PDA

View Full Version : RT Gas Gauge

glynnk
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I've got a little over 600 miles on the RT (taking it in Friday for the 600 mile check---gotta hold on to the wallet) and I think I actually miss the GS "bar" gas gage. The RT "needle" gauge seems to "bounce" around quite a bit. Anybody else having this kinda of problem, or is it just me? Really love this thing though!:2thumbs:

Glynnk

Ken5517 / Wish Again
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I've got a little over 600 miles on the RT (taking it in Friday for the 600 mile check---gotta hold on to the wallet) and I think I actually miss the GS "bar" gas gage. The RT "needle" gauge seems to "bounce" around quite a bit. Anybody else having this kinda of problem, or is it just me? Really love this thing though!:2thumbs:

Glynnk

Both of my RTs have done this and I relayed it to BRP

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Mine is real bouncy, too. I'm not sure why they couldn't also retain the digital displays...perhaps different sending units. Having both would be nice, and would be in keeping with the "deluxe" nature of the RT-S. I also think they could dampen the gas gauge action without adding baffles to the tank, perhaps with a capacitor or resistor across the connections, if it is actually an analog gauge, and not a digital-to-analog conversion like the speedo. Annoying, but I guess we'll get used to it.

MarkLawson
01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Mine too :sour:

TicketBait
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I was told that motorcycles don't have fuel gages and ya ought to know how to look in the tank, and pay attention.........then i questioned this and this was the typical response :
My motorcycle doesn't have a fuel gage, which works out OK most of the time, but I'd feel a lot better if I at least had a better estimate of what was going on in the tank.

so since BRP gave us an analog gauge we can be thankful that all we need do is look at it when we start and when we stop at various locations, I am confident for the RTs 2014 edition they will have a more sophisticated computer with a greater range than the current 180 miles, but isn't it nice to know your almost on empty at 150 :2thumbs:

lets instead have with us a syphoning hose and 20 bucks if we start smelling fumes that we can get a toyota prius or Hummer to pull over and share:chat:

NancysToy
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I was told that motorcycles don't have fuel gages and ya ought to know how to look in the tank, and pay attention.........
Motorcycles did not used to have fuel gauges. Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves. When you ran out of gas, you switched to reserve and found a gas station. Not always reliable, or sufficient, hence adaption of the trick of a siphon hose carried inside the handlebars. No joke!

The advent of fuel injected motorcycles, electric fuel pumps, and automatic fuel valves changed all that. Suddenly, there was no reserve. This left two options, a "low fuel" warning light, or a fuel gauge......or both as we have on the Spyder. Can't pay attention to the tank anymore, so we have to pay attention to the dash display.

bikeguy
01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves.

I always liked reserve tanks, valves, etc. much better than gas gauges. But even with a reserve valve, I still managed to run out of gas 6 miles from home. A friendly motorist stopped to help and I asked if he would stop at the Gulf Station in Bronte, Texas and tell the lady keeping books in the back that Cotton was out of gas 6 miles out of town. Then, when she stopped laughing, ask if she would bring me a gallon or two. He did so and, my wife later told me, when she stopped laughing he shook his head and said, "He said you'd do that."

Nothing's a sure thing except my lovely bride's sense of humor.

Cotton

boborgera
01-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Motorcycles did not used to have fuel gauges. Instead, they had reserve fuel tanks, reserve tank baffles, or reserve valves. When you ran out of gas, you switched to reserve and found a gas station. Not always reliable, or sufficient, hence adaption of the trick of a siphon hose carried inside the handlebars. No joke!

The advent of fuel injected motorcycles, electric fuel pumps, and automatic fuel valves changed all that. Suddenly, there was no reserve. This left two options, a "low fuel" warning light, or a fuel gauge......or both as we have on the Spyder. Can't pay attention to the tank anymore, so we have to pay attention to the dash display.

:chat: <<<safety police<<<

The safety police did away with reserve valve.
Don't want you run out of gas,
And stall out before you can turn the valve to reserve.
Possibly causing a accident. :D

Lamonster
01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
I've always looked at my trip meter more than my fuel gauge. :doorag:

groundeffect
01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey guys.

I've recently sold my Yamaha XT250 dual purpose motorcycle, and I'm waiting for my RS 2010 to arrive (waiting is not fun, haha, it's taking forever, haha).

So, for me I'm am 100% coming from the world of motorcycles with absolutely no fuel gauge and just a reserve vavle that I would switch from MAIN to RESERVE when I felt the sputter of low fuel. When I first got my XT250 I actually filled the tank, started clocking the miles on the odometer and off I went, clocking how many miles I got in the main tank. Then when I ran out, I switched the reverse tank and kept counting. When I finally did run out of gas I made a note on how much gas I had in each setting, then pulled out a 1L bottle of fuel (empty soda bottle), refueled enough to get me to the nearest station. Then, each time I filled the tank to the top, I would reset Trip A, my fuel gauge haha. That is how I would know I needed fuel.

So, I'm soooo looking forward to having a fuel gauge and low fuel light, instead of tracking my fuel via the odometer. Then I'll be only using my odometer for quick look once in a while, with a smile, of more and more fun miles on my Spyder. I guess when the fuel goes low, the dash will light up and tell me.

Another cool thing about the RS I'm really looking forward to, which the XT250 didn't have, an on-board thermometer. Very nice feature.
Cheers guys.

NancysToy
01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
:agree: Most of my bikes never had a trip meter, though. Must be another one of those new-fangled inventions. :roflblack: My Triumphs had them, but for most other machines it was pretty high tech.

Lamonster
01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
:agree: Most of my bikes never had a trip meter, though. Must be another one of those new-fangled inventions. :roflblack: My Triumphs had them, but for most other machines it was pretty high tech.
I didn't start riding till the 70's and my oldest bike was a 69 and as far as I can remember they all had a trip meter. :dontknow:

2Gunns
01-18-2010, 09:43 AM

Glynnk

My RT-S fuel guage is "extremely" bouncy.... my light is coming on and needle is hitting empty, yet the most I've put in the tank is 4.5 gallons. I haven't push it to the point of running out, seems odd for a 6.6 GALLON TANK.

I as well, used the trip as my fuel guage on previous motorcycles.

EJody
02-16-2010, 02:40 AM
The gauge on my RT-S is in the red about 110 miles in, with easily 2.5 or 3 gallons of fuel left. WAY not accurate. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ken5517 / Wish Again
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
The gauge on my RT-S is in the red about 110 miles in, with easily 2.5 or 3 gallons of fuel left. WAY not accurate. Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this?

I use the trip meter set a zero when I fill up.

At the half way mark I should have at least 80 miles on the trip meter, if not then I am getting less then 30 mpg. :spyder:

I have run the gauge through the red and the needle dead bottom on empty (I was close to home for this gamble) and continued until I got to my regular gas station.

I was at 153.7 miles on the trip meter and still was not able to put more than 5.8 gals in the RT :ohyea:

Neez
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
With those old bikes it paid to practice turning the reserve valve on quickly, while riding, lest you run out in the mountains, uphill on a steep grade.

Questions
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
mine too!!!

DeeKay53
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree with Lamont, I use the trip meter also. My gauge bounces all over the place and I rode with the warning light on for quite a distance. Took 19 litres, still had 6 litres left according to the specs.

ynot9771
02-17-2010, 01:33 AM

Yep ... exactly the same problem. I am due for my 600 this week and plan to bring this up. I have been trusting the trip meter ONLY. If this is a 'normal problem' then it will be the trip meter from here on out. So far the gas gauge is useless. I was driving home on a highway and the warning light came on and in a bit the gauge read totally empty. I figured in my head even at 25mpg I had at least 2 gallons left. So I got too nervous and exited for gas. Sure enough it took about 2 gallons. For now I have to only trust the trip meter.
Some times I get 25mpg and others I get about 29.5mpg. I think the spread depends on me learning to use the gears properly ... I think.
We just love this RT-S thing!!!

Tony

Lamonster
02-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I look at the fuel gauge much like I do a GPS. A GPS may or may not get you to your exact location but it will get you close enough. The fuel gauge is the same to me, I look at my gauge and if it's getting low I look at mileage and see just how low I am. I would never count on the gauge only.

westgl
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
The gas gauge on my RT-SE5 does Not bounce.

It seems rock solid.

The Demo bike I rode was very bouncy.

They must have fixed it.

Westgl

syclemom
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
We got an early Demo #186 that had not been assembled on Jan. 5, gas guage bouncy, dealer ordered and replaced fuel pump assembly , did not correct problem I suppose first year growing pains, Is very consistent empty at 4.5 gal. 150 miles comfortably last tank mileage improved slightly at 29.4 my wife is not easy on it also had trailer module go to gropund lost fuse that feeds it also feeds reverse actuator, brake lights never failed just running and turn signals.Dealer had a module replaced in few minutes .

glynnk
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Talked to the dealer today about the bouncing gas gauge and an email I received fron Carlo suggesting the dealer could fix the problem. Dealer called BRP and they're shipping out a replacement gauge. The impression I have is that it's different although someone else posted a comment elsewhere that they had a replacement as well, but that it still "bounced". So I guess I'll wait and see.

Glynnk

manoman14
02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
My gauge is rock solid also. Makes me glad I got a high PE number. I do believe BRP is really trying to get it right.:2thumbs:

Lamonster
02-25-2010, 08:15 PM
I never really noticed before but the gauge on this RT does not bounce. Maybe they just had a bad run of gauges. :dontknow:

dave01
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I never really noticed before but the gauge on this RT does not bounce. Maybe they just had a bad run of gauges. :dontknow:

I'll take mine back to the dealer after Daytona. Maybe it will heal itself on the trip and quit BoUnCiNg.

NancysToy
02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Mine is a bouncer, and doesn't light up. I'll add it to the list of things that must be addressed. I would think a resistor or something across the leads would help dampen it, but I am no good at that type of electronics.

Jester
03-03-2010, 06:57 PM
So if you gentlemen do not trust the gauge (me either), then what do you consider a minimum dependable range on the trip meter?:dontknow:

With only two fillups, PE528 gets near the red on 80 miles.
First time, it only took 3 gallons to fill. Still going on the second tank.

Thanks,

NancysToy
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
So if you gentlemen do not trust the gauge (me either), then what do you consider a minimum dependable range on the trip meter?:dontknow:

With only two fillups, PE528 gets near the red on 80 miles.
First time, it only took 3 gallons to fill. Still going on the second tank.

Thanks,
I have never trusted Nancy's RS Spyder past 120 miles...although it has squeaked out just over 150. I doubt my RT will do that well. Only getting 21 mpg so far. That makes for 100 miles per gas station.

bodymanpainter
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I am getting about 26 mpg with mine so far with 1000 miles on it.

Jester
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the range reports. Was hoping it would do better.

I also found that somehow my trip meter had been 'paused'. Too many new toys on this thing..

Have the first one in my town and it sure does get the looks. Mostly very favorable comments.

Cappy

ThreeWheels
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I heard something interesting. I mentioned to my dealer about the crappy gas gauge and asked if there was an easy way to reset the trip meter to make that more useful.
He said that BRP has the new design for the gas gauge in stock.
New Design? Maybe BRP has a fix?
More to follow when I get more info.

ThreeWheels
03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Some further news. As far as I can figure out. My dealer is not really clear with this.

It seems the gas gauge has been redesigned, but the new design is not yet released by quality control for general distribution.

So, from what I gather, a newly designed gas gauge is in Beta testing. How long that will is beyond me.

SeaBreeze
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Have same issue with my RT gas gauge. But after doing some checking. When my low fuel light comes on solid I can go an additional 44 mile before I ran out of gas.

Have been getting between 30 and 33 mpg, depending on how hard I drive. Have 1200 miles on RT currently. Upgraded from RS to RT and Love the new ride.:2thumbs::ohyea::clap::clap::yes:

glynnk
03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Get my "new" gas gage this Thursday. I'll post a review.

Glynnk

Jornie1
03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Per usual, Lamont is dead on... the fuel gage is a relative quantity instrument on a motorcycle. Take the time to determine how far...how many miles you have in your tank... then judge your fuel needs by distance on the odometer...not the fuel gage.. Len

ThreeWheels
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Per usual, Lamont is dead on... the fuel gage is a relative quantity instrument on a motorcycle. Take the time to determine how far...how many miles you have in your tank... then judge your fuel needs by distance on the odometer...not the fuel gage.. Len

I have to disagree. My last two motorcycles, the gas gauge was remarkably accurate. A 1984 Yamaha Venture, and a 1993 Honda ST1100.
I got quite used to relying on the gas gauge. So, in 2010, relying solely on the trip meter is a step backward. This would be acceptable, but for one thing. The low fuel warning light comes on with the tank 40% full. For me, having the idiot light go on is impossible to ignore, like the phone ringing.

Jornie1
03-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Can't ignore what kind of light???

I have to disagree. My last two motorcycles, the gas gauge was remarkably accurate. A 1984 Yamaha Venture, and a 1993 Honda ST1100.
I got quite used to relying on the gas gauge. So, in 2010, relying solely on the trip meter is a step backward. This would be acceptable, but for one thing. The low fuel warning light comes on with the tank 40% full. For me, having the idiot light go on is impossible to ignore, like the phone ringing.

ThreeWheels
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Can't ignore what kind of light???

The idiot light that goes off with the low fuel warning. Last time, with the old gauge, the low fuel warning light went on when I still had over 3 gallons of gas in a 6.6 gallon tank.

Got the new gauge installed this morning. Filled up the tank and I've gone about 35 miles so far. It appears to be down by 1/8th ? Not sure yet so I'm making no claims about the accuracy (or inaccuracy).

It does, however, read fairly steady. It doesn't bounce around anymore like a whirling dervish.

outdoorallens
03-18-2010, 12:17 AM
I am getting about 26 mpg with mine so far with 1000 miles on it.
angie gets about 31 to 33mpg. i only get 27to 29.. 1845 miles, i use 87 and she said she uses 92 octane. well may-be thats the differance:thumbup:. great ride, still have to wait for them 1800's to catch up..:lecturef_smilie: uuh may-be that's why the 27mpg.

strats
03-18-2010, 12:24 AM
I have to hand it to BRP, they have done something I never thought possible...

They have found a sender / gauge combination that is even more inaccurate than the combo on my GL1500.
When the needle eventually stops bouncing and is grounded in the red, I still have somewhere between 7 - 8 litres left of a 25 litre tank.
I learned a long time ago to use a trip meter as a fuel gauge.:2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
The good news is the gauge stopped bouncing...........
And the bad news, as expected, it's still as innacurate as before.
The low fuel warning light came on at about 100 miles this morning.
Must be the sending unit.

glynnk
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Got the "new" gage put in this morning. Solid as a rock....I'll see how accurate it is in the next day or two.

Glynnk

ThreeWheels
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
My dealer just called me about the gas gauge. Guess what. It turns out the gas gauge IS accurate. The tank specs are off, by about a gallon.

They took the the tank, drained it and then filled it with a measured quantity. It takes 5.5 gallons to completely fill the tank, not 6.6. The light comes on with about 1 gallon left in the tank. This is good to know. VERY good to know. Last week, I ignored the light thinking---I've only gone 110 miles, I've got PLENTY of gas. I went another 30 miles. I stopped and filled up, taking about 5.3 gallons.

So at 30 MPG, (I'm not there yet) you should start looking for gas at 135 miles. That's poor for a touring bike, but it is what it is. I've asked to see if they might possible remap the fuel injection to give better gas mileage when you're in 5th gear. We'll see what happens.

NancysToy
03-25-2010, 03:03 PM
My dealer just called me about the gas gauge. Guess what. It turns out the gas gauge IS accurate. The tank specs are off, by about a gallon.

They took the the tank, drained it and then filled it with a measured quantity. It takes 5.5 gallons to completely fill the tank, not 6.6. The light comes on with about 1 gallon left in the tank. This is good to know. VERY good to know. Last week, I ignored the light thinking---I've only gone 110 miles, I've got PLENTY of gas. I went another 30 miles. I stopped and filled up, taking about 5.3 gallons.

So at 30 MPG, (I'm not there yet) you should start looking for gas at 135 miles. That's poor for a touring bike, but it is what it is. I've asked to see if they might possible remap the fuel injection to give better gas mileage when you're in 5th gear. We'll see what happens.
Ouch!

glynnk
03-25-2010, 03:19 PM

That's awful and represents a false advertising claim on the part of BRP. The specs clearly show we should have 6.6 gallon tanks. I'm upset. Has anybody contacted BRP about this?

Glynnk

ThreeWheels
03-25-2010, 03:29 PM
That's awful and represents a false advertising claim on the part of BRP. The specs clearly show we should have 6.6 gallon tanks. I'm upset. Has anybody contacted BRP about this?

Glynnk

I'm pretty unhappy also. Is it false, or is it just a mistake converting liters to gallons ?

I just got the call about 90 minutes ago. My dealer said that he had contacted the BRP tech people and they were not happy campers.

I also asked if it was possible to fit a bigger tank. It seems unlikely. I'm not sure what happens next, but I believe there will be a change in the published specs, rather than a change in the actual gas tank.

One thing seems certain. I don't think there will be any Spyder RT's in the Iron Butt competition anytime soon.

spyryder
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Others have posted putting in over 6 gallons after running out on their RS/GS. The RT uses the same tank as the RS/GS.....same part number for all years and models.:lecturef_smilie:

glynnk
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty unhappy also. Is it false, or is it just a mistake converting liters to gallons ?

I just got the call about 90 minutes ago. My dealer said that he had contacted the BRP tech people and they were not happy campers.

I also asked if it was possible to fit a bigger tank. It seems unlikely. I'm not sure what happens next, but I believe there will be a change in the published specs, rather than a change in the actual gas tank.

One thing seems certain. I don't think there will be any Spyder RT's in the Iron Butt competition anytime soon.

The BRP advertisement in their glossy brochure clearly reads--6.6 U.S. gallons. While I've got no major complaints with my RT-S this hacks me off to no end. I've emailed BRP Tech Support to see what they say.

Glynnk

spyryder
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
The BRP advertisement in their glossy brochure clearly reads--6.6 U.S. gallons. While I've got no major complaints with my RT-S this hacks me off to no end. I've emailed BRP Tech Support to see what they say.

Glynnk

6.775 as posted here:

http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/5484-final-answer-on-fuel-tank-size/page__p__46926

NancysToy
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Others have posted putting in over 6 gallons after running out on their RS/GS. The RT uses the same tank as the RS/GS.....same part number for all years and models.:lecturef_smilie:
Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? :D

spyryder
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
6.3 :D:
http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/topic/3425-out-of-gas/page__hl__capacity__fromsearch__1

glynnk
03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? :D

Scotty--Yep...very confused. What the heck is "head space"?

Glynnk

NancysToy
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Scotty--Yep...very confused. What the heck is "head space"?

Glynnk
All containers, especially for volatile liquids like gasoline, need a certain amount of unused spaced for content expansion, and allowing the tank vent to breathe. Usually, it is about 10%. In addition, the shape of most tanks, combined with the neck for "no-lead" gas nozzles, does not allow filling right to the very top.

glynnk
03-25-2010, 06:38 PM
All containers, especially for volatile liquids like gasoline, need a certain amount of unused spaced for content expansion, and allowing the tank vent to breathe. Usually, it is about 10%. In addition, the shape of most tanks, combined with the neck for "no-lead" gas nozzles, does not allow filling right to the very top.
So this is an industry wide common practice to cite gas capacity which includes the "head space"?

Glynnk
P.S. I know you've got better things to do than fiddle with my dumb questions and I want you to know that I appreciate your patience.

boborgera
03-25-2010, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;191555]Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? :D[/QUOTE

Scotty
The plot thickens, I have a brochure in front of me now. got it from my dealer this Sat.
RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
And the old brochure from my GS= 7.13.
The most i've gotten in was 5.9 and the tank wasn't empty. But it had to be close.:yikes:

ThreeWheels
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=NancysToy;191555]Yeah, I'm not convinced, as yet. BTW, the 6.6 gallon capacity includes head space. It is not all usable. For those that are upset over this, the GS/RS specs say 7.13 gallons, although the GS shop manual states the correct 6.6. Confused yet? Shall we talk about the advertised 100 hp vs. the 95.0 stated on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin now? :D[/QUOTE

Scotty
The plot thickens, I have a brochure in front of me now. got it from my dealer this Sat.
RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
The most i've gotten in was 5.9 and the tank wasn't empty. But it had to be close.:yikes:
Call it anything you want. The dealer put 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank and it was filled up to the nozzle neck. Maybe you could put a little more gas in. I'm an engineer, and I'll take empirical measurements over volumes any day.
One thing, the gas mileage supposedly goes up with octane. I started running 87 octane, I was getting 25 mpg. Now I'm running 89 octane, 27 mpg.
Where do you get 91 octane ?? I see 87, 89, and the next jump up is 93 octane. Maybe I just haven't looked for it enough.

Net net, it looks like you have about 4.5 gallons of usable volume before you get the warning light. That gives you about 30 miles to go find gas.
If you wait until you burn 5.4 gallons---I wish you luck.

NancysToy
03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Scotty
RT = 6.6 US Gal. [25l]
RS = 7.1 US Gal. [27l]
BRP once acknowledged on their original Website that the 7.13 figure (which rounds to 7.1) was an error, but somehow resurrected the 7 gallon figure. The shop manual states 6.6 for both machines. There are other errors in the spec sheets and Owner's Guides, like the RT wheel track, so take the figures with a grain of salt.

[quote=boborgera;191609]
Call it anything you want. The dealer put 5.5 gallons of gas in the tank and it was filled up to the nozzle neck. Maybe you could put a little more gas in. I'm an engineer, and I'll take empirical measurements over volumes any day.
One thing, the gas mileage supposedly goes up with octane. I started running 87 octane, I was getting 25 mpg. Now I'm running 89 octane, 27 mpg.
Where do you get 91 octane ?? I see 87, 89, and the next jump up is 93 octane. Maybe I just haven't looked for it enough.

Net net, it looks like you have about 4.5 gallons of usable volume before you get the warning light. That gives you about 30 miles to go find gas.
I believe you. It is just confusing. Same gas tank, according to the parts fiche, and I have put as much as 5.9 gallons into Nancy's GS. Usually about 5.2-5.4 gallons at the low fuel warning. My RTS low fuel light came on just as I pulled up to the pump last week, and I put in 4.78 gallons. I wonder if the attitude (tilt) of the tank, as installed, is making a difference? Also makes you wonder if the tank is actually able to drain completely. Many pickup points are above the tank bottom, to avoid sucking water. That makes for more unusable space.

boborgera
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
[quote=boborgera;191609]
mpg.

91 Octane New Jersey. But i only use 93. Also my last few fill up's I've been avg. 33 mpg.

ThreeWheels
03-25-2010, 09:08 PM
I see you're in NJ. What exit ?

VaughnCat
03-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Cat talked to our dealer and they said they can take care of the bouncing gauge with our next visit. As far as tank capacity goes, I have put over 5.5 gallons in the tank after the warning light had been on a while. Our dealer said the part # for the gas tank is the same for the sport trike as it is for the RT-S . . . . I plan to throw a gallon of gas in the trunk and run the tank out one of these days just to see what it will hold. . . . .

boborgera
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I see you're in NJ. What exit ?

I'm in North Jersey, No exits here just Jug handles.:roflblack:

M2Wild
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Bouncing gas guage ... sounds just like the ones on my jet ski. They musta borrowed parts from that department.:roflblack:

ThreeWheels
03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm in North Jersey, No exits here just Jug handles.:roflblack:

At least they got rid of most of those damn circles. I grew up in North Jersey. Morris County. One Day. I will be taking my Spyder down Iron Mountain Road to see if it's as death defying as I remember it when I first learned to drive.
I doubt it, but I'm sure it will still be a nice ride.

boborgera
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=SKS06460;191742]At least they got rid of most of those damn circles. I grew up in North Jersey. Morris County.

Don't you remember how the circles work?

The biggest and most dilapidated vehicles have the right of way. :ohyea:

Gordy
03-26-2010, 09:13 AM
not a good idea to run your fuel tank dry, fuel pump depends on fuel for lub and cooling can damage pump.Ford had a similar problem with fuel guages a few years ago( needle bounce )and we put some kind of module on the back apparenly to slow the signal from tank unit

ThreeWheels
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's what we need. NOT a calculation of the tank volume, but an actual measurement of how much usable fuel can be carried.

As an example, when measuring the tank capacity, you have to take the volume of the tank, and then subtract the volume taken up by the pump and fuel sending unit. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank when the pump stops . There may be some level of fuel required to maintain the prime for the pump.

Here's what I'm advocating, and I think my dealer will be able to do this.
Hook up an external catch basin to the fuel pump. Run teh fuel pump inside the tank until it no longer pumps. The tank may or may not be empty, but this will be the absolute lowest level of usable fuel in the tank.
Next, add 1/2 gallon of gas. Wait five minurtes and see if the low level warning light goes off. If it stays on, put in another 1/2 gallon of fuel. Wait five minutes and check on the light. Continue adding fuel 1/2 gallon at a time until the low level goes offf. That tells us how much gas is in the tank when the warning light goes on.

glynnk
03-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Here's what we need. NOT a calculation of the tank volume, but an actual measurement of how much usable fuel can be carried.

As an example, when measuring the tank capacity, you have to take the volume of the tank, and then subtract the volume taken up by the pump and fuel sending unit. Also, how much fuel is left in the tank when the pump stops . There may be some level of fuel required to maintain the prime for the pump.

Here's what I'm advocating, and I think my dealer will be able to do this.
Hook up an external catch basin to the fuel pump. Run teh fuel pump inside the tank until it no longer pumps. The tank may or may not be empty, but this will be the absolute lowest level of usable fuel in the tank.
Next, add 1/2 gallon of gas. Wait five minurtes and see if the low level warning light goes off. If it stays on, put in another 1/2 gallon of fuel. Wait five minutes and check on the light. Continue adding fuel 1/2 gallon at a time until the low level goes offf. That tells us how much gas is in the tank when the warning light goes on.

Sounds like a good plan....keep us posted. As I've said elsewhere, I didn't by my RT-S for the gas mileage, but it sure would be nice to have a 6.6 gallon tank to work with as advertised...every little bit helps.

Glynnk

ThreeWheels
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Here's the latest from Gargano's in East Haven.
They are an excellent dealership.

As per your request I have re-drained the fuel tank. I drained the tank with the fuel pump and got it to where the pump was no longer pushing fuel. I then added fuel in the tank until the fuel light went off. The light went off at 1.5 Gallons. That should equate to roughly 30-45 miles to empty (depending on the fuel grade and driving habits).

Tonight on the way home, the fuel light went on. I drove for another 10 or 12 miles and stopped for gas. The tank took 4.5 gallons. That indicates the useful capacity is a little more than 5.5 gallons, but less than 6, maybe about 5.75

glynnk
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I've had a couple of calls (messages) from Carlo (the latest this afternoon) about my recent email on the gas tank capacity issue for the RT. BRP engineering confirms a 6.6 (25 liter)gallon tank for the RT. In addition, Carlo stated that the low gas warning light should come on with 1.3 gallons left. He went on to state that he has personally put in 24.5 liters of gas in a Spyder. So.........we'll see.

Glynnk

NancysToy
04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I've had a couple of calls (messages) from Carlo (the latest this afternoon) about my recent email on the gas tank capacity issue for the RT. BRP engineering confirms a 6.6 (25 liter)gallon tank for the RT. In addition, Carlo stated that the low gas warning light should come on with 1.3 gallons left. He went on to state that he has personally put in 24.5 liters of gas in a Spyder. So.........we'll see.

Glynnk
I am surprised at the 24.5 liter (6.47 gallon) statement, especially since a lot of us were warned not to top off the tank. The rest corresponds with what I have seen on mine. Assuming a practical tank volume with about 10% head capacity, if you stop when the no-lead ring vent spits back, that leaves a six gallon fuel capacity. I had the fuel light come on just as I pulled to the gas pump, and put in 4.73 gallons, which leaves a 1.3 gallon reserve after the light. That leaves me a 25-40 mile range after the light before I am Found On Road Dead. It jives!