster
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Mine will do more if it's been sitting for a while. I wouldn't worry about it.

I would use the oil that the dealer recomends if they are doing the oil chang.

SpyderWolf
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
The dealer I used to go to, before they closed, used BRP 10W-40 when doing the oil changes. They actually stated that since we are in a warmer climate down here it was perfectly acceptable.

frank3
01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks again guys. Another issue resolved thanks to SPYDER Lovers.com :bowdown: By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTTY.

Coolbreeze
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
My Gold Wing does this when I put it in first after not using it for a few days. Try double clutching, pull the clutch in, let it out, pull it in again and then put the bike in first. Works for me. I don't know if it will work on the Spyder, I'm waiting for mine to come in.

syclemom
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I have already done 3700 mi. oil chg. ,used Mobiol 1 10w-40 as I have in all my bikes I guess since they released it and I saw it was the only Mobil 1 that does not have the energy conserving additives the others have, We live in southeast Texas and 100+ temps. are quite common in summer so I do not believe this to ever be an issue. In winter we never move bike until it is warmed up to operating temp. and we ride all year round, 26deg. yesterday morn. god bless Gerbing. First gear clunk on our SM and friends SE I feel minor design flaw highlighted by the 1400rpm. idle at a slower idle might not hear.

1VENOM
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. Also talked to my dealer and he confirms it's normal. I'll put it on ignore.
Anyone have any thoughts concerning using 10-40W Mobil 1 oil instead of BRP recommended 5-40 and the possible impact on warranty?
:lecturef_smilie: You don't have to use BRP synthetic oil, Ames oil, or what I use is Castrol Syntec SAE 5W-40. Make sure your using 100% pure synthetic. Check the owners manual on page 90. Castrol works great and only cost around $5.88 per qt. Like Ames oil, Carrol meets all specs so you wont void your warranty. Contact OEM-krb1945 he is a senior member here and can hook you up.:thumbup:

Jester
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
PE 528 clunks into gear just loud enough to let me know what's happening. Doesn't sound or feel bad. No worse than other rides.
:joke: